• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

spezzy

[archive / outdated] CHALLENGE AND CLASS CHANGES AND UPDATES

FYI a few people have asked questions :)

The challenge starts 1/4/15 --> that is when you'll be able to register for the new system if and only if you want to. I'm working my hardest to try to get it up a day or two early, but no promises :) Full instructions on how to integrate and work them together if you want to.

The challenges will still take place within the forums, that does not change, this is just an additional aspect you're welcome to use if you want to. It's not a required part. The forums will be posted later this week.

Also one thing with classes and guilds -- remember this is your nerd fitness. Whatever it is that makes you happy, do that. We're not trying to force y'all into being something you don't want to be.

Thank you for all the hard work Spezzy. I've been a software developer for 30 years and know how thankless it can be, consider yourself thanked. If I ever get to a camp and meet you IRL I'll give you a hug if you promise not to hurt me. :)

• Like 14

Guys, don't worry about losing your friends. I've been an Adventurer for several years now (before the rebel/ recruit existed) and I wanted to mention a few things.

1. I got to know people best in the Accountabilibuddies groups which can be from a mix of guilds.

2.Over the years, many of my friends have moved on from Adventurers or dabbled in another area and we still follow each other.

Think of these guilds as different rooms in the same house. We're all still here together. This can also be a great opportunity to connect with new people you didn't know before or gain more knowledge for a specific short term goal.

Thank you NF team for all the work you've been putting into this. I think this new challenge style will help keep motivation and momentum going better long term. 

• Like 14

I was a ranger for a long time, but I felt like they were all doing 5x5 or Strong Lifts, and becoming Barbell Girls!   I use them a bit, but not in the same frequency the others did.  So that's when I made the switch to Assassins. 

Yeah, I am new here, but that was also my impression - that getting stronger is a big deal to Rangers. It is more athletic endurance + strength, not just straight up, "How can I improve my deadlift?" (like Warriors), but my impression is that strength is still a cornerstone of Ranger training. 

While Assassins have a certain focus on strength, my impression has been that the point of diminishing returns is much more modest for most Assassins. Like you need to be strong enough to do the things you want to do, but once you reach a certain functional baseline, skill development is much more important. Yeah, you probably continue to get stronger, but it is in the context of skills. Another common factor in a lot of Assassin stuff is that they unless they are super scrawny, they are much more likely to want to get much stronger without putting on much mass, whereas that doesn't seem to be a concern for Rangers. 

I think it gets confusing because SO MANY of us are coming in at a remedial fitness level. So we wind up with a lot more overlap in training than you would see on other fitness oriented sites. Many of us are just not yet at the level of doing the more advanced stuff that would really differentiate us. We're still establishing that baseline level of strength and fitness that pretty much any physical pursuit is going to require. So there is a lot of overlap.

I really like the Adventurer guild being about exploring the world around you. Because you do need a baseline level of fitness there too, but the point of diminishing returns is a lot lower than other guilds. You are pretty much "fit enough" if you can walk around for most of the day hauling a modest amount of gear, hitting the occasional stairs or steep incline, and taking the occasional rest. But a lot of us aren't there. Not even remotely there. So even if our goal is just to be fit enough to do some occasional hiking and stuff, we're going to need to do some serious training to get there. 

• Like 8

Sorry to keep nitpicking things and being a pain-in-the-ass, spezzy, but what are the plans to ensure that fitness noobs don't just fall through the cracks?  Lumping fitness noobs and NF noobs together in the Rebels section will most likely make everyone want to graduate out of that forum after 1 challenge.  But, if we're going to encourage noobs who happen to choose, for example, BBWW, c25K, gym machine lifting, or NF yoga as a means of dipping their toes into having a regular exercise into joining the Assassins, Scouts, Warriors, or Druids, respectively, those noobs are just going to get lost in the shuffle.  One of the benefits of having the Adventurers guild be a habit forming guild was that it seemed a logical place to sort the fitness noobs and give them a means of support.  

