• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kombimankenny

Kenny's Journal

My goals over the next 4 weeks:

1. Eat something for breakfast everyday (preferably something decent, but I'm not too picky)

2. Build my fitness so I can pass the Australian Navy basic fitness assessment with flying colours (25 Push-ups. 25 second Flexed-arm Hang. 25 Situps. 2.4km run under 13 min. 500 Metre Swim 12.5 Minutes. Beep Test 7.4 )

3. Lose 5kg.

I've started a blog to track my progress overthebarrel.wordpress.com

Good luck to everyone

Here's my update from my blog: http://www.overthebarrel.wordpress.com

There are a few things that I consider myself to be good at. Knowing a bit more than most about computers, an enyclopedic knowledge of the trivial and inane, and an ability to adapt. Exercise and fitness as a whole is not one of these things, but there are a few parts that I have come to realize I’m not too shabby at. Bike riding is one for example. I used to ride half an hour to school everyday and when I took it up again I found it pretty easy to get back into the swing of things. (My wife constantly compliments my legs, and it’s probably the only bit I’m happy to agree with her on because they are quite simply, amazing)

So getting out of my comfort zone and doing things that I’m not naturally good at has been a challenge. Tonight was the night I finally worked up the courage to do the Beginner Body Weight Circuits from Nerd Fitness and OH MY GOODNESS! I don’t think I’ve ever done an exercise that I would describe as “kicking my assâ€, but this thing dragged me down a dark alley and beat the crap out of me then stomped all over my tattered remains .. and this is the beginner workout! For the first time since I can’t remember, my shirt was soaked with sweat. Having said that, I felt much more like I was pushing myself and working towards a goal, rather than just getting generally fit.

As a minor “cherry on top†achievement for today I actually got up early enough to have breakfast today. Hopefully the start of a beautiful relationship with me and food in the morning (Shhhh! My wife can’t find out about us!)

Weight: 84kg. As nice as it would be to drop more weight, the reality is it will probably start to slow down to 1kg a week unless I make some sort of Damascus conversion to become a healthy eating, exercising saint .. and I’m just too much of a realist to hang out for that.

Exercise: The complete Beginner Body Weight Workout from Nerd Fitness:

* 20 body weight squats

* 10 push ups

* 20 walking lunges

* 10 dumbbell rows (using a gallon milk jug)

* 15 second plank

* 30 Jumping Jacks

All of that without a break, then times three. Oddly enough it was my legs that were killing me at the end, and as I’m typing this I can hear them plotting revenge against me for abusing them in such an unseemly manner.

Diet: 4 weetbix for breakfast (Hooray!), Chicken Hanaichi for lunch (a bit of chicken and a lot of rice), Chicken and veg stew plus rice for dinner. 2 Anzac biscuits for dessert.

You may notice a lot of chicken in my diet. My wife and I decided to give up red meat for Lent. I just realize if I’m going to be exercising and being fit I’m going to have to start including beans and other protein in the diet (mental note added).

Yesterday was all about my self-control in not having that orange poppy seed muffin. In celebration of my triumph, I was going to go for a run or bike ride in the evening, something I think would have been worthy of a ticker tape parade through the streets of Brisbane. Unfortunately, a meeting to discuss the preparations for the parade took up my entire night so we just cancelled the whole thing. Instead I rewarded myself this morning with aforementioned muffin, and it was scrum-diddly-umptious and mostly guilt free (as long as I can resist having one tomorrow).

If there’s one thing that gets me fuming on a work day, it’s when a piece of work lands on my desk around 3:30 – 4:00 and it looks up and says “Hey, I’m an easy bit of work, you could get me done right now and you’ll win major brownie points!†And like a fool, I believe it and tell the person that I can indeed get it done right away. Of course it’s once they’ve turned their back that the work looks back at me and says “Hahahaha! Sucker! You are mine!†And it naturally turns out to be way harder than it initially sounded and involves more work than it should have and has me staying at work until 6:00. Grrrrrrr!

Speaking of work, I should probably get back to it before it finds a mate and begins to multiply.

