[whitewineandcathair] builds a better core

auntdinosaur

[whitewineandcathair]

defhYiq.gif"

Recycling the theme from my abandoned challenge, because I got a little distracted that time around.

8jtwMQo.gif

OK. A lot distracted.

To make a needlessly long story short, I've been dealing with some hormonal issues for quite a while now, and the most recent birth control pill I was put on gave me a pretty serious case of the Don't Wannas. I was dealing with depression symptoms, lack of motivation, and brain fog. All of which make these challenges, uh, extra challenging. I'm on a new pill now, and have no idea how well this will work out, but here we go...

tfDIeEn.gif

...builds a better core

I'll be taking a little break from the lengthy yoga sessions this time and doing a mixture of Pilates, bodyweight exercises, and a little yoga that mainly focuses on core strength. I'll be doing a 30 minute workout 3x per week. All workouts will be tracked in my battle log.

A = 11 -12 workouts

B = 9 - 10 workouts

C = 7 - 8 workouts

GenOBwC.gif

...introduces rainbow-hued biofuel

I think I do pretty well on my intake of fruits and veggies, but just like my protein challenges before, I thought it would be a good idea to track my eating habits and get a feel for the serving sizes and variety I eat on a daily basis. For this challenge, I will aim to eat five servings a day of fruits and vegetables, and "eat the rainbow." I'll be tracking the color variety in my notebook/journal and posting the results here once a week. (I'd originally planned to try one new fruit or vegetable per week of the challenge, but walking around the produce section... I couldn't find four I'd never had. Go me?)

A = 126 - 140 servings of fruits and veggies
B = 112 - 125 servings of fruits and veggies

C = 98 - 111 servings of fruits and veggies

3GXuqqT.gif

D5XJuBW.gif

...installs toxin filtration system

[whitewineandcathair] does Drynuary. Between the stomach issues, the depression issues, the financial issues, and the brain fog, this is just a good idea. I will not drink for the month of January. (Bonus: I'll still get my wine club shipment and will have a full wine rack by the time I'm "allowed" to drink it.)

Pass = 0 drinks in January

Fail = >0 drinks in January

JXSsoIU.gif
...recalibrates internal clock

I've been having more than a little trouble getting up, finding time to do my morning meditation, AND making it to work on time. I don't actually have any trouble wanting to go back to bed once I'm up, it's just the actual act of getting out of bed when the alarm first goes off. This might actually be my hardest challenge. I've been using an app that's supposed to wake me up during the lightest part of my sleep cycle, and that's only been helping a little. The goal for this challenge is to get up, meditate, and get to work on time.

A = 18 - 20 successful mornings

B = 15 - 17 successful mornings

C = 12 - 14 successful mornings

grading: To pass and level up, I must get a C or better in each challenge. (And pass Drynuary.)

reward: Funko Pop! Joy and Sadness (Must pass with all A's and B's.)

progress:

week one

week two

mid-challenge summary

week three

week four

final report

• Like 5

Happy new Year!

What time do you need to get up to have a successful morning?

Thank you and happy new year!

Roughly 3am. (I start at 5am.) With the app that is supposed to wake me up at the appropriate part of the cycle, it's somewhere between 2:45 and 3:15. That's mostly why there is no time specified, but I also figured it might be easier to have a "did everything I needed to do" goal instead up an "up at this exact time" goal.

I'm loving the gifs! Definitely inspiring :P

How do you manage getting up at 3am? What time do you normally go to bed? (I would never even have the willpower to get up at 5am on a regular basis)

The rewards are adorable! The movie was really inspiring (I'm not ashamed to admit I cried at some sections) and the Funko Pop's look so cute!

Panda  

Hobbit | Drifter | Level 3

STR 6 | DEX 5 | STA 2 | CON 5 | WIS 7 | CHA 2

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Training | Challenge 1 2 3 4 | Epic Quest

I'm loving the gifs! Definitely inspiring :tongue:

How do you manage getting up at 3am? What time do you normally go to bed? (I would never even have the willpower to get up at 5am on a regular basis)

The rewards are adorable! The movie was really inspiring (I'm not ashamed to admit I cried at some sections) and the Funko Pop's look so cute!

