• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Ballad

Meditation Tools & Resources?

Ballad   

Hi all,

What are your favourite meditation tools & resources?

I'm thinking books, apps, websites, tech, and people. I've listed three of mine below, and would be very interested in learning about yours!

1. Headspace app. This is a great freemium app for anyone looking for a guided meditation series - particularly beginners. I've only ever tried the first module, but found it really helpful.

2. Kim Nicol. Kim teaches meditation, and also writes about meditation and mindfulness in a way that is easy to understand. She is a lovely writer, and has shared a few free guided meditations that you might find useful. A good starting article might be "What meditation looks like".

3. A journal. I record two things after I meditate: (1) a short meditation reflection, and (2) a gratitude list. Taking the time to reflect has been really helpful, plus it encourages me to keep the "meditation chain" unbroken.

Your turn! What would you add to this list?

Sunmage   

A Timer / Reminder App!

And myself:

The ultimate meditation ressource is your brain ;).

I did use Apps and tools and everything for some time. They are nice. Guided meditations are a good start, too!

The journal is a great idea!  I already finish with  compassion, forgiveness and gratitude.

It feels just right to have a journal about meditation, too.

• Like 2

Ballad   

@Girl-Meet-World: I've heard great things about the Calm app! Their website is also super lovely. I'll need to give that a try sometime. Is it a freemium model, like Headspace?

@Sunmage: Ooh, I like the idea of setting a meditation reminder! I use the iPhone clock to time myself during silent meditation.

And yes to your brain! Guided meditations are great, but it's nice not to be reliant on them. Great tips!

Kath   

I follow Bexlife (she is on youtube, & has a website) She has some great beginner's tools and guided meditations. :)

I also love Grace Smith, though she is more on the holistic healing side of things - leans towards self-hypnosis rather than meditation. (Though they are super similar.) I tune into her periscope which she does a free guided session weekdays at 12 eastern, I believe? I usually catch the vids after she has done them. 

ANYWAY - yeah, as someone new to mediation, guides help a lot. (Also, lots of lovely resources in this thread, thank you!)

• Like 1

Thank you for this. It is exactly what I was looking for.

I've been using it for ... I wanna say a year now. I skip around and try others -- just tried Headspace, e.g. -- and I keep coming back to SB&T. Glad you found it useful as well.

Naxius   

I tried the timer reminders, but this did not work beyond...one day? :\

The journal idea sounds like it could work for me, though, because I tend to write things down obsessively. It's something I can try, at the very least. Just like I tried the timer, but hopefully with better results.

• Like 1

Foo   

Maybe worth adding to the list:  I've used a few of these previously for a short guided meditation, and they're free mp3's for whatever device you want them on.
Yoga Nidra

• Like 1

I really like the journal idea! I'll need to give that a try.

I generally practice Soto Zen.  I was taught by my cousin (Rich Christofferson) who is an actual Zen master:

*** PODCASTS ***

Dharma Talks by Tenshin Roshi (Soto Zen): http://zmc.org/podcast

Audio Dharma: http://www.audiodharma.org/

A lot of folk like Tara Brach. I can see why, but she doesn't do anything for me.

*** APPS ***

I use Zazen Meditation Timer app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.gaffga.android.zazentimer

I tried both Headspace and Calm.  I'm one of the few who've had a 'meh' reaction to both.

*** PHYSICAL RESOURCES ***

On my cousin's recommendation, I got this Zafu/Zabuton meditation pad.  If you're all legs (like me), then get the jumbo size.

http://www.dharmacrafts.com/102xZZ/Zafu-Zabuton-Sets.html

One of the things I like about Soto Zen is that it's sparse with paraphernalia.  I don't own chimes, crystals, incense, and such.  I find it to be clutter, which is (in my opinion) not very Zen.

I hope this helps!

• Like 1

Ergolad   

Resurrecting this thread in case anyone is looking for resources:

If metrics are your thing (which I'm fairly confident they are for most nerds), check out Insight Timer for iOS and Android. Great tool for tracking your meditation progress and also dialing into a community of meditators from different disciplines all over the world. Plus, it's LOADED with tons of free audio mediation guides.

http://www.insighttimer.com

I like this app and found it through the Insight Meditation community:

http://www.insightmeditationcenter.org

The Insight Meditation Center has some wonderful, free, non-religious programs to introduce oneself to Meditation and a great community to help support ones progress and answer questions.

But my real touchstone is the Insight Timer app. Over the last year development was taken over by a new team of dedicated meditators. They are really doing great things with it. To create a space within the app for Nerd Fitness mediations practitioners, I started a Nerd Fitness Group. The app has tons of groups dedicated to a variety of subject matter. In the Nerd Fitness Group, you'll be able to dial-in to other Nerd Fitness members, easily become meditating friends, talk NF and Mediation, and be notified when a NF friend is meditating.

If all that sounds like way too much, know that everything in the app is customizable. So if you want to just use it as a timer, you can set it up for just that. However, if you want a full blown community experience and receive feedback for the milestones in your practice, all that comes enabled by default.

I can't really think of a nerdier way of meditating.

• Like 3

Sahaja   
On 12/29/2015 at 10:20 PM, Ballad said:

I'm thinking books, apps, websites, tech, and people...

I think a yoga mat, or an activity that is safe but difficult enough to require all your attention, is the best meditation aid available.  When you're entirely focused on the exertion, the breath, or your balance, all the mental crap falls away.  Once you 'feel' that, it's far easier to meditate in stillness.

• Like 1

Pat   

A timer app is great to have.

If you are into vipassana meditation, these 2 kindle books are those I enjoyed the most so far:

Mindfulness in plain English: really good book in my opinion. I consult it often.

Vipassana, the journey of a thousand steps: It's more a story than an instruction book. You follow a woman during her 10 day meditation in a ashram. Following her experience helped me understand some things better. 

caffeine   

Hi. I'm new to meditation because I'm looking for something that help me with some mental heatlh issues that I've got (I need to control my anxiety levels). For now, I'm using youtube videos with guided meditations, but they are in spanish and from a nerd point of view I've been reading books from www.sirimangalo.com. There are some resources for meditation learning that i find very good.