Weight: 84kg

Exercise: None, meant to get a jog or bike ride in but just didn’t happen.

Diet: 4 Weetbix for breakfast, Small Seafood Noodle box for lunch, 2 crumbed frozen fish fillets and baked chips for dinner. 2 ANZAC biscuits for dessert.

I don’t know how they do it, but there are so many organised people out there. They manage to have a routine and stick to it for the most part, and even when they don’t they somehow manage to adjust. I mention this because everyday at work, the office is filled with a variety of delicious aromas from people who regularly remember to bring lunch from home. From that girl who brings curry everyday, to the guy who occasionally brings a really strong-smelling fish (You know, the one that smells like a cross between a bucket of prawns and bucket of crap both left in the sun). This midday assault on my senses makes its way to my belly, who decides to rumble in protest at not being able to partake in the festivities.

I then have to walk (good thing) to one of the takeaway places (bad thing) in the city to combat the growing growls of hunger. Fortunately, I work in the city so there is an amazing variety of stuff to choose from; however, it’s not until you start to try eating healthy, or at least calorie count, that you realize that the vast majority of takeout food is deep fried, loaded with sugar or some unholy combination of the two. Once you take out those, the only thing left is that limp, sad-looking garden salad that someone made up in the morning and left there as a token to the massive “HEALTHY OPTIONS†sign they have sitting out the front that gives you the impression that its innate healthiness might rub off on that double quarter pounder, large fries and drink you just ordered.

As you can tell, I have nothing against bringing lunch to work. It’s cheaper, it’s healthier, it’s more convenient. The question is, why is today the first day I’ve done it in months? I’m feeling so good I managed to do this, that I don’t even care about the face that it wasn’t a particularly amazing lunch, or that I didn’t do a workout yesterday. I even brought a couple snacks along to tie me over until it was lunch time, how good is that!?

Weight: 84kg, I finally had someone ask if I’d lost weight today! Strangely, it’s one of those phrases that I can’t help but feel as though the person saying it is being completely insincere or mocking me (especially when they say it and I certainly haven’t lost any weight)

Exercise: Walking up the stairs? Picking up my baby boy? Yeah, I didn’t think those counted.

Diet: Orange poppy seed muffin for (late) breakfast, Skipped lunch, BBQ Chicken wings & rice for dinner. No dessert.

Kenny!

Congrats on bringing in your lunch! If you can manage to do that a few times a week, you'll feel MUCH better and save some money.

-Steve

How old's your kid?

I'm lucky enough to have a communal lunch room for my Department, but also a microwave and fridge in the area where I spend my day. So usually I eat there instead of the communal lunch room. Easier to avoid the aromas that way. Although the odd time someone brings fish and cooks that it makes me want to vomit more than pig out, so that helps :D

(OK, it's not really vomit-inducing bad, but it sure doesn't make me hungry)

Bringing lunch is great, but I could never remember to do it at my old job, and "down the hall" seemed like such a long way away to stash my leftovers.

My new job is great because I'm usually the only person in the office (I work for a small startup) and so I have the fridge to myself. I don't bring my food to work...I leave my food at work and make sandwiches/cereal when I get here. It's awesome. If I change jobs or move locations any time soon, I'm considering getting a mini fridge to stash in my office so that I can continue to eat like this. It saves a ton of money!

Good luck with brining your food!

Steve, Robzilla, Topherfangio: Thanks for the encouragement. I realized I have a mini fridge at home that we're not using, so I'm going to try and bring it in and put it in under my desk (should get some weird looks on the train I'm sure)

My son, William, is almost 11 months old and is just the most perfect little boy that ever was.

photo.jpg[/attachment:1mho7d11]

Blog update

One thing I didn’t think about happening is that as I started getting fit and shedding weight, was the effect it would have on my clothes. I say this because once upon a time, I wore extremely baggy shirts. The kind that made me look like I’d stolen the Subway guy’s old fat clothes. Even though I wasn’t very overweight I was self-conscious about my hanging gut and man-boobs, and of course I’d rather wear hideous clothes than do something about it. Fast forward to me meeting my future wife and her subtle insistence that the baggy shirts had to go (by subtle, I mean she took them and hid them away when I wasn’t looking). So I started wearing shirts that actually fit and got over the self-consciousness.

Since December I’ve lost nearly 10kg [22 pounds](Hooray for me!) and my clothes are starting to once again drape off me like curtains. I’ve told my wife this was all part of my evil plan to get back into baggy shirts without her noticing, and needless to say she was not amused. To add to the fun of ill-fitting clothes, I had to punch another hole in my belt (the second one I’ve had to add), and in doing so missed out on a fun-filled day of the “Hoik My Pants Up Every 10 Minutes†Game. All in all, not a bad problem to be having.

Seeing as I haven’t posted over the weekend (you can give me a collective slap on the wrist and a stern “Naughty boy!†warning) I should probably update on my activities. For the life of me I cannot remember everything I ate over the weekend, I should just say it included a few things I should really not be eating too much of but all of it in moderation. I spent most of the weekend finishing up the bits of the garden that weren’t finished last weekend and mowing again. In protest of my job last weekend, the grass decided to band together and grow at an alarming rate. In the end I was victorious and it looks once more like a civilized place to live.

And in breaking news, I went for a jog this morning! My little son, bless his heart, must have known that his dad was probably going to snooze his alarm again until the last possible minute. So he took it upon himself to wake dad up at the perfect time of 5:20AM, enough time to change his nappy and get him a bottle before unceremoniously being dropped next to his sleeping mother and for me to get out for a morning run before heading off to work. After the last time I went jogging (and then promptly stopped due to shin splints) I decided I would do it right this time and slowly work my way up through the Couch to 5k program and I’m happy to report I’m feeling really great.

Weight: ??kg. I haven’t weighed myself since last week. I’d love to say that because I’m feeling so good I must have lost another kilogram, but I’ll wait until I get home to find out.

Diet: 2x pieces of deep-pan pizza for breakfast, cheeseburger for lunch, low-cal pizza for dinner, ice-cream + mini muffin for dessert.

Exercise: Garden work over the weekend, 20 minute jog this morning.

I started something similar to the couch to 5k program 2 years ago, and it's what got me started in the fitness world to begin with. My wife is a competitive curler, and in the summer (i.e. off season) she usually has a workout program for her, and 2 years ago she had that program given. After a few days of nagging I eventually give it a try one night (thinking how hard can it be to jog for 30 seconds). It was rough going, to say the least. I only stuck it out for 3 weeks or so (and now I can't remember why I stopped). But it sort of planted the bug that running isn't as hard as I thought, so that lead to a gym membership for a year, and now I do this cardio kick boxing class (which continues to kick my ass night after night).

I haven't run outside for a while now, but when I was still in the gym I was able to run 2 miles in 20 minutes, so I've come a long way from 30 second jog (which really was *barely* more than a fast walk).

This summer since we have a dog I'm anxious for the snow to clear up so we can run on the same trails that I started at 2 years ago. I'm pretty sure we'll be able to jog the whole distance we used to go, without taking the walking breaks like we used to.

I'm really glad to hear that the couch to 5k program works. One of the things I need to be able to do if I get into the navy is a 2.4km(1.5miles) run in under 13 minutes so it's really good to hear that.

Blog Update: Help I've Fallen ...

Have you ever experienced something for the first time and then thought “So THAT’s what everyone was talking about!� Like the time you proudly announced to a friend that you’d never had a wedgie, and he promptly obliged in enlightening you. I had one of those experiences this morning when I passed out on the train as I headed to work. I’d been feeling pretty crook most of yesterday with a fever and headache, but when I woke up this morning I felt well enough and thought “Damn! I’m going to have to go into work today.†So I get ready for work (even being really good and actually having breakfast) and head off to board the train to work. It’s fairly packed most mornings and this was no exception. As the train makes its journey, and more and more people get on board, I start to feel a little light-headed. I write it off, but as the feeling grows I realize that I’m probably going to hurl if I don’t get off at the next station. When everything started to go dark I started to get really worried and then … I wake up to find myself flat-out on the floor of the train with everyone looking at me and talking loudly amongst themselves and at me. “Are you OK?†“He just dropped like a rock!†“It’s the anthrax!!!†(OK, I made that last one up). I get off at the station, and the staff were really good about making sure I was alright and didn’t need anything. Needless to say I headed straight back home and have been in bed for the rest of the day trying to keep up on liquids and eat something.

