The Chronicles of Rurik: A Maelstrom of Frost and Flame

Rurik Harrgath

"Hither came Rurik Harrgath, wild-bearded and sullen-eyed, hammer in hand, a ranger, a reaver, a slayer,

with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the wild places of the earth under his booted feet…

Passion tempered by Intellect, given life through Instinct."

ZTK7W.png  6x9L0.png  wk1rU.png

The MAIN QUEST: Build a life worthy of being called a Barbarian Ranger and everything that entails.

In Dungeons & Dragons, the Barbarian class is capable of entering a Raging state that allows the character to endure more punishment and inflict more damage for a short period of time.  Similar to those bouts of untapped strength and power unleashed by a Barbarian, I will unleash the fury within to crush my challenge goals and hasten my awakening as a paragon of savage glory, ever seeking to ignite reality full of passion, adventure, and excitement to bring myself closer to the life of a video game character, the likes of which you might find going about his business in World of Warcraft or upon the screen of a sword-and-sorcery action-adventure film.  Thus, the Barbarian Ranger is born.

Starting weight baseline: 188 lbs.

Maximum pullups: 10 strict.  Next goal: 12.

Double-unders Combo: 22 consecutive.

CHAPTER I:  Of the Far, Grim North  (+2 CON, +1 DEX)

Quest Description"None may stand where titans have tread!  Exertions that would otherwise kill another are but trifle inconveniences to you.  Howl your war cry over the savage wastes and conquer the landscape as you would any foe!  Fear not the rage within; let it control you while you reap through the blood of your enemies!  You are beyond the mortal confines of mortal men..."

Goal:  To stave off weaknesses and enhance my natural toughness, complete a 5km ruck carrying my sledgehammer as an accessory.  Additionally, achieve a rucking total of 40 kilometers over the course of this challenge, practicing Yoga balancing and flexibility alongside.

Bonus Achievement[Warrior of the North]  (Complete a survival expedition - find shelter, start a fire, and cook a meal - while rucking in the wilderness.)

game-of-thrones-bonk.gif

CHAPTER II:  Of the Muster at Greywatch  (+2 DEX, +1 STA)

Quest Description:  “A paragon of primal fury, harness your wild rage to become a howling badass of death and destruction.  You radiate bloodlust and fury and strike like lightning upon the Anvil of the Gods!  You are more powerful than any foe!  Your mere presence alone fills opponents with dread and causes them to shake with fear, hesitating before you in battle.”

Goal:  Like the savage berserker, I must relentlessly train to enhance my agility through dedication and perseverance, mastering my body with weekly drills to build a competency baseline in many skills requiring the body’s natural weight.  Quest includes:  Double-unders.  Muscle-ups.  Pull-ups.  Ring Dips.  Climbing.

Bonus Achievement[Heart of the Wolverine]  (Ranger Yoga.  Complete no less than 3 yoga poses in the wilderness.)

rock2.gif

CHAPTER III:  Of the Warband’s Coming to Gabilzaramul  (+1 DEX, +1 CON, +1 WIS)

Quest Description:  “Strike fast and violently, unleashing your terrible might upon your foes and deliver unto them a reckoning of blood!  None shall stand before you!  Move swift and sure like a wild beast through the Far, Grim North.  Keen senses, swift motion, and flawless strikes; to the barbarian, weapons mastery is the key to survival.”

Goal:  No Barbarian Ranger is fit for battle without a foundation of weapons skills.  Complete a weekly session of weaponry practice. 

Bonus Achievement[The Fury Caller]  (Complete four (4) sledgehammer, spear practice, or swordplay sessions after rucking.)

tumblr_nmceoiRvir1tx0injo1_500.gif

CHAPTER IV:  Of Ruin, Redemption, and Revenge  (+2 WIS, + 4 CHA)

Quest Description:  "Yours is the Fury of the Mountain and its aid shall come to those who have earned it.  Channel within you its terrible majesty, and call upon your great ancestors, for you are mightier with their ancient blessings within you!  So does the savage wanderer returns hence from dungeons deep and caverns old to recuperate from his adventures, nurse his wounds, and enjoy the spoils of conquest!”

Goal:  Keep a running commentary on my daily activity, ranging from reading through gaming, additionally including any Domestic Rangeringâ„¢ and nutrition compliance.

