Bee Buzzes

After a week off of challenging to enjoy lazy holiday-winter time I'm ready to recommit to a healthy living routine to round out 2015.  I've come a long, long way over the past twelve months and can think of nothing better than ringing in the new year (and the new challenge) with my goals, progress, and motivation intact.

I'm taking this final week of 2015 to mindfully look ahead to what I hope to accomplish over the next year, through a lens that's both realistic and determined.  Pursuing simplicity as my cornerstone - developing daily habits that are meaningful.  Eating well, moving enough, keeping a clean house, learning to embrace a chaotic mind, nurturing the calm.  Nothing grandiose, just a desire to build a life that's focused on happy, on love, on confidence, on wellness.  

Moon Bee // Druid // Level 4

Challenges // DBL 1  2  3  4

5: Bee is Everything

Hi :)  I like your keeping things simplistic cornerstone motto.  I find that if it gets too hard for me or complicated that I give up.  Sometimes I'm actually reluctant to tell people I do such simple exercises......

Looking forward to reading about your progress in the new year :)

Thanks!  I've overcomplicated in the past and it leads to burnout rather than progress.  Simplifying my life over the past year opened many doors for me, and has helped me overcome some of my greatest obstacles.  Can't wait for the next challenge!  Best of luck to you!  

Picked up some new running shoes today!  I've decided to join the Scouts for this next challenge.  I enjoy many different forms of activity, but walking and running seem to be activities I've stuck with over the years.  It's something I can do anywhere, at any time.  I'll also incorporate strength training and stretching to help improve my physical health and avoid injury.  Taking it very slow, but I'm looking forward to a new challenge.  

Running for me has always been akin to the spirituality I find in yoga.  Quiet and focused and introspective.  I love getting lost in my thoughts while observing everything around me.  

Working on honing in my diet this week.  Amping up the fruits and veggies and weaning myself off the holiday snacking.  

I'm swaying between doing a full-force clean-eating challenge for January, or simply taking away another bad habit.  It worked really well for me to cut out soda for several months, and then to start cutting out sweets.  However, I also feel myself wanting to do more.  I'm thinking maybe a clean breakfast/lunch, freggies only for snacking, and then dinner can be a little more flexible.  

Running-wise I've received some great advice from friends about how to get started.  Looks like Couch to 5k is a great app for beginners.  I'll admit - I don't know if I'm ready to start a new workout regime.  But honestly, the biggest issue I have with exercise is the time it takes.  I love just being home with my husband and dogs.  I really do hate the thought of going to workout taking away time from my loved ones.  BUT, exercise needs to become a part of my life, and I'd like to develop a routine that's meaningful that doesn't take too much time.  I think running can do that.  

During the last challenge I lost about 5 pounds, which was great.  Since the summer I've lost just about 15 pounds (I don't focus too much on weight and it fluctuates, but that's the general amount).  I know I'm making progress but I haven't SEEN as much as I'd like yet.  Everything is feeling a million times better, though I still struggle with some puffiness and bloating.  I haven't been able to drop a dress size yet - my inches are coming off more slowly.  Knowing that I can't "spot-treat" I have to remember that while I HAVE made some great progress, I'm just not yet experiencing it in the areas I really want to change (ahem, waist and lower body).  

Today I stuck to fairly clean eating, except for half a can of chili and a few fried lentil fritters.  Lots of fruit and veggies.  That's going to be my sweet spot.   

Okay, a continuation of the post above ^

I think I'm going to problem-solve my quandary about diet goals with a food log.  This has worked exceptionally well for me in the past, and now that I'm fully plant-based it'll be even easier.  I used to have a formal "food log" book, but switched over to just writing in a journal with times, what I ate, and how I felt at the end of the day.  It helps me stay on track without trying as hard because I know I have to write everything down that I eat.  I'll be sharing it with a couple friends as well to keep up the accountability.    

Alright, I think I've got my three goals set up for January: eat good food, move my feet, and read.  My goals will all contain some form of continuation of what I'm already doing, so they're going to seem hefty but really aren't.  I just like laying it all out on the table for myself to visually be reminded of what I'm doing (and why).  Of course I'll refine for the actual challenge in order to make scoring easier, but here's what I'm thinking:

Eat: Continue with vegan diet.  Improve nutrition by consuming at least 2 fruits and 2 veggies daily, along with adequate "bean" and grain intake.  Snacking limited to fruits, veggies, nuts/seeds.  Allow one treat per week if needed.  In order to eat plenty of healthy food, be prepared with meals for the week.  

Move: Continue reaching 10,000 daily step goal.  Commit to at least 3 days a week of the Couch to 5K app.  Commit to at least 2 days a week of walking one of our dogs (husband helps with the other).  

Read: Finish 4 books in 4 weeks.  Make time for reading daily (and limit TV time).     

Darn, I was hoping to have the forums ready to go to start setting up my new challenge!  Not to worry, we've still got a few more days :)

I haven't started running but I've been going out on long walks this week.  Trying to acclimate to the time commitment of 30-45 minutes, to see how it feels to be out that long.  I'm finding myself getting pretty tired after the long walks so I'll need to pay close attention to water intake, food, and rest.  Rather than be perfect I just want to make some progress and feel some success.  

I've got a couple books lined up to read.  I've been working on eating fruit and veggie snacks (though still having a few other snacks here and there).