Briniel

Happy new year everyone!! This is my 4th official challenge and my first one with the rangers *waves* I hung out with the adventurers June through October last year and had great success with getting fitter and healthier. Then there was a huge gap due to a bad cold, a bad challenge concept and a resulting lack of motivation. Then christmas happened. Now I'm back and I plan on rocking it!

I decided to join the rangers since the new adventurers description doesn't fit me anymore and I thought it's time for something new. My quests this challenge sound a lot like jack-of-all-trades so I hope I'll fit right in :)

My overall goal/motivation

This whole thing started last June when I saw a photograph of me that did not at all match up with my inner sense of what I feel/look like. I don't have a lot of weight to lose (I don't need to lose anything, but it wouldn't hurt, either) but I want to be fitter and slimmer and replace some of my fat with muscle. It's not only about how I look, though; I've realized during the last challenges that I feel better (physically and mentally) when I eat and act healthy. I want to feel that way again and I want to create habits that I can actually stick with. There's also stuff that I want to be able to do simply because it bugs me that I can't, but more on that later. If that's not tangible enough yet: I want to fit into several pairs of jeans I bought a few years ago and grew out of in a manner of months. I want to climb the stairs to my appartment without catching my breath. I want to be able to run to catch the bus without feeling completely winded afterwards (I'm getting there!).

My quests for this challenge

Get healthy again!

- drink at least 2l of water a day (tea counts, too)

- avoid industrial sugar and white flour

- eat more servings of vegetables than the week before

I have had good experiences with the first two during the last challenges to the point where they were second nature. I will use this challenge to get there again and gradually focus more on what I eat (instead of what I do not want to eat). The third quest is a step in that direction and will gradually get more difficult. I'm usually good on fruits, but my veggie consumption is something I can improve on.

I'll track the liters of fluid-intake, the number of meals that were healthy to my standards and the servings of vegetables each day.

Get moving again!

- do some sort of fitness activity 3 times a week (running, swimming, badminton, rowing or workout)

- do more yoga than the week before

- do more push-ups than the week before

I've had trouble with my knees recently so I'm not sure what kind of fitness I can manage and made the first quest here very flexible. I used to go running two times a week during the last challenges but my attempts to get back into this habit in December were not to my knees' liking. I'll see what I can do there (and get help from the doctor if I must).
I'm not really in the mood for yoga right now but I know that it felt great during the last challenges when I made it a daily routine. I also think it might help with the knees, so it's in there. I'll try to find routines that fit into my daily routine, maybe post-running or before bed or something.

The last quest here is something that's been bugging me for a while: I can not do one proper real push-up. I've tried many times, I've worked my way to knee push-ups last challenge but that progress is probably undone by now. I really really want to be able to do at least one, so I'll gradually do more and more knee push-ups each week until I get there. I'll keep in mind to do some pulling exercises, too (hence the rowing) and plenty of planks, but I didn't put up individual quests for that.

I'll track the number of fitness activities, the minutes of yoga practiced and the number of knee push-ups each day.

Life-Quests (since I haven't had enough, apparently)

There are several things that I want to work on in the new year. I've already made a plan for all the household work I've been neglecting, but it's not gonna be part of this challenge (I tried to incorporate it all, it's just too much). There are some things I really need to focus on, though, and some things that I've been wanting to prioritize for a long while so that's what I'll do.

- send out more job-applications than the week before

- do office work at least 6 hours a week

These are things I have to do. I currently work a 2-day-job that gets the bills paid and an office job (the second quest) that goes into paying back my student loans. There's not much left for me and I don't want to live on my boyfriend's money. I'll either find a second part-time job or a full-time job this year so I can finally be financially independent and have money left over at the end of the month.

- take time for singing 4 times a week

- read for work more than the week before

I sing in a jazz-choir and take singing lessons, these both count for the first one. Additionally, I want to take more time to practice, learn new songs, learn ALL the lyrics of songs I know and so on. The reading for work is for my part-time job where I need some more background knowledge for some new areas I will work on in the future. I've been wanting to do this for ages but never got around to it. So here goes.

I'll track the number of applications sent, the minutes of office work completed, the number of singing-sessions and the minutes of reading accomplished each day.

