A New Log for a New Quest

I have been gone awhile.   I want to come back, but I want a clean start.  I want to pop in on posts of friends, but not feel obligated to reply to every post and constantly stay up on everyone's activity.  I want this community to be something I look forward to rather than another box I have to check.  I don't want to join a specific challenge.  6 weeks will not do.  In a few weeks I will turn 39.  I must meet some big challenges before I turn 40.  I need some accountability to make that long of a quest work for me.  I must post somewhere.  I will post here.  Today the quest begins.  

Big Goals:

Sub 170 lbs (165-168 will be my target) - This is hard and possibly not realistic.  I have been power lifting for about 18 months and have put on quite a bit of muscle, but I think my BF will be where I want it in the mid to upper 160s so I am going after it.

1,000 lbs combined lift in the big three (Bench, Squat, and Dead Lift)

20 pull-ups and 20 chin-ups

So those are my targets.  I am interested in lots of other stuff too, like being able to run obstacle courses, being able to do muscle-ups, etc., but I think just focusing on these three targets will have me well on my way.  If I can get to this place physically by 40 I will open up a whole new world of what is possible.

How will I be getting there?

Macro tracking.  High protein.  I will likely play with low fat and low carb options throughout the year.

I will engage in intermittent fasting.

I will be increasing my overall activity level.  I currently do 3 days of power lifting and one day of either kettle bells or bro-day type workouts and sporadically run.  I will be adding in more conditioning work with kettle bells, hiking, running, and hopefully some fun sports/game activities.  I will take walk, mini workout, and mobility breaks at work and in the evening.

I will stay accountable by posting here regularly.

I will meditate.

I will journal.

I will read.

I will drastically reduce alcohol, caffeine, and sugar consumption.

I will be in the now.

I will fucking crush it.

• Like 3

Current: reorient

Old: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | a | b | battle log

Older: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

myfitnesspal | epic quest

Whoooo hoooo!! It's the vanquisher with boomsticks and chainsaws back into action!!

(I'll just join my twin in that above happy dance. ;) )

:triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant:

Sooooooooo beyond happy to see you back! AndI understand exactly what you mean. One of the reasons I disappeared for a time as well. But yes, time to be back and kicking ass on our terms. ;)

big hugs!!!

• Like 1

Level 6 Pixie Assassin Rangerish Adventurer
Current Challenge: Guess What??
Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 12th 13th 14th  Battle Log
-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.
-Whatever doesn't kill me....Had better start running.

Merry Christmas Forkboy!!! hugs!!!

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.

I put this thread up and then proceeded to do nothing over the past couple of weeks.  I decided to go the cliche route and start anew with the year.  I have not really been tracking macros the last couple days, but I will start in earnest again today since I am back in the work routine now after having been off for quite some time.  I have avoided alcohol and sweets while at home and opted for higher protein options during my meals.  I think my eating has been fine the past few days, I just haven't been tracking it.

I hit the gym today.  Squat day.  We are doing 4X8, which is a bit of a beast.  I followed it up with SLDL 4x8s and then chest supported rows and shoulder raises.  They all felt good.  The rest has helped I am sure.  I will go up next week on the SLDLs, rows, and shoulder raises.

Tomorrow I am going to go into a kettle-bell class for some conditioning work.

I finished the book Spartan Up yesterday.  It was okay.  I found the message a bit repetitive at times and there were some statements made that were not entirely factual and had a political tinge to them that I did not find appropriate in that kind of book, but the underlying message is a good one.  We have choices everyday.  We can take the easy way or we can take the path toward growth.  It was a great reminder of our own potential to change our lives, so I appreciated it.  I am considering signing up for either a Spartan race or a Tough Mudder, but am early in the research process for now.

Now to go track some macros....

• Like 2

How are things going my friend?

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

Things are okay.  I had a birthday.  I am now on an official countdown to turning 40.  I also had to go out of town for a few days to a conference and therefore missed some days at the gym.  Between missed gym days and birthday beer and cake my weight loss has plateaued a bit here in early January, but I am in this for the long haul so not too worried.

My gym recently added heart rate monitors and a giant screen so the coaches can track where we are in our training.  I was skeptical at first, but it is pretty cool.  I know when to back off a little if I am going to hard and it is also pretty obvious when I am slacking and can pick up the pace when I am doing any conditioning work.

