• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

spezzy

[archive / outdated] CHALLENGE RULES AND GUIDELINES (Updated 1/1/2016)

THIS THREAD IS OUTDATED. THE MOST RECENT CHALLENGE RULES AND GUIDELINES CAN BE FOUND HERE

_________

CHALLENGE RULES AND GUIDELINES - UPDATED JANUARY 1, 2016

Pick 3 diet and/or fitness quests quest, and one level up your life quest.

A quest is simply a goal that you'd like to complete.

These quests are completely up to you, but should be SMART (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, Timely)

We'd much prefer you create quests that are small and will help you build healthy habits than set huge quests to completely change your life all at once.

If you think the quests sound too small, they are probably the right quests

We recommend you look to see where you'd like to be in 6 months to a year, and then create small milestones that you can complete each month.

NOTE: Just starting out and need help picking your quests? The Nerd Fitness team has created a LEVEL 1 CHALLENGE that you can take and customize and use. These are the items that we suggest you use as quests if you're just starting out and have no idea what to do. YOU CAN FIND IT HERE.

Create a thread in the challenge area of the forums, declaring your quests.

The challenge forums are separated into CLASS or GUILD sections. If you're just starting out, you come in to Nerd Fitness as a REBEL. Post your challenge thread there.

Full challenge descriptions are here.

If you'd like to pick a class or guild, here are the basics and some SAMPLE activities that someone in that guild might focus on. Obviously there are many different activities - you can join the guild that you want to and thinks fits you the best. If you want to change at any time, do it! There's no formal way to join or un-join a guild other than selecting it on your own.

• REBEL - if you do not want to pick a guild, or you are new to Nerd Fitness and doing your first challenge. You can stay a Rebel as long as you want - there are many people who don't WANT to pick a guild, and that's fine. It's not necessarily a LEVEL 1 guild, though there are many LEVEL 1's in it as they have not decided on a guild yet.
  • ADVENTURER - exploration, hiking, climbing
  • ASSASSIN - bodyweight exercises, gymnastics, parkour
  • DRUID - yoga, meditation, tai chi
  • MONK - martial arts of any sort
  • SCOUT - running, swimming, biking, endurance sports
  • RANGER - crossfit, general mixed training (running AND lifting, for example)
  • WARRIOR - powerlifting, weightlifting, strongman

Update as much or as little on your progress in your thread throughout the challenge.

Part of a 4 week challenge is also participation, and encouraging your other challengers - this isn't a competition - we want everyone to do well. This isn't a requirement of the challenge - if you're a lone wolf type, that's fine! You'll be posting about your successes and struggles in your thread, and the more help and encouragement you offer others, the more you will get in return, the more accountability you'll have, and the more friends you'll make (some of my closest friends today I met doing these challenges in 2010!). That being said, we want you to be out working on your goals, not sitting on the forums all day - so there is a balance :)

At the end, grade yourself based on how you did.

We typically suggest a scale of A-F, but some people like exact percentages. Remember that the more specific and measurable your goals are at the beginning, the easier it will be to grade yourself!

OPTIONAL EPIC QUEST AND CHARACTER CREATION:
We will be releasing the ability to create your NerdFitness character, have a public character page, and create your epic quest. I will make an announcement and update this thread when it goes live. Planned is 1/4, however, our server has been under DDoS attacks since Christmas Day and though everything appears to be stabilized now, we are working to get everything up and finalized as quickly as we can.

The Epic Quest will have the ability for you to create a challenge QUEST LIST, input your challenge QUESTS, assign them XP, and when you check them off, you will earn that XP and level up. If you plan on doing this, start thinking about XP values for each one of your quests. A normal quest is 1-25XP. You level up every 100XP. You pick the XP for each quest based on it's difficulty for you. Difficulty is person independent - what could be a 5XP quest for one person may be a 25XP quest for another.

Youll have the ability to link to your public profile page (which includes your epic quest list) from your challenge. However, at that time, this is the only integration between the two systems.

We suggest you still set up your challenge as normal in the forums, and then also add your challenge as a QUEST LIST in the EPIC QUEST system. Well include instructions on how to link to your epic quest from your forum signature if youd like to do that with the release of the EPIC QUEST page on 1/4/16.

We will also update these directions on 1/4/16 linking to the Epic Quest and Character creation directions.

• Like 30

FAQ:

How do I officially sign up?

You officially sign up by creating your thread.

I'm late! Can I join? / What's the last day to join?

You can join us at any time during the challenge. We’d rather you start today than tomorrow :)

When does the next challenge start?

The first 3 challenges of 2016 are:

• Jan 4 - Jan 30

• Feb 1 - Feb 26

• Feb 29 - March 25

I'm most successful if I do X. Can I do X? It's not in the rules.

YES. These challenges are for you. The rules are really guidelines. We do however strongly suggest you stick with only four goals, as we've seen many people burn themselves out trying to do too much too quick

I'm just starting out and I have no idea what to do. What do you suggest?

We have a suggested level 1 challenge here.

What do I need to include in my first post?

Your goals, that's it! Some people choose to have more, but that's not required. A lot of people include a bit about themselves. It's completely up to you!

What about the RPG game that I've seen with stats?

We are moving away from that system as we grow Nerd Fitness and are creating a system to have a character that levels up as you check off your quests. The new NF character can be found here (will link when live!). We do not have an exact date on when new features will be added to it - if you want to continue with the old, paper RPG system or want to start it, the info is here: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/33333-real-life-role-playing-creating-your-character/

How do I pick my quests?

To create your quests, we suggest you look at where you'd like to be longer term - 6 months, 1 year, maybe even 2 years depending on how big of a quest it is.

Then break it up into smaller pieces, that can be what you complete each challenge.

Once you know what you would like to complete each challenge, figure out HOW you want to get that done. Those hows are your quests.

For example, say you are 300lbs, and you'd like to lose 100lbs to get down to 200lbs. This is a 33% decrease in total bodyweight.

We want to make realistic goals - it's realistic to lose about 1% of your bodyweight per week.

So it would be realistic to make a goal to lose a total of 4%, or 11.5lbs the first month.

Breaking that down into quests - you might do this by:

• Reduce fast food and soda consumption by 50%

• Replace daily afternoon chips with an apple

• Walk for 15 minutes every day

So those would be your quests.

Quests should always be easy to measure with a Yes, I did it or No, I didn't answer.

RESOURCES:

• Like 10

I’m late! Can I join? / What’s the last day to join?

You can join us at any time during the challenge. We’d rather you start today then tomorrow 

"than" 

Feel free to delete this post after you see it.

• Like 3

Okay I am a newbie to the message boards so How Do You Create a Thread?

In the section you'll be setting up your challenge, look on the right hand side of the page. There's a maroon/ reddish button that says "Start New Topic".

• Like 1

With the new epic quests are you able to give portion credit? Say if you grade yourself an A for a specific questions you get 25 exp. But if you credited yourself with a C you get 15 exp.

• Like 2

With the new epic quests are you able to give portion credit? Say if you grade yourself an A for a specific questions you get 25 exp. But if you credited yourself with a C you get 15 exp.

Nope! You either did it or you didn't. If you didn't complete the quest, you keep it until you do complete it.

• Like 6

Can I join the challenge, but post the progress in my battle log?

So that the challenge topic would contain the goals, and a link to the log?

Would like to have only one place to post.

There is no real clear instructions on how I can be a guild member or anything about creating one.  Is that what you are trying to post and not getting the server to cooperate?  I tend to get Lost in Forums, spaced out I have no idea where I am or was feeling looking at all this.  I am heading for the Rebel forum for this challenge this time I can figure this for the next challenge.

Can I join the challenge, but post the progress in my battle log?

So that the challenge topic would contain the goals, and a link to the log?

Would like to have only one place to post.

You can do that :) And then post a summary maybe in the battle log. Up to you!

There is no real clear instructions on how I can be a guild member or anything about creating one.  Is that what you are trying to post and not getting the server to cooperate?  I tend to get Lost in Forums, spaced out I have no idea where I am or was feeling looking at all this.  I am heading for the Rebel forum for this challenge this time I can figure this for the next challenge.

There's no official way to join or unjoin a guild - you just declare that that is what you are.

We are having server issues, yes. We're working on it!

Rebel is a great place to go if you're new :)

• Like 3

Maybe I'm being dense, but I can't find the Epic Quest page... is there a link or has it not come out yet?

Header at the top of the page says later this week. Boo on stupid DDoS attacks ruining all our fun.

• Like 4

Maybe I'm being dense, but I can't find the Epic Quest page... is there a link or has it not come out yet?

yes, we're now aiming for tomorrow. sorry for the delay :(

• Like 3

When does the next challenge start?

The first 3 challenges of 2016 are:

• Jan 4 - Jan 30

• Feb 1 - Feb 26

• Feb 29 - March 25

This says that the first challenge is until the 30th. But the title for the Current Challenge forum says Jan 29th. Which one should it be?

• Like 2

This says that the first challenge is until the 30th. But the title for the Current Challenge forum says Jan 29th. Which one should it be?

The pattern is to end on a Friday and begin the next on the following Monday, giving the weekend off.  Jan 29th is probably the correct one.

• Like 1

Hi Spezzy!

It came to my attention this afternoon that Adventurer has been left off of your first post on the different guilds. Can you please add us to the list?

Edited for a Thank You!

• Like 1

The pattern is to end on a Friday and begin the next on the following Monday, giving the weekend off.  Jan 29th is probably the correct one.

So, are we not meant to include the weekends in our challenges at all? Or is the last week shortened?

So, are we not meant to include the weekends in our challenges at all? Or is the last week shortened?

We were only speaking of the challenge end date. Every day during the challenge counts.

We were only speaking of the challenge end date. Every day during the challenge counts.

Right. But that means some goals with a "do X, Y times per week" will be cut a little short in the last week. For instance, my workday goals for this challenge. I work Saturday and Sunday, giving me only three workdays for the last week of the challenge. 

Which is fine so long as everyone is aware, but judging by the grading scales and charts I've seen, I'm not the only one who assumed four weeks was 28 days.
  • Like 2

Right. But that means some goals with a "do X, Y times per week" will be cut a little short in the last week.

Yup. If it's important to you, do your scheduled goal anyway, whether it's during official challenge dates or not.

• Like 4

Which is fine so long as everyone is aware, but judging by the grading scales and charts I've seen, I'm not the only one who assumed four weeks was 28 days.

I think it's a combination of not aware, and being used to the old length.

I wasn't aware until I made my spreadsheet and separated out the weeks.

Maybe it would be helpful to add a clear heads up in the guidelines?

• Like 1