Will the Rebels/Recruit guild be changed to encourage noobs to just remain there?  Will there be an extra focus on Accountabilibuddies?  I think it's awesome that the NF overlords are willing to change things up a bit and try new things.   :)  I'm just worried that the new format will make it even harder for fitness noobs to find support and succeed here.  

Please keep in mind I am still completely new here and have yet to complete a challenge yet. However I have a decent idea I think that might make things a little easier for everyone. I feel like in the mini-challenges that each class has, that there should be 3 levels of exercises for people of various degrees of fitness ability. Just pulling something out of my ass here but say the mini-challenge is to do 100 of a certain exercise for a week, Tier 3 can do 100 Burpees, Tier 2 can do 100 pushups, Tier 1 can do 100 knee-pushups. I feel like giving the exercises that go with the guilds and also providing 3 levels of intensity so people who might want to try it can do it as well. Please disregard if this is something that is already being done. I'm just observing in the corner :)

• Like 1

Spezzy seriously thank you! To you and everyone who makes NF playable and enjoyable to the community. I guess we're just all really excited for the update! I'm extremely excited to share NF with my friends and my other forums. So thank you for all your hard work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Please keep in mind I am still completely new here and have yet to complete a challenge yet. However I have a decent idea I think that might make things a little easier for everyone. I feel like in the mini-challenges that each class has, that there should be 3 levels of exercises for people of various degrees of fitness ability. Just pulling something out of my ass here but say the mini-challenge is to do 100 of a certain exercise for a week, Tier 3 can do 100 Burpees, Tier 2 can do 100 pushups, Tier 1 can do 100 knee-pushups. I feel like giving the exercises that go with the guilds and also providing 3 levels of intensity so people who might want to try it can do it as well. Please disregard if this is something that is already being done. I'm just observing in the corner :)

Good idea...Lots of the mini challenges are very flexible and let you customize what you do to fit a particular task. Even more open-ended than you suggest! Snoop around the different guilds and take a look.

Some recent Ranger challenges had people set their own goals each week in different categories (such as strength or stamina) or doing targeted workouts (such as anything you want involving kettlebells...or something you decide is in the same spirit) or trying out different skills (try sneaking up on something/someone or practice moving stealthily).

• Like 2

Hello to all, 2016 is a respawn year in so many ways. 

I'm looking forward to making this the best year ever in terms of my fitness and in life in general.

I know I've been away too long when y'all think I'm a newb!

It's going to be a great year!

• Like 4

Should I 

Do a 4 week challenge focusing only on not being on the computer/internet too much(since I am very addicted to it).

or

Make the internet goal just 1 goal of 3 or 4. The others being a combination of goals I have had in the past.

I have failed miserably at my 16- 6 week challenges; mostly because of fatigue, extreme laziness, food addiction, & most of all...internet addiction. 

Hello to all, 2016 is a respawn year in so many ways.

I'm looking forward to making this the best year ever in terms of my fitness and in life in general.

I know I've been away too long when y'all think I'm a newb!

It's going to be a great year!

Long time no see. Welcome back Wicked Pixie.

I left the Assassins Guild a couple challenges ago at least in part because no one was doing anything remotely similar to me, and I felt like I didn't fit in at all.  

I'm looking forward to the 4 week format, though!

I kindof feel the same way-- but only because there isn't a "seniors guild".  I'm technically an assassin because of the BBWW.  But I have a hard enough time doing my own workouts, let alone the guild challenges.  So don't participate.  And that means I'm less involved in the community and feel disconnected, as if I fall through the cracks in that regard. 

Also looking forward to the 4-week format!

I'm excited to see the new stuff, it sounds awesome.  I just wanted to know if I needed to start preparing to start over, which would have made me sad, but I wouldn't have gone anywhere because NF is too cool to leave. :)  Glad to hear nothing's changing in that regard, and I apologize if I sounded like I was complaining or panicking.  Looking forward to doing awesome things in 2016!

• Like 1

I, on the other hand (where I have different fingers) would probably have stayed in Rebels had it not been Recruits.

Let me explain.

No, would take too long, let me summarize.

My main goal is to get healthy. Stay off cholesterol meds. Get off blood pressure meds. Live a good long time with the woman I don't want to live without.

