QueenAlice's Tumble Down the Fitness Rabbit Hole

I'm Alice. Alice isn't my real name, but it'll do for now.

I'm not particularly out of shape, but I'm not particularly in shape, either...

Begin at the beginning...

I'm incredibly over educated. I completed my PhD in early 2014 (yes, you may call me Dr. Alice ;)) and just recently accepted a new job doing exactly what I am interested in. This job change is the catalyst that pushed me to join this community. I will be transitioning to working from home 100% and thought it would be nice to have a great group of supportive nerds to keep me motivated to not become a lump in front of my computer.

I plan to join my first 6 week challenge in January, so I will start a thread specific to that, then.

I will update this once I have learned a bit more about how things work around here. Cheers!

...and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

-- Alice, Recruit.

• Like 2
"Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." 

-- Red Queen, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll

Thanks SevenofSeven and haniyaj!

I'm excited to see that the updates are posted for the challenge starting in January, I've been waiting to see what the changes would be. Now I feel like I can really start planning a bit.

I am a little bummed I missed the last challenge. I'm not really a new year resolutions kind of girl and I feel like that is what this upcoming challenge will seem like... But I'm not doing this because "it's a new year, new you!!" thing, it just happened to fall in January. ANWAY... I think a 4 week format will be a really good length for me, especially starting out and trying to form these new habits. I will make a thread in the challenge once that is started but for now I want to brainstorm a few of my goals so I don't forget them along my journey...

Main Quests

• Lose 10 lbs
  • Run a 5k
  • Consistently make good food choices

SMART Quests

• Walk 2-3 mornings per week with my Mom
  • At least 30 active minutes per day (including weekends)
  • Start morning with a healthy breakfast (can be a smoothie, eggs, etc), not just a cup of coffee
  • Keep healthy snack options ready to go in the fridge to avoid binging on snack foods because I'm hungry NOW (food prep on Sunday evenings)
  • Find my current time threshold for planks/wall sits etc and increase it (maybe by 2x, 3x? is that reasonable for a 4 week time-frame?)
  • Sub 8 minute mile
  • Some type of flexibility challenge... I used to be able to get both my hands completely on the ground while standing straight legged, maybe I'll try for that again. Right now I can barely touch my toes.
  • Yoga. Maybe 2-3 times per week?
  • Body weight training challenges. I'll have to define specifci goals as these come up.

Life Quests

• Get into a solid groove for work/life balance now that I will be 100% working from home
  • Optimize work scheduling 
  • Become a better friend through more consistent communication

On top of these goals, I would also like to eventually get a cross-fit type set up going at home. We live on a working farm, so I have lots of objects available to make a pretty cool set up, I think. Plus a barn with lots of empty space to utilize :) I already have a huge, heavy tractor tire, chains, sledge hammers... I don't really know what I will need/want to use. I think that will come with time and training. One project I hope to do this winter is to build one of those three height jump boxes. I've found a bunch of blue prints online for one, but if anyone here has successfully built one and wants to share their method, I would be all ears :) 

Barn Gym Goals

• Jump box
  • Pull up bar
  • Hang a rope for rope climbing?

We are also planning to get some chickens in the spring so we can have fresh eggs. So another project we have for this winter is to build a chicken coop. We've been talking about getting chickens for over a year, but now that I will be actually living at home, I'm hoping we can get organized and execute project CHICKENS! A few projects we have in mind for that..

Farm Goals

• Chicken Coop
  • Chicken Moat (more on this later ;) )
  • Chicken tractor that can be "plugged in" to the chicken moat

-- Alice, Recruit.

• Like 2
"Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." 

I've just joined my first challenge! My thread is here in case you would like to join me on my quests! 

I'll be posting my day-to-day here and challenge relevant updates there.

--Alice, Rebel.

Hey Alice,

nice threads and some really cool goals :)

Living on your own farm and being able to build your own barn gym sounds amazing.

I especially like your Life-goals :) if you find good tricks for the part with consistence communication tell me, I've been working on that for 4-5 years know and haven't it figured out yet.

My NF-Character: https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/58102

Introduction Or How I started, Challenges: 1 ; 2 ; 3 ; 4 ; 5 ; 6 ; 7 ; RESPAWN  ; 8 ;

Member of the League of Epicness, Hellfire Club!

...would like to be a Nac Mac Feggle ;)

How frequently do people post in these threads?

I don't think I have enough interesting stuff happen to post daily. Most posts would be like "So today I got out of bed, ate some food, worked on my computer, pet my dogs, ate some more food, did an exercise thing, worked some more, ate some food, cuddled with dogs".  Pretty exciting stuff here, folks!

I'm really interested in this character creation thing, I hope it is released soon! Also, does anyone have suggestions of adventure quests I could do around the farm for some fun exercise? Or point me in the direction of where to find some? I haven't quite figured out the website navigation.

Cheers!

Hey Alice,

I'm really interested in this character creation thing, I hope it is released soon! Also, does anyone have suggestions of adventure quests I could do around the farm for some fun exercise? Or point me in the direction of where to find some? I haven't quite figured out the website navigation.

I think how often people post is really up to yourself and what fits you best. Personally I try to post daily in my challenge thread because it helps me sticking to my challenge and also the feedback and support is really motivating for me. I think when I start my battle log (need some time for that >_<) I will use it to focus on my longtime goals and to recap what I have achieved so I will set myself some "deadlines" (probably every two weeks at least) so that I keep it up to date.

What I do to get myself orientated is that I read/skim other threads to see what style I like/ would fit me.

I'm so looking forward to character creation too (had a little sneak-peak when it was online for some minutes on monday and it really looked good :) ).

I don't really get what you mean by adventure quests, do you mean like adding training challenges to your programm or more like longtime quests (for the later I use this blog post as an orientation and also this thread I find quite interesting and promising :) )

I don't think that a normal day directly is boring, since most users here are working babystep by babystep to it's okay. I find it quite motivating to see how other people do it in these ways :)

• Like 1

My NF-Character: https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/58102

Introduction Or How I started, Challenges: 1 ; 2 ; 3 ; 4 ; 5 ; 6 ; 7 ; RESPAWN  ; 8 ;

Member of the League of Epicness, Hellfire Club!

...would like to be a Nac Mac Feggle ;)

I don't really get what you mean by adventure quests, do you mean like adding training challenges to your programm or more like longtime quests (for the later I use this blog post as an orientation and also this thread I find quite interesting and promising :) )

This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks!!

• Like 1

...No YOU were over zealous when filling the vitamix this morning...

j38leNI.jpg

In case you are unsure, that is a quart jar (32 oz or ~1 liter)

Ingredients (in order added to vitamix):

• 1 Cup Water
  • 1 Banana (cut in half)
  • 1 Small Cucumber (cut in half)
  • GIANT handful spinach
  • 1 Apple (quartered)
  • Handful frozen strawberries
  • Handful ice

Winter has finally come! It has been really cold the past few weeks and I have been using it as a lame excuse to barely exercise. Time to put my big girl pants on and get over it!

The blizzard has hit our town. Maybe I'll get a bit of a workout in shoveling later  :nightmare:

783bWQ2.jpg?1

• Like 2