tinkerer runs toward the mountains, Part 2

tinkerer

With the new challenge and guild guidelines, I'm shouldering my backpack and heading to the Adventurers for this challenge. For those whom I haven't met, here is a bit of an introduction.

I'm tinkerer. I love to make things for our house, fix cars, and weld. I can figure out how most things work and enjoy trying to fix broken items. Over the last five years, I've been drawn in to mountaineering. In an odd cycle, fitness is what got me into mountaineering and now mountaineering is what motivates me to work out. I enjoy all of the individual elements of mountaineering separately as well: hiking, rock climbing, backpacking, snowshoeing, etc.

I posted an Epic Quest on my last birthday for the next year. That quest is here. Some of my goals include climbing certain mountains, spending time with Dad, and getting outdoors more.

For the last six week challenge, I embarked on a mountaineering training program based on the book "Training for the New Alpinism". My overall goals are to improve my aerobic fitness and strength for climbing in a rock climbing sense. This week (the week of December 27) is the first week of my "Base Building" section of the training plan which involves working on building max strength while continuing aerobic training.

For this rotation of my workout plan, I've selected four exercises. I'll add weight as needed to keep reps below 5 per set. Those exercises are Pullups, Shrimp Squats, Dips, and Pistol Squats. In addition to strength training, I need to carve out about 4 hours for aerobic training. Some of this training should be on "steep terrain" which probably means going to our local mountain after work. I've patterned my goals around hitting these achievements for the next four weeks.

Quest 1: Strength Training Twice per Week
I will do two training sessions each week. Each session will consist of a core workout (literally, workout targeting core muscles) and strength training for each of my four exercises. I'll be using a weight belt to keep the reps I can do below 5 per set.

Quest 2: Outdoor Training once per Week
Once per week, I will seek out a steep trail to climb. The climb should last around an hour and be as sustained as possible. My target heartrrate for this goal is 80% of my max or 151 BPM. If I'm going with friends, this may mean I need to include weight in my pack.

Quest 3: Aerobic Work
Through other runs (also outside), I will make up the needed bulk of aerobic training. The time goal varies from week to week. For this goal my target HR is <145 BPM.

Week 1 - 2:45
Week 2 - 3:00
Week 3 - 3:15
Week 4 - 2:15

Quest 4: Bathroom Remodel
This one is pretty straightforward - I will finish all of the little things on our bathroom remodel to where the project can be called "complete".

My side goal will me to punctuate the updates on this challenge with fun pictures from adventures. Progress will be tracked in my google spreadsheet for such things. Here is a picture from my New Year's Day solo hike.

IMAG0860_zps0td0r08v.jpg
  • Like 4

tinkerer
Level 14 Elven Blacksmith

current challenge - yearlong quest

14 13 12 11 10 9.1 9.0 8 7 6 5 4,2 4.1 4.0 3 2 1

good luck!

Level: 15 Race: Human Class: Adventurer (Sailor Senshi/Aes Sedai)

STR: 14    DEX: 12    STA: 16   CON: 28   WIS: 26    CHA: 15 

(unspent points: 6? challenges worth)

Weight Loss Progress (SW 12/5/15 272)

Mini-Goal: Get back down to my low 152.2 - SW 6/1/17 170.4 - CW 6/10/17: 166.6

regained the last few months - back on track losing in June

My Battle Log|My NF Character Sheet

Challenges:

1/16-2/16-3/16-4/16-5/16-6/16-7/16-8/16-9/16-11/16-12/16-1/17-2/17-

I thought I'd check out your challenge since you mentioned climbing when you visited.  Truly having a sport that requires a certain level of fitness is a great motivator.  I know if I'm not flexible, wt low, and have general strength, kayak season will not be all it could be.  Rolling a kayak in rapids takes technique, but w/o  a decent level of stamina to go with it, I won't even try certain rapids.  I went rock climbing twice.  Thats another sport you want to be on your game.  I've always wanted to mountain climb, but for me it would have to be easy stuff.  I love the cold, the snow, and heights.  Just helping pack stuff to a base camp of a real mountain would be cool with me.

Current Challenge 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Diet is 80% of losing weight, exercise is 80% of motivation.

The only thing I am 100% sure of is my ability to be wrong.

Week 0 Day 6

This week is going along pretty well. Today I checked off the second strength workout for the week. Nothing too terribly exciting to report, other than I'm still enjoying the strength training.

Tomorrow, we're going on a hike with some friends which should make up the remaining aerobic time.

I thought I'd check out your challenge since you mentioned climbing when you visited.  Truly having a sport that requires a certain level of fitness is a great motivator.  I know if I'm not flexible, wt low, and have general strength, kayak season will not be all it could be.  Rolling a kayak in rapids takes technique, but w/o  a decent level of stamina to go with it, I won't even try certain rapids.  I went rock climbing twice.  Thats another sport you want to be on your game.  I've always wanted to mountain climb, but for me it would have to be easy stuff.  I love the cold, the snow, and heights.  Just helping pack stuff to a base camp of a real mountain would be cool with me.

Thanks for stopping by! Mountain climbing is a fairly scalable sport. If you love snow, cold, and heights there would be many, many great peaks to climb.

good luck!

Thanks!

Beautiful view you snapped there - how long will you have snow for?

Have a good base building challenge!!!  The mountains are clearly calling to you.

I'm hoping the snow sticks around for a couple of months. In a normal winter, that is what would happen. Last year we didn't get anywhere near enough snow and the forests were extremely dry and fire-prone.

Gorgeous pic.

Happy challenge!

Thanks! I'm hoping to collect a few more.

Aawww, I miss snow :( But lovely pic anyway and any chance of seeing some of the bathroom remodel?  My SO and I are remodelling our house as well so my DIY bug is buzzing around my head like mad looking for ideas.

Definitely! I'll try to assemble a few to show what we've been up to.

• Like 1

tinkerer

Lovely picture, kindly keep the snow there with you as I do not want or need any :D

I do have some serious spreadsheet envy however...

• Like 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for...

Current: RES: CUTE Moves

Spoiler

Magickal, Eclectic, Goddess, Level 63

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|61|62|63|64|65|66|67|

|My Character Page | Tracking Spreadsheet |

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

Aawww, I miss snow :( But lovely pic anyway and any chance of seeing some of the bathroom remodel?  My SO and I are remodelling our house as well so my DIY bug is buzzing around my head like mad looking for ideas.

OK, here is the long bathroom remodel post.

We had a few things we wanted to fix. The first was that there was a dropped ceiling over the tub which made it feel like a cave. Also, the tub had never had waterproofing put around it (just plaster) which made the shower essentially unusable. Also, the plumbing was aging galvanized pipe which needed to be replaced. Aaand the primary driver - the bathroom had been carpeted for years and the flooring needed to be replaced.

I wish we had more demo pictures (they are somewhere) but here is the ceiling being patched.

IMAG0767_zpsfv1gqw40.jpg

We put in a ventilation fan and patched up the ceiling:

IMAG0849_zpshilbhski.jpg

You can see in the back of the shower, we also cut down the wall so that more light would make it into the shower.

IMAG0874_zpskj3ffaeh.jpg

The finished shower is pretty well done and there isn't much remaining to be done. Someday, we'll add a nice glass shower door but for now we have a homemade industrial esque conduit curtain rod.

IMAG0871_zpsx05kvsdt.jpg

We were able to reuse the existing hardware in the shower which appealed to our sense of fixing up quality things.

IMAG0774_zps81il6oqo.jpg

Replacing the pipes involved some creative cutting and draining

IMAG0794_zpsfhktghtu.jpgIMAG0847_zpsrkonmgci.jpg

These shelves used to be open into the kitchen panty (I have no idea why). We built these narrow shelves to store things on and also just to close the weird connection up.

IMAG0873_zps8jvuchbz.jpg

We put in a new sink and vanity. The light over the vanity also was raised up about six inches.

IMAG0872_zpsekpdgymn.jpg

As you can see from the masking tape, the missing knobs on the vanity, and the primer on the window we still have a few things to finish up. By and large though, it's really exciting to see where we have come. It was fun to put this montage together and see the differences from a few months ago (well probably longer than it should have been).