If that means eating right I'll eat right . if that means lifting a barbell I'll lift a barbell. If that means doing push ups and Pull ups that's what I'll do.

I don't have a goal of lifting X or doing Y reps or weighing Z. I just want to die of something other than being out of shape.

So its settled. I'm a Rebel.

My main goal is similar. I want to be healthy in general (some cardio, some strength, good diet), not focus on something specific. I loved being an Assassin, but felt I had to change last challenge to Rangers. I was still super supported by all my Assassin (and other guilds) friends and new Ranger friends. As long as you find a guild you can call home. For now the Rangers with their outdoor-sy feeling is it, falling in nicely with the South African summer!

That is the NF way - always supporting, always there for each other. Sometimes you make so many new friends, and want to support and read up about so many other NFs, you can't get to everyone! And not necessarily only within a guild.

• Like 3

Should I 

Do a 4 week challenge focusing only on not being on the computer/internet too much(since I am very addicted to it).

or

Make the internet goal just 1 goal of 3 or 4. The others being a combination of goals I have had in the past.

I have failed miserably at my 16- 6 week challenges; mostly because of fatigue, extreme laziness, food addiction, & most of all...internet addiction. 

Just my opinion...you should do whatever you think will work best for you. One suggestion...since 3-4 goals hasn't worked well for you in the past, I'll suggest 2. One goal related to cutting back on your internet usage in some way. One goal related to a positive behavior. Something you will actually do (rather than not do)...maybe something pretty straightforward like walking outside for at least 5 minutes 3 times a week or drinking a couple liters of water every day. Build up some success. Also maybe try building in some rewards for yourself?

I kindof feel the same way-- but only because there isn't a "seniors guild".  I'm technically an assassin because of the BBWW.  But I have a hard enough time doing my own workouts, let alone the guild challenges.  So don't participate.  And that means I'm less involved in the community and feel disconnected, as if I fall through the cracks in that regard. 

There are lots of us seniors sprinkled around the guilds. Have you been able to find a few? Sometimes there have been accountabilibuddies groups for the "Chronologically blessed" ...not sure if there is one now, but if there isn't, you might think of re-starting it. Also, if you want, take a peek at some of the mini-challenges in the other guilds. No, you can't "officially" do them, but no one would stop you from doing the activities. Would it be possible to suggest some modifications to the assassin challenges? I bet other people would appreciate them too.

• Like 3

I think the seniors issues are well handled in the Chronologically Blessed thread we're both members of.  Specific issues (for instance weight lifting for those of us with a few more laps around the sun than others) can be handled in the guild forums too.

I think morphing Recruits into Rebels is a good thing.  Everyone starts as a Rebel while they find out what their interests may be, and it's also a place for more experienced generalists (providing more support for the newbies in the process).  So you're not forced into a specific mode from your second challenge onward.

Speaking (typing?) for myself, I think I went into barbell training a little too quickly, but nothing else really fit (maybe Adventurers under the old definitions, but not the new).  That's why I think for this challenge I'm going to back off, do some body weight exercises, and try to attain some specific goals (like doing a push up, pull up, and touching my toes).  Also getting my eating back on track after my Thanksgiving-to-New Years excesses.  Maybe some non-physical-fitness related things too (like giving my prayer life a boost).

I'm trying to get my wife to sign up for a challenge too, if she does she'll also go in as a Rebel, so we'll be in it together.

• Like 4

I think morphing Recruits into Rebels is a good thing.  Everyone starts as a Rebel while they find out what their interests may be, and it's also a place for more experienced generalists (providing more support for the newbies in the process).  So you're not forced into a specific mode from your second challenge onward.

I see your point and in some ways agree, though my "first blush" reaction was different. Initially it felt like (just how I felt, not how it might have been meant): "If you're not going to join one of the cool guilds we're going to stick you at the kids table."

Now that I've had a day or so to think about, I'll be a Rebel and offer support to any newbies so they start off on the right foot.

• Like 5

I know this seems like old news now but I also cannot access the guild descriptions. I have noticed everyone having this issue is an ambassador, could this be pertinent?