I know this sounds like a lot, but I've already slimmed it down considerably and some of my quests will allow me to ease into it gradually. Plus, my goal is to reach a solid 80% instead aiming for perfect and giving up the first instance something goes wrong. I know I can do it if I prioritize right (and stop wasting lots of hours on facebook and the likes) and I want to do it, if only to prove to myself that I can get my shit together ;)

Fancy spreadsheet incoming!!

gallery_40695_1878_53964.png

I haven't thought about stat points yet (I've heard there'll be a new system which might make them redundant?) so I may or may not add these later.

I added the stat points to the spreadsheet. I think I'm going to stick with this system for now. I also added a new statpoint category called "Willpower" because I realized I need one. It's like stamina for the mind *wooh*

I have thought about what to do in case of sickness or other unforseen circumstances. I will allow myself to make some adjustments if I really need to, for example

- reduce the number of fitness-activities if my knees give me too much trouble (e.g. if the only thing I can do is swimming, I will only manage to do that once or twice a week)

- change the "do more than last week" quests to "do at least as much as last week" if I struggle a lot, get sick or find it unrealistic (this might happen in the job-application quest)

- reduce the number of office work hours if there's not as much workload as expected

I will stick to my water and food quests (the first two) in any case. I know this is something I can do even when sick (in case of the water, especially when sick) and something that became a habit in the past, so these are non-negotiable.

That's all for now. I hope you all have an awesome start into 2016 and great success with everything you've set out to do. I'm looking forward to sharing part of the journey with you :))

Edit:

Mini-Feats!!

• Strength Feat: Complete a full body-weight workout, like I used to do; try my hardest to reach my old PRs
  • Agility Feat: do at least one NF yoga mobility video each day
  • Stamina Feat: go to the local pool again and see how many (all-out) lanes I can complete in a row without taking a rest
  • Ranger Class Feat: Animal Companions: have two clicker-training-sessions with my cats
  • Like 4

"The way you spend your days is the way you live your life"

Challenges: Current | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Welcome to the Rangers!

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

All... that... tracking.  I'm loving that.  Let's tackle 2016 and kick it in the shins, shall we?

[ Level ?? ]  Rurik the Windblade, the Blade Who Dances, Warhawk of the Steppes.

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges:1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik Harrgath became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

Welcome back! I missed your energy. 

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 46

2021 challenges:  46 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

Welcome to the Rangers!

Thank you!

All... that... tracking.  I'm loving that.  Let's tackle 2016 and kick it in the shins, shall we?

You haven't seen my household-chores-tracking-table yet. I'm going tracking-crazy this time. And yes, let's!

Welcome back! I missed your energy. 

Thank you!! I'm glad to report I'm back and have brought lots and lots of energy with me :D

Wow you are totally ready to take 2016 by storm! Your challenges all look good, and I know you will own it as you have in the past. I must learn from you how to make such nice spreadsheets...mine are merely functional. I am ready to follow along on what should be a great challenge!

Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you react to it - Charles Swindoll

Current Challenge

Typos? - I blame the phone

Happy new year! Looks like you have a good challenge set up to help you get back on track. Good luck!

Thank you! That's definitely the plan :)

Wow you are totally ready to take 2016 by storm! Your challenges all look good, and I know you will own it as you have in the past. I must learn from you how to make such nice spreadsheets...mine are merely functional. I am ready to follow along on what should be a great challenge!

*woosh*

I stole my spreadsheet design from someone around here... SomeGuyFromScotland, maybe? I don't remember. But they've become much fancier since I learned I can make the lines disappear by coloring the background white... and this year there are even spcial dotted lines. I've gone spreadsheet crazy.

Dat spreadsheet! 

I like your mix of fitness and life goals! Depending on what's going on with your knees, you might find that stretching out your hips/hip flexors/quads/hamstrings/calves will help. I know when I get tight through my quads and hip flexors my knees don't like it.

