• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

spezzy

[archive / outdated] CHALLENGE AND CLASS CHANGES AND UPDATES

Hello there! I also had a question regarding 'what guild does this fit in'. Many assassins do hulahooping, aerial silks, aerial hoops, poledancing, slacklining, and any other kind of circus/performance arts. I did not see any such activity indicated in any guilds. Any thoughts on this? 

I wish NF had a Bard guild.  Since we don't have one, the Assassins are certainly the best fit.

Thanks for the feedback kids, something to think on.

I guess my Primary Goal is too maintain my current level of weight loss and continue with my Cardio (walking or recumbent bike) and Bodyweight exercises. Right now that is taking most of my energy.

Also, I meant no slight by using the "lite" term when referring to the Assassins, I guess I was just meaning that the only thing that I saw in common with them was bodyweight exercises, rather than the more interesting stuff (in my opinion) like parkour or gymnastics.

By my understanding, you'd just stay a Rebel.  But there is one other approach you could consider.  Your short term goals are to continue losing weight and exercising.  But after you've reached your weight goals, then what?  Are you planning on running 10Ks?  Are you going to take up a martial art?  Are you going to get into powerlifting?  You could always pick a guild based on your longer term goals, as the people in the guild could be very invaluable in helping you get started.

• Like 5

Spezzy, when do you think we can expect the character creation part of the site to be up? Is it anything like what's available for the Academy (though it sounds a little more in depth)?

Also, you mentioned that these changes would be for the first few challenges - does this mean that there are more changes coming, or that you guys will be updating based on feedback/observation?

Thanks!

• Like 3

That does help a bit.

I understand that all of these changes tie into the new book, but it's very important to keep in mind that none of us have read the book, and even after it comes out not all of us will. So all of the descriptions need to stand on their own, and they seem to fall a little short of that.

Adding the example exercises does help explain much better than the example characters and people. But I think adding more information about a common mindset (seperate from descriptions of "common" activities) in each of the guilds would also help a lot. Some of the descriptions touch on it, and others don't.

Moving on from that, is there still going to be a Recruit section for people doing their first challenge?

• Like 1

I know this is pretty well straightened out for everyone, but I had a moment of clarity of thought this morning and thought to share.

I see 3 major reasons that one might choose a particular guild:

1. The guild trains in the way that you train, and you want the support of people who are likewise in movement.

ex: I am an assassin even though running and martial arts are my primary focus, because I want to support my running and martial arts by training with bodyweight exercises, and am chasing my first pull-up.

2. The guild does the things you love to do, and you want to spend time with people likewise in passion.

ex: the more straight forward selection of guild - monks gonna fight, assassin's gonna assassinate, rangers gonna ranger. etc. If I wasn't with the assassins, I'd choose monk because of my martial arts. Instead, I just lurk and pester them.

3. The guild has the same attitude towards doing things as you do, and you want to spend time with people likewise in spirit.

ex: selecting a guild that has the same frequency of posting, style of mini-challenge, or type of support that you crave and know will keep you coming back.

I could have used this clarity of thought when I was an assassin ambassador to help out! :) Everyone has a different driver that keeps them coming back, and so it's really difficult to tell someone *why* they should choose one guild over another. Again, why it's important to remember we can switch around at any time.

• Like 14

I know this is pretty well straightened out for everyone, but I had a moment of clarity of thought this morning and thought to share.

I see 3 major reasons that one might choose a particular guild:

1. The guild trains in the way that you train, and you want the support of people who are likewise in movement.

ex: I am an assassin even though running and martial arts are my primary focus, because I want to support my running and martial arts by training with bodyweight exercises, and am chasing my first pull-up.

2. The guild does the things you love to do, and you want to spend time with people likewise in passion.

ex: the more straight forward selection of guild - monks gonna fight, assassin's gonna assassinate, rangers gonna ranger. etc. If I wasn't with the assassins, I'd choose monk because of my martial arts. Instead, I just lurk and pester them.

3. The guild has the same attitude towards doing things as you do, and you want to spend time with people likewise in spirit.

ex: selecting a guild that has the same frequency of posting, style of mini-challenge, or type of support that you crave and know will keep you coming back.

I could have used this clarity of thought when I was an assassin ambassador to help out! :) Everyone has a different driver that keeps them coming back, and so it's really difficult to tell someone *why* they should choose one guild over another. Again, why it's important to remember we can switch around at any time.

