Munin seeks an older path

Ambisagrus

Greeting, friends. This challenge sees me returning to an older ethic of diet and exercise while continuing to cultivate musical skills. In many ways, it represents a return to the things that surrounded me in childhood -- music, imagination, natural exercise and my grandmother's garden. Like one or two others, I've chosen to also renew an interest in the elements to frame the work:

Earth: Body. Focus on Nutrition
Michael-Pollan-Garden.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_

Following the best advice I've ever seen via 'In Defense of Food' - eat (real) food, not too much, mostly plants - my goals are:
1. Plant-based food in every meal, eaten first.
2. Smaller portions, eaten slowly. Slowly. Not like a starving warthog.
3. More water, less caffeine and alcohol. One large Nalgene per day of water; smaller cups for caffeine and alcohol.

Air: Mind. Focus on Imagination
the-monk-2.jpg

For MANY years, a friend and I have threatened to unleash a fantasy novel upon the hordes of nerdy readers we love so dearly. This year, we agreed to a structure:
1. One page or 15 minutes per day. Make-ups are allowed, since not every day is conducive to writing, but the norm should be one 15-minute writing block (using pomodoro method).

Fire: Action. Focus on Fitness
o-RUNNING-MAN-NATURE-facebook.jpg

This April, 11 of my friends and I will tackle Ragnar SoCal. I'm leg 4 (5k, 10k, 10k), which is well within my comfort zone. Still, we need to prepare and I need to do some two-a-days eventually. Also, I've discovered a love of the ergometer (aka rowing machine). Also also, I accepted a 1000 mile challenge for the year and a 'streaking' paradigm of 20-mile weeks. So...

1. Run 20 miles per week in any configuration, at least 4 runs per week. No make-ups.
2. Row at least twice a week for 30 minutes.

Water: Heart. Focus on Music
abstract-music-notes-water-digital-art-w

I've been learning bass guitar for several challenges now, and will just continue:
1. Two lessons per week on Scott's Bass Academy,
2. 15 minutes of practice every day. Again, make-ups are permitted.

So there's my outline. I have accountability for every goal except music, but that one is the easiest to want to do. With the new format, I'm hoping to step up/tweak/continue on the next couple of challenges as well.

Reward: um....not sure. I'll think on this one.

• Like 1

"Magic?" the old man replied, his raspy voice curling around the pipe like smoke,

"There's no such thing as that; not the way they mean...

There's sight, there's wisdom, and there's motion.

The rest is just...seeing what happens."

I like how you've done each task for an element, and I'm excited to see where you go with the books. Someday, I will focus on writing a novel, but baby steps. Also, how useful/efficient is the pomodoro method? I've heard it been thrown around, but never knew anyone who actually USED it. And your enduracne /whistles. That's really impressive! 

• Like 1

Panda  

Hobbit | Drifter | Level 3

STR 6 | DEX 5 | STA 2 | CON 5 | WIS 7 | CHA 2

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Training | Challenge 1 2 3 4 | Epic Quest

how useful/efficient is the pomodoro method?

Thanks! It has worked pretty well for me at work. I think the actual method says use 30 minute blocks, but since my goal is only 15 minutes I figure it can be modified. There are certain tasks that the method fits better than others -- writing, for instance. I can't do it all the time, because it works best when I can close the door, put on classical music and really dig in. The office is too social to do that more than 3 or 4 times per day. That said, the first half hour for email and a few sessions of working on professional papers has enabled me to consistently block off other times for meetings and exercise. I like it, but I only follow it loosely. :)

"Magic?" the old man replied, his raspy voice curling around the pipe like smoke,

I like your food goals. I've never read the book... somehow. Good luck with your new habits!  :joyous:

Thanks! It was actually a TV show -- on PBS! :)

Older paths are good. Following, encouraging, expecting results. ;)

Thank you! :)

Week One:

Earth:

My diet was better than usual this week. I didn't cut processed foods out entirely, but decreased their consumption significantly by eating natural foods as a preference. I succeeded on decreasing alcohol (smaller cups work wonders) but failed on ''more water than coffee.' Sort of meh on eating slowly...sometimes yes, sometimes no. I did drink more slowly...but let's call it a fail for the week. More water would have made it a pass.

Air:

I've been reworking some previously written material, but have added a little bit of new stuff. I'm on page 9 of the revision, and have definitely given at least 15 minutes daily. It's coming along!

Fire:

Fire dominated this week as I needed to get used to daily running again. I made my 20 mile goal, but it took 5 runs and I made Wednesday a rest day. Running slower ate my time for rowing, so that disappeared this week. It's hard to call it a fail, because the running was good...but I didn't meet my overall goal.

Water:

I only practiced four days, but managed to get a few 45 minute sessions in, so I made my time. I'm considering this a pass, because it was so much fun and I feel like I made pretty good progress on finger work this week.

2/4 -- air and water win; earth and fire fail. That makes week one a fail overall. Keeping a minimum 3/4 to win, that means I need to win every other week to win the challenge.

And now, Halestorm.

For all your challenges, it sounds like its going quite well! Maybe not what exactly you were aiming for, but still an improvement, which is a key and really good focus, so congratulations! Could you give yourself half marks for challenges? :P However, I'm sure that you're going to smash the rest of the challenge, with your new-found insight into your own abilities and strengths. 

Panda  

Hobbit | Drifter | Level 3

STR 6 | DEX 5 | STA 2 | CON 5 | WIS 7 | CHA 2

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Training | Challenge 1 2 3 4 | Epic Quest

For all your challenges, it sounds like its going quite well! Maybe not what exactly you were aiming for, but still an improvement, which is a key and really good focus, so congratulations! Could you give yourself half marks for challenges? :P However, I'm sure that you're going to smash the rest of the challenge, with your new-found insight into your own abilities and strengths.

Thanks! I'm viewing the challenge as a goal to meet, so I'm cool with failing week 1. If you never fail, you're not trying, right? :)

Great start!

It is inspiring that you like your progress in all goals so much. Even if they don't meet your pass criteria!

Thats an awesome attitude and will build some decent momentum pretty fast =)

• Like 1

Fate whispers to the warrior: "You cannot withstand the storm."

The warrior whispers back:
 "
I am the storm."

Thanks! Got week 2 rolling with a run this AM...not long but enough to jump start. We'll try to keep it rolling.

• Like 1

Well, week 2 was a flat tire. Conference at work ate my entire schedule. :/

Here's to week 3.