Megan's Monthly Mayhem

JanuaryMeaningAndSymbolism.jpg

Oh my goodness, I am so excited for this new challenge format and the possibilities!

Welcome to Megan's Monthly Mayhem

Every month (at least as long as people are interested), I will have a monthly accountability challenge, with optional, additional, mini-type challenges. Some will be exercise based, some will be mental health based, some will be group challenges. So, without further ado, January is:

International Change Your Stars Month

We all have bad habits, or negative thoughts, or just...things bringing us down. So we are going to spend January changing our stars. Let's get rid of negativity, think positively, and stay motivated.

Interested in joining? Just follow along. Every few days, I'll add a small challenge - either for the week or the day to take part in.

• Like 3

Oh man I am so in for this one. So in. 

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Thanks for joining! Here's your prize: a super special before the challenge starts, get your mindset mini!

Today is: National Fruitcake Toss Day

But I'm not talking about this:

fruitcake-in-therapy-515x640.jpg

I'm talking about the other definition of fruitcake. You know, the gift (advice) that no one wants to get, but you need to hear? That one.

What advice or statements have been made to you about your weight or fitness level that have stayed with you? Why did it resonate?  How does it make you feel? Now, what can you do to get rid of the negative connotation of those words? 

• Like 1

I'm in!

My mom asked if I'd considered lap band surgery. 

It's stayed with me as I don't consider myself to be fat enough to even consider it. But the look on my mom's face makes it seem like apparently I am.

A lot of the time with my mom I have to remember that she's coming from a place of love - she wants me to be healthy.

It hurts because it feels like my mom is constantly putting me down. She's not, but when she says stuff like that it really hurts. If she wants to help me lose fat I wish she'd stop offering me cake and sandwiches and making them/bringing them home. I know I've got to learn to control my impulses but she doesn't make it very easy.

• Like 2

Level 1 Adventurer

Quest for Adventure

Took the road less traveled. Now lost.

A few years ago, I got mistaken for my husband's ex-wife - from behind.

Here's the thing, I might have weighed the same as her, but I'm a good 6 inches taller. The person who got confused didn't know that it was his ex-wife, just that a woman....with my butt / hips, was looking at the house across the street from her. It really resonated with me as, while I really have a skewed body image, I didn't realize how ...complacent I had become.

This single incident started me on my current journey which eventually led me here.

That being said, I need to let it go. My journey to fitness isn't about comparing me to any one person, but rather being better than I was. 

• Like 1

I had this tab open all day yesterday and couldn't think of anything. There's nothing super negative that resonates with me, surprisingly. Maybe I just ignore people well. 

That said, when I was moving last year my mother said something that stuck with me. I was talking about how I expected to eat better and lose weight because I'd be cooking for myself instead of eating whatever she made at home and that being on my own would be good. Or something. Grand plans and all. And she said something about how when I came back from Jordan she almost didn't recognize me at the airport because I'd lost weight (so much walking and so much healthier food) and I looked happy. And that's the part that I can't let go of. It kind of reinforced how completely miserable I've been the past few years and how I need to get back in control of my life. I'm still weighing myself now and I clearly know I have weight to lose, but from now on I'm going to focus on changing my lifestyle not because it's unhealthy or because I want to lose weight, but because I know that eating vegetables and going for a run makes me happy. Sitting on my ass eating junk food is easier, but definitely not happier. 

Woo. There it is. Go team!

• Like 3

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

I can't think of anything negative that has stuck with me either. I can think of a few comments that have made me self-conscious about my weight, but none that I particularly need to overcome. I found out earlier this year that my cholesterol was scary high, and my doc said it was probably genetic given my age, so she wanted to put me on meds. I wasn't into that idea, so I finally found the motivation I needed to clean up my eating. She didn't think I could do anything on my own, which annoyed me, so I proved her wrong. 

This year, several people have told me that I look good and fit, and those are things that have stayed with me really positively. While I was home for the holidays, my mom even said "you're looking buff!" That felt amazing. When I was younger, people would praise me on occasion for carrying heavy things, which became a source of pride for me. 

