Thom goes to battle the Trolls

Thom Stépan

A place holder until I get myself onto my pc.

Strength training

Meditation

Weapons training

Woden uses ravens, I use an iphone

Right let's get this sucker started. 

Trolls are the nasty boys in Heathen mythology, think LoTR type beasts with more intelligence and more belligerence. You can make friends with them, and they do become trustworthy and loyal allies, but that is rare. They do not hate humans and life as much as some Jotnar or the Muspilli. But they are nasty buggers none the less. In this context the trolls are my psychological enemies. They serve the Black Dog, and are a Heathen label for the personal demons concept often used. So think personal demon when you see troll and you will be on the right track. 

Now to be a trollslayer, I need to prepare myself, mentally, physically and spiritually. My goals will reflect this. I am not setting points yet, because I need to learn the new system that is being set up by NF this year. Though my basic scoring will be more or less the same. Critical Hit, Hit, Block, Miss. 

Goal One: Strength Training

I need to really focus more on this. 

I am going on a slight variation here, in that I am going to follow the Angry Birds workout for bodyweight exercises. My aim is two workouts per week.

My third strength training workout will be a kettlebell workout, because kettlebells. 

Critical Hit: 3 workouts per week/12 for challenge

Hit:2+ workouts per week/8-11 for challenge

Block: 1+ workout per week/4-7 for challenge

Dodge:0+ workouts per week/1-3 for challenge

Miss: 0 workouts per week/0 for challenge

Goal Two: Meditation

I need to get my mind back on track and sort out some internal issues that came up over the holiday period. I am going 'old school' in that I am going to do the Runic meditation and studies that I used to do when I first became Heathen. So out comes Thorsson's Nine Doors of Midgard book. I am adapting this slightly as I know better what I am doing, and how I want to focus this. I plan on meditating on each rune of the Anglo-Saxon Futhorc for one week, I will use the Formula of Runic Engagement and the Awakening of the Irminsul meditation techniques. I will also add some Personal Analysis/journal writing as part of this process, I need to sort out some past issues. 

Critical Hit: 6+ sessions per week/24+ for challenge

Hit: 4-6 sessions per week/17-23 for challenge

Block: 2-4 sessions per week/9-16 for challenge

Dodge: 1-2 sessions per week/5-8 for challenge

Miss: 0-1 sessions per week/ 0-4 for challenge

Goal Three: Weapons Training

It is time to get stuck in and actually develop some skills in my favourite sport, HEMA/WMA. I am a member of the SCA and my goal is to become qualified as both a Rapier combatant and Heavy combatant. I have a couple of manuals for historical swordplay that I want to work on as well. I also want to look for more stuff on polearms. I like staff work and spear/bill/halberd so learning more about those weapons would be cool. I found a challenge on fb for 30 minutes of sword training for 30 days, which I have joined and started. I am keeping it to the basics, conditioning, footwork, introductory stuff. Hammer workouts with Trudy my 10lb Sledgehammer count towards this.

Critical Hit: 6+ sessions per week/24+ for challenge

Hit: 4-6 sessions per week/17-23 for challenge

Block: 2-4 sessions per week/9-16 for challenge

Dodge: 1-2 sessions per week/5-8 for challenge

Miss: 0-1 sessions per week/ 0-4 for challenge

Goal Four/Life Quest: Sugar Consumption

As stated in my Battlelog, I watched That Sugar Film last night, it was an eye opener [watch it if you haven't]. I had a look at my sugar consumption on MFP, scary. I am averaging between 80-140 grams of sugar per day. That is 20-35 teaspoons per day. My goal here is to start limiting that consumption. I plan to make the 80g average per day my main goal. In the last six weeks of tracking I have gotten that low, so I know I can, do that. The average is worked out over the week by MFP. 

Critical Hit: below 80g daily average intake

Hit: 80-85g daily average intake

Block: 85-90g daily average intake

Dodge:90-95g daily average intake

Miss:95g+ daily average intake

Now we have some goals set in place let's kill me a troll.

• Like 9

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

*does a 1-person mexican wave* Yay new challenge!

Happy new year Thom! :D

• Like 1

Stonie

They/Them

Currently reading: Good Omens by Terry Pratchet & Neil Gaiman

Currently playing: Outer Worlds (Xbox)

Current DnD character: A radio presenter who’s magical bardic weapon is a portable radio broadcaster’s kit

Weapons training seems to be a thing in the guild this challenge!  Which weapons do you use?  I can't wait to see what you come up with.  :)

• Like 2

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Following.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Watching. Waiting. Anticipating awesome.

• Like 1

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Looking forward to what you unveil this challenge, Thom!

• Like 1

[ Level ?? ]  Thunderlord of the Legio Thundaris 

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

Definitely here for some Thomfullery ;)

And weapons training + discussion. I remember when you mentioned Bartitsu and I had a nerdgasm!

NERDGASM_-SiteComp-CLEAN.jpg?v=144139954

Wolf

"Let the Boomstick do the talking."

• Like 2

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 2 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Howler/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 192#

Stats: MIGHT: 12 / CONSTITUTION: 9 / DEXTERITY: 11 / PERCEPTION: 10 / INTELLECT: 9 / RESOLVE: 13

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Omnis Vir Lupus

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

Looking forward to a great challenge!

• Like 1

Wisdom 20   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 16  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Those are some great goals and an awesome write up. I'm going to love watching you win.

• Like 2

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Sugar is insidious.  Let's both kick it to the curb!!!

• Like 1

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Current Challenge: Return of the Persistent Priestess

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

And now that you've posted your goals, I'm excited to see how the weapons play works out.  Many many years ago, I did Rapier combat in the SCA, so I'm pretty familiar with how all of that works.  :)  I wanted to do heavy as well, but at the time I couldn't afford the gear.  Good luck with getting qualified to fight.  Fighting in SCA wars was so much fun!

• Like 3

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Yes! Great to see your goals up. Trolls, weapons, runes...

Love the focus and points system, Thom Trollslayer!

• Like 4

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Thanks Nymeria. I am lucky in that my shire has a couple of full sets of loaner gear. I am looking at the rapier class primarily because it will be cheaper for me to get into. Thus more doable.

Time to go start on this week's rune. Feoh

Woden uses ravens, I use an iphone.

• Like 1

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

64f451fc6f2b7184b2b1d013d6dcc65a.jpg

Feoh the first rune, the rune of beginnings, wealth, cattle, money.

Woden uses ravens, I use an iphone.

• Like 5

Aaand camping out on your thread again. Heathen is the religion with homework is no joke. @u@ -hits the books-

And ummm weapons training?! Holy crap. I saw like two others mentioning it vaguely but your relevant quest description made it sink in. Even MORE homework! o: SO freaking cool!

• Like 3

Doll | Gargoyle | Ranger | lvl 7th
STR 17, STA 8, CON 14, DEX 2, CHA 7, WIS 4
1st | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | Current | B L

Main Storyline: Drop 55lbs 06/55lbs

10.9%
4.4%

Did someone say Trollslayer?

troll_slayer_warhammer_by_masterchomic.j

Yes! Great to see your goals up. Trolls, weapons, runes...

Love the focus and points system, Thom Trollslayer!

I feel a username change might be in order after the successful completion of this challenge.

Following my fellow Ranger and RPG Fanatic!

• Like 4