Motivation forthe Motivationally Challenged???

My fiance and I have been in the forums for a while, he kinda active and I quietly observing (he's also in the academy). He's so motivated and it makes me excited to be on this journey with him, but talking about the exercises we want to do is great until it's actually time to do them. It's like a switch is flipped in my mind/body and I just lose all motivation to get up and do the workouts.

Does anyone have any advice other than "suck it up and do them anyway?" My fiance has tried reminding me of our goals and why we started, and that helps, but I need to be able to get myself to work out on days he can't be there with me.

Thanks

"To live will be an awfully big adventure!" - J.M. Barrie "Peter Pan"

Ultimately, it DOES come down to just sucking it up and doing them.  Not even Olympic athletes are motivated to do their workouts every time, but they find it in them to stay disciplined.

That said, the process will get easier once you've learned what works for you.  Not everyone does the same thing.  It'll take some time to figure out when you like to workout, how often, and what you like to do.  It's a function of a lot of stuff: what kind of exercise you find appealing, and where that exercise can fit within all the other things you've got going on in life.  If you allow yourself the freedom to experiment, you're more likely to land on the combination of factors that makes working out something you'll actually do.  So don't get bent out of shape trying to follow someone else's program to the T - take time to discover the right program for Risa Skolira.

Once you start seeing results (which takes a couple months of discipline), it'll be easier to keep at it.  Eventually this will just become a thing you do, and it won't feel like such a drag.

Hihi Risa!

When I get motivationally challenged, I re-read these 2 blogs:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2015/11/30/a-fitness-epic-your-story-of-love-health-and-self-discovery/#more-35497

and

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2016/01/04/new-years-resolutions-suck-heres-what-to-do-instead/

I've taken the link to "response on Imgur" link under Step 1 in the New Years Resolutions Suck link to heart lol

In addition, now this is going to be hard to read, but when I have been in a relationship with a less than supportive significant other who couldn't find it in themselves help US in OUR future by Wanting to keep up to be with Me (if not for themselves)... they eventually got left behind. I had a decision to make... either be happy with where I'm at or change it. I wasn't happy... this person who I wanted to spend the rest of my life with wasn't at the same part in their life as me... as much as I loved them, it was time to part ways.

Again, that's My experience and not meant to attack you. Just a simple heads up and an assist with that motivation ya seem to need.

Edit: Hmm, that second link doesn't want to take you to the page, though I did a direct c/p into the address bar and it worked... you might have to do that too~

You have to want to exercise and be fit. It's all about being positive and motivating yourself to get up and go exercise without him being there. Just wake up in the morning with a positive attitude and tell yourself "today i'm going to prove to myself and my fiance that i can exercise on my own and don't need to rely on him" then go to the gym. Once you go alone for the first time, it'll be easier to go alone the next time...the first day is the hardest. Just think about those goals you want to achieve and let that be your motivation to get up and go. You can do it! Make a playlist of your favorite songs to jam out to so you can listen to them when you are working out and that should help you too.

• Like 1

For me, I need something tangible. Something like a wall of post-its with a goal I have to do. Like 'beginner bodyweight workout' or 'make doctor's appointment' or 'write college application essay for 20 minutes'. Then I take the post-it down and I can see that I made a dent in what I have to do. Also encouraging family/friends/partners/nerdfitness buddies to support you,

• Like 1

I've taken the link to "response on Imgur" link under Step 1 in the New Years Resolutions Suck link to heart lol

In addition, now this is going to be hard to read, but when I have been in a relationship with a less than supportive significant other who couldn't find it in themselves help US in OUR future by Wanting to keep up to be with Me (if not for themselves)... they eventually got left behind.

Anita,

Thanks for the links, they're great I will look into them!

And no, that wasn't hard to read. You misunderstood where I am coming from. My fiance is so super supportive, the only issue between us is our work schedules. He's on nights and I'm at school and work during the day. It makes it difficult for us to work out together, and I hate hate hate working out alone so I just don't do it. I lack my own motivation and he just can't always be home at the same time as I am. He is my rock, and I am his. We are a team and this fitness journey is one we started together because we both want it. :)

You can do it! Make a playlist of your favorite songs to jam out to so you can listen to them when you are working out and that should help you too.

Thanks! That's a great idea, and absolutely the first day is the hardest. I'm actually going today. I went and signed up for a gym membership! :)

Baby steps!

For me, I need something tangible. Something like a wall of post-its with a goal I have to do. Like 'beginner bodyweight workout' or 'make doctor's appointment' or 'write college application essay for 20 minutes'. Then I take the post-it down and I can see that I made a dent in what I have to do. Also encouraging family/friends/partners/nerdfitness buddies to support you,

OOOH that sounds cool! I might try that, I looked at some ideas and people have made trees, and hearts, and stars and all kinds of shapes out of post-its!

Make it as easy as possible.  I go to a gym that is less than a block from where I work.  I pack my gym bag the night before I go.  If I really don't want to go, I throw a swimsuit in there so I can soak in the hot tub and reward myself.  I choose exercises that I like (walking, running, and lifting!) and skip exercises that I don't like (spinning, swimming). And I schedule time to work out, I block out an hour to go to the gym so the time is there for me to use.