A friend I had in high school said something to me in gym class that really resonates with me to this day. I always struggled with mile runs, and commented that I wasn't very athletic. She (a member of the soccer team) looked at me and said something along the lines of "What makes somebody athletic? You're totally athletic. You come in here and lift weights and get stronger when a lot of the other kids slack off. " That entirely shifted how I thought of myself. I'm very uncoordinated and bad at sports, but I work hard to improve myself, and enjoy getting stronger for the sake of getting stronger. The idea that I - who had always been clumsy and slow - can actually be athletic is very important to me. 

• Like 4

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 49

2022 challenges:  49 (current)

2015-2021 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | | 46 | 4748 ||

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

Totally love you gals!

This week is....

Diet Resolution Week

dear_diet.jpg

This year, let's resolve not to diet, but rather to focus on healthy eating and sustainable lifestyle changes.

This week, focus on one aspect of your eating habits which needs a make over. Are you drinking enough water? Eating too many sweet treats? Inhaling a bag of chips? Every day, make a conscious change - either to add in more veggies, substitute fruit for a sugary treat, or to drink 8 glasses of water a day. 

• Like 2

I'd love to join in!

My eating habits are really not what they could be.  A big part of it is that until I turned 30 or so, I was just fairly skinny without trying.  Good genetics, I guess.  However, the last few years I've been creeping up in clothing size.  When I finally checked a scale and weighed 173, I knew something had to change.  

So far I've given up sodas, stopped keeping sweets around the house, reduced my pasta/ bread intake, and started recording my food in MyFitnessPal.  I've been very good at keeping it below 1700, a number set to help me lose 1/2 pound a week before exercise.

However, I still have a lot of stuff I can do to improve my diet....its just hard to do too much at once.  It's easy to get overwhelmed or feel like I need to eat junk.

Things I can improve:

Moooore water!   That's one of my quests this challenge.  3qts a day

Trying (and eating) more veggies.  I've always been picky and need to move beyond spinach salads.  I want to try spaghetti squash this month; maybe scratch that pasta itch in a healthier way.

Decrease my carbs from grains.   Bread/ rice/ pasta is just so darn good.  Maybe I need to develop a taste for beans.

• Like 2

Perpugiliam- Gnome Ranger.  

Insert witty quote here

80%
80%

Weight loss 173 to 148  current 153

75%
75%

Benchpress 100 lbs

My main problem is definitely snacking. If there is cereal or any sorts of bread/crisps/snacks in the house, it will be consumed when I get home. Generally enough to be a meal. However, this happens at 4pm, so by 7/8 I'm hungry again. This means that I have 4 meals instead of 3, which really isn't what I'm supposed to be doing, and one of these meals is definitely not Paleo. At the beginning of last year, I managed to loose a visible amount of weight from simply not having cereal in the house, and I didn't snack on it. People coming around and my dad then buying the cereal for them derailed that plan. So, getting rid of the cereal in the house and trying again.

• Like 3

Panda  

Hobbit | Drifter | Level 3

STR 6 | DEX 5 | STA 2 | CON 5 | WIS 7 | CHA 2

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Training | Challenge 1 2 3 4 | Epic Quest

I am always up for a little more mayhem in my life!  

Honestly this week I do not want to see another sweet or soda.  Had a bit too much fun between my birthday (Dec. 5) and our anniversary (Jan. 1) that I need to drop the sugar outright and get back to my normal eating routine.

• Like 2

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

One thing that helped me lose weight earlier this year was not eating after 8pm. These days I do Aikido on Monday and Thursday nights and don't get home until after 8pm. I don't think I eat too much after 8pm even now that I'm not as strict about it, but I think it affects my digestion and energy levels too somehow.

This week I'll eat my dinner before Aikido and see how it goes. It's not always good to be too full before class, but it's worth attempting. 

• Like 3

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 49

2022 challenges:  49 (current)

2015-2021 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | | 46 | 4748 ||

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

Water goal for me! I normally crush it but I've been seriously slacking this past week and I can feel the difference. (Plus there are no snacks in my house because I've been too lazy to go shopping. Oops.)

• Like 3

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Diet is a part of my challenge already :) To take in home packed lunches to work (which are generally healthy already) and to drop my Pepsi Max intake. 

Water isn't too bad for me, I tend to drink a lot anyway.

Probably minor snacks are my problem.

Okay, no minor snacking. I have a muesli bar in my bag if I'm definitely hungry but I can't snack on the small choccies that are at work or anything else.