I do it every day, so it really doesn't bother me. I've work 5-1 for about 5 years now. I go to bed around 8ish.

What is this app???  I need so much help waking up.  I've had my job for a year, and I still can'at get used to a 5am wake up call.

I've been using SleepBot, which is free. I plan to try/buy SleepCycle sometime soon, too.

I've used Sleepcycle (the whole Argus suite) for a while. It works nicely, though I have to say it's always early in the wake zone for me. That might be a calibration issue or I might just thrash a lot in the wee hours. :)

"Magic?" the old man replied, his raspy voice curling around the pipe like smoke,

"There's no such thing as that; not the way they mean...

There's sight, there's wisdom, and there's motion.

The rest is just...seeing what happens."

Your challenge sounds awesome! I tried to use the sleep cycle app but eventually the fact that the only place i can put my phone is next to the bed won out. So I've bought a battery powered alarm clock that I can put on the other side of the room! Good luck with you're challenge, I bet you're gonna rock it!

Level 9 Pixie

I may not be the strongest, the fastest, or the bravest. But I'll be damned if I'm not trying my hardest.
17 STR ¦ 17 STA ¦ 13 CON ¦ 17 WIS ¦ 13 CHA ¦ 12 DEX

Latest Challenge! , Battle Log! , CHARACTERYAY

Happy new year! I'm back from the dead (read: sick, unmotivated, christmas-induced-food-comatose) and ready to cheer you on again! Let's rock this :D

Also, your rainbow quest sounds awesome. I might try this sometime. And yes, definitely good for you that there are hardly any veggies left to try out *woot*

"The way you spend your days is the way you live your life"

Challenges: Current | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Day one done!

• Five-a-day fruits and veggies: banana and orange for breakfast, carrots at lunch, spinach and tomatoes in the giant pile of pasta I'm eating right now.
  • Workout done and logged.
  • Up at 2:50, finished the second foundation series on Headspace (I started over) and made it to work on time. (Well, 2 after. The bar is actually pretty low here, so I've included up to 5:05am as "on time.")

I've used Sleepcycle (the whole Argus suite) for a while. It works nicely, though I have to say it's always early in the wake zone for me. That might be a calibration issue or I might just thrash a lot in the wee hours. :)

Mine doesn't seem to be quite right, either. My graphs imply I never ever stop moving... so maybe that has something to do with it. I even turned the sensitivity all the way down. (Isn't a BeautyRest mattress the one with the commercials where they dropped a bowling ball next to a glass of red wine? I don't feel like it should be that sensitive.)

Oh, Dryanuary, that's definitely a challenge all on its own. Looks like a good challenge overall, good luck!

Thanks! I'm hoping Drynuary doesn't turn out to be much of a challenge at all... but, I should be getting my wine any day now. That'll be a bit harder.

Your challenge sounds awesome! I tried to use the sleep cycle app but eventually the fact that the only place i can put my phone is next to the bed won out. So I've bought a battery powered alarm clock that I can put on the other side of the room! Good luck with you're challenge, I bet you're gonna rock it!

Thank you! I know the next logical step to get me out of bed is to move the alarm away from the bed... but... I just don't wanna.  :redface:

Happy new year! I'm back from the dead (read: sick, unmotivated, christmas-induced-food-comatose) and ready to cheer you on again! Let's rock this :D

Also, your rainbow quest sounds awesome. I might try this sometime. And yes, definitely good for you that there are hardly any veggies left to try out *woot*

Happy new year!! Welcome back from the dead, and thanks for the encouragement!

I... don't like the new character system. The all-or-nothing approach is really going to wear on my confidence. I could easily do away with the stat points (even if mine are a rainbow) but so far I don't like the new rules.

I haven't checked out the character system, but I don't think you have to stop doing the stat points if you don't want to.

