Catspaw Starts Strong

catspaw

So what I'm hearing is if I somehow got Superbowl tickets I could come stay at your place and take care of your cats since you will be running away

Yes.  Maybe.  I'm not sure whether I hate the Superbowl invasion more than I like seeing StarGazer.

Why do you make me consider these difficult deep decisions?

You gotta experiment to find out what works for you.
PM me with any questions about, well, anything! :)
Current challenge: Catspaw Starts Strong

Sun, Jan 10th - Hyrule Workout

Hyrule suggests that I spend the superbowl week working from home.  "And then you can come train multiple days that week."  He makes a compelling point.

High hang snatch + mid-thigh hang snatch + below-knee hang snatch

85 x 1+1+1

85 x 1+1+1

85 x 1+1+1

85 x 1+1+1

We talk about Star Wars between sets.  Spoilerlessly, we both think there's gonna be a gay male relationship by the end of the new trilogy.  We discuss other fan theories too.  And then move onto discussing Bloodborne.

Mid-thigh hang snatch + full snatch

100 x 1+1

100 x 1+1

100 x 1+1

100 x 1+1

For some reason, these just aren't coming together today.  I'm making them, but they're not pretty.  They're herky-jerky and just don't quite feel right.  Hyrule says angles all look right, but timing is off.  Bleh.

Snatch

110 x 1 (90%) x 10-12

I miss almost half of these.  It's really annoying.  Hyrule encourages me not to get frustrated by it -- "one of those days, just shake it off."

We move onto cleans and front squats next.  "Doubles," he says.

"Okay."

"I know you're not gonna like this."

I shrug.  "I don't mind that."

He's surprised.  "Really?"

"Yeah, I mean, any weight I can clean, two front squats should be easy."

Hyrule says I'm vastly underestimating how much heavy cleans are gonna blow out my hips for the next two movements, and reminds me that my clean (160) and front squat (180) 1RMs really aren't that far apart anymore.

"We'll see," we agree.  We're gonna go up in 5 lb increments and see where we get to.

Clean + front squat doubles

135 x 1+2

140 x 1+2

145 x 1+2

150 x 1+2

155 x 1+2

Hyrule puts 160 on the bar at this point.  "Isn't that my clean 1RM?" I ask.

"Yeah I was hoping you wouldn't notice," he grins.  "Want to just jump to 165?"

"Of course I do."  These are feeling good.

165 x 1 [clean PR] + 2 (92% front squat 1RM)

Felt great.  Not grindy, not sloppy, just a good solid set.  Good way to end the day.

• Like 4

Time for a new gym logbook.  This is only my third logbook ever, they tend to last a long, long time.  Farewell previous logbook, you served me well.

Here was its first page:

upload_-1.jpg

D'awwwwwwwwww.  This was in March 2014, after 4T but before my first ruck.  It was still a loooong ways away from even meeting Hyrule.  I'm all happy about front squatting 75 lbs in its first few pages.  Adorbs!

Speaking of that Hyrule guy, since I need to work from home on Tuesday for a dentist apt, I'm gonna go see him in the afternoon, which means I'm taking tomorrow as an unscheduled rest day.

So I guess I'll have to wait a few days more before I get to use this new, shiny, empty workout logbook.

• Like 1

I looove looking at old logbooks. They're adorable. You've come so far. :D Grats on the new clean! 

Edit: I KEEP thinking about that quote. So good.

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

It's my 10th year anniversary in my apartment.  When I first got here, I was straight out of college and while waiting for my first paycheck to arrive, I had nothing.  I slept on the carpeted floor and my only piece of furniture was a lamp.  Slowly, very slowly, I furnished the place, but it was with the taste of someone a decade younger who needed to fulfill basic utilities ("I need a shelf because my books are on the floor") rather than decorating the place as a cohesive whole.

Since it's too expensive for me to move out, I've decided to upgrade my space, in celebration of my ten year rentversary.

New tables, new bed frame, new lighting, a bunch of redecoration, and a new paint job.

I'm really bad at this stuff -- I wouldn't know visual aesthetics if my life depended on it -- so I'm enlisting some help with folks I know who are better at planning this sort of thing.  It requires a certain amount of trust, but it's also fun and exciting.  I'll be sure to post plenty of before-and-after pics once we get in deep.

• Like 1

Happy 10th year!  :)

I remember the outhouse inlaw suite I had in Redwood City, CA and my first piece of furniture was a futon.  A few years later, I moved to a real apartment.  I still have trouble believing rents have tripled in the twelve years since I left.  (or doubled and I had a really sweet deal)

Enjoy your celebration!

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

That is very exciting. Can't wait to see the new digs. :)

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

New bed you say?

325_1.jpg

VROOM VROOM VROOM!!

Everyone in my friend group are huge fans of Grandma's Boy, which has a scene with a 30 year old man living at home with his parents, sleeping in this bed. When our friend moved back in with her parents after leaving her Resident Director job in her mid 20s, we found one on Craig's List and plastered pictures from our youth all over it and gave it to her. She slept in it for a year, but sadly tossed it when she got an apartment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

New year, new logbook, new clean PR, newly decorated apartment (soon)

All things shiny and new for catspaw this 2016!

Right?!

Also, since I was looking for the corresponding NF challenge for that logbook first page, I ended up finding a bunch of old NF challenges.

Here are all my titles since 2011:

• Catspaw's RUN, LIFT, EAT challenge
  • Catspaw's LIFT HEAVY THINGS challenge
  • Catspaw: An Adventurer Sets Out! ¸¸♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫¸¸ 
  • [many lost challenges from the NF-blogs era]
  • The Catspaw RAWR SMASH Challenge!
  • Catspaw's Transitional Challenge  
  • Catspaw's Quantity Counts Challenge
  • Catspaw's Lithe like a Leopardess Challenge
  • Catspaw Makes Background Progress
  • Catspaw Rises from the Ashes  
  • Catspaw's Lift Well, Eat Well, Be Well Challenge
  • Catspaw's Simple But Not Easy Challenge
  • Catspaw Has No Weaknesses
  • Catspaw Shoves Less Down Her Steak Hole
  • Catspaw Has Her Shit Together
  • Catspaw Isn't Distracted
  • Catspaw Isn't Dead
  • Catspaw Tests her Mettle
  • Catspaw Flips Her Shit
  • Catspaw Works On Her Form
  • Catspaw's Calm Before The Storm
  • Catspaw Doesn't PR
  • Catspaw's Head Is The Only Thing In Her Way 
  • Catspaw Keeps Blahblahblahing 
  • Catspaw Starts Strong <== You are here
I dunno what I learned from this list.  Except, I guess, that I like starting challenges with my own name.  It's called branding and it's so that you can find these threads.  Although I'm not sure what my brand is.  A lot of irrelevant-to-the-challenge talking?  I clearly need a better PR department.
  • Like 3

I dunno what I learned from this list.  Except, I guess, that I like starting challenges with my own name.  It's called branding and it's so that you can find these threads.  Although I'm not sure what my brand is.  A lot of irrelevant-to-the-challenge talking?  I clearly need a better PR department.

Story telling.  Epic.  Story.  Telling.

They are not irrelevant to your Challenge.  They are relevant to real life and a big part of the Challenge is real life.

Also lifting.  Very likely you have a very competitive Wilks score.

• Like 1

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Want to play?  MFPvP

I Know And It's Really Annoying To Read Lengthy Phrases That Have Capital Letters Throughout, To Say Nothing Of Entire Sentences.

Were I Less Lazy I Would Commit To Only Replying With Capitalized Phrases, However I Am Not That Committed To Providing Epileptic Seizures Via Sentence Structure. 

Current Challenge: Wufkar Stops Making Excuses

------------------------------------------------------

Story telling.  Epic.  Story.  Telling.

They are not irrelevant to your Challenge.  They are relevant to real life and a big part of the Challenge is real life.

This.  My wife has a friend that she has been on an email list with for almost 2 decades.  They've only met once.  N is brilliant and funny....and the strangest stuff happens to her ALL THE TIME.  The woman just attracts oddness somehow or other (as in people at the store stories, or alligators which follow her on her walk, or very strange neighbors).  And it is epic and uplifting.

As are you.

• Like 3

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

This.  My wife has a friend that she has been on an email list with for almost 2 decades.  They've only met once.  N is brilliant and funny....and the strangest stuff happens to her ALL THE TIME.  The woman just attracts oddness somehow or other (as in people at the store stories, or alligators which follow her on her walk, or very strange neighbors).  And it is epic and uplifting.

As are you.

D'awwwwww you're very sweet.  But don't you know that enlarged egos are very bad for Catspaws.  It says so right in the instruction manual.

Tue, Jan 12th - Hyrule Workout

Hyrule start our session laughing at a squat fail video (link hattip to Gainsdalf).  It's a good way to begin.

Snatch doubles (w/ pause mid-thigh)

95 x 2

95 x 2

95 x 2

95 x 2

Meeeeh.  These kinda sucked.  I dunno if the pause was throwing me off, or the fact that it was 4pm.  I normally lift with Hyrule in the morning, flush with caffeine in my blood, and I was feeling a little more zzzzzz.

Snatch w/ 5 sec pause in squat

110 x 10-12

Did a bunch of these.  Most were caught too high to pause in the bottom of the squat properly, and even those that were it just didn't feel like it was coming together quite right.  I was feeling self-critical but also Hyrule was being low-energy snarky: "meh, do better". 

