This will be my second challenge with the druids. I feel good here, and I am sure this is the place to be for my quest to physical and mental health. 

I will turn 50 this year, and by the time I reach this magic date I want to have my life in order. In detail, this means to focus on physical health by doing yoga and pilates on a regular basis and by cleaning up my diet again. I've been slacking on my paleo, not liking the consequences.

Mental health is something that for some reason I tend to neglect, and this needs to change. Usually, I sort of race through my work days, and if someone asks me what time it is, I answer something like "uhm, winter?"

Not good.

Also, I tend to sacrifice self care as something that is not as important as other things. Which is wrong. So a change of attitude is needed.

Quest 1: return to my established paleo lifestyle to fuel my body properly, keeping below 40g carbs per day

Quest 2: regain flexibility and core stability with yoga and pilates - twice per week should be doable

Quest 3: have every day some time for self care, appreciating my body without judging it

Quest 4: Whatever I do, I need to be fully into it. No matter whether work, sports, playing with kids, gardening … simply be more in the moment. To consciously live my day, I will write a journal, reflecting my day before I go to bed.

From last challenge came a few things that I will keep continuing, since they have turned into good habits: drink enough water, take St. John's Wort, keep decluttering (very satisfying!), use the stairs at work instead of elevator, spend talking and/ or story telling time with my children.

What I won't continue: step tracking and logging my water intake . Honestly, numbers don't satisfy me. 

Life is precious, I don't want to feel wasting it on the wrong things or - even worse - run through it without really feeling alive...

• Like 6

FLUCTUAT  NEC  MERGITUR

FUELED BY PALEO

ace goals!

• Like 1
STR 8 | DEX 4 | STA 7 | CON 6 |  WIS 9.75 | CHA 10.5
Current challenge | Accountable to chronologically blessed

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016
Quest 1 - Misfit to 800 4 days out of 7

0%
0%
Quest 2 - Mindfulness daily

0%
0%

Quest 3 - Veg with every meal, 2 pints of water a day

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

Sounds like you have your act together.  Good job on recognizing that you need to take care of yourself.

It sounds like it … but fact is I feel somewhat scattered, as in no real red thread to follow. 

If things will be going the way I hope I should end up by my birthday (August) with a more serene mindset, at ease with myself and my life.

• Like 2

FLUCTUAT  NEC  MERGITUR

FUELED BY PALEO

best of luck for today and here's to an amazing challenge!

• Like 1

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016

0%
0%

0%
0%

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

Great goals! I think a lot of 'tracking' goals can be let go after the first round or two. When you get a sense of what you need and what you're doing, the numbers don't matter anymore.

That's exactly what I am thinking. Without numbers, it is also a bit more getting in touch with myself, as in following my instincts.

Looks like a great challenge. Good luck!

Thank you! 

best of luck for today and here's to an amazing challenge!

Thank you, I think today went well!

Today was a good start:

Two bis mugs of coffee with coconut oil, coconut milk and cinnamon, foamed up to creamy goodness, scrambled eggs with some chopped hot pepper, fried bacon and a few slices of cucumber. Not to forget my big yellow pill, the St. John's Wort.

I had a light therapy lamp going during breakfast, and my husband liked it a lot, says it helps him to wake up. Good, I hope it will do soon the same for me!

Dinner was right now (early for me) some lactose-free brie, butter, chorizo and one slice of pumpernickel bread ( goes so nicely with the brie but actually a bit too carb-y). Now I am having some tea, because for reasons unknown my stomach acts up a little. I guess I have to get used to a cleaner way of eating again. At least that's what I like to think, because the other possibility (some sort of stomach bug) is too unpleasant to think of. No, no - I would very much like a bug-free start. In all aspects! :D

If I manage to stay away from the fridge for today, day one would be a winner. 

Besides food, there was only work, and the drive to it, through something between snow and rain, but closer to rain. Maybe I will take a nice hot bath now, counts als self care and might actually warm me up a little. It got so cold... 

• Like 1

FLUCTUAT  NEC  MERGITUR

FUELED BY PALEO

I think we have a fake type of pumpernickel in the UK - you can buy it in Lidl and in comes in a brick that is cut into thin slices. I only like it if there is the same thickness slice of butter on top of it :-) I'm told by a friend who spent a lot of time in Germany that it is not real pumpernickel, it should be black and taste of molasses?

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016

0%
0%

0%
0%

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

Yup, it is almost black (very dark brown) and it tastes a bit like molasses without being too sweet. I live in the area of Germany where pumpernickel comes from; maybe it is sort of an acquired taste. Brick-shaped it is, and usually pre-cut into thin easily breakable slices, too. 

One of my favorite ways of eating it is with fried brie, fried parsley and some lingonberry sauce. Makes me hungry thinking of it. :D

For X-Mas, one can put butter on it (nice and thick) and on top a German type of spice cookie (Spekulatius, no idea what you might call this in English!). Tastes delicious with a cup of hot black coffee. Had a bit too much of this, waaay too much carb for my system, but so good…   :redface:

• Like 1

FLUCTUAT  NEC  MERGITUR

FUELED BY PALEO

For X-Mas, one can put butter on it (nice and thick) and on top a German type of spice cookie (Spekulatius, no idea what you might call this in English!). Tastes delicious with a cup of hot black coffee. Had a bit too much of this, waaay too much carb for my system, but so good…   :redface:

Speculoos. It's mostly in the import sections at grocery stores, but I think we're actually starting to get more popular here.

I'm also getting pretty hungry just thinking about fried brie. Yum yum.

• Like 2

Speculoos. It's mostly in the import sections at grocery stores, but I think we're actually starting to get more popular here.

I'm also getting pretty hungry just thinking about fried brie. Yum yum.

Speculoos, I didn't know that … cool, I just learned something; thank you! :D

Still, they won't be part of my diet for a long time now (until Christmas 2016 lol). I need to go back to low carb, because it makes me feel so much better physically. More energy, less sluggish and no brain fog. 

Last night I did some yoga, which felt awfully good, especially in the lower back area, and I went to bed early. 

My alarm clock is one that imitates a sunrise, with birds chirping (and gradually getting louder, if I don't react), and I absolutely enjoy waking up this way instead of being kicked out of bed by some shrill noises produced by regular alarm clocks.

Breakfast today:

Bacon, scrambled eggs, red bellpepper, cucumber and bulletproof coffee with coconut milk, cinnamon and some coconut oil. Pretty much like yesterday, but so far I like it. It'll change as soon as I feel the urge to add some variety. Light therapy lamp was going for 30 minutes, and I feel awake now, ready to face the day. :)

• Like 1

FLUCTUAT  NEC  MERGITUR

FUELED BY PALEO

mmmm, nice breakfast, I need to get some bacon!

• Like 1

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016

0%
0%

0%
0%

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

Did I just hear bacon?

Now I want Bacon and Pumpernickel =)

Looks like we got the same alarm clock. But mine is tuned to my favourite radio station.

It is awesome to wake up ahead of the sounds just by the light, isn't it?

• Like 1

Fate whispers to the warrior: "You cannot withstand the storm."

The warrior whispers back:
 "
I am the storm."

How is it going Silverwitch?

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016

0%
0%

0%
0%

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

Did I just hear bacon?

Now I want Bacon and Pumpernickel =)

Looks like we got the same alarm clock. But mine is tuned to my favourite radio station.

It is awesome to wake up ahead of the sounds just by the light, isn't it?

I just love my alarm clock! Much nicer to wake up with this instead of nerve-wrecking beeping noises. It had a considerable influence on my modd in general, and on the way I feel about starting a new day - even a work day. 

Hi Silverwitch! Following along! My goals are somewhat different but I retain my interest in yoga, Pilates and Paleo, bookmarking all for a future challenge and hoping to hang out here sometimes to learn from you wise women.

We can learn from each other no matter what our goals are. :) Glad to see you here!

How is it going Silverwitch?

Week one in over, and I made happily the transition back to my good old low carb Paleo living. Have to admit small carb withdrawal attacks, but this is gone now fortunately. I follow the two week low carb challenge on dietdoctor.com. Works nicely, and the recipes are ace!

Yoga is a steady part of my evenings, and I am very happ about that. Interesting: I planned on doing it at least twice per week, and now that the pressure of doing it daily is gone, I do it daily. Weird psychology… :D

What I struggle with is the mindful part. Being totally in what I am doing. I catch myself sometimes still thinking about something else instead of what I am doing at the moment. So this will need some more work.

Self care works out nicely, I noticed that I get grumpy if someone tries interfere with my very personal time! Good, because this means that I finally value self care a little more than before!

Decluttering meant last week to get all the Christmas stuff back into boxes. But I also sorted through everything, repaired a few items, and labelled the boxes properly so next Christmas will be easier because I will find all the stuff much faster. 

So far, I have only good feelings about this challenge! :)

I'll have to catch up a lot with all the other threads! Will happily do so today. 

• Like 4

FLUCTUAT  NEC  MERGITUR

FUELED BY PALEO

apologies for the multiple posting, so glad it's going well!

• Like 1

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016

0%
0%

0%
0%