Level 9 Amazon Druid
STR : 17 | DEX : 23 | STA : 22 | CON : 23 | WIS : 21 | CHA : 15
Challenges: Current, 8, 7.1, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3.1, 3, 2, 1
Battle Log

I... don't like the new character system. The all-or-nothing approach is really going to wear on my confidence. I could easily do away with the stat points (even if mine are a rainbow) but so far I don't like the new rules.

No idea about the new character system yet, either.

But I don't do the stat stuff, and I am totally fine with it. There are other ways to see whether something worked out well or whether it did not. Writing my challenge thread keeps me accountable, and keeping a personal journal helps, too.

I like your goals, and I keep my fingers crossed for you that the wine delivery won't interfere with Drynuary. 

Introducing rainbow-hued biofuel sounds as delicious as it sounds fun - though I have to say that it would be for me very challenging to make it to five servings per day… :redface: especially fruit. I love veggies, but fruit only in small doses.

FLUCTUAT  NEC  MERGITUR

FUELED BY PALEO

If you don't like it, don't use it. It's supposed to be complimentary and help you reach your goals, if it doesn't, just skip it. I get your point, though. I wish it was more like habitRPG with different ways to get XP (daily stuff, habit stuff, one-time stuff)

I haven't checked out the character system, but I don't think you have to stop doing the stat points if you don't want to.

Of course, but as the more new people come in on the new system, the less the original setup is going to be relevant, I think.

No idea about the new character system yet, either.

But I don't do the stat stuff, and I am totally fine with it. There are other ways to see whether something worked out well or whether it did not. Writing my challenge thread keeps me accountable, and keeping a personal journal helps, too.

I like your goals, and I keep my fingers crossed for you that the wine delivery won't interfere with Drynuary. 

Introducing rainbow-hued biofuel sounds as delicious as it sounds fun - though I have to say that it would be for me very challenging to make it to five servings per day… :redface: especially fruit. I love veggies, but fruit only in small doses.

I like the idea of the stats, but they really don't mean too much to me, honestly.

I like both fruits and vegetables. I just seem to have more fresh fruit available to me most of the time. 

If you don't like it, don't use it. It's supposed to be complimentary and help you reach your goals, if it doesn't, just skip it. I get your point, though. I wish it was more like habitRPG with different ways to get XP (daily stuff, habit stuff, one-time stuff)

I suppose you could always break up the goals into weekly chunks (or daily, but that seems tedious) so one missed day doesn't count as a "fail" exactly.

Food and morning goals on track for the week. I have a workout planned for today, and possibly tomorrow. I had the energy and motivation on Tuesday, but I was pretty sore. It's funny... immediately after my workout, I felt nothing. The morning after, nothing. I started to think I hadn't workout out that hard. Then about an hour into work, bending into mixing bowls and working with my hands/arms... Ow.

I'm not going to be counting my "days without a drink" because, a) it's an immediate fail if there's even one, and B) this isn't a sobriety thing, so it would feel kind of weird to do so. That said, I got my ClubW shipment yesterday, and bottles on the rack make the temptation a little more, well, tempting. 

Also, I had to renew my community garden plot this week, and have spent some time planning this year's garden already. (One important project is planting a sunflower wall to block out the abandoned car behind me in my user picture.) I was checking out my favorite seed website and noticed an info page with an incorrect photo and sent them an email... and they're giving me a free seed packet of my choice. Nitpicking pays sometimes.  :peaceful:

• Like 1

I wish I had a community garden plot, but most of the options here are too far away or too expensive. I would love to grow my own food. Does it take a lot of time to maintain?

Also, congrats on these workouts! Booh for DOMS. And yay for post-workout-motivation!! Looks like you're on the right track :)

I wish I had a community garden plot, but most of the options here are too far away or too expensive. I would love to grow my own food. Does it take a lot of time to maintain?

Also, congrats on these workouts! Booh for DOMS. And yay for post-workout-motivation!! Looks like you're on the right track :)

I'm incredibly lucky, as this one is right across the street. It takes a bit of time, yes. This year will be a little more difficult, as I'm now single and will have to do it all myself. I'm looking forward to it, though.

And thanks!!