Galavant! Season 2 is pretty great so far.  Injuries/limitations definitely suck when there's nothing you can do about it.  Hopefully, everything will settle down and you can get back to all your normal routines.  At this point, I doubt I'll be cleared for weightlifting until after surgery.  Not happy about it, but it is what it is.  No point whining, I just have to learn my way around the new rules.

Nice gifs!

True - whinging doesn't get us dem gainz. 

And thank you - thought I'd join in on the party!

• Like 2

Fallaces sunt rerum species et hominum spes fallunt.

Day 4 (yesterday)

Fitness - no workouts

Food/caffeine tracking - Done.  Food choices still need improvement, but I only had a small bit of caffeine.

Day 5

Fitness - More bokken work planned for later this evening, I'll update tomorrow with whether I followed through or not.

Food/caffeine tracking - done

The last couple of days have been relatively unproductive outside of catching up with friends.  I've been trying very hard to get things done and yet I feel as though I'm achieving very little.  

Kind of like this:

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

It's probably just in my head, however it's still very frustrating.  I think part of the problem is that I've been spending quite a bit of time visiting with people, attending appointments, and doing things of that nature.  That's great and everything (and it's stuff I need to do), but I'm not making much progress on my other to do lists and I think it's making me feel unproductive.  I'll see how tomorrow goes before I start moving my schedule around.

• Like 3

"Fairy tales are more than true not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten"  -Neil Gaiman

Mandalorian Assassin: Level 5

Current Challenge - Artemis becomes Mandalorian

Overall Weight Loss Journey: Starting Weight -     Current Weight -    Goal -160lbs

The first step is admitting the problem. Or at the very least, recognizing where you might need to make some changes.

• Like 1

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

The first step is admitting the problem. Or at the very least, recognizing where you might need to make some changes.

Yep!  Lots of thinking over the last week and things are definitely going to be changing as a result.

How is it going??? 

I finally got to watch the first episode of Galavant!! I was practically crying out of laughter. 

The second season is hilarious so far!  I tried to respond to this the other day, but then Disney + packing + flying back to school happened and free time disappeared.  Anyways, I'm finally posting and I'm going to commit to posting at least every other day from here on out.

Things are good now, though it was a rough week.  More an emotional roller coaster than anything else.  I had been experiencing that feeling of helplessness quite often at school and wasn't really expecting to encounter that over break. It was very frustrating and led to quite a bit of thinking, which led to a deeper level of contemplation and eventually the idea tired to do much else and I don't feel I've made much progress towards what I wanted when I entered college.  Feeling like I don't have a direction to my life sucks and feeling as though I have been unintentionally deviating from my desired path for the last two years is even worse.
     I've distracted myself/found happiness in other activities (I.e. Costuming) and it's helped alleviate the frustration. However, this was only a temporary emotional fix and in reality was only compounding the problem. While I was having fun and alleviating the stress that school causes I still wasn't spending time on my goals.  
     Over break I was doing things I should do, and enjoy doing, but I wasn't making progress on the things that need to be done.  I've come to the distressing realization that I have been doing this for quite some time.  I need to refocus my life on the things that I really want to achieve, stop being terrified, and just do it.

I had a similar fitness-related realization a few months ago, and while progress has been slow and scattered, I have made progress because I am committed to doing so. It's not quick, but it's happening.  It's time to take similar steps in the rest of my life.  This probably means the next challenge will be more focused on fixing some of these issues and less focused on fitness.  I'm thinking of starting a Whole 30 in a week or two and making that the largest/only graded fitness aspect of the next challenge.

Here we go with the current 2016 Large Goals List:
-start a small business (even if I only sell 1 thing.  Do SOMETHING).  Plan in progress
-Lose 30 pounds by June 1st, 2016 (vacation is coming, and I shall be ready)
-Obtain a summer internship
-Find Friends in college - I don't have many real friends at my university and this is my fault.  I'm not great at reaching out to people and find making new friends difficult.  Plan of attack - get more involved (currently registered for at least one fun class and horseback riding).  Explore fitting the fencing club, or something similar, into my schedule this semester.