• Like 3

tinkerer

Week 0 Day 7: Hiking

We went hiking with friends (and a new friend!) in the snow. It was a really fun time in the woods.

8.4 miles in 3:51. Average HR 123.

IMAG0863_zpsj9g8gc8z.jpg

We also saw some wildlife. It is the rare species "pixelated deer"

IMAG0866_zpsdvddyeut.jpg

On to the "real" challenge tomorrow. Also, sadly, back to work.

• Like 2

tinkerer

We're headed rock climbing tonight. I'm not sure exactly where that fits into my workout goals for the challenge so it might just be "for fun". That seems unfair but at least I can put it in my spreadsheet. :)

Looks very detailed and organized.  I think you'll kill it.  :)

Thanks!

Lovely picture, kindly keep the snow there with you as I do not want or need any :D

I do have some serious spreadsheet envy however...

Deal. If any snow heads your way please reroute it here!

Feel free to copy the spreadsheet and use it for your own purposes. If you develop something cool let me know and maybe I'll steal it from you.

Holy smokes!  That picture!  Now I need to know where you live!

I'm in North Idaho. Please don't tell the world how beautiful it is; I enjoy the peace and quiet.

• Like 1

tinkerer

We're headed rock climbing tonight. I'm not sure exactly where that fits into my workout goals for the challenge so it might just be "for fun". That seems unfair but at least I can put it in my spreadsheet. :)

Thanks!

Deal. If any snow heads your way please reroute it here!

Feel free to copy the spreadsheet and use it for your own purposes. If you develop something cool let me know and maybe I'll steal it from you.

I'm in North Idaho. Please don't tell the world how beautiful it is; I enjoy the peace and quiet.

I definitely would count rock climbing as a w/o.  I try to have 1 "sport" exercise day at least every 2 weeks. 

I'm with you on the quiet of winter hiking.  I think its the best time of year.  Ever tried hiking at night?  I sometimes hike a pretty easy trail through the woods near where I live at night.  Totally different experience in which every noise is creepy.

Current Challenge 

I definitely would count rock climbing as a w/o.  I try to have 1 "sport" exercise day at least every 2 weeks. 

I'm with you on the quiet of winter hiking.  I think its the best time of year.  Ever tried hiking at night?  I sometimes hike a pretty easy trail through the woods near where I live at night.  Totally different experience in which every noise is creepy.

It definitely counts as a workout I just didn't build a category for climbing into my challenge. However, neither the wife nor I wanted to drive the 1 1/2 hours round trip to climb tonight so it's been postponed.

I haven't done a lot of night hiking. For the last challenge I did a bunch of pre-dawn runs through my city thought which were quiet enjoyable. I really liked it on mornings with a little snow on the ground. For this go around, I have a 1/week hike goal and it will need to occur after work occasionally. So I think I'm headed in this direction.

tinkerer

<RANT>
I'm disappointed with the way the guild changes have been handled. I was concerned I'd move to Adventurers and be one of only a few who did so. It appears that is largely what happened. There was a topic posted about the direction for the guild with a lot of input from various members. That topic has apparently been deleted. I know that "It's all made up and the points don't matter" but it's annoying to deal with confusing changes and it's doubly annoying to have discussion on the matter removed. I don't want to make a trouble-making post about it so, lacking a better place, my rant goes here.
</RANT>

...and now back to the challenge...

Week 1 Day 2: Running (and later strength)
Went for a pre-work run today. It was nice weather but slippery conditions. I slightly exceeded my target HR which put my training into Zone 2 vs Zone 1. That's OK for today but not the intended purpose of Zone 1 training which is to use only aerobic pathways for energy. I need to dial things back a bit on the next run.
2.1 miles in 21:18 @ 9:57/mile and HR avg of 151.

• Like 2

tinkerer

<RANT>

I'm disappointed with the way the guild changes have been handled. I was concerned I'd move to Adventurers and be one of only a few who did so. It appears that is largely what happened. There was a topic posted about the direction for the guild with a lot of input from various members. That topic has apparently been deleted. I know that "It's all made up and the points don't matter" but it's annoying to deal with confusing changes and it's doubly annoying to have discussion on the matter removed. I don't want to make a trouble-making post about it so, lacking a better place, my rant goes here.

