• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

spezzy

[archive / outdated] CHALLENGE AND CLASS CHANGES AND UPDATES

That's exactly why I'm excited about the change to a 4WC.  Usually, I discover by the challenge midpoint whether a goal just isn't working.  And then I have to decide whether to be kind of lame and change my goals or whether I should trudge through another 3 weeks with a goal that isn't working.  4 weeks seems like a perfect challenge length for people who are trying out a new program or seeing whether they can or want to turn a new thing into a habit.

Yep.  I was envisioning circus and performance arts.  It also would be a great place for people with writing or musical instrument goals, too.

I find the epic team vs. team minis overwhelming and distracting for exactly those reasons.  But I appreciate that there are so many different mini styles between all of the guilds, so those who are motivated by the epic minis can do them in some guilds, and those who need much more relaxed minis can find them elsewhere.  

Amen on the week three changing!  I can't say how many times that has happened...

I always thought writing/painting/instruments should have its own tag too, though slightly separate from circus and performance.  But that's just imo.  I find sometimes the two mesh well (and the personalities involved), and other times it's like oil and water xD

I've never done one of the epic team minis so I can't comment there, but even just the personal ones was too much on top of forming habits for me.  Wish I could participate, but I've proven to be incapable of splitting my attention any further and succeed heh.

I would like more "classes" even if they don't get their own guilds.  I've been focused on making the house more livable and not back-sliding on my chores for years, which would make my class be innkeeper.  Even if people with that same focus are scattered across the guilds, I can find them if they use the same tags as I do.

Innkeeper tag sounds good. :)

Yea I'd use that for sure.  I'm starting to think maybe there should be a sticky post somewhere with tags like these (bard, inkeeper) to describe them for people and have the ability to click a tag and see all the current challenges under that "class" (and maybe another one for previous/archived ones).  There's so many ways to tag anyone with circus (pole, hoop, silk etc), creative (art/writing) or even home/adulting stuff (i.e. minimizing, adulting, cleaning etc.) that trying to search for them gets a wee bit crazy (for goal ideas and science.  Esp. for science ;) )

• Like 11

they're completely independent of eachother, though support eachother if you'd like to use them both.

It's always easy to throw out wishes when you don't have to do the admin work required, but I'll throw this wish out anyway:

I like the battle logs because I want a never ending history of what I've done just cause its fun to look back.  Plus if I want to read up on a particular persons history, I don't have to jump around from one log to another.  I started using both a battle log and a challenge log but that got repetitive copying and pasting.  Then I'd have to go to 2 different places to see responses.  What I thought would be cool is if I could move my battle log into a challenge place. Like the header of the log would be my battle log title but a subheading would be for the challenge.  If and when I go to a different team or challenge, I could move my battle log into that challenge so people in that challenge could see I was there and participating.  I would participate in the 4wk challenge, but it would be within my battle log format. 

Again, I realize its easy for me to suggest that when I don't have to do the work.  Not sure how simple that would be to do since I'm old and senile (55 and still have a flip phone).

• Like 5

While we're busy making changes/suggestions, can we have another sub forum in fitness specialties?

What we have now:

- powerlifting & weightlifting

- bodyweight

- martial arts

- yoga, meditation, tai chi

- crossfit

- endurance

Suggestion; 

- odd objects (kettlebell, sandbag, etc)

- circusy things

There are always a lot (really, a lot) of questions about kettlebells for example, plus a lot of people who simply want to talk about it, so having a place to do that would be good.

Same goes for questions about slacklining, juggling, there was a whole thing with making your own hula hoop a couple challenges back, etcetc. Would be good to store these things in one place.

• Like 7

While we're busy making changes/suggestions, can we have another sub forum in fitness specialties?

What we have now:

- powerlifting & weightlifting

- bodyweight

- martial arts

- yoga, meditation, tai chi

- crossfit

- endurance

Suggestion; 

- odd objects (kettlebell, sandbag, etc)

- circusy things

There are always a lot (really, a lot) of questions about kettlebells for example, plus a lot of people who simply want to talk about it, so having a place to do that would be good.

Same goes for questions about slacklining, juggling, there was a whole thing with making your own hula hoop a couple challenges back, etcetc. Would be good to store these things in one place.

Aren't those all assassin feats? 

As an Assassin I can concur my love of kettlebells. They are the perfect partner to bodyweight I feel, although I can see why many people would immediately associate them with the Rangers or Warriors.