Bonus Achievement:  [A Dream of Victory]  (Maintain more than 24/28 days within calorie compliance.)

conan-the-barbarian.gif

IN ADDITION to the main Chapter Quests, a running total of Experience Points is kept.  Experience (+XP) is awarded for any effort that brings my real life character more in line with that of a Barbarian Ranger, specifically fitness activities and flavor achievements.  Each activity awards +20% XP up to a weekly total of 100/100 Experience.  See below for the full list.

[Legacy of the Savage Wanderer] Achievement:  Right-Click to open the Ancient Ironbound Chest… contained therein is a treasure much sought-after by mortal men and dragon alike, [Rurik’s War-Kilt of Primal Majesty].  It increases our hero’s stat points and attributes, experience gain, and awards him a legendary countenance so that all may look upon him in awe!

c410e75b410b8677128f51b545307501.jpg

Challenge Inspiration: Vikings, Barbarians, and other over-the-top manly tropes that carried me through childhood and continue to inspire me on my journey toward legendary greatness as an adult.  We’re dialing the BAMF Factorâ„¢ to 11 here, folks!  Over the following 4 weeks I will introduce a weekly barbarian mystic or warrior king who has inspired me at one point or another.  Each of these has made me the man I am today and their indomitable spirits and iron wills shall aid me as I endure this arduous quest through the dark and frigid depths of winter!

giphy.gif

• Like 24

[ Level ?? ]    Havoc, the Cyberpunk Outrider. 

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

TRACKING THE BARBARIAN RANGER'S PROGRESS THROUGH THE WILDERNESS

19fa551e3db46c88c09653c3589b2d43.jpg

For the sake of this challenge, we're awarding Experience Points based on task completion.  As mentioned in the Chapter Quests above, various activities and exercises contribute XP toward a particular trait.  A goal of 100% is set each week, with one particular exercise awarding 20% completion toward the overall Experience Points goal.

• A Beating Heart represents constitution and receives contributions from rucking mileage, yoga, and flexibility efforts.
  • The Brawler displays competence in controlling his form and various bodyweight and agility exercises fill that meter.
  • Finally the Weapons Master, as one would expect, fills as weaponry practice is logged.
  • Like 5

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

CHAPTER I: OF THE FAR, GRIM NORTH

Foothills of the Far, Grim North, in the 2016th year by the scholars’ reckoning.

SPRING'S RAINS NURTURE the warm growth of summer’s splendor.  That splendor fades against the cold tides of autumn’s chill before surrendering to winter’s icy grasp.  All things wax and wane, giving way to the burdens of age and decay, like summer to autumn and eventually unto winter.  Thus has it been, thus shall it always be.  In the Far, Grim North of the world the Earth Mother must have missed the missive because there were few enough of those spring rains and summer’s splendor was far too short.  For a climate that seemed to wholly exist between the pendulum of autumn’s bright colors and the savage chill of winter, far more folks called the Far, Grim North home than one would expect. 

Kneeling before a runestone cairn that towered over his substantial build, Rurik Harrgath lit a tallow candle and placed it within the skull resting on the barren ground before him.  The skull was as long as the dwarf’s arm, its teeth long and serrated like vicious blades; its ebony eye sockets entirely empty and devoid of life, but still the skull seemed to command dignity and hearkened to an earlier majesty.

“Power, and the Will to use it,” Rurik whispered to himself, the words sibilant and scarcely raised enough that any could hear, as if spoken like an oath.  These were the words of the Dragon Clans - the Nords, as they called themselves - whose honor had been pledged to the last of Dragonkind, those magnificent black drakes who still commanded the mountains and skies.  Their reach was primordial, their power wondrous to behold.  Neither benevolent nor malevolent, theirs was a neutral outlook that covered all the lands within their self-claimed ranges.