I have also signed up for one of Anthony Mychal DeMarco's email courses.  I am enjoying it.  I haven't learned much new, but it is a nice reinforcement of some principals I need to get through my thick skull.  Some of the stuff is intuitive, like consume more lean protein and non-starchy vegetables and minimize processed crap, but other things are pretty new, like exposure to micro-nutrient intake's impact on weight gain.  Since it is an email course a piece of it comes out each day which is a nice way to consume, but I am struggling to see the bigger picture.  Having been in a sort of IIFYM school for a long time I am waiting for the hammer to drop on total calories and total protein goals.  I am not sure if he is even going to head there or not, but I am curious how it will play out with my current targets.  I have difficulty hitting 170g protein targets on lean meat alone, but since he is not a big proponent of artificially processed anything I am wondering where whey will fit in and how overall protein will come out in the plan.  It's been fun to learn either way.

• Like 2

Hey there Forkboy, it's been awhile. Glad to see you're still pushing forward  :pride:

And Happy birthday! I hope it was fun :D

Now, the thing about the heart rate monitors, and the "giant screen" sounds awfully familiar to what's been going on at the gym I train at for Boxing. They just got those set up not too long ago. Coincidence, mayhaps?

Anyways, I'm glad to hear you're in this for the long haul. You can do it, buddy – I've always believed in you! Stand tall, and show the world just WHO THE HELL YOU ARE!!!  :triumphant:

• Like 1

[ Battle Log: - THE LEGEND OF WILL - ]

Spoiler

"I can change the future!"

- Shulk from Xenoblade Chronicles

"I still don't know what I should do. What [he's] doing isn't for his own gain. He walks the path he believes in, one step at a time. Wishing only for the happiness of those around him. I, on the other hand... I thought I didn't have a path that I could take laid out before me. But like he said, that's just running away. I must find my own path."

- Fei from Xenogears

"A life of adventure awaits those with the courage to step beyond their comfort zones."

- Hylian Dan from The Philosophy of The Wind Waker

Woo! Keep it up, Forkboy! You're kicking major ass  :triumphant:

I hope things have been going well for you over this past week. You can do it  :pride:

[ Battle Log: - THE LEGEND OF WILL - ]

Spoiler

"I can change the future!"

- Shulk from Xenoblade Chronicles

"I still don't know what I should do. What [he's] doing isn't for his own gain. He walks the path he believes in, one step at a time. Wishing only for the happiness of those around him. I, on the other hand... I thought I didn't have a path that I could take laid out before me. But like he said, that's just running away. I must find my own path."

- Fei from Xenogears

"A life of adventure awaits those with the courage to step beyond their comfort zones."

- Hylian Dan from The Philosophy of The Wind Waker

Nothing major to report.  Still cruising along.  I have implemented a challenge to myself to not have any alcohol or treats while at home.  I have been rocking this since my birthday in January basically.  It has been a boon.  I don't feel guilty about a couple of drinks if we go out to dinner, but given that we don't go out that much I am able to limit my alcohol quite a bit.  I really don't have treats at home or out.  I find I used to have them as a stress response more than anything.  I may reincorporate once I get into the refeed/cheat range of low BF.  I have a ways to go for that.  I am seeing progress and I am in the groove, so I am just going to keep rocking it for now.

My workouts are up to 6 days a week, 3 days of power lifting and 3 days of kettbell or conditioning.  My strength on my power lifting has plateaued a little, but nothing to worry me at this stage.  I am making good progress on the conditioning.  All and all no complaints.  Another thing I have found super helpful is not using the 6 week challenge approach.  I know I am locked in now for a long period of time.  I am thinking I may start needing to add refeeds or cheats in June-ish, but for now I just keep at it every day plugging away watching those numbers fall over time.

Cheers.

• Like 2

So I am at the 1/4 way milestone now that we are at the end of Q1, so time for a check-in.  Overall, I am pretty pleased with my progress.  I hit my targets, but realize now my progress should slow considerably, so need to brace myself for the slog ahead.  I am in a bit of a groove with my routine, but realize abrupt changes or stresses can knock me off my game pretty quickly.

I have added some Creatine to the mix so also need to brace for any potential water gain.

Nothing else major going on at this point, just continuing to plug away.

Q1.PNG

Q1 b.PNG

• Like 2