Sexy spreadsheets are back! :D

I think the knee issue started back in september or october when I tried deepening my squats. That's the first time I had trouble so I stopped doing those exercises. Then there was this break where I didn't do any physical activity at all and the knees where fine. When I started going for runs again in December, my knees started hurting the days afterwards, especially during resting or going down the stairs. Nowadays there's a slight discomfort all the time. It doesn't feel like a stretching issue, more like there's something in there that doesn't sit right and gets all bothered when under extensive strain. Ugh. But thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely try some stretches and yoga stuff to see if it helps. And if it doesn't, I still have done something for my challenge quests ;)

• Like 1

Thank you! That's definitely the plan :)

*woosh*

I stole my spreadsheet design from someone around here... SomeGuyFromScotland, maybe? I don't remember. But they've become much fancier since I learned I can make the lines disappear by coloring the background white... and this year there are even spcial dotted lines. I've gone spreadsheet crazy.

Sexy spreadsheets are back! :D

I think the knee issue started back in september or october when I tried deepening my squats. That's the first time I had trouble so I stopped doing those exercises. Then there was this break where I didn't do any physical activity at all and the knees where fine. When I started going for runs again in December, my knees started hurting the days afterwards, especially during resting or going down the stairs. Nowadays there's a slight discomfort all the time. It doesn't feel like a stretching issue, more like there's something in there that doesn't sit right and gets all bothered when under extensive strain. Ugh. But thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely try some stretches and yoga stuff to see if it helps. And if it doesn't, I still have done something for my challenge quests ;)

Im no doctor, so don't defer to me, but your knee pain sounds so much like what I dealt with. I had patello-femoral pain. Essentially the underside of my kneecap was inflamed so anytime pressure was put on the knee, ie going down stairs, I felt like there was a knife sticking out of my knees. The fix was stretching the hips, glutes, hamstrings and strengthening the quads and hip flexors. Good luck, and I want to know what a doctor tells you!

Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you react to it - Charles Swindoll

Current Challenge

Typos? - I blame the phone

Lots. Of. Work. O_o  So impressed.

Good luck!

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.

Adventures don't start until you get into the forest.

Im no doctor, so don't defer to me, but your knee pain sounds so much like what I dealt with. I had patello-femoral pain. Essentially the underside of my kneecap was inflamed so anytime pressure was put on the knee, ie going down stairs, I felt like there was a knife sticking out of my knees. The fix was stretching the hips, glutes, hamstrings and strengthening the quads and hip flexors. Good luck, and I want to know what a doctor tells you!

Huh, so pretty much what maegs suggested, right? Do you have any specific videos or exercises that helped you? Can't hurt to try them out... it definitely hurts inside the knee, though I think it's not as bad as what you describe... I'll keep you updated. The orthopaedist I went to a week ago thought it was a cold-induced inflammation, perscribed anti-inflammatory painkillers and told me to get some blood tests done to rule out some possible other causes which I can't remember. The results should be in any day now.

Lots. Of. Work. O_o  So impressed.

Good luck!

Thank you. It is quite a lot, I guess. We'll see how it goes :)

I found you!  Glad to be following along with you again - and as rangers no less!  Awesome goals this round; you are so much more ambitious than I am this month!  

Level 9 Ravenclaw Ranger

STR 16.25 | DEX 12 | STA 18.75 | CON 31.25 | WIS 20.5 | CHA 14.75
"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." --Michael Pollan
PREVIOUS CHALLENGES: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 CURRENT: 10

Your propensity for spotting all of my typing errors is quickly becoming one of your most endearing traits.  ;)

And I appreciate that.

• Like 1

[ Level ?? ]  Rurik the Windblade, the Blade Who Dances, Warhawk of the Steppes.

Challenges:1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik Harrgath became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

Following along, and adding to the chorus of whoo spreadsheets!

Whooooo! It feels so good to be back and see all these familiar faces :)

I found you!  Glad to be following along with you again - and as rangers no less!  Awesome goals this round; you are so much more ambitious than I am this month!  

Ranger power!! That's weird I've tried to not overdo it this time. When I started setting up this challenge I had almost twice as much ideas and I gradually kicked stuff out until it became somewhat manageable :D But remember my credo from last time, it's not a challenge if it isn't challenging me, so I had to keep some of the ambitious stuff in. I'm quite happy with the final result :)

Your propensity for spotting all of my typing errors is quickly becoming one of your most endearing traits.  ;)

And I appreciate that.

Well, I don't even know what propensity means. But leo.org does and it definitely fits. Thank you for finding an endearing way to say I like to nit-pick :D

• Like 3

Golly you're organised!!! Love the spreadsheets... I've never been able to make myself that dedicated :P which probably means I should work on that next challenge! Good luck with all your goals!