• Like 1

Kettlebells are equipment, so it completely depends on what you're going to do with them. The sport for example is actually very much an endurance sport and would fit in well with the scouts.

Regardless of what guild odd objects and circus arts (and dance, too, although I think that would fit in the same section as circus arts) fit into, they don't really fit into any of the existing fitness specialty forums, which I think is what Revolutionary was asking about. I know there are some threads floating around for some of these things, but they're definitely not easy to find. It would be really nice to see these specialties get their own forums, or at least be explicitly included in the already existing forums.

• Like 1

@Gobnait, and others

I like the idea of using tags for classes for those roles that could cut across guild lines - bards, innkeepers, paladins, clerics. That's a great way to find people who may share interests but that you may not otherwise know about as they aren't in your accountability group or guild. 

Also, as was noted above, it's a way for us oldsters to find other ancient ones on the forums. 

Trying to think of where would be a good place to keep a list of tags going that are current. Will there still be a spreadsheet for accountability groups in the future? Or maybe we could pin a topic in the Rebel Base Camp to keep a rolling list of popular tags?

• Like 6

Any plans for a Rebel badge? My post feels naked! :nightmare:

yup!

just go to your edit profile page (my profile -- edit my profile).

I've added the new guilds and new guild icons :)

• Like 4

Kettlebells are equipment, so it completely depends on what you're going to do with them. The sport for example is actually very much an endurance sport and would fit in well with the scouts.

I meant the other way around. That Assassins on NF aren't especially interested in lifting chunks of metal, but there seems to be a special kettlebell exemption. It is probably because, as the group description says, "Assassins love movement and fluidity" Kettlebells are more suited to that purpose than barbells.

There is also the minimalist aspect. Assassins tend to not want a lot of gear. I don't know about other kb styles, but what sold me on Pavel's "Simple & Sinister" routine was his recommendation for men was to get just a 35lb and a 53lb, plus a 75lb for later. That is all. Not twenty of them, in five pound increments. 

Kettlebell sport in general I'd call solidly Ranger - it has that same strength-endurance blend you find in stuff like crossfit. 

• Like 1

Kettlebell sport in general I'd call solidly Ranger - it has that same strength-endurance blend you find in stuff like crossfit. 

Yes that's true, though oddly ranger is the only guild i'd never consider for myself. Perhaps because of the fluidity of the movement and the focus on the quality, efficiency.. just very anti-crossfity to me. 

(very biased elitist thinking about my own sport, i know)

• Like 1

Can you add something to your challenge that you've already been doing for a few days but you haven't made a habit of it yet? Or does it have to be something you're just starting with on the day you post your challenge thread?

Can you add something to your challenge that you've already been doing for a few days but you haven't made a habit of it yet? Or does it have to be something you're just starting with on the day you post your challenge thread?

It can be anything you want. So yes to the first question, and no to the second.

• Like 2

I meant the other way around. That Assassins on NF aren't especially interested in lifting chunks of metal, but there seems to be a special kettlebell exemption. It is probably because, as the group description says, "Assassins love movement and fluidity" Kettlebells are more suited to that purpose than barbells.

There is also the minimalist aspect. Assassins tend to not want a lot of gear. I don't know about other kb styles, but what sold me on Pavel's "Simple & Sinister" routine was his recommendation for men was to get just a 35lb and a 53lb, plus a 75lb for later. That is all. Not twenty of them, in five pound increments. 

Simple and Sinister routine??

I wanted to let those who were discussing having "occupations" (Bard, Paladin, Innkeeper, Cleric, etc.) be a more formal part of the NF ecosystem that - for want of a better place to put it - I've started an accountability group to "hack" the existing tag system and connect rebels across guild lines. 

Learn more about the Incipient Order of Taggers and its mission to connect like-minded rebels. The intent is to use something that already exists on the forums to give those who want role-play style occupations a way to have them without causing more work for the admins and NF site team. 

If it is something that people want, but think there is a better place for, let me know. It isn't exactly an accountability group, but it would be a flexible, changeable group over time. It seems more suited to accountability than PVP, as I think those who would choose to use such a tag system could spin out accountability type groups based on shared interests. 

• Like 3

Is there a guild leader for the Rebels or are we being left to fend for ourselves? I'm fine with either, but in the latter case I should probably start building a coalition for when the anarchy inevitably descends into madness.

• Like 11