</RANT>

...and now back to the challenge...

Week 1 Day 2: Running (and later strength)

Went for a pre-work run today. It was nice weather but slippery conditions. I slightly exceeded my target HR which put my training into Zone 2 vs Zone 1. That's OK for today but not the intended purpose of Zone 1 training which is to use only aerobic pathways for energy. I need to dial things back a bit on the next run.

2.1 miles in 21:18 @ 9:57/mile and HR avg of 151.

Ranting is occasionally necessary.  It's a relief valve.  Your post actually got me thinking about what what team I should be in. I've only been on one other team (for only 1 challenge) and that was Warriors (after Rebels of course).  I'm not really focused on increasing my strength or muscle size to its max but I just wanted to get some helpful ideas and perspectives.  Thinking about it, I probably belong in Adventures more than Assassins since i ww kayak, rock climb, hike, ski and have done scuba and sky diving.  I think the reason I joined Assassins is because I got to know a few when I was in the Rebels and really like their posts. I think there are some people in the Assassins who, at least at that time, were pretty active in engaging w/ rebels.  I'm not in to the role playing or the points.  I tend to correspond w/ whoever interests me in whatever team they are in which is why I've been stalking you.

By the way, what is the difference in Zones 1 and 2?  Is that like a fat burning zone vs a cardo zone or something?  From you picture, you don't look like fat is an issue unless you are trying to get really low body fat.

• Like 1

Current Challenge 

Week 1 Day 3: Fun Stuff

Actually, the day didn't start off as a very fun day. I had intended to do strength training workout #1 after work last night. However, I ended up staying at work for a meeting until 7:00. Once I got home, I elected to eat some dinner and spend time with my wife and then head to bed on-time instead of staying up late. Therefore, in order to keep things moving along I had to get up at 4:30 (AM!) this morning for strength workout. Weirdly, as much as I love running the morning, I hate strength training first thing out of bed. But I got through it.

43 minutes for core training and 3 sets of "lifts".

Highlight: I made it to 2 reps with 36 lbs of extra weight on pullups!

After work I'm doing two fun things. First, I'm going to a toastmasters class (public speaking) with some coworkers. Next my wife and I are going climbing at the gym! Woohoo.

I think the reason I joined Assassins is because I got to know a few when I was in the Rebels and really like their posts. I think there are some people in the Assassins who, at least at that time, were pretty active in engaging w/ rebels.  I'm not in to the role playing or the points.  I tend to correspond w/ whoever interests me in whatever team they are in which is why I've been stalking you.

By the way, what is the difference in Zones 1 and 2?  Is that like a fat burning zone vs a cardo zone or something?  From you picture, you don't look like fat is an issue unless you are trying to get really low body fat.

That is really the way I do it, also. To be honest, for a lot of my friends on here, I don't even know in which guild they are participating at any given time. I was just hoping for a concentrated mass of like-minded folks to make it easier to also find new friends.

I've seen the zones labeled differently in different sources but they are all trying to get at different levels of effort and energy production in the body. The book I'm using breaks it down this way:

Zone 1 is where your body is using primarily aerobic metabolisms to produce energy. As I understand it, the primary energy source for this metabolism is intramuscular fat. I wouldn't however call this a "fat burning zone" because I think people tend to associate that with weight (fat) loss. Instead, it's using energy which has been stored in the muscles to work efficiently. My intention is to replace that fat the next time I eat. :)

Zone 2 is a transition zone where your body starts to use glycogen (anaerobic processes) for energy. I'm trying to avoid this pathway in most of my training to improve my output under zone 1 conditions which will lead to improved long-term performance on all day climbing trips (and everything else).

• Like 2

tinkerer

<RANT>

</RANT>

I think it is okay to be frustrated with the (somewhat half-baked) changes to the guild missions.  You are right in saying it is all made up, but we spend so much time being part of the this online community that it does matter.   I did expect a better thought-out change with the guilds.   From the initial informative thread on the changes, there was some response to the criticism of the guild descriptions but I can't see any changes to the global guild descriptions.    I feel they should have made a new separate guild, instead of renaming a guild with a different focus and a thriving community.  The thing that irks me is that these reactions have been fairly predictable, so they could have been handled better.     The NF team will probably soon get round to sorting things out, but it sounds like their attention has been distracted by cyber attacks on the server and the release of the new character creation pages.  That is my rant over  :P

Well done for getting through your strength workout at 4:30am!!!!  That is some impressive willpower right there.   Why do you think you prefer running so much to strength work in the morning?

Level 11 Morgana Scout

STR 14|DEX 11|STA 31|CON 11|WIS 23|CHA 19

Current challenge:  Talvi makes tactical decisions | Epic quests: 2015, 2016 | Running instalog: new_tracks_to_follow | Previous challenges: -2 -1 etc...

Very impressive on getting the w/o in.  For me, there are A's and F's.  I either do what I say or I fail.  You committed to exercise and you did what was needed to get the job done.

Also, I'm in awe of the pullups w/ 36 added pounds.  My pullups don't start coming until I get down from 175 to 165.  That 10lbs makes a big difference to me, let unknown adding wt.

Current Challenge 

Climbing last night was a little painful but fun. Last weekend I got some gnarly heel blisters hiking so my climbing shoes weren't all that comfortable. Nonetheless, I was able to make it up some 5.10b routes which makes me happy since it's been a month or so since I've climbed.

That is my rant over  :tongue:

Well done for getting through your strength workout at 4:30am!!!!  That is some impressive willpower right there.   Why do you think you prefer running so much to strength work in the morning?

I agree with your rant. :)

I think it has to do with the mental aspect of it. With strength training, it's a choice to start each exercise. Which means that at 4:45 I have to decide to launch into the next set of squats (or whatever) instead of calling it quits and enjoying a morning cup of coffee. With running, once I have my running clothes on, the decision is made and I'm just in the mode of enjoying the fresh air and scenery. Plus, if I'm one and a half miles from home and only have 20 minutes until I need to be in the shower or I'll be late for work, I don't really have a choice as to whether I keep running...

Very impressive on getting the w/o in.  For me, there are A's and F's.  I either do what I say or I fail.  You committed to exercise and you did what was needed to get the job done.

Also, I'm in awe of the pullups w/ 36 added pounds.  My pullups don't start coming until I get down from 175 to 165.  That 10lbs makes a big difference to me, let unknown adding wt.

It's kind of the same thing, right? One of my climbing books advised the best way to gain climbing ability for many folks is to drop 10 pounds because you have that much less to lift. I think even if there was only 5 pounds strapped to me I would still feel cool training on "weighted pullups".

• Like 3

tinkerer

In sad news, our snow is melting.

Week 1 Day 5: Hiking

I went for an after work hike with me neighbor tonight. It was fun to get out when everyone else has stopped hiking for the day. We climbed a local trail up 1870 feet. I logged the time as Zone 2 up and Zone 1 down.

1.7 miles in 58 minutes, 1870 vertical feet and average HR of 152. (one way)

Here is a shot from the top. It's not a great picture but it's more the sentiment that counts.

IMAG0879_zps5sww9wgc.jpg

• Like 4

tinkerer

Week 1 Day 6: Running and Strength

This morning my wife and I went for a run. We haven't done that in a while so it was nice to get out together.

3.34 miles in 34:09 @ 10:13 / mile and avg HR of 133.

Later in the day I did a strength workout. Core exercises (as usual) plus 3 sets of strength building exercises. In fun news, I made it up to 4 reps with 36 extra pounds of weight on dips.

Duration: 44:50.

That means, in order to hit my goal of 2:45 of Zone 1 time, I need to log 1:15 tomorrow. That is good news though because I'm headed hiking with my neighbor and we'll be out for at least that long. Hooray for being on track for week 1!

• Like 3

tinkerer

I think it has to do with the mental aspect of it. With strength training, it's a choice to start each exercise. Which means that at 4:45 I have to decide to launch into the next set of squats (or whatever) instead of calling it quits and enjoying a morning cup of coffee. 

So true, especially when working out at home. At the gym it's much easier to just get on with it.

• Like 1