• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

spezzy

[archive / outdated] CHALLENGE AND CLASS CHANGES AND UPDATES

With all due respect to him and all of you for creating and maintaining this place...if enough people are saying there are issues with the descriptions and how they put people into their guilds perhaps they should be reconsidered. (In the forums, obviously not in his book)

I understand that there's a bit of frustration here and I'm sorry that you're feeling that. We appreciate and we do take everyone's opinion into consideration. We've been receiving requests for an exploration guild for a very long time, and it is integrated into the new system, which will be integrated in with the forums eventually. There have also been issues with how the guilds were set up for a while, between the adventurers and the rangers just being one of the issues - these are the changes that we've decided to make based on feedback starting back as far as when we first created a guild system to now, and talking to many rebellion members in depth.  We've been slowly making changes based on feedback, and this is a change that's been coming for a while, and we've been carefully considering and planning for a while. Based on the feedback from everyone, and watching the guilds over the last few years, these are what we've decided to move forward with. 

• Like 4

I could have sworn that when I joined oot was listed as an Assassin thing.

We're not going to be auto-switched out of our current guild or anything, are we? I really do think I'm an assassin at heart, but I'm not sure the stuff I'm working on really fits any more. I don't want to change guilds, though, because I'm finally starting to get to know people a bit and build a support network. I think I would lose a lot of motivation if I had to start all over with that.

I could have sworn that when I joined oot was listed as an Assassin thing.

We're not going to be auto-switched out of our current guild or anything, are we? I really do think I'm an assassin at heart, but I'm not sure the stuff I'm working on really fits any more. I don't want to change guilds, though, because I'm finally starting to get to know people a bit and build a support network. I think I would lose a lot of motivation if I had to start all over with that.

No, you won't be forced in or out of any guild. Even though we've changed descriptions, the decision is still 100% yours.  And you can change guilds whenever you want too, as often as you want.

I even joined the druids last challenge and they didn't kick me out and I am the worst druid ever ;)

• Like 13

As a brand new person hoping to start the next challenge (which I already know is going to be Rebel), I feel like the descriptions would be greatly benefited with the addition of specific activities. Like the previously mentioned Adventurers have hiking and geocaching, Assassins have body weight exercises, druids have yoga and tai-ch, etc. I think giving specific examples of what they do and not characters they are based off of would be more beneficial. 

• Like 1

As a brand new person hoping to start the next challenge (which I already know is going to be Rebel), I feel like the descriptions would be greatly benefited with the addition of specific activities. Like the previously mentioned Adventurers have hiking and geocaching, Assassins have body weight exercises, druids have yoga and tai-ch, etc. I think giving specific examples of what they do and not characters they are based off of would be more beneficial. 

we can absolutely add those!

• Like 3

and done: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/75915-new-guild-descriptions-updated-12262015/#entry1747895

• Like 6

I'd just like to point out, as Spezzy has already implied, this is NF. You belong to whatever guild you want. The descriptions are put forth as a suggestion to help new people find a guild that suits them, if you want to be an X, you're an X, no questions asked. If you want to be an X but the new descriptions make you sound like a Y, you can still decide to stay an X, or you can try the Y's out and see if you like it.

In the words of Douglas Adams:

2447383475_3a6ec34d8e.jpg

• Like 33

One thing that might be helpful, if you're stuck on what "was", is to imagine you're in an all new scenario when you read the guild names fresh. A new guild with a new focus has a title that an old guild used to have, but that doesn't mean that it has the same focus. Adventurer just happens to be an accurate descriptor for the activities it addresses. I hope this helps!

• Like 7

Now with the clarification I LOVE the adventures guild description! I think I'd be joining adventurers whenever I'm traveling or have another adventure coming up. And with the 4 week challenge and the few days rest time it makes it absolutely perfect!

Ex. I can be an assassin in January and an adventurer in February since that's when my next adventure is.

Now I'm REALLY loving this update! 2016 is going to be great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

I'd just like to point out, as Spezzy has already implied, this is NF. You belong to whatever guild you want. The descriptions are put forth as a suggestion to help new people find a guild that suits them, if you want to be an X, you're an X, no questions asked. If you want to be an X but the new descriptions make you sound like a Y, you can still decide to stay an X, or you can try the Y's out and see if you like it.