Saturday/Sunday I can share in something if others are eating but no minor snacking on my own.

• Like 4

Level 1 Adventurer

Quest for Adventure

When I am on the road, my diet is fairly healthy, so my focus for this week (I probably should have timed this better as it was my idea - but I didn't think that far ahead) is going to be updating my food journal (or Fitbit app). I am pretty sure I am suffering from a case of "this is good for me, I'm going to stuff it in my face"-itis.

Also, limiting sweet treats. My nightly ritual is a cup of tea and four squares of dark chocolate. That will be the only non-natural sugar I am going to consume this week.

• Like 3

Mind if I join? Is there a sign up sheet?

As far as getting "fruitcake" without asking or wanting it, I have received a lot of those. A lot of them negative, and then the positive came when I lost weight.

Biggest ones that have stuck with me were from my mom, and my sister. But it wasn't really advice that said, "I love you and I want you to be healthy." It was more, "You are fat, you made yourself that way, so stop crying and suck it up. You do something about it. We don't care, it's your problem so don't expect any help." I kid you not, I even asked my mom for help losing weight and she told me that I'm old enough to control what goes into my mouth. But it all stuck with me, and it did drive me to work really hard to do my best in eating better, along with working out like a maniac. 

I ended up getting compliments of how much better I looked, and how much happier I seemed. Some time later I ended up losing more weight (total weight loss 90 pounds) and was told by my uncle that I looked prettier, and I didn't have a butt face anymore. I really liked being told I looked more better.

I've taken on three obstacle races! And I'm hoping to do another soon because I'm addicted to them :)

As far as diet, I need to eat more. I have a eating disorder and I'm pregnant, so it's important I eat the right things and plenty of it. The eating disorder didn't happen because of my pursuit of losing weight. It was started thanks to a series of events that have mentally scarred me. 

So eating more, and writing it in my journal. Drinking more water (which is part of my goals), and eating more veggies. 

• Like 4

I'm in.  I always love the challenges.

• Like 2

Lycansbane (NF CHaracter)

1st | 1st redo | 2nd | 3rd

"Pain is for the living. Only the dead don't feel it." ~ Jim Butcher

"They live lives that don't matter, that touch no one and change nothing. For better or worse, you and I stared evil in the eye and didn't flinch. We raised our swords and went to war, and even if we didn't win we kicked some ass along the way. We made a difference, and that's all any man can ask." ~ Simon Green

Argh...kiddo offered me some candy yesterday after dinner.  It was one of those little pieces.  I ended up eating one.  She offered more of those little wrapped temptations.  I ate the first without thinking but resisted the offer later that night.  I was not thinking at all on that first one and said sure out of habit.

• Like 1

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

Argh...kiddo offered me some candy yesterday after dinner.  It was one of those little pieces.  I ended up eating one.  She offered more of those little wrapped temptations.  I ate the first without thinking but resisted the offer later that night.  I was not thinking at all on that first one and said sure out of habit.

Good work on resisting the rest! It's scary what we end up doing on autopilot sometimes.

I resisted the choccies in the bowl at work yesterday. Then someone handed me a half glass of soda which I accepted without thinking. Luckily I remembered before I drank any and just tipped it down the sink.

I also didn't have any trifle at home yesterday :o

• Like 4

Level 1 Adventurer

Quest for Adventure

Excellent job!  You even had it in your hand and remembered in time to dump it out.  I am so excited for you!

• Like 2

For people quitting soda: stay strong! You will get to a point where soda just makes you feel icky - promise!

I've successfully not fallen into the cookies in the executive lounge trap every night so far. Sticking to my favorite chocolate to beat the nightly sugar temptation (it's about 100 calories for the portion I eat, so it's not like the 600 calorie cookies they keep in the lounge).

I've also started tracking again on Fitbit. As long as I stick to my "normal" meals, I'm fine - I just need to make sure I stick to what I know works. 

• Like 2

For people quitting soda: stay strong! You will get to a point where soda just makes you feel icky - promise!

Thiiiiis! You got this, friends! 

I forgot to keep track of my water yesterday. Can't remember if I had 2 bottles of water or 3. :( Definitely hit it today though. All the hydration! woo!

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi