Celebrate with me study hall! I got an interview to be a JET (this means working as an ALT in Japan) My BF also got an interview ^^

I'm so excited and thrilled right now

I work as an English Teacher in Japan, I wish you all the best! The kids are great no matter the age and Japan really is great! Good luck!

• Like 1

Fayrn

Mermaid Assassin Lv 7

| STR 9.75 | DEX 10.5 | STA 13.5 | CON 15 | WIS 11.75 | CHA 14.25 |

Current Challenge

Past Challenges: {1st}{2nd}{3rd}{4th}{5th}{6th}

Character Profile

Books Read

20.94%

20.94%

Money Saved

25%

25%

Ahh, just what I needed! I'm a PhD student, trying to write something on my thesis every day, and having a hard time getting back into the swing of things after the Christmas holidays. I'm following this thread and will check back in occasionally for accountability. Or just to read everyone else's stories, which help me feel less isolated and more motivated. :)

• Like 4

Current Challenge: Aug 2016 ~ My Epic Quest

Walk to Mordor: Hobbiton to Rivendell (458/458, arrived 27 April 2016)

Rivendell to Lothlorien (351.11/462)

Ahh, just what I needed! I'm a PhD student, trying to write something on my thesis every day, and having a hard time getting back into the swing of things after the Christmas holidays. I'm following this thread and will check back in occasionally for accountability. Or just to read everyone else's stories, which help me feel less isolated and more motivated. :)

Welcome to the group! Sending positive motivation vibes your way :)

• Like 1

"What do you fear?" "A cage. To stay behind bars until use and old age accept them and all chance of valor has gone beyond recall or desire." ~ The Two Towers

Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway. ~ Earl Nightingale

Rant the first: it is the end of week 1. I have so. much. work. already!

mishawth.gif

Rant the second: My roommate is killing me. She got her MA immediately after undergrad, from the same university we both did undergrad at. She TA'd and had another job (so about 60 hours a week) as a fulltime student and loves to throw this at me when I complain that I'm busy/have so much work, whatever. (Because last semester I was taking 3 classes and had to do 10 hours a week of research for my research assistantship. I've got that plus some other stuff this semester.) The difference is that all her classes were online, so she could literally do it all whenever she wanted, as opposed to my now 60-minutes-each-way commute, and she knew most of her profs from undergrad classes already so she could get away with shit like "instead of doing all these discussion posts online why don't I just write a 5-page paper?" I don't have that luxury. And she even still says that her program was a joke anyway and not even worth it. So yes, okay, I don't have a full-time or even part-time job, but that doesn't mean I'm sitting around all day doing absolutely nothing. D< 

In other news, one of the profs I owe two papers to after the incomplete last semester is currently super super sick, as in his classes this semester have been cancelled and it doesn't sound good. I have no idea what that means for my grade. Womp. (I am concerned for him, of course. That goes without saying. I think he's had pneumonia or something since November?)

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Okay I can see the finish line...

Just have to summarize 60 more pages and then learn everything (that's okay I think). After that I can take one or two days of from working :D :D

• Like 5

My NF-Character: https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/58102

Introduction Or How I started, Challenges: 1 ; 2 ; 3 ; 4 ; 5 ; 6 ; 7 ; RESPAWN  ; 8 ;

Member of the League of Epicness, Hellfire Club!

...would like to be a Nac Mac Feggle ;)

You guys, great news. I just finished the first page of my MS thesis and I'm very happy with it - thought I should share this tiny miracle. Only 59-ish pages to go before Monday when the draft is due. HAHA. (don't worry, most of it is drafted and just needs a major overhaul in style and organization. Or that's what I keep telling myself.)

Welcome gryffinkat. I feel your pain and wish you the best of luck! Where are you in your program, and what subject? A PhD thesis sounds so overwhelming but what an amazing achievement...

Okay I can see the finish line...

Just have to summarize 60 more pages and then learn everything (that's okay I think). After that I can take one or two days of from working :D :D

Haha, that's right. Just learn all the things and then you can take a break. Story of my life.

fleaball, your roomate sounds annoying. Try to ignore her, or maybe give some reassurance that she is special and important - sounds like she might need it.

• Like 5

Level 2 Gnome Ranger

STR 1.25 | DEX 0.5 | STA 2 | CON 2.75 | WIS 2.5 | CHA 2

Challenge #1

"Those dark cliffs looming ahead – that is the height of your achievement." - Bruce Sterling

fleaball, your roomate sounds annoying. Try to ignore her, or maybe give some reassurance that she is special and important - sounds like she might need it.

I think it's just that she and I approach life very differently. She's super chill and somehow gets away with doing the minimum required but doing it so well that it doesn't matter. I, on the other hand, am a ball of anxiety and kill myself trying to do everything "right." She's actually a pretty great person and went above and beyond last year when I was super sick. But yes, I will be ignoring her at least on this front. Maybe I'll tell her she can write a paper for me if she's so concerned. =P

• Like 3

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Found some practice tests to do and started making some actual study notes today. First big move I've done since starting read the text. Tricky part now is that all of this is online and I'm currently going without internet at home. Makes this more challenging... But at the very least I can keep reading the text. Maybe some of the practice tests are downloadable. Hmmm... Will have to check that out

• Like 2

"What do you fear?" "A cage. To stay behind bars until use and old age accept them and all chance of valor has gone beyond recall or desire." ~ The Two Towers

Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway. ~ Earl Nightingale

Okay, so tomorrow I write my final exam of the semester (and the one that's stressing me the most). I think I'm well prepared but nonetheless wish me luck ;)

• Like 2

Introduction Or How I started, Challenges: 1 ; 2 ; 3 ; 4 ; 5 ; 6 ; 7 ; RESPAWN  ; 8 ;

Welcome gryffinkat. I feel your pain and wish you the best of luck! Where are you in your program, and what subject? A PhD thesis sounds so overwhelming but what an amazing achievement...

Thanks, cotterpin! I can definitely use the luck. I'm in my second year of a 3-4 year degree in early medieval English literature. I'm studying characterization in the Old English version of Esther, written about 1,000 years ago. I love it, it's just lots of work. I did actually manage to get some decent writing done today, so feeling good about that. :)

Okay, so tomorrow I write my final exam of the semester (and the one that's stressing me the most). I think I'm well prepared but nonetheless wish me luck ;)

Best of luck, Schaengel! I'm sure you'll do well. 

• Like 3

Thanks, cotterpin! I can definitely use the luck. I'm in my second year of a 3-4 year degree in early medieval English literature. I'm studying characterization in the Old English version of Esther, written about 1,000 years ago. I love it, it's just lots of work. I did actually manage to get some decent writing done today, so feeling good about that. :)

Ouch...my brain...but good for you doing something you love!

• Like 2

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: SET but not always ready

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

Anyone working on a PhD gets my utmost respect. There are a lot of things that sound fascinating to me but I don't think I could focus so in-depth on one topic for so long. 

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Yes, I forgot that! Good luck Schaengel!

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Official exam date 1/25. Bought a "rapid review" course that points out gaps in knowledge. I was kind of a joke, BUT I did see where I need to focus more study effort. Work let me go home early today so I could study.  The conversation went from "I don't know what if we get consults" to "your test is Monday and you work Saturday? Let me check around, ok we're ok with you going early"

• Like 4

"I don't want you to save me. I want you to stand by my side as I save myself."-unknown

Yes I'm finally free of exams :D Thanks to everyone here :) I will hang around and maybe I manage to start early on my next semester (always the goal never managed that so far ;) )

• Like 5

Points for showing up sounds great (and also is a good motivation to actually attend the lectures :)  ) same goes for the quizzes. I think that's a really good "service" from your university, would love if we had that at my university (okay we have something like that but only for the people that study social work :/ )

• Like 3

I love it that you can get points just for showing up!  The no-shows should just kick themselves.

Having taught university courses for a few years, though, I can guarantee you that there will be no-shows—and not just because they're sick. University is one of the few places where people get excited when they're told that a service they're paying for (through the nose!) has been canceled. :)

• Like 1

Group projects are the bane of my existence. Everyone please tell the universe my class needs to be 100% cancelled tomorrow. Thanks.

eta: School is closed, that's half the battle. Hooray for a city that can't handle snow! Now I just need to be sure my prof won't figure out a way for us to have class online and give our presentations. 

• Like 2

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi