Because it is lucrative to play in the University Pep Band and I love to watch Sportsball, I picked up my trumpet last week for the first time in nine months. Unfortunately, I got sick immediately afterward--maybe it was a cold because the weather is changing, maybe Dizzy Louise is full of plague and just needed a bath. After sniffling and otherwise being miserable for a couple days, I cleaned out my trumpet and (miracle!) have already started feeling better. I spent half of the winter last year with pneumonia, strep throat, or bronchitis so it was probably a good idea to sanitize the living hell out of her anyway.

I felt almost human this morning, so I rode to and from the gym again and made a personal-best-since-weight-gain for calorie burn (I loves the cardio, I loves it). I did some lifting, too, because it just doesn't feel like a gym day without noodle limbs, and was able to move up to the 12.5 lb weights on a couple of arm liftybobs. Victory is plentiful!

The bad news it that I walked all the way to rehearsal to find out, in fact, that it had been cancelled. The good news is that I walked two miles I most certainly would have avoided for reasons like "but what if it raaaaaaains" and "but I am le tired". 

Tomorrow is gym day again and I am going to sleep in my clothes so I can trudge towards my bike with pants, but  without facing the accompanying Pants Dance. 

Last night was one of nightmares. It was basically me watching my life four years ago if things had made a turn for the worst, so when I woke up two hours early I absolutely did NOT want to go back to sleep. By the time I started getting tired again my alarm was about to go off. Ugh.

rough-morning-shirt-on-backwards.jpg

It took about three hours to pull myself together. I managed to ride to the gym, do some lifting (bicep curls, tricep liftybobs, over head press, squats, and something else) but once it was time to do cardio on the Widow Maker, my anxiety from an atrocious night's sleep had come to a head. I cope with anxiety blerg while out in public one of three ways: wait it out, text someone to talk me down, or get myself home. The first two were a bust today, so I rode home a little earlier than usual. 

GFvVTtT.gif

I'm okay with this. I ride to and from the gym not only as a good warm up, way of cutting cost, and because it's faster than walking; it's also a way to console myself that I did something active despite the powerful want to huddle in a blanket fort. Anyway, the contractor was still in the house when I got back. While I waited for him to finish up so I could shower, I washed all the dishes (CHORES! HA!). I'm most likely going to just whimper at Husband until he offers to cook dinner, and spend the rest of the evening knitting. Tomorrow is Veterans Day and I intend to get lots of free coffee and a meal, but I might head back to the gym to give it another go. :)

Terminal Lance, festive AF

1472005583733.gif

• Like 1

The progress is slow, but by damn it's going. My last trip to the gym saw personal bests in a few areas: I upped the weight of my dumbbells by 2.5 pounds and burned 582 calories in 36 minutes on an unholy cross between an elliptical and a step machine. My previous record was 526 in 35 minutes, so it's safe to say I SMASHED it. 

I've been keeping track by taking pictures of the end result screen. Having tangible progress has been a huge motivator. At the 20 minute mark when my brain is like, "I get it OKAY so like CAN WE LEAVE" I know for a fact I can do it. As soon as I have 15 minutes left, it just feels like I'm on the down hill stretch... in, like, a burning muscle, sweat in the eye, preliminary stages of deodorant failure kind of way. 

The last four weeks I went: once, twice, thrice, and twice again. Last week I was cleaning up the house (sheetrock dust is worse than glitter) so while I was active, I wasn't necessarily in the gym. That's okay! Hurricane recovery is a beast.

• Like 1