In the words of Douglas Adams:

2447383475_3a6ec34d8e.jpg

Very well put Tank!

Just like the advice i give recruits when they have trouble picking a guild. You can pick any guild you want. Here in the rebellion you can be who you want to be. But it could be beneficial if you line up your next guild to the primary objectives in your next challenge. That way the people who will get to see your challenge will be the ones doing the same. If you feel like a druid but want to try lifting, i would advise you to join the Warriors for next challenge. That doesn't mean you aren't a druid. Just put your challenge in the guild that can best help you. That is if you need advice and help with the stuff you are trying. And if you want to do lifting and put your challenge thread at the druids i'm sure they wouldn't mind either (i read they hadn't kicked out Spezzy, so you should be safe ;) ) but don't expect the same amount/level of advice.

I'm an Assassin but do mostly "warrior/ranger" stuff. Maybe next challenge i will actually have to guts to venture out of my safe haven.

• Like 5

Hello there! I also had a question regarding 'what guild does this fit in'. Many assassins do hulahooping, aerial silks, aerial hoops, poledancing, slacklining, and any other kind of circus/performance arts. I did not see any such activity indicated in any guilds. Any thoughts on this? 

• Like 1

First off all, thank you spezzy for the info and the clarified guild descriptions!  You guys are doing amazing work and I cannot wait to see the NF character system deployed.

Now, there seems to be a prevailing opinion that over-endorses the component specific exercises and workout routines play in the overall guild description, and it really isn't doing the guild system justice.  You can do anything and belong anywhere.  Just because your activity isn't mentioned, doesn't mean that you are an outcast or don't belong within a certain guild.

So I would like to suggest that everyone just take a deep breath for a moment.

As within our real lives, change often brings with it a headache or two.  We're all passionate about Nerd Fitness and the forums, as is the NF Management team, but we're all in this together.  Rather than pouncing all over the new descriptions, try to keep an open mind and interpret the intention behind these changes and the descriptions rather than the buzzwords or specifics. 

Obviously you're welcome to enjoy powerlifting, yoga, and working towards that elusive first pull-up while an Assassin.  That Warrior may enjoy running for cardio and hiking for fun as breaks between lifting sessions.  A Monk could be a CrossFItter working on their conditioning for bouts on the mat.  Our Druids, from what I've seen, dabble across the spectrum of exercise as much as a Ranger might, though their minds are often geared toward exercising their minds as much as the body.  Adventurers and Rangers have historically seen some overlap and wondered about their places between the two guilds, and while the new descriptions might not be the remedy you hoped for, the answer has been delivered and put into practice.  Now we adapt.

More than anything, anyone who has been around the NF forums for a short while knows that the most important factor around is a sense of belonging.  Try out a guild that seems like it might cater to your activities of choice.  If, after a challenge cycle, you aren't satisfied, move on.  Try another guild.  We are fortune to have a variety of guilds catering to so many different interests that it might take some time to find the perfect niche for you.  With so many welcoming folks floating around the forums, you're bound to find someone around who can point you in the right direction and offer any advice or answers you might require.

• Like 31

Looking for a little feedback from you kids...

I've been on the forums for a year and a half now and have been in the Adventurers Guild since day one (beside recruit), but am now wondering where I should be moving too.

I realize that it MY choice, that there is NO wrong guild to be etc... but would like some advice.

My ongoing goals have been to:

1. Keep off the 80-90 pounds that I've lost over the past couple of years.

2. Do some light cardio every week

3. Keep up and build upon my body weight exercises

4. Work towards non fitness life goals (finishing basement, writing stories, researching family history etc..)

Based off what I've read, I think I sound like a (experienced) Rebel or maybe an "lite" Assassin.

What do you guys think? Not really sure where those of us who are just trying to maintain our good habits/weight loss fit in.

• Like 3

First of all i don't think you even have to move, if adventurers still feels like your family no problem in you staying there. According to your goals (light cardio / bodyweight) i would say an Assassin would be a fit, but ranger or scout is also an option. If i were you i would look at your most important goal for next Challenge. If it's cardio, Scout or Ranger if it's bodyweight Assassin.

Everyone is glad to have ya aboard!