Immediate mini-goal list:
-Clean my apartment
-unpack
-organize textbooks
-finalize schedule/classes
-build master calendar
-finalize resume
-Submit ALL the internship applications
-Optimize room (posters, organize power strips, etc.).  Do the things that make a place feel like home.  I never did this last semester and I don't think it really helped my emotional state.

Costume:
I'm putting this in a sort of limbo for now as I haven't made as much progress as I was hoping, and I need to refocus my life.  The current plan is to finish some of the parts that won't be affected by weight loss later this semester, and then to finish the costume over the summer.  Since TFA is out, there's no rush and I want to do this properly and remain unstressed.  
Parts list for this semester:
-Helmet
-Gauntlets
-Boot armor
-Shoulders
-Belt rig/holsters
-Weapons

Fitness: 
Things are going well, I've been hitting most of my goals (missed one workout both weeks), but have some room to step it up.  The bokken didn't fit in my luggage, so I brought my escrima sticks.  They don't have the weight or length of the bokken, but they'll work.  As to why I have a small weapons collection, I did karate when I was younger.  It's been a few years, but I kept most of my gear and it's turning out to be useful.

I am going to go be heroic now! :)
rs_634x1024-140508205640-634.Galavant-Jo
  • Like 2

"Fairy tales are more than true not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten"  -Neil Gaiman

Overall Weight Loss Journey: Starting Weight -     Current Weight -    Goal -160lbs

Good luck on your Whole30! I'll definitely be along for that ride for support. :)

Thanks! Advice/recipies would be greatly appreciated.  :)  I'm planning to order some groceries tomorrow, though I probably won't commit to a Whole 30 until next weekend or so.  Going into one without enough planning seems like a terrible idea...

The first week of the semester is over (and I'm still alive)!!!  I've got a fairly low key weekend as far as homework goes, so I'm going to start on some of those mini goals.  Top of the list is unpacking, ordering groceries, and cleaning the apartment.  It's snowing full blast here which means outside activity is somewhat limied, but I'm going to try to get to the gym this weekend for a bit of biking in addition to some of my other workouts.

• Like 1

Congrats on surviving the first week of the semester! I know how tough those can be!

• Like 1

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

Congrats on surviving the first week of the semester! I know how tough those can be!

:)

It's been a fairly slow weekend.  To be honest, I was mostly sleeping to recover from the lack of sleep throughout the week.  I did get my groceries in and did some cooking yesterday.  I made two batches of the crockpot paleo chili I love; one to make for this week, and one to freeze for later.  That breaks down to 6 whole 30 meals a batch, so it was a fairly productive cooking day.  I also have other groceries stashed away that are whole 30 compliant.  I don't have an official start date yet, but I'm gearing up for 30 days of really clean eating.  If anyone has whole 30 crockpot recipes/freezer prep meal ideas, I'd love to hear about them.  

The goal of my upcoming Whole 30 is to defeat these urges:

giphy.gif

• Like 3

Wow, 30 days of Crockpot eating, that sounds tough, try to ease yourself into it, have plenty of back-up meals just incase the crockpot doesn't cook or you've forgotten to set it, etc.

• Like 2

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler

Yay riding! :) Is that an actual class at your school? That's awesome. I rode competitively for 16 years but haven't been on a horse seriously for over 5 and am trying to desperately figure out how to get back into it. 

Wow. A Whole 30? That's quite the challenge and I wish you luck!! :) I am sure you'll do great!

• Like 2

Fallaces sunt rerum species et hominum spes fallunt.

It's been a fairly slow weekend.  To be honest, I was mostly sleeping to recover from the lack of sleep throughout the week.  I did get my groceries in and did some cooking yesterday.  I made two batches of the crockpot paleo chili I love; one to make for this week, and one to freeze for later.  That breaks down to 6 whole 30 meals a batch, so it was a fairly productive cooking day.  I also have other groceries stashed away that are whole 30 compliant.  I don't have an official start date yet, but I'm gearing up for 30 days of really clean eating.  If anyone has whole 30 crockpot recipes/freezer prep meal ideas, I'd love to hear about them.  

The goal of my upcoming Whole 30 is to defeat these urges:

giphy.gif

That's a terrifying image.