After these we moved onto push presses.

"We're starting with 8 of them," Hyrule says.

"In a row?!?!"

"I haven't even told you what weight you're using yet!"

"A set of 8.  In a row.  Is this cardio hour?!  Are you going to feed me shot bloks between reps so I can replenish my glycogen?!"

"Yes, we're going to do blood transfusions between sets for extra red blood cells."

At least we were both feeling equally snarky.  The sets of 8 turned out to be no problem. :tongue:

Push press - every 90 secs

75 x 8

75 x 8

75 x 8

75 x 8

85 x 3

95 x 3

105 x 2

110 x 2

120 x 1

125 x F

125 x F (power jerk)

I'm really bad at push presses, in part because I never ever ever do them, but also because I'm just not that good at that part of the jerk.  So it made sense to do these, but I didn't like it.

Unfortunately, near the start some random dude comes into the gym (waiting for the crossfit class happening in a little while) and decides to come backseat coach me.

No, seriously.

I've never seen this guy before in my life, and he comes and squats down next to where I'm push pressing to get a good look at my form from the side and then starts saying things like: "ribcage down" and "push with your legs".

Fuck. Off.  Seriously.

Hyrule just ignores him, so I shoot the guy death-looks between sets and answer his suggestions with comments like "I'm good, thanks".  While Hyrule goes to fetch more plates, he tries to start up a conversation with me, and I just don't make eye contact and pretend I don't hear him.  Go away.  It's takes almost the full 15 minutes of push presses before he gets the message and leaves to go to the other side of the gym.  Aaargh.

Cleans

95 x 1

"Good," Hyrule says.

I burst out laughing.  "It wasn't good.  It was lazy."

"I know," Hyrule grins.  "I think I meant 'good' as in 'I dont want to spend any more time at this weight, lets move on' not as in 'good job'."

115 x 1

135 x 1

145 x 1 (88%)

145 x 1

145 x 1

145 x 1

145 x 1

These were easy, and in fact they got better as I went.  The last rep bounced off my shoulders at the end of the lift, I just came up out of the hole with more than enough power to spare.  Kinda wanted to jerk it, but didn't.

Underwhelming session, but probably got some good practice in.  And it's hard to complain about bonus Hyruling mid-week.

• Like 1

The weirdest part of that interaction is not his unsolicited coaching, but the fact that you already have someone there coaching you, yet he still decided to add his two cents.

Go away.

• Like 4

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

Seriously, gym-pest-be-gone spray should be a thing.

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

You did not smash him into giblets with a 45 pound bar?

Spoiler

Want to play?  MFPvP

It's my 10th year anniversary in my apartment.  When I first got here, I was straight out of college and while waiting for my first paycheck to arrive, I had nothing.  I slept on the carpeted floor and my only piece of furniture was a lamp.  Slowly, very slowly, I furnished the place, but it was with the taste of someone a decade younger who needed to fulfill basic utilities ("I need a shelf because my books are on the floor") rather than decorating the place as a cohesive whole.

Since it's too expensive for me to move out, I've decided to upgrade my space, in celebration of my ten year rentversary.

New tables, new bed frame, new lighting, a bunch of redecoration, and a new paint job.

I'm really bad at this stuff -- I wouldn't know visual aesthetics if my life depended on it -- so I'm enlisting some help with folks I know who are better at planning this sort of thing.  It requires a certain amount of trust, but it's also fun and exciting.  I'll be sure to post plenty of before-and-after pics once we get in deep.

Nice.  I remember that wait for my first paycheck well, though it would be a while before I got an apartment, at first I was a well paid homeless person that lived in hotels (was a 100% traveling employee).

We're now in our 4th wave of furnishing-decorating (14 years post-college), each one more sophisticated than the last:

Mostly hand-me downs and bargains with posters ->

Ikea and Target ->

Some DIY refinishing, nice Ikea pieces, a bit of actual furniture store furniture and some art ->

Nice vintage furniture, high end refinished stuff, some handmade pieces, a few utilitarian Ikea pieces, our own photography mixed with real art

I like to build my own furniture and remodel my own house, so decorating takes time.  Visual aesthics is one of those things that is developed, built mostly by critiquing the work of others, if only mentally, and a few basic principles like the rule of thirds, sticking to a color palette, and having a basic theme.

The Freeway:  The only thing free about it is the parking.

Ha.  Just as true here in Atlanta as in Cali.  The interstates are one big parking lot.

We switched offices and I've been able to take the train to commute instead, a truly life changing event.

• Like 1

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

We switched offices and I've been able to take the train to commute instead, a truly life changing event.

I used the metro express buses in Houston.  It was eye opening to this country "I'll just drive there" bumpkin.

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker