galavant-4.gif

The theme this time around is Galavant and there will probably be some gallivanting (and possibly mayhem).  The four weeks of this challenge promise to be exciting and slightly insane what with finishing my Christmas break, moving back to school, and kicking off the new semester.  While I’m normally fairly busy, the beginnings/ends of semesters tend to be especially chaotic and stress-inducing.  Since this challenge is only four weeks long, I’m going to keep this round fairly standard and work on rebuilding and reinforcing old habits.  The themes and goals are basically the same as last time around since I still have a long way to go before I complete those goals.

The second season of Galavant is also running at the same time as this challenge, so brace yourself for knights, music, and madness.  I’ll try to minimize spoilers from the second season, but the first season is fair game.  

So, I'm like this:

tumblr_nj4kz7K3zF1u2ljxbo1_500.gif

1. Foundational Fitness

tumblr_nhui50oqIH1u7a1a5o2_r2_250.gif

I had mixed results with my training last challenge.  For the first month it was going amazingly well and then I ran into some health issues.  I visited my cardiologist last week and have been given orders to the effect of: less weights, no isometrics, be careful.  He sort of suggested lifting weights of less than 5lbs in order to achieve 'tone' (makes face).  Needless to say, I was not happy since he basically feels I should stop all bodyweight exercise and take up running/biking.  I expect that I'm going to continue with my bodyweight workouts, though I'll probably have to phase out some of the more full-body exercises and add more cardio  (i.e. no more transition planks since I know those cause problems).  Biking is apparently acceptable, so I'll be spending a lot of time on the gym's stationary bike once I get back to university.     

Challenge Goals:

• Darebee Workout a minimum of 3x a week (any workout, as long as it looks fun).
  • 30 minutes of walking/biking at least 2x a week

2. Food; Eat it

tumblr_ni37fvwlyk1s7fsoho1_500.gif

Don't light the vegetables on fire; eat them instead.  Honestly though, the holidays have done a number on the eating habits I was working on last semester.  There is quite a bit of room to improve.  Until I move back to college I have minimal control over what is being served most meals/where we eat out.  I am 100% in control of breakfast and need to do a better job with controlling what ends up on my plate during other meals.  It's amazing how much harder it is to resist temptation when I can't simply keep certain foods from ending up in the fridge.  To help my self-restraint I'm going to continue tracking my food intake in my food journal and review it nightly to look for areas to improve.  

Challenge Goal -
            Track food intake in my food journal without fail.  Hold myself accountable for my eating habits.

- 26 days possible.

3. Limit the (caffeine) Drinking 

GALAVANT.png

Challenge Goal:

- Cut caffeine by the end of Week 3.  I was making progress with this and then finals week + no sleep                                happened.  Diet soda is not healthy.  It needs to go.

4. Put the Armor on Properly - Life Goal (broken into Mini-Goals)

91214f186cfb0ce1584bfa104c602c23.jpg

Lately I've been feeling a bit hard pressed to keep up with everything and I'm tired of feeling this way.  I want to catch up on my workload and get back in control of my life.  Goals will be added as I come up with new ones.

Challenge Goals:

· Prepare the Armoury - Continue work on my Mandalorian Armor.  I had to halt progress on this during finals week and haven't been able to get much accomplished since.  There's still 2 weeks before I return to college, so I have some time to get this done.

· Find Work - Apply for a minimum of 16 internships for next summer (avg. 4 per week).  I really need an internship, preferably one that pays.  This mini-goal is a priority.

Ultimate Goal - Weight Loss

I have confirmation that we are going to Hawaii for 8-10 days this summer.  This will most likely be in August and I want to be closer to my ideal weight (currently this equals 160lbs.).  My motivation so far has been personal health, better fitting costumes, and now I can add an upcoming vacation to the list.  

Challenge Goal:

- Lose 4 pounds

Current Weight:

N/A

• Like 5

"Fairy tales are more than true not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten"  -Neil Gaiman

Mandalorian Assassin: Level 5

Current Challenge - Artemis becomes Mandalorian

Overall Weight Loss Journey: Starting Weight -     Current Weight -    Goal -160lbs

Lots going on here...following along :)

Trying to keep busy.  Hopefully I can keep up. :)

I refuse to follow this challenge, on the grounds that ha ha just kidding of course I am following this challenge.

Hi!  You need to get your thread started, so I can check it out.  

• Like 1

"Fairy tales are more than true not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten"  -Neil Gaiman

Overall Weight Loss Journey: Starting Weight -     Current Weight -    Goal -160lbs

Aww, yeah! Lookin' good!

OMG A MEDIEVAL KNIGHTS SHOW?! I must check out this Galavant show! :D I loved Merlin to death.

0090341cee0ac6210be2b19d47d95a25.gif

Merlin!  It's on my list of shows to watch, I just haven't gotten to it yet. I've heard plenty of great things about it.