• Like 3

Petefeet - you can also approach it in a slightly different way. What goal is the most important for you? Or what do you expect to struggle most with? If your bodyweight goal is very important/hard then definitely assassins! If the cardio is the part you think you will struggle with, maybe scouts? (depends on the type of cardio) but even all goals together would fit well with assassins. No such thing as a 'lite' assassin really ;) Everyone is awesome, everyone does things that are challenging to them! So don't think that if you don't do handstands daily that you would be a 'lite' version of a certain class, because that's certainly not true! 

• Like 6

Looking for a little feedback from you kids...

I've been on the forums for a year and a half now and have been in the Adventurers Guild since day one (beside recruit), but am now wondering where I should be moving too.

I realize that it MY choice, that there is NO wrong guild to be etc... but would like some advice.

My ongoing goals have been to:

1. Keep off the 80-90 pounds that I've lost over the past couple of years.

2. Do some light cardio every week

3. Keep up and build upon my body weight exercises

4. Work towards non fitness life goals (finishing basement, writing stories, researching family history etc..)

Based off what I've read, I think I sound like a (experienced) Rebel or maybe an "lite" Assassin.

What do you guys think? Not really sure where those of us who are just trying to maintain our good habits/weight loss fit in.

Number 4 sounds like mental health, and it seems that a good bunch of Druids focus on their life goal and may or may not mention their diet and exercise efforts.  At least look in the Druids guild for people to follow for inspiration.

• Like 3

Number 4 sounds like mental health, and it seems that a good bunch of Druids focus on their life goal and may or may not mention their diet and exercise efforts.  At least look in the Druids guild for people to follow for inspiration.

Gobnait makes a great point! And my apologies for not referencing to you guys!

If your primary focus is there be sure to check them out!!!

For me, I look at what I wish to be someday. I want to emulate an Assassin and be in control of my body. I may use kettlebells and yoga one challenge because those will help me get to my goal. But in the end I want to do cool things like one handed push ups, hand stands, etc.

Also, I feel so supported with the Assassins I just can't leave. Finding people with a similar mindset is more important (IMHO) than trying to match workout styles.

• Like 17

As Rurik said, thank you Spezzy for clarifying this and for all the work you do. We can be a contentious group, but that's what happens when you put a bunch of nerds together.

I'm always unfailingly polite to Spezzy, or any woman who is strong enough to rip my head off and jam it up my butt.

• Like 7

First of all i don't think you even have to move, if adventurers still feels like your family no problem in you staying there. According to your goals (light cardio / bodyweight) i would say an Assassin would be a fit, but ranger or scout is also an option. If i were you i would look at your most important goal for next Challenge. If it's cardio, Scout or Ranger if it's bodyweight Assassin.

Everyone is glad to have ya aboard!

Petefeet - you can also approach it in a slightly different way. What goal is the most important for you? Or what do you expect to struggle most with? If your bodyweight goal is very important/hard then definitely assassins! If the cardio is the part you think you will struggle with, maybe scouts? (depends on the type of cardio) but even all goals together would fit well with assassins. No such thing as a 'lite' assassin really ;) Everyone is awesome, everyone does things that are challenging to them! So don't think that if you don't do handstands daily that you would be a 'lite' version of a certain class, because that's certainly not true! 

Thanks for the feedback kids, something to think on.

I guess my Primary Goal is too maintain my current level of weight loss and continue with my Cardio (walking or recumbent bike) and Bodyweight exercises. Right now that is taking most of my energy.

Also, I meant no slight by using the "lite" term when referring to the Assassins, I guess I was just meaning that the only thing that I saw in common with them was bodyweight exercises, rather than the more interesting stuff (in my opinion) like parkour or gymnastics.

• Like 1

Where would a student of arms fall? I would say Monk or Warrior, but weaponry isn't all that goes into the conditioning.

I would say Ranger. I think it's be a good balance of all things needed to train in weaponry.

Hello there! I also had a question regarding 'what guild does this fit in'. Many assassins do hulahooping, aerial silks, aerial hoops, poledancing, slacklining, and any other kind of circus/performance arts. I did not see any such activity indicated in any guilds. Any thoughts on this?

All those things mentioned, to me, seem like a subset of gymnastics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1