Sounds like you're about ready to start. Good luck! I've gone back through some blogs that I really like the recipes for, and here are a good collection of crock pot recipes to give a try. 

http://meatified.com/whole-30-slow-cooker-recipes/

http://whole30.com/2015/09/freezer-cooking-3/

http://www.rubiesandradishes.com/2014/01/21/30-whole-30-friendly-slow-cooker-recipes/

Meatified is a GREAT Whole30 resource (that I keep forgetting about).

• Like 2

Wow, 30 days of Crockpot eating, that sounds tough, try to ease yourself into it, have plenty of back-up meals just incase the crockpot doesn't cook or you've forgotten to set it, etc.

The crockpot is mostly so that I can cook in bulk and don't have to actively monitor the process. I'm planning to store up a bunch of frozen meals to toss in the crockpot when I have time. Backup meals are a must, though I don't have a definitive plan for those yet.

Yay riding! :) Is that an actual class at your school? That's awesome. I rode competitively for 16 years but haven't been on a horse seriously for over 5 and am trying to desperately figure out how to get back into it. 

Wow. A Whole 30? That's quite the challenge and I wish you luck!! :) I am sure you'll do great!

Horseback riding is an elective class. The University coordinates the lessons through the local stables for the same price as lessons directly through the stables. Going throigh the university was easier for me since I don't have transport if I'm on my own.

I've been on a horse before and took a few lessons/attended camp when I was younger. It's been awhile though, so I'm starting with the begginer class to build the groundwork again. We start this Friday and meet once a week for 10 weeks.

The Whole 30 will be tough, but I'm betting it will be worth it.

That's a terrifying image.

Sounds like you're about ready to start. Good luck! I've gone back through some blogs that I really like the recipes for, and here are a good collection of crock pot recipes to give a try. 

http://meatified.com/whole-30-slow-cooker-recipes/

http://whole30.com/2015/09/freezer-cooking-3/

http://www.rubiesandradishes.com/2014/01/21/30-whole-30-friendly-slow-cooker-recipes/

Meatified is a GREAT Whole30 resource (that I keep forgetting about).

I'm nearly ready to start. I still have to come up with a plan for eating in the dining hall and figure out my portable lunches. Thanks for the recipes! I'm going to dig through those tonight and pick a few to prep this weekend.

That GIF has a dangling participle in it, but I like it anyway.

It's one of the only images I could find that was Galavant/food related. It's scary and yet really hilarious in context.
  • Like 1

It's been a good week.  Lots of school work, lots of progress.  Challenge update coming tomorrow, but for now.... bed.

Also, horseback riding started today.  We didn't get to do any actual riding; just tacked up and then took everything off again. Real riding next week.  Obligatory kind-of-related gif:

GALAVANT-DEAREST-GEEKS-OF-EARTH-10.gif

• Like 4

Here's the update:

Fitness - C

-Goal: 3 workouts a week. Result - Averaged 2 workouts a week

-Goal bike/walk for 30 min 2x weekly. Result: I did this about once a week.

Food - A-

-Goal: Track food intake

-Result: 23/26. Fairly good

Caffeine - A

-Goal: eliminate by the end of week 3

-Result: Accomplished! I admit to having caffeine the other night but it was because I wanted it, not because I needed it. I have successfully defeated my reliance on caffeine.

Other - B-

-Goal: Progress on Mandalorian Armor

-Result: project temporarily sidelined/dialed down due to real life. I overestimated my ability to speed build and the amount of freetime I had. I've dialed it down to lower my stress levels. New deadline: end of summer (August ish). This gives me more time to really pour into the project and make it truly great.

-Goal: Internship applications (16)

-Result: Yeah, I was definitely overly ambitious on this one. I did finish my resume overhaul and have started applying to a few. Since the resume is done, things are going much more quickly, however it's still slower than I would like.

Upcoming. I'm going to try to get my next challenge thread launched tonight (theme TBA) and I just kicked off a Whole 30 this morning.

-Done on an iphone, sorry for any legibility issues.

• Like 3

GALAVANT-DEAREST-GEEKS-OF-EARTH-10.gif

I have a feeling that'd be me attempting to look cool jumping on a horse.

• Like 1

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler

New challenge is up! I'm in the middle of refining/editing and wanted to get something up.  Hopefully I'll have time to visit everyone else's challenges soon. 

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/78156-artemis-is-a-kind-of-disney-princess/

• Like 1