This all sounds a bit familiar ... :P 

• Like 1

I think I want to try a challenge for the first time. I was kind of scared over the past year because it seems overwhelming but at this point I think I'd rather try and fail than not try at all. 

• Like 13

I think I want to try a challenge for the first time. I was kind of scared over the past year because it seems overwhelming but at this point I think I'd rather try and fail than not try at all. 

Great choice!!! Everybody is very supportive. So just go ahead, and don't be afraid of failing, i failed my last challenge miserably, but it gave me great new insights!. Like you said yourself better to fail than not try at all!

• Like 5

Where would a student of arms fall? I would say Monk or Warrior, but weaponry isn't all that goes into the conditioning.

Monks.

If Monks are all about fighting, weapon studies definitely fall under Monks.  I'll ask Spezzy if she can add in Kendo or HEMA to the descriptors.

And like everyone is saying, just because something doesn't get all encompassed in the guild descriptions doesn't mean you can't hunker down there.  I'm solidly a monk, but I lift, ruck, and yoga frequently enough that I could be half a dozen other guilds by the new descriptors.  But at the end of the day, I monk, and everything else is meant to supplement that.  So the Monks are stuck with me.

• Like 5

Is the way that the challenge is set up going to change significantly, or is it still similar with a mind to a four-week cycle?

I'm a little bit excited about the character page.  I hope that it is cool and easy to use.

• Like 2

Sorry to keep nitpicking things and being a pain-in-the-ass, spezzy, but what are the plans to ensure that fitness noobs don't just fall through the cracks?  Lumping fitness noobs and NF noobs together in the Rebels section will most likely make everyone want to graduate out of that forum after 1 challenge.  But, if we're going to encourage noobs who happen to choose, for example, BBWW, c25K, gym machine lifting, or NF yoga as a means of dipping their toes into having a regular exercise into joining the Assassins, Scouts, Warriors, or Druids, respectively, those noobs are just going to get lost in the shuffle.  One of the benefits of having the Adventurers guild be a habit forming guild was that it seemed a logical place to sort the fitness noobs and give them a means of support.  

Will the Rebels/Recruit guild be changed to encourage noobs to just remain there?  Will there be an extra focus on Accountabilibuddies?  I think it's awesome that the NF overlords are willing to change things up a bit and try new things.   :)  I'm just worried that the new format will make it even harder for fitness noobs to find support and succeed here.  

• Like 6

One of the benefits of having the Adventurers guild be a habit forming guild was that it seemed a logical place to sort the fitness noobs and give them a means of support.  

Will the Rebels/Recruit guild be changed to encourage noobs to just remain there?  Will there be an extra focus on Accountabilibuddies?  I think it's awesome that the NF overlords are willing to change things up a bit and try new things.   :)  I'm just worried that the new format will make it even harder for fitness noobs to find support and succeed here.  

I almost wish that Rebels and Recruits were two separate guilds. Rebels for those of us (experienced members to the forums) who don't fit into any of the other guilds and do our own thing, and Recruits for those new members trying to figure things out, get used to challenges, posting, figuring out goals etc...

• Like 8

Sooo if the challenge starts on January 4th when exactly can we register for it and create this newfangled character page doohickey?

I've ignored my fitness far too much in 2015 and I'm liking what I'm seeing here with the changes so far! So I'm back!

• Like 8

I almost wish that Rebels and Recruits were two separate guilds. Rebels for those of us (experienced members to the forums) who don't fit into any of the other guilds and do our own thing, and Recruits for those new members trying to figure things out, get used to challenges, posting, figuring out goals etc...

I think that the more experienced Rebels can help the recruits to create a good challenge, rather then just the guild leaders that have to keep an eye on them. 

It could help them get assimilated into the NF consciousness sooner, and make it harder for them to leave. *evil laugh*

• Like 12

I think that the more experienced Rebels can help the recruits to create a good challenge, rather then just the guild leaders that have to keep an eye on them. 

It could help them get assimilated into the NF consciousness sooner, and make it harder for them to leave. *evil laugh*

Ooh... These are both super good points.

I just finished my first challenge, and I was kind of bummed that you need to do one challenge as a recruit before you join a guild, but I completely see why that is. With a four week challenge, this is less of an issue. I think it was about 3-4 weeks when I felt like, "Okay, I got this. I understand how they do things now."

But the assassins made it clear that I was welcome to participate in the Assassin forum at any time, I just couldn't compete in the mini challenges.

• Like 4

I, on the other hand (where I have different fingers) would probably have stayed in Rebels had it not been Recruits.