Nothing but the howling wind seemed to answer Rurik’s uttered oaths, which suited him just fine.  He had spent the majority of his adult years in the Far, Grim North and saw little reason to ever leave.  The harsh climate and rugged landscape forged a challenging aspect for all who called it home, in turn lending those same denizens of the wilder realm a grim brand of perseverance and natural hardiness to the elements.  It was with these Nords that Rurik had dwelt some eleven years now.  Entering what would be his thirtieth year, he was still considered a juvenile only beginning adulthood in the eyes of his dwarven folk but in the eyes of his adopted brothers and sisters among the Nords his was a fairly reckoned and well accounted life.  Combined with his command over the very elements of nature, propensity for survival in the roughest of climes, and formidable prowess in combat, it was as if Rurik Harrgath had been destined to find a place among the Northern Clans.  The rest of his folk dwelt far to the south, among the ancient mountain ranges ruled over by the mountain kings of his forefathers and ancestors, where they were content to mine their ore and delve their mines ever-deeper into the very bowels of the old world.  But that life was not one for the wandering, restless dwarf.

His shamanic powers had presented themselves in his early teenage years, far earlier than any other such mage or priest before him, and of a power rarely seen and scarcely understood, indeed much maligned among the organized, orderly mountainfolk.  Their path was one of the Light and, to a lesser extent, the scholarly pursuit of arcane understanding, rather than the deep-minded spirituality of communing with the ancients, their ancestors, and commanding power over the very elements that comprised the world around them.  Though his family was of noble enough standing within the dwarves’ caste system and hierarchy to prevent his being exiled due to their dogmatic predilection, Rurik had never found a niche among his people nor did he ever find a place of acceptance in their regimented daily routines committed to work and industry.

It wasn’t long after his coming of age ceremony during the eighteenth year of his life, wherein he and many of his contemporaries were sorted into a life-long vocation based on their merits, proven skills, and family standing, that Rurik Harrgath knew the life of the mountainfolk suited him little.  Swearing off an existence beneath the surface of the world where his was the destiny of an artificer who would carve and hew gems for many long hours a day before stepping from his duty shift and taking to the taverns, so beloved of the deep-dwellers.  There he and his brothers would drown their off-hours in ale and song, reveling in their brews beneath the same earth under which they toiled their days away, never to enjoy the warm, glimmering touch of sunlight upon his face or the breeze ruffling his hair like an old friend.  Nay, Rurik had committed himself to a life of ranging the far, wild reaches of the world, full of vitality and harnessing a versatility both of character and capability unknown to his fellows.

Such was his fate, and his choices made within that twisted knot-work of destiny, that the budding dwarven shaman dedicated himself to a life abroad.  Some months of journeying eventually lead him north through the human kingdoms and eventually to the Far, Grim North, where he felt the first pangs of belonging in his young life.  There he found meaning and a calling of sorts.  There he found a people he considered his own, even if he couldn’t in fact rightly call them true kin.

Stepping back from the tallow candle he had lit and in turn placed within the dragon skull cavity, he gathered a switch of feathers and willow sticks from the leather pouch hung from his side.  Passing that divination rod to his other hand, he plucked a pinch of powder from the same old, battered pouch and released them to the wind, blowing softly so that at least a minute handful were sure to make their fall nearby the skull or, ideally, ignite upon the candle’s blazing wick.  He closed his eyes and whispered a few words of power, in both the language of the Nords and Old Draconic, imparting a blessing on his clan and, ancestors willing, upon himself.  Rurik Harrgath did not consider himself a saint; no, those who made such claims usually found their path to the Light among his dwarven brethren or the human city-states, building their churches and cathedrals high and sure.  His calling was one of passion tempered by intellect, given life through nature.  Only the vast wilds of the world would suit him, and to survive in such wilderness one must be wholly dedicated to oneself before all others.  Instinct could guide you, but only a wildly-burning lust for life and the experiences one found along the way could keep you alive in the rugged places of the world such as Rurik had found himself.

The softly burning tallow candle suddenly blazed brightly, seeming to ignite the whole cliff face in doing so, and continued to blaze magnificently for some time.  A smile crept to the dwarf’s face, knowing his shamanic requests had been heard.  He returned the feathered divination rod to his pouch and dusted his gloved hands, noticing a line of thread had come loose along the thumb of his right-hand glove. 

“Gods above,” he muttered.  Upon return to Haustvald, the town of Nords he had based himself out of for a few years, Rurik would have to seek out the local leatherworker.  Thankfully the man owed him a favor or two and the repair would not be a costly one.

Casting a final glance at the roaring flame atop a simple tallow candle within an ancient draconic skull sitting before a great carved runestone, Rurik Harrgath wrapped a hand around the sturdy flask at his hip and brought it to his lips.  The warming sensation of the Nordic strongmead is one to savor, so savor he did, smacking his lips appreciatively and ever careful not to drip any of the late autumn delight onto his substantial beard.  Though his wild, long and roughly-braided locks had seen more than their fair share of the beverages of the world and all its sundry peoples, Rurik was vehemently against the wasting of alcohol, especially one so fine and treasured as the annually mulled strongmead his adopted people considered their national beverage, such as there was.   Meticulously distilled, great casks of the berry-and-honey beverage were stored out of doors to allow its water content to freeze.  That ice was then skimmed off the surface of the alcohol and allowed to freeze yet again, further decreasing the water content and thereby fortifying the mead’s alcoholic content.  Hence, strongmead.

All of these factors were far from the dwarf’s recollection as he enjoyed another dram of the vaguely woodsy, sweetly-spiced beverage.  The only thoughts drifting within the mind beneath the warm mammothswool cap keeping his ears warm below an elaborate horned helm were of a task well done and of the warm repast he would receive at the table of his friend Magnus Wolf-Gaze, chieftain of Haustvald.  Satisfied that his request to the ancestors had been heard and confident that the people under his care would survive the approaching winter, Rurik retrieved his mighty warhammer from where it leaned against an equally mighty stone and heaved it up so that its great head rested about his shoulders.  Grateful for the familiar feel of the heavy weapon in its close and rightful place, he tucked his spare hand in the sturdy leather belt around his middle and began the short trek back to Haustvald.

• Like 16

I love the way you set up your challenge! My post looks so lazy in comparison. Sledgehammer workouts sound FUN!

Sledgehammer workouts have opened up a whole new can of whoop-ass for me.  Now I need a tire to smash.

And hay bales to throw my spears at.

The life of a barbarian is strangely equipment-dependent.  Like in every freaking video game EVER.

First post and Wolfie has already shown up !

Ha!  Good eye, but not quite.  Magnus is just Magnus.  Although that's not to say that Wolfie won't be making an appearance in the very near future... ;)

• Like 8

Well here I am ;)

Love it, Rurik. Well thought out and beautiful.. Just beautiful wordsmanship on the writing! Good lord, son, you have some legendary talent!

Subbed and ready to rock and roll brotha!

Wolf

"Let the Boomstick do the talking."

• Like 6

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 2 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Howler/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 192#

Stats: MIGHT: 12 / CONSTITUTION: 9 / DEXTERITY: 11 / PERCEPTION: 10 / INTELLECT: 9 / RESOLVE: 13

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Omnis Vir Lupus

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

Holy smokes, you are like the George Martin of challenges! I want more right meow!

• Like 4

the year of living trippily

The most current of all: Final Boss  Previous:    Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)

I love your goals, and I'm at the point where I can't imagine not following your challenges!  I'm glad I'll have a buddy with the muscle up work, pull ups, climbing, the Ranger yoga, weapons, and everything else!  :)

Nice start to the story!  

• Like 3

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Great goals, and the fiction is even better than last time!

• Like 3

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I'm SO jealous of the sledgehammer rucking.  I'll be keeping a close eye on that one.  I would LOVE to add that in this spring when I can get out more.  Must.  Buy.  Sledgehammer.  

I'll come back and read later after I catch up on new threads.  So amped for Rurik-al magical tales!

• Like 3

Rangering since Sept 2015

I saw your challenge was up and immediately settled into a comfy chair with a cup of coffee so I could read the first chapter of your story in peace! Your writing never disappoints, can't wait for the rest.

Good luck with your goals!

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

I saw your challenge was up and immediately settled into a comfy chair with a cup of coffee so I could read the first chapter of your story in peace! Your writing never disappoints, can't wait for the rest.

If only I had known what wonderful writing awaited me before I started reading - I would've settled onto my comfy couch with a cup of tea, quite like yourself!

Rurik, I enjoyed your writing and look forward to the rest of your Challenge. Hoo!

• Like 1

If only I had known what wonderful writing awaited me before I started reading - I would've settled onto my comfy couch with a cup of tea, quite like yourself!

Rurik, I enjoyed your writing and look forward to the rest of your Challenge. Hoo!

You are in for a treat.  A most excellent story is surely in store.

• Like 3

Rangering since Sept 2015

Bonus Achievement:  [Warrior of the North]  (Complete a survival expedition - find shelter, start a fire, and cook a meal - while rucking in the wilderness.)

YES! Oh gosh that is such a satisfying feeling. Your challenge sounds like a movie @u@ so cool. You're gonna do great. 

• Like 3

Doll | Gargoyle | Ranger | lvl 7th
STR 17, STA 8, CON 14, DEX 2, CHA 7, WIS 4
1st | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | Current | B L

Main Storyline: Drop 55lbs 06/55lbs

10.9%
4.4%

Yes cool story indeed! All that is an interesting, fun busy way to start the year! Good luck

• Like 1

My Battle Log

Challenges 1, 2,

Escape the Matrix Quest

Those are challenges I couldn't complete during previous 6 Week Challenges. While they won't be my focus for the next 6WC, I am keeping them here until I complete them. I WILL complete them.

Push ups challenge (3 sets of 30)

50%
50%

Freaking pull ups challenge (10 consecutive pushups)

64%
64%

Well here I am ;)

Love it, Rurik. Well thought out and beautiful.. Just beautiful wordsmanship on the writing! Good lord, son, you have some legendary talent!

Subbed and ready to rock and roll brotha!

Glad to have you along again, my old friend!

This story is really writing itself.  Definitely helps that I hammered out an outline in accordance with the 4WC and limited myself to two entries per week.  That framework has helped immensely!

Holy smokes, you are like the George Martin of challenges! I want more right meow!

That might be some of the most high praise I've ever received toward my writing.  Thank you very much! 

You can expect another entry on Sunday!  Releases will be Sundays and Wednesdays, with weekly goal summaries on Mondays.  All subject to my shift schedule and thereby energy levels.  ;)

Looks like 2016 is off to an awesome start!

I sure think so.  I missed this pre-challenge enthusiasm!

I love your goals, and I'm at the point where I can't imagine not following your challenges!  I'm glad I'll have a buddy with the muscle up work, pull ups, climbing, the Ranger yoga, weapons, and everything else!   :)

Nice start to the story!  

I already feel better about this 4WC format and feel like the hype is more sustainable.  Going to jump right into some of the stuff on my Rangerly To Do List right away this week while I'm feeling fresh and enthusiastic!

giphy.gif

Sweeeett! Nice writing, as always. I like the goals especially the bonus goals. I am ready for the weekly warrior lessons :)

There is so much fantastic stuff coming this challenge.  Couldn't be more excited and manage to keep my head attached, I think.  ;)

• Like 5

Great goals, and the fiction is even better than last time!

Thanks, my friend.  If I could discard any notions of humility for a moment, I would say that I'm exceedingly proud of where this particular gaggle of fiction has lead so far.  My writing has matured an evolved a bit over the past year.  I really love spinning these shorthand tales!

I'm SO jealous of the sledgehammer rucking.  I'll be keeping a close eye on that one.  I would LOVE to add that in this spring when I can get out more.  Must.  Buy.  Sledgehammer.  

I'll come back and read later after I catch up on new threads.  So amped for Rurik-al magical tales!

The plan is to get that bad boy out of the way early next week.  It'll be hard not to feel like a bad-ass while strolling down the road with 40# on my back and a sledgehammer on my shoulder. 

caf68158723cb27903bc76427056277b.jpg

Enjoy your reading session.  I hear it's especially enjoyable from a comfy chair with a mug of your favorite hot beverage in hand.  I recommend Bulletproof Chai.  ;)

Wow! I know everyone else said it already, but your challenge looks great and your story is beautiful. :) I can't wait to see what comes next! How often are you planning on posting story installments?

Thank you, Shadri.  Always a pleasure to have my oldest NF friend around.

Story installments will be released on or around ever Sunday and Wednesday, maybe Thursday at the latest. 

Gloriously crafted, Rurik. I can't wait to lurk along :)

I don't know what it is about those simple words, but something about "Gloriously crafted" warmed the cockles of my heart.  Thank you for that, Kat.

Good luck with your goals!

This comment is why I recommended a comfy spot and warm beverage to Marauder for catching up.  Really glad to hear you enjoyed yourself.  Since my interest in Skaldic lore has become paramount lately, this challenge became completely dedicated to storytelling.  From the goals, my story installments, to my daily check-ins, I'm enthralled by the notion of inspiring and entertaining others through narrative.

Good luck with your own goals, and thank you!

• Like 5