• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

spezzy

[archive / outdated] CHALLENGE AND CLASS CHANGES AND UPDATES

I don't know why I'm so grumpy today, so take all of this with a grain of salt.

I'm honestly not sure what the point is of the new descriptions, since I'm guessing that so many people pretty strongly identify with whatever guild and will continue posting there even if they don't really fit.  It's why so many of the guilds have turned into catch-all, we-do-everything guilds.  

The Assassin's guild description probably shouldn't emphasize parkour, as no one there actually practices parkour.  On paper, I'm about as stereotypically Assassin as a person can be (parkour and rock climbing).  I left the Assassins Guild a couple challenges ago at least in part because no one was doing anything remotely similar to me, and I felt like I didn't fit in at all.  

I'm looking forward to the 4 week format, though!

We don't want to divide people too much, but I've felt that the current guild system does encourage people to just find a place.  Druids seems to be a combination of focusing on mental health and exhibition skills.

Maybe a list of common tags would help?

I can see the class descriptions if I log out of my account, but if I'm logged in they won't work

That worked for me...Thank you!

That being said, I'm staying right where I'm at since none of the others really apply to me ;)

• Like 2

Works on my phone if I switch from mobile to full site, doesn't work on. Doesn't matter if I'm signed in or not.

Before the changes I considered switching from warrior to adventurer because my primary goal is weight loss. Now not so sure, ranger maybe? Or just rebel?

• Like 1

Never mind from what others have said the adventurers are new to fitness and will still be exploring different areas of fitness to find their niche. The rangers aren't necessarily new but have a wide range of interests.

• Like 3

What is the major difference between a ranger and adventurer?

Mastery.

A Ranger is someone who doesn't fit the classic Warrior - Scout duality.  They somehow do both.  Maybe they lift and run or maybe they do a hybrid activity - kettlebells, sledgehammers, sandbags, or of course Crossfit.  Rangers might be doing just about anything, but they've commited to it.  The current crop of Rangers has a solid outdoorsy bent to them.

Adventurers are Folks who are trying out different fitness activities as they search for the one that best suits them.  Adventurers might be doing just about anything, but they might be doing something different next challenge.

At least that's how I see it.

• Like 8

So will challenges be done through the Epic Quest area, and not in the forums any longer?

No, they will still be in the forums. You can use epic quest area If you'd like in addition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Never mind from what others have said the adventurers are new to fitness and will still be exploring different areas of fitness to find their niche. The rangers aren't necessarily new but have a wide range of interests.

I've been an adventurer for two years now, many others longer than that...I would say we don't fit into the little 'niche's' the other guilds have, but are made up of a wide array of interests...not necessarily new to it.

• Like 2

Here are the class descriptions: 

For EXAMPLE ACTIVITIES - these do not cover all activities someone of this guild would do, and you don't have to do all of them to be a member of that guild.

There is some overlap across activities - just because you are a warrior does not mean you can not do gymnastics (an assassin activity), for example.

REBEL

Everyone comes into the Rebellion and starts out as a REBEL. If you are just starting out and aren’t sure, or don’t want to pick a class, this is where you fall.

* Example Activities: ANY

ASSASSIN

Every building can be climbed, every gap can be jumped, every obstacle can be conquered. Assassins spend most of their time training with functional body-weight exercises, as that’s usually the only thing they need to lift. Gymnasts and parkour enthusiasts would fit into this category.

* Fictional example: Ezio Auditore (Assassin’s Creed 2)

* Real-world example: Kacy Catanzaro of American Ninja

Warrior fame; Damien Walters, professional stuntman,

gymnastics coach, and free-running professional

*  Example Activities: Parkour, gymnastics, bodyweight strength

ADVENTURER

Adventurers are brave souls who fear nothing and are always curious about what’s over the next hill or across the ocean.

They are often found working diligently with their allies to help ensure that every adventure leads down the correct path, exploring and learning for the sake of others.

* Fictional example: Indiana Jones, Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)

* Real-world example: Les Stroud (Survivorman); Lewis and Clark, explorers

* Example Activities:  Hiking, Geocatching, Travel, Exploration

DRUID

Druids spend a majority of their time training in the arts of yoga, tai chi, and other movement-based disciplines. Each movement has a purpose, and that purpose is to further improve the dexterity, agility, and strength of the druid.

* Fictional example: Lady Galadriel (The Lord of the Rings)

* Real-world example: Josh Waitzkin, Tai Chi Push Hands US champion and chess prodigy

* Typical Activities: Yoga, Tai Chi, Meditation

MONK

Monks can kick your ass with their fists and feet, and they can do it before you even know what’s happened. Incredibly agile, lightning fast, and loaded with power, Monks specialize in martial arts to stay in shape and destroy the opposition.

* Fictional example: Neo (The Matrix); Beatrix Kiddo aka

Black Mamba (Kill Bill)

* Real-world example: UFC fighters Georges St-Pierre and Ronda Rousey

* Typical Activities: MMA, BJJ, Karate

RANGER

A jack-of-all-trades, Rangers are well-equipped for any situation. You’re good at strength training and pretty good at covering distances when required, but neither is a specialty.

* Fictional example: Jon Snow (Game of

Thrones), Katniss Everdeen (The Hunger Games)

* Real-world example: Rich Froning Jr., four-time winner of the CrossFit Games

* Typical Activities: CrossFit, General mixed training (running and lifting, for example)

SCOUT

Built for distance and efficiency rather than strength and power, you can outlast any animal on the planet. Your muscles are designed with endurance in mind, and you can cover great distances whenever necessary.

* Fictional example: Legolas of the Woodland Realm

(The.Lord of the Rings)

* Real-world example: Rita Jeptoo, Boston Marathon record

holder; Jan Frodeno, 2008 Olympic gold medalist and 2015 Ironman champion

* Typical Activities: Running, Swimming, Biking

WARRIOR
You love the idea of getting stronger and more powerful. Every day is an opportunity to move heavy things or test yourself against others in competition and prove your might.

* Fictional example: Thor of Asgard (The

Avengers), Maximus Decimus Meridius (Gladiator), Brienne of

Tarth (Game of Thrones)

* Real-world example: Hafthór Júlíus “Thor” Björnsson, who plays “The Mountain” on Game of Thrones

* Typical Activities: Powerlifting, Weightlifting, Strongman Training

• Like 1

What is the major difference between a ranger and adventurer?

Mastery.

A Ranger is someone who doesn't fit the classic Warrior - Scout duality.  They somehow do both.  Maybe they lift and run or maybe they do a hybrid activity - kettlebells, sledgehammers, sandbags, or of course Crossfit.  Rangers might be doing just about anything, but they've commited to it.  The current crop of Rangers has a solid outdoorsy bent to them.

Adventurers are Folks who are trying out different fitness activities as they search for the one that best suits them.  Adventurers might be doing just about anything, but they might be doing something different next challenge.

At least that's how I see it.

I've been an adventurer for two years now, many others longer than that...I would say we don't fit into the little 'niche's' the other guilds have, but are made up of a wide array of interests...not necessarily new to it.

With the new system, adventurers are an exploration guild.  EXPLORATION = exploring, hiking, climbing, geocatching, 

They are not a new to fitness, or a Ranger with less mastery. 

Someone who is trying out the different guilds or does not want to pick a guild is a REBEL.

Someone who is a REBEL and does not want to pick a guild is not necessarily less knowledgable or skilled than someone in a guild. They may just not want to pick one.

Yes, there are going to be some OVERLAPS with the guilds. This is natural and normal and is really unavoidable. 

For example - some Warriors do CrossFit. Some rangers do CrossFit. Doing one activity does not automatically make you one or the other. It is where your main goals and interests lie.

I'm putting this in red to make sure people see it. :)

ADVENTURER

Adventurers are brave souls who fear nothing and are always curious about what’s over the next hill or across the ocean.

They are often found working diligently with their allies to help ensure that every adventure leads down the correct path, exploring and learning for the sake of others.

* Fictional example: Indiana Jones, Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)

* Real-world example: Les Stroud (Survivorman); Lewis and Clark, explorers

Rangers are a jack of all trades guild. 

RANGER

A jack-of-all-trades, Rangers are well-equipped for any situation. You’re good at strength training and pretty good at covering distances when required, but neither is a specialty.

* Fictional example: Jon Snow (Game of

Thrones), Katniss Everdeen (The Hunger Games)

* Real-world example: Rich Froning Jr., four-time winner of

the CrossFit Games

• Like 6

No. Not at all.

Who are these 'others have said', because that's not accurate at all.

• Like 2

...And that is exactly why I called for there to be a merge to get rid of that mentality.  That carries with it a sense of non-commitment if people vary from challenge to challenge.

If people don't know WHAT they want to do/undecided- they are recruit.

And Assassins used to be OOT (Odd object training) which is what sledgehammers and kettelbells used to be classified as.  The entire labeling doesn't add up.

• Like 1

REBEL : For the uncertain ones

ASSASSIN : The flexible ones (in control of their bodies)

ADVENTURER : The ones who want to learn and explore

DRUID : The ones who want to explore themselves (So meditation and control)

MONK : The ones who can kick your ass (martial arts based)

RANGER : The ones who want to (and can do) everything. (Adaptability is more key)

SCOUT : The ones who can run forever (endurance focused)

WARRIOR : The ones you don't want to arm-wrestle (strength and muscle and diet)

That's what I feel like these different guilds are about. There seems to be a lot of confusion over Rangers and Assassins for a while (taking a peek through the forums), and while they do share many traits, the internal focus is slightly different. However, this is more personal to the person doing the challenges.

• Like 4

REBEL : For the uncertain ones

ASSASSIN : The flexible ones (in control of their bodies)

ADVENTURER : The ones who want to learn and explore

DRUID : The ones who want to explore themselves (So meditation and control)

MONK : The ones who can kick your ass (martial arts based)

RANGER : The ones who want to (and can do) everything. (Adaptability is more key)

SCOUT : The ones who can run forever (endurance focused)

WARRIOR : The ones you don't want to arm-wrestle (strength and muscle and diet)

That's what I feel like these different guilds are about. There seems to be a lot of confusion over Rangers and Assassins for a while (taking a peek through the forums), and while they do share many traits, the internal focus is slightly different. However, this is more personal to the person doing the challenges.

The question I have is what are the Adventurers learning and exploring? Different exercises? Then how is that different from Rangers? If Rangers do everything and Adventurers try everything? There seems to be a lack of descriptive difference between the two. Perhaps some more clarification on what exactly the learning and exploring means. Especially as we don't want people to start thinking, or continue thinking, of Adventurers as Ranger Light. Thats not what they are, as Im sure many Adventurers would agree.

• Like 4

The question I have is what are the Adventurers learning and exploring? Different exercises? Then how is that different from Rangers? If Rangers do everything and Adventurers try everything?

Well, from what's been said, I think the Adventures are exploring their surroundings (eg Geocaching etc), possibly also more Wisdom based (following on from the whole RP theme), and encouraging others.

always curious about what’s over the next hill or across the ocean.......working diligently with their allies to help .......... exploring and learning for the sake of others

On the other hand, Rangers work a lot more towards Adaptability. So, DIY stuff, survival in the outdoors ( or when the Apocalypse comes), and can suit any environment.

well-equipped for any situation
  • Like 1

Clarification:

ADVENTURERS are not new to fitness and learning about fitness. They are EXPLORING the world. Hiking, geocatching, etc - are adventurers. Travel, 

...And that is exactly why I called for there to be a merge to get rid of that mentality.  That carries with it a sense of non-commitment if people vary from challenge to challenge.

If people don't know WHAT they want to do/undecided- they are recruit.

And Assassins used to be OOT (Odd object training) which is what sledgehammers and kettelbells used to be classified as.  The entire labeling doesn't add up.

Undecided or does not want to decide = Rebel.

Assassins have been bodyweight training. Odd Object Training with sledgehammers and kettlebells would be more Warrior or Ranger. 

• Like 5

I'm trying to figure out if adventurers as explorers means that adventurers Re hikers, the aforementioned geocachers, rock climbers, etc (people who explore the environment) or people who explore LIFE, in fitness meaning people who learn about nutrition, different types of training and what each is good for, how to reach specific goals, and the like.

On January 4 I'll be starting a new challenge anyway, as rebel, warrior, adventurer or whatever. I've a good idea what my goals will be (clean up diet, lose fat, and work toward actually doing a push up and Pull up). I think once I can push and pull my body weight I can go back to barbell training.

The question I have is what are the Adventurers learning and exploring? Different exercises? Then how is that different from Rangers? If Rangers do everything and Adventurers try everything? There seems to be a lack of descriptive difference between the two. Perhaps some more clarification on what exactly the learning and exploring means. Especially as we don't want people to start thinking, or continue thinking, of Adventurers as Ranger Light. Thats not what they are, as Im sure many Adventurers would agree.

They are exploring the world. Hiking, Geocatching, etc. 

Adventurers are not, and never have been, a Ranger Lite. 

If you were an adventurer, and were a "jack of all trades" person, you're now a Ranger.

• Like 2

I'm trying to figure out if adventurers as explorers means that adventurers Re hikers, the aforementioned geocachers, rock climbers, etc (people who explore the environment) or people who explore LIFE, in fitness meaning people who learn about nutrition, different types of training and what each is good for, how to reach specific goals, and the like.

The first.

It is not exploring fitness, it is exploration. Travel, hiking, climbing, etc.

• Like 1

They are exploring the world. Hiking, Geocatching, etc. 

Adventurers are not, and never have been, a Ranger Lite. 

If you were an adventurer, and were a "jack of all trades" person, you're now a Ranger.

Okay but the examples used for Adventurers are not hikers and geocachers only. Lara Croft did guns, gymnastics, hiking, flying, lifting weights. Indiana Jones was multi faceted as well. Les Stroud even discusses how he works out by running and hiking and then going home and lifting weights. So then he'd be a Ranger. A lot of confusion there. And then there's the Learning description. What are Adventurers learning?

I know Adventurers are not Ranger Lite. But you can see in this forum, and Ive seen in many many others, where people refer to them as such and unfairly at that. I know many Adventures and am friends with them and would not consider them such but there seems to be a belief among other guilds that is what they are. The descriptions in place currently don't help as they're pretty vague still.

Conversely as a Ranger much of what I do involves the outdoors. I ruck. I hike. Does that mean I have to leave the Rangers and become an Adventurer? Jack of all trades are Rangers are all well and good but youve seen several people posting and saying they went with the guilds based on the workouts they do and found no support or people who weren't like minded. Perhaps setting guilds up based on specific workouts is not the best approach. Its been suggested maybe the workout focus should be the types of workouts. As in Agility. Strength. Endurance. Etc. Perhaps if we focused less on the specific workouts and found some better ways to describe the guilds that may work better.

• Like 6

Its been suggested maybe the workout focus should be the types of workouts. As in Agility. Strength. Endurance. Etc. Perhaps if we focused less on the specific workouts and found some better ways to describe the guilds that may work better.

I second this and this is why I think there should be very different changes made.  I'm not trying to be difficult; I would appreciate being able to talk with you in a chat-manner, if that's possible Spezzy.

• Like 1

I second this and this is why I think there should be very different changes made.  I'm not trying to be difficult; I would appreciate being able to talk with you in a chat-manner, if that's possible Spezzy.

Teros, you're welcome to email me - you've got the address :)

My PM's here are shut off.

Okay but the examples used for Adventurers are not hikers and geocachers only. Lara Croft did guns, gymnastics, hiking, flying, lifting weights. Indiana Jones was multi faceted as well. Les Stroud even discusses how he works out by running and hiking and then going home and lifting weights. So then he'd be a Ranger. A lot of confusion there. And then there's the Learning description. What are Adventurers learning?

I know Adventurers are not Ranger Lite. But you can see in this forum, and Ive seen in many many others, where people refer to them as such and unfairly at that. I know many Adventures and am friends with them and would not consider them such but there seems to be a belief among other guilds that is what they are. The descriptions in place currently don't help as they're pretty vague still.

Conversely as a Ranger much of what I do involves the outdoors. I ruck. I hike. Does that mean I have to leave the Rangers and become an Adventurer? Jack of all trades are Rangers are all well and good but youve seen several people posting and saying they went with the guilds based on the workouts they do and found no support or people who weren't like minded. Perhaps setting guilds up based on specific workouts is not the best approach. Its been suggested maybe the workout focus should be the types of workouts. As in Agility. Strength. Endurance. Etc. Perhaps if we focused less on the specific workouts and found some better ways to describe the guilds that may work better.

Indiana Jones and Lara Croft were the examples as they were explorers, not based on the types of workouts they do.

The Adventurer guild is an exploration guild. You learn about the world around you.

Many people, even if they identify with one guild, are multi faceted. I am a Warrior, but I do both gymnastics and yoga daily.  Picking one guild does not mean you must do only workouts from that one guild. It's your main focus and interest.

This very much lines up with Steve's book that comes out in January, and what many of our new features align with.

We can work on the descriptions to be clearer and to make it easier for people to pick their guild, but the main premise of what they are is not going to change. 

These new guilds and descriptions are taken straight from Steve's book - and are what we are moving forward for the foreseeable future. 

• Like 4

We can work on the descriptions to be clearer and to make it easier for people to pick their guild, but the main premise of what they are is not going to change. 

These new guild descriptions are taken straight from Steve's book - and are what we are moving forward for the foreseeable future. 

With all due respect to him and all of you for creating and maintaining this place...if enough people are saying there are issues with the descriptions and how they put people into their guilds perhaps they should be reconsidered. (In the forums, obviously not in his book)