• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

forestgrump

Toronto?

I'd be down for a climbing adventure, though just saying so makes me nervous at the thought of *gasp* meeting new people! Who come from the internet! But I've climbed before, so that's familiar at least. I just hope my shoulder is up for it.......

I feel this! I have a lowkey bad knee (fell down a flight of stairs or two in my day) but climbing with other people is fun and the (albeit small sample size of) folks that I've met through here have been lovely and supportive. 

CLIMBING!!!!

I like the idea of climbing! I'd also like to suggest that maybe we plan on meeting up for breakfast first, or even just bring our own snacks and hang out a bit before moving on to the actual activity portion of the meetup, so that we have a chance to chat and get to know the new people a bit! 

Also, there was some talk on the Academy Facebook group and at the last meetup about maybe making it an automatic monthly thing instead of organizing each one individually. That way, although not everyone would be able to come to every single meetup, at least everyone would know when they are and be able to plan ahead. My suggestion is the second Sunday of every month, which is totally arbitrary, so if anyone has a better idea that's cool too :P

• Like 1

How's May 8th for everyone?

The only problem with climbing is that it can get pricy-- Joe Rockhead's is $28 for the pass, shoes and harness IF you already know how to belay, if you don't then you need to pay for a lesson as well, and in a mixed group it might get difficult if some people can belay and others can't. Perhaps POCR again since there are a bunch of new people, and we can figure out the climbing situation when we meet in person?

Both the Boulderz gym and Rock Oasis look like they have fairly extensive bouldering walls, which would only require a shoe rental and day pass (and maybe not even the shoe rental, since any place I've been lets you boulder in regular clean shoes if you want to), no harnesses, belaying or lessons required, so they might be better destinations for non-belayers, and anyone who can belay could tackle the top ropes if they desired. That said, it's hard to judge the difficulty from the pictures, so I don't know what the selection of 'beginner' problems would be. From what I could tell, Joe Rockhead's is only top rope, therefore all the things + lessons would be needed, but I had a hard time navigating their website, so I could be wrong...

May 8 should work for me. As you can probably tell, I'm biased towards a climbing adventure, but POCR would also be cool, so consider me easy going about it all.

Ah, good point! In that case, I would definitely be down for a bouldering session. Bouldering is also more social for people who don't know each other yet, since it doesn't require pairing off!

May 8 is Mother's Day, I won't be able to make it. If we want to hold off on bouldering until the time after that, I should be able to wander down to Rock Oasis and ask them about bouldering there?

2 hours ago, maegs said:

May 8 is Mother's Day, I won't be able to make it.

I was just about to post the same thing, I didn't realize it was so early this year until just this weekend...

Shall we find a time in June/July for bouldering? 

(I haven't gone by Rock Oasis but if I know there's a deadline I'll make sure it gets done!)

I'm in the GTA from the 20th-26th for a wedding in Peterborough, no word yet one whether I'll have time for meet-ups but, as per maegs, I'm open to the possibility.  ;)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

I'm in the GTA from the 20th-26th for a wedding in Peterborough, no word yet one whether I'll have time for meet-ups but, as per maegs, I'm open to the possibility.  ;)

A word of advice - if you're driving to Peterborough on a Friday or back to TO on a Sunday, DO NOT take the 401/115. Unless you like sitting in traffic hell. Take Hwy. 7 through Port Perry instead, if you like no traffic jams (except going through Port Perry, sometimes) and scenic countryside :P  (map) Also, gas is waaaaaayyy ridiculously cheaper up towards Peterborough

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maegs said:

A word of advice - if you're driving to Peterborough on a Friday or back to TO on a Sunday, DO NOT take the 401/115.

It's the girlfriends' stomping grounds; she'll be driving.  I'm just along to look good in a vest and tie while drinking as much free beer as I possibly can.  ;)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, maegs said:

A word of advice - if you're driving in the GTA, DO NOT take roads. Unless you like sitting in traffic hell. Use your jet pack instead.

FTFY

• Like 1

On 2016-06-06 at 10:32 PM, maegs said:

Shall we find a time in June/July for bouldering? 

(I haven't gone by Rock Oasis but if I know there's a deadline I'll make sure it gets done!)

June would be out for me, I have 10 million things going on, but July might be doable. I should only have about 8.3 million things going on then...

• Like 1

New to the site and to the rebellion but SUPER interested in meeting up for something awesome and fitness based in Toronto! I will keep an eye out and see what is happening! There are so many neat opportunities to do things, especially with this being summertime and all.

*quietly steps back into the shadows to watch and listen*

• Like 1

A rather belated reply on my part, considering the 10th has already passed, but the 24th is no good, I work Sundays. And you rugby Saturdays, so maybe try again in the fall? Fewer cottage/camping/etc. trips then too.