• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

spezzy

[archive / outdated] CHALLENGE AND CLASS CHANGES AND UPDATES

FYI EVERYONE -- > our server has been under  ton of ddos attacks since Christmas Day. This is why you may have been experiencing issues connecting to the site. Due to this, it may be later tonight or tomorrow for the character creation to go live. The team is working as hard as we can to get everything up and finalized!

Thanks for understanding :)

No worries. Thanks so much for all your hard work.

So this is our fault? Too many people on the server?

No its caused by someone deliberately making hundreds of computers call for a website at the same time. It wouldn't be from regular network traffic. It's someone being childish and thinking they are a hacker just because they can bring a website down for a few minutes.

Exactly. It's a malicious attack and was not just on NerdFitness, but all sites that use our server. It has nothing to do with us and we most likely weren't the target. This is the same thing that brought down the Playstation network down last christmas. We use a great server that's known for being good against these, so this was most likely more than a single person. Bunch of people with nothing better to do with their time. Really frustrating that this is what people choose to do with their time.

• Like 5

Exactly. It's a malicious attack and was not just on NerdFitness, but all sites that use our server. It has nothing to do with us and we most likely weren't the target. This is the same thing that brought down the Playstation network down last christmas. We use a great server that's known for being good against these, so this was most likely more than a single person. Bunch of people with nothing better to do with their time. Really frustrating that this is what people choose to do with their time.

Thank you both for clarifying. I've learned something new. And am now peeved about this info. I hope their computer(s) crash...and their cooling fans malfunction!

• Like 8

Thank you both for clarifying. I've learned something new. And am now peeved about this info. I hope their computer(s) crash...and their cooling fans malfunction!

Ha! I second the cooling fan curse!

sent from my tiny particle accelerator

• Like 4

FYI EVERYONE -- > our server has been under  ton of ddos attacks since Christmas Day. This is why you may have been experiencing issues connecting to the site. Due to this, it may be later tonight or tomorrow for the character creation to go live. The team is working as hard as we can to get everything up and finalized!

Thanks for understanding :)

ddos-ing sucks.  It's put a cramp on more than a few things I take part in.  I feel your pain on this one.  

I also want to echo the others saying thank you for all your hard work!!  Everything sounds fantastic so far! 

• Like 1

Oh, so you're saying we shouldn't blame Planet Fitness, Weight Watchers, and Jenny Craig for trying to bring down a site that actually gets results for people, thereby reducing their customer base?

• Like 10

Oh, so you're saying we shouldn't blame Planet Fitness, Weight Watchers, and Jenny Craig for trying to bring down a site that actually gets results for people, thereby reducing their customer base?

Grr! FOR THE REBELLION! :P

• Like 3

Well,  here we have Nerd Superheroes. It makes sense that we'd have to deal with Nerd Supervillains from time to time. :lol:

We'll wait as long as it takes. No worries. Thanks for doing so much for us! :)

• Like 11

It's alive

I like the set up :)

One question though: how do I link my profile there to my profile here? I've already put the public button 'on'.

We're still fixing the final issues with it, and will have full discussions and FAQ's and help pages once it's ready. 

Deleting all comments about it for now to avoid confusion.

• Like 2

Is there going to be a way for Rebels to choose a different "class" picture, since there are no Rebel-specific ones? Right now, it seems to default to displaying the male Warrior pic.

Is there going to be a way for Rebels to choose a different "class" picture, since there are no Rebel-specific ones? Right now, it seems to default to displaying the male Warrior pic.

It is not announced yet, and not ready yet, and many questions will be answered once it is.

Please wait until an announcement comes from Team NF.

• Like 1

It is not announced yet, and not ready yet, and many questions will be answered once it is.

Please wait until an announcement comes from Team NF.

sorry spezzy - we nerd are a crafty lot :)

• Like 1

sorry spezzy - we nerd are a crafty lot :)

Yes. My wife knits. I do model trains. Some people crochet. My father made latch hook rugs.

Oh, not that kind of crafty....

• Like 13

Well,  here we have Nerd Superheroes. It makes sense that we'd have to deal with Nerd Supervillains from time to time. :lol:

We'll wait as long as it takes. No worries. Thanks for doing so much for us! :)

The narrative in my head will be that the Empire is coming after us now that Steve has fired a shot over its bow with the book.

• Like 9

So this is our fault? Too many people on the server?

I thought that for a second, but the scale is wrong. For a DDOS it is millions, while even new year new challenge traffic might be on the scale of thousands. (No idea on the real numbers, but typically there is a full degree between normal and DDOS.)

• Like 1

We're still fixing the final issues with it, and will have full discussions and FAQ's and help pages once it's ready. 

Deleting all comments about it for now to avoid confusion.

Oops sorry, didn't know that!

Is there anything the community can do to help with the server troubles?  Maybe a quick collection to cover the costs to move to a new/unaffected server?

• Like 2

Is there anything the community can do to help with the server troubles?  Maybe a quick collection to cover the costs to move to a new/unaffected server?

It's stable now, our server guy has it sorted. we just need to get everything finalized that we were unable to work on while it was down. :)  but thank you for the kind thoughts!

• Like 10

I hope I'm not overstepping here, but if I made a thread or two in the Rebel forum (like a General Chat thread and a "if you're new and confused, ask questions here and older Rebels can try to answer them" thing), could someone sticky them until you've sorted out the guild leader situation and someone takes over? I don't know how far along you are with that and I'm sure there's been a million other things needing your focus recently, but it doesn't hurt to ask, right?

• Like 11

The new format has made your apostrophes into strange symbol chains that make it difficult to read. Please fix that so I can send friends to the instruction pages with them feeling safe rather than irritated!