Before you get too excited, I should probably warn you that Galavant is not exactly the same as Merlin.  It's essentially what happens when Monty Python and the Holy Grail is combined with The Princess Bride and then a team of Disney composers and lyricists gets control of the show and throws in some musical numbers (I think this is awesome, but not everyone agrees).  Galavant is campy and ridiculous, but it's also just about the most amazing new show I saw last year.  The team that did the music for Tangled is behind all the pieces for Galavant (and everyone knows that Alan Menken is a genius) and the music is exceptionally catchy.  I should also add that there are adult themes in the show, so beware watching it with extremely young children around.  That said, check out one of the trailers on YouTube and see what you think.  It's totally worth checking out, and the commitment is minimal since there are only 8 episodes in the first season.  The show is up on iTunes and ABC for free right now as a promo for season 2 if you want to watch it.  

Ooooh, paid internship.  Sounds dreamy.  Since that's for the summer and it's only Jan, sounds like you're on top of things!  I'm sure all the other students are like...um, later.

I'm a business student, so there are some paid internships available for my major but they're very competitive.  I've also got to get an earlier start date since the family is going to Hawaii later in the summer and I really want to go.  Hopefully, I am on top of things.   :)  We'll find out.  I know a few applications opened back in November, but most of them aren't out yet.  Cross-fingers.    

I'll finish updating my challenge sometime tomorrow.  

• Like 1

GASP! Medieval Knights? Oh I'm following!!! 

• Like 1

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

It's essentially what happens when Monty Python and the Holy Grail is combined with The Princess Bride and then a team of Disney composers and lyricists gets control of the show and throws in some musical numbers (I think this is awesome, but not everyone agrees).  Galavant is campy and ridiculous

You had me at "campy and ridiculous" Monty Python/Princess Bride hybrid.

I used Merlin only as a comparison, since that's the last show I watched with knights in it. >.<

• Like 1

GASP! Medieval Knights? Oh I'm following!!! 

tumblr_ny4pn7A1tC1tsr95ao1_500.gif

You had me at "campy and ridiculous" Monty Python/Princess Bride hybrid.

I used Merlin only as a comparison, since that's the last show I watched with knights in it. >.<

:)  I didn't mean to imply that you were making a direct comparison, so I apologize if it came off that way.  I'm with you in that any show with knights is great fun and  just wanted to let you know that Galavant might be a bit different from what most people expect.  I'm glad you think it sounds like fun! :)

• Like 1

tumblr_ny4pn7A1tC1tsr95ao1_500.gif

:)  I didn't mean to imply that you were making a direct comparison, so I apologize if it came off that way.  I'm with you in that any show with knights is great fun and  just wanted to let you know that Galavant might be a bit different from what most people expect.  I'm glad you think it sounds like fun! :)

Oh, no worries! I tend to like a lot of things that other people are like "whaaaaat?" but if that gif has anything to do with it, I will love it. 

• Like 1

If I can manage it, all of the gifs/memes/pics for this challenge will be from Galavant.  :)

Challenge finalization is coming tonight!

Ajp0GaM.gif

I am having entirely too much fun finding these gifs...

• Like 4

Oh my gawd.  These gifs are killing me!  Where can I find this Galavant?  Is it possible it is on Netflix Canada???

Edit:  Sadly not.  It appears that us poor Canadians must find some... "extremely lawful" way of watching Galavant.  *sob*

• Like 2

Level 6 Ranger

Current Challenge - Scrubs!

Previous Challenges - Theme-Free LazinessMedieval MarginaliaBrandon Sanderson's Way of Kings Theme - AgainWay of Kings 1Top Gear ThemeStargate SG:1 themeIron Druid theme!

2016 Battle Log (Long term goal tracking)

I think I'm just going to read your thread just for the gifs XD

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Oh my gawd.  These gifs are killing me!  Where can I find this Galavant?  Is it possible it is on Netflix Canada???

Edit:  Sadly not.  It appears that us poor Canadians must find some... "extremely lawful" way of watching Galavant.  *sob*

All the gifs!!  I'm having fun finding them, we'll see if I can keep it up.  Good luck with hunting down a copy of the show, I'd love to hear what you think if you manage to track it down.

I think I'm just going to read your thread just for the gifs XD

tumblr_nhw3tzmAKs1u7a1a5o2_500.gif

I'll do my best to keep it entertaining. :)

Day 1:

Fitness: Nope; will do a workout tomorrow.

Food Tracking - Complete

Caffeine - Logged

Costuming - More leatherworking and fitting.  I also talked my family into helping me build a packing tape dress form to use for vest making.  I think this will help speed things up a bit with the armor making and simplify the process.  Fitness related side bonus: it's remarkably easier to be analytical about body shape when it's not you in the mirror.  The mannequin is me, but at the same time it isn't.   In short, I'm pleasantly surprised by my current physique.  While I have a long way to go, I've made a lot more progress then I thought I had.  It might be fun to do another dress form in 6 months and put them next to each other.