So I obviously haven’t been out exercising today or yesterday, which is a shame. I felt like I was just starting to get into the routine of making exercise a priority and doing something each and everyday to improve myself. Hopefully this won’t stop me from getting back into it, it’s just one of those things that feels really good to get into the swing of and disappointing to have something stop that.

Weight: 83kg. And that’s officially too, no more guess-work. I hopped on the WiiFit and it told me so.

Diet: Nothing but the weetbix I had for breakfast, I’m not sure I’d be able to keep anything else down.

Exercise: Falling to the floor, then getting back up again.

Help, I've Fallen 2

If last week was sucky, then Saturday really topped it off in the only way a single day could top off a week of suckiness .. and that is with more suck. But in order to truly top the week off it couldn’t just be awful, for that is already expected. no, Saturday proved to be far more cunning than I realized. You see, it started out with me waking up feeling energized and happy, ready to face the day and banish the spectre of the working week. I git up and went for a jog, had a lovely breakfast, cleaned the kitchen from top to bottom, and tidied up the bedroom all before midday.

My wife and I had been playing a 3 week long game of “No YOU go do the grocery shopping!†and since I was feeling so great I decided to graciously allow her to win the game, and as an added bonus for her, I took our son along to give her a bit of peace and quiet. I got the shopping done and spent the rest of the day enjoying some guilt free relaxation before heading off to youth group.

As it was the last night for the term, we usually do something a little bit special and this time it was ice skating (yeah, you can see whats going to happen now). After merrily going around a few times I decide to retire for the evening when one of the kids begs me to head back on to the ice for another couple rounds. I oblige and while on this second vaunt around the rink, another youth pilfered my hat, necessitating a chase. I admit to not being a great skater, but confident enough. However, Saturday had lain in wait for this perfect moment to strike, and did so with a vengeance. I began to slip and fall backwards. In a natural but vain motion I extended my left arm behind me to attempt some stabilisation, but gravity and Saturday in a duo of perfect destruction, simply pile drived me into the ground.

Normally this would be a chance for some mild humiliation and bruised ego, but as I said before, Saturday had it in for me, for when I got up I could hardly feel my left arm. I quickly got off the ice and rolling up my jacket sleeve to determine the damage, found my wrist doing its best impression of the letter ‘U’ that I have ever seen it perform. Needless to say a quck trip to the Emergency Dept confirmed that I’d broken it spectacularly and would need a metal plate screwed onto it to stabilize it. Now I am home and the opiates have put me in a much more pleasant state and I can safely say that last week was a royal bastard.

oh dear poor you! Hope everything heals quickly. Dont sabotage yourself and eat too much. And remember just because you have a broken arm, you can still do squats and lunges and crunches and stuff. so says the laziest girl in the class. :lol:

So I'm finally back to somewhat normal. Aftter having the metal plate inserted in my wrist (turns out the technical name for what happened is a 'distal radius fracture) and having a temporary cast on for a week, I only had to get fitted with a removable splint for the next five weeks.

It turns out that I lucked out with the public hospital system and managed to land a surgery spot with one of their senior surgeons. So the bone has been set perfectly and there are no complications. The only signs that I broke anything are an infinitesmally small range of motion in my wrist and a rather gnarly scar.

Despite the general lack of activity since the operation, after weighing myself this morning I was pleasantly surprised to find I am under 80kg! This means I've lost over 12kg and am back to the weight I was when I left highschool 8 years ago (not that I was all that fit or lean back then, but still a great step). This puts me over halfway toward my final goal weight of 70kg.

Sign in to follow this