Let me explain.

No, would take too long, let me summarize.

My main goal is to get healthy. Stay off cholesterol meds. Get off blood pressure meds. Live a good long time with the woman I don't want to live without.

If that means eating right I'll eat right . if that means lifting a barbell I'll lift a barbell. If that means doing push ups and Pull ups that's what I'll do.

I don't have a goal of lifting X or doing Y reps or weighing Z. I just want to die of something other than being out of shape.

So its settled. I'm a Rebel.

• Like 14

Ooh... These are both super good points.

I just finished my first challenge, and I was kind of bummed that you need to do one challenge as a recruit before you join a guild, but I completely see why that is. With a four week challenge, this is less of an issue. I think it was about 3-4 weeks when I felt like, "Okay, I got this. I understand how they do things now."

But the assassins made it clear that I was welcome to participate in the Assassin forum at any time, I just couldn't compete in the mini challenges.

Referencing both quote as well.  When I joined, it seemed like Adventurer was the combined newb and catch-all guild, but you could go straight into the right guild if you really wanted to or were only new to the forum. 

The mini-challenges frustrated me because I felt like I was dragging my guild down.  (I dealt with it by refusing to acknowledge any participation.)

Assuming that the forum software could handle it, wouldn't it be better to have people choose guilds and just give them a newb badge?  Their numbers wouldn't count in minis, they could be targeted for attention by people who liked newbs and easily ignored by people who didn't have the patience for them. 

I have other ideas for badges.  (Basically there could be a bard class, but they have to choose a guild to hang out with.  My class would be tavernkeeper because I waste too much energy on my life goals that I don't find time to exercise.)

• Like 2

When/where are we going to be able to post our new challenges? Will an Epic Quest link go up? Is there still going to be a 'current challenge' forum that we post in? Id like to go ahead and get everything planned and posted since the challenge starts next week, but I dont see where to do that with the new rules...

• Like 3

I'm a Starpuck.     Starpuck's hate change.  Change makes them nervous and stressed.  

But 2016 is a new year, and perhaps that should be her first adventure!

As for where she'll do it?  Man, I'm a BARD!  LOL.   Jack of all, master of none, lol.    I lift some weights, but in weighted body-weight movements.  I love bodyweight stuff, but nursing this damn shoulder through months of injury limits me on the BW stuff I can do.   I run too, not because I like to, but the more I run, the better my hockey pants fit!    I'm kinda a ranger in that regard, but let's face it.   Ezio is cooler than Strider any day.   And the people I found in the Assassin's guild these past few challenges mesh with my silliness.     And somewhere in the mix, my fitness trends cross with someone or another in just about any of the guilds. 

I was a ranger for a long time, but I felt like they were all doing 5x5 or Strong Lifts, and becoming Barbell Girls!   I use them a bit, but not in the same frequency the others did.  So that's when I made the switch to Assassins. 

TL:DR - As others have said, don't worry too much about fitting in exactly to a guild's perimeters.  We ALL fit in perfectly wherever we are, because we're all Nerds!   For the Rebellion!

And here's to facing the first hurdle of change in the new year!

anime-Kill-la-Kill-Mankanshoku-Mako-anim

• Like 7

Also the guilds themselves change with each new crop of people who are popping up and guild hopping.

So really you can find something you like in every guild. Nobody is really so cut and dry with what they like and the mix of interests and

the meshing of guilds is what keeps things interesting and can help people to discover new things and different ways of looking at fitness

that they never thought of. 

Tldr; Jump in and start swimming 

• Like 1

FYI a few people have asked questions :)

The challenge starts 1/4/15 --> that is when you'll be able to register for the new system if and only if you want to. I'm working my hardest to try to get it up a day or two early, but no promises :)  Full instructions on how to integrate and work them together if you want to.

The challenges will still take place within the forums, that does not change, this is just an additional aspect you're welcome to use if you want to. It's not a required part. The forums will be posted later this week.

Also one thing with classes and guilds -- remember this is your nerd fitness. Whatever it is that makes you happy, do that. We're not trying to force y'all into being something you don't want to be. 

• Like 16

I second (third?) the "when are we going to be able to start posting our challenges".  I haven't done a challenge since camp and I. AM. PUMPED!!  I just want to get my enthusisim onto the boards before it wains.  :)

• Like 2

I second (third?) the "when are we going to be able to start posting our challenges".  I haven't done a challenge since camp and I. AM. PUMPED!!  I just want to get my enthusisim onto the boards before it wains.  :)