• Like 5

Costuming - More leatherworking and fitting.  I also talked my family into helping me build a packing tape dress form to use for vest making.  I think this will help speed things up a bit with the armor making and simplify the process.  Fitness related side bonus: it's remarkably easier to be analytical about body shape when it's not you in the mirror.  The mannequin is me, but at the same time it isn't.   In short, I'm pleasantly surprised by my current physique.  While I have a long way to go, I've made a lot more progress then I thought I had.  It might be fun to do another dress form in 6 months and put them next to each other.

What a neat idea!  Isn't it funny how warped our perception of our own body is!

• Like 1

Level 6 Ranger

Current Challenge - Scrubs!

Previous Challenges - Theme-Free LazinessMedieval MarginaliaBrandon Sanderson's Way of Kings Theme - AgainWay of Kings 1Top Gear ThemeStargate SG:1 themeIron Druid theme!

2016 Battle Log (Long term goal tracking)

Awesome! I've been sitting on the duct tape and spare shirt to make mine, but I haven't gotten around to it. My sewing projects have piled up since December. >.<

That sounds like a fun idea to pull out of poor body image habits. :)

• Like 1

As you have all noted, body image is something that is always skewed. The mannequin/body image thing was 100% an accidental discovery, but one that I'm really happy about.

Awesome! I've been sitting on the duct tape and spare shirt to make mine, but I haven't gotten around to it. My sewing projects have piled up since December. >.<

Projects... There are always too many of them. Theoretically the dummy will make things go a bit faster (cross-fingers)

Day 2

I didn't accomplish much today except leisure time with friends.

Fitness: Nothing. A workout WILL happen tomorrow.

Food/caffeine tracking: done

-sent via iPad: apologies for any typos

• Like 3

As you have all noted, body image is something that is always skewed. The mannequin/body image thing was 100% an accidental discovery, but one that I'm really happy about.

I had the same moment recently when I realized that despite what I think I see in the mirror, every shirt I got for Christmas was a size smaller than last year, and they all fit. Also, apparently everyone else could tell I needed a smaller size. It sure feels nice.

• Like 1

Jothra

i | ii | iii | iv | v | vi | vii | viii

Yay Galavant!!!

Thank you for reminding me that it is back! 

tumblr_inline_no0hbwYmIf1sqfsm2_500.gif

And I am with you on the very limited workout options. Had a back injury flare up which means no running, no lifting, no fun. Back to mostly cardio and yoga (not complaining) (about the yoga, maybe a bit about only cardio) and some body weight. It's a struggle. 

tumblr_nifrxpSxYh1sjcg5bo4_r1_250.gif

Following along for sure! :)

• Like 1

Fallaces sunt rerum species et hominum spes fallunt.

I had the same moment recently when I realized that despite what I think I see in the mirror, every shirt I got for Christmas was a size smaller than last year, and they all fit. Also, apparently everyone else could tell I needed a smaller size. It sure feels nice.

Congrats!  It's great when other people start to realize that you're changing.  Sometimes other people see more clearly than we do.

• Like 1

Yay Galavant!!!

Thank you for reminding me that it is back! 

And I am with you on the very limited workout options. Had a back injury flare up which means no running, no lifting, no fun. Back to mostly cardio and yoga (not complaining) (about the yoga, maybe a bit about only cardio) and some body weight. It's a struggle. 

Following along for sure! :)

Galavant! Season 2 is pretty great so far.  Injuries/limitations definitely suck when there's nothing you can do about it.  Hopefully, everything will settle down and you can get back to all your normal routines.  At this point, I doubt I'll be cleared for weightlifting until after surgery.  Not happy about it, but it is what it is.  No point whining, I just have to learn my way around the new rules.

Nice gifs!

• Like 2

Today was great as far as activities goes.  I had breakfast with one friend, and then met up with another friend in the afternoon.  The two of us went out to lunch, saw TFA (again), and then played a few rounds of pool back at my house.  While I'm very happy to visit with everyone, my food choices definitely suffered as a result and I'm going to have to develop 'battle plans' for eating out with friends. 

For anyone who hasn't seen Star Wars, or who has only seen it once, it is 1000% better the second viewing (and it was already good the first time).  Go SEE it.

Day 3

Fitness - I dug out my bokken for one of Darebee's Samurai katana workouts.  I've done the same workout the last few times and am definitely improving in speed and economy of movement.  This probably means that it is time to change it up a bit and add another katana workout to my repertoire.     

Food/caffeine tracking - Done.  Terrible food choices. Less caffeine than yesterday.

• Like 4