Check out my character here!

Previous challenges: one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven, twelve, thirteen, fourteen, fifteen, sixteen, seventeen, eighteen, nineteen,

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain.

Golly you're organised!!! Love the spreadsheets... I've never been able to make myself that dedicated :tongue: which probably means I should work on that next challenge! Good luck with all your goals!

A fancy spreadsheet helps me feeling fancy about my challenge and keeping motivated. I wouldn't want to spoil that beauty with lots of zeros and red panels, right? (yes, I will color code the panels, depending on whether I accomplished what I had planned or not... it's awesome :D )

Mmm... that spread... that sheet.

With your push ups, I don't know if it will work for you but I found it easier to work on a real push up if I did them off the side of a small table... Which I just learned is a decline push up :tongue:

Feet-On-Bench-Pushup.jpg

Are you trying to kill me? That looks even harder than a regular push-up. I'll try knee push-ups today and see how out of shape I am.

So good to see you around again. Welcome to the Rangers!

Thank you! Glad to be back :)

You're so organized. I'm so jealous.

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Profile photo is ancient but I'm too lazy to change it. 

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Ranger power!! That's weird I've tried to not overdo it this time. When I started setting up this challenge I had almost twice as much ideas and I gradually kicked stuff out until it became somewhat manageable :D But remember my credo from last time, it's not a challenge if it isn't challenging me, so I had to keep some of the ambitious stuff in. I'm quite happy with the final result :)

That's a great credo - go you!  I'm trying to build slowly so I don't burn out.  That whole 'willpower begets willpower' thing, right?  Maybe by February or March I'll be up for some truly challenging challenges.

• Like 2

Level 9 Ravenclaw Ranger

STR 16.25 | DEX 12 | STA 18.75 | CON 31.25 | WIS 20.5 | CHA 14.75
"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." --Michael Pollan
PREVIOUS CHALLENGES: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 CURRENT: 10

Well, I don't even know what propensity means. But leo.org does and it definitely fits. Thank you for finding an endearing way to say I like to nit-pick :D

It isn't enough to speak type the words when you can convey a feeling with them instead.  ;)

Week 1 Day 1

Ah, it feels good to be back :) I had quite a nice day today. I spend a lot of time on fb and NF in the morning, but made up for it by being super busy in the afternoon.

Get healthy again!

- drink at least 2l of water/tea a day - done! I finished it just a few minutes ago so there might even be some extra later in the evening

- avoid industrial sugar and white flour- jup! had fruit-yoghurt-musli for breakfast and brokkoli-noodle-bacon-casserole for dinner, so everything's fine

- eat more servings of vegetables - the brokkoli counts as one... that's it, I think.

Get moving again!

- do some sort of fitness activity 3 times a week - I had intended to go swimming this morning, but the local pool is closed on mondays so this has been postponed until wednesday. no other fitness activity today

- do more yoga than the week before - no yoga today. maybe I'll do some before bedtime, maybe not.

- do more push-ups than the week before - no push-ups so far. But I'm not bothered, this is a weekly goal and I only need to do one ;)

Life-Quests (since I haven't had enough, apparently)

- send out more job-applications than the week before - none so far

- do office work at least 6 hours a week - 1 hour of office work done

- take time for singing 4 times a week - 30 minutes done! practiced some pieces for the jazzchoir I'm in :)

- read for work more than the week before - none so far

Yes, I will color-code my progress. Green is good, red is bad, brown (because yellow is hard too see) is meh. There are a lot of quests that don't require me to do something everyday, so there'll be a lot of brown, I guess. Maybe I should pick another color. I don't really like brown... grey is n/a for when I didn't plan to do something and subsequently didn't do it.

Anyways, I also did some household chores, went grocery shopping and prepared my food for tomorrow, did some work in preparation for work tomorrow, made another pretty spreadsheet for my working hours last year so I can see wether I still have some vacation left (I think I do) and took starting measurements for this challenge. So I'm feeling rather productive :)

I'm off to play cards with my usual monday-evening-Doppelkopf-group (no idea what that is called in english), so I will even have been social today. Yay me!

• Like 3