ShadowLion

Theme for 2016

During a Solstice ritual with a couple of friends, I had a very clear image of a driving a stake into the ground. Attached was a leather thong that bound my ankle to the stake. I knew the image referred to a story I read many years ago of a Native American warrior, but I could not remember the details, only that it was an act of total commitment. Once again, the internet delivers:

gallery_17054_2106_24940.jpg

Attached to each dog rope was a picket-pin [used to tether horses].

The pin was driven into the ground as a mark of resolve in combat.

When a Dog Soldier was staked to the ground in order to cover the retreat of his companions,

he was required to remain there even if death was the consequence.

The Dog Man could pull the pin from the ground only if his companions reached safety

or another Dog Soldier released him from his duty.

From "Cheyenne Dog Soldiers," by Richard Grimes

I'm kind of glad I didn't remember the details of the story! The more I read about the Dog Soldiers the more respect I have and the more intimidated I become. Nevertheless, I am holding to my intuitive vision and planting my stake into the ground.

Focus and Motivation

No doubt this will be a challenging year. To in some small way embody the ideals and values of warriors of that caliber will be a tremendous stretch, one in which I hope I can use them as inspiration and example without faltering or giving any disrespect. I see my primary focus this year as being COMMITMENT. My primary motivation to get healthier (on all levels) and stay that way, is to be present for my family, friends, and associates.

With the above in mind, and knowing that there are many changes coming to Nerd Fitness, I am keeping my goals simple and succint. I suspect that many of what would normally have been side quests will fit better into the coming "Epic Quest" system, and I am sure that DarK_Raider and Rurik are hatching mini-challenge plans and any number of other surprises for the future...

Dragon%20Hatching%20Jewelry%20Trinket%20

Challenge Goals

1. Go the Distance

Average of 15 miles per week, for a total of at least 60 miles for the challenge.

Going for easy level of difficulty still, just focused on increasing mileage for now. Carefully, steadily.

2. Wait and Watch for the Enemy; Stand Your Ground

Squat 10 mins per day, 6 days per week, 6 hours for the challenge.

This is to stretch and release tight muscles from sitting at a computer for so much of the day.

Stand for increasing times each day I work at GP, starting with 10 minutes of every hour.

This one is a tracking goal, not a total time goal for this challenge, at least until I know how much my bum leg will take per day. I purchased a new stand for my computer that lets me easily turn my regular desk into a standing desk. I plan to install that as soon as I return to work and add standing to my daily routine for the last 5 weeks of the challenge.

3. Eat to Win

Lose 4 pounds during the January Challenge

Do this by eating healthy foods - lots of fruits and veggies, moderate amounts of whole grains, small amounts of meat, and very little processed food, drinking lots of water, and getting plenty of sleep, fresh air, and relaxation.

4. CyberWarrior

Learn - Complete the cyber security course I am taking.

Practice - Participate in at least one exercise through the AZCWR (Arizona Cyber Warfare Range).

Share - Organize and promote the upcoming Code Sisters Cyber-Security Workshop.

Not sure if I am going to build a story around this or not. I think I will wait until after the 4th to decide that, once I see the new features on Nerd Fitness.

Hoka hey!

(Yes, I know that's Lakota/Dakota, not Cheyenne,

and it doesn't mean what Hollywood thinks it does...

But it makes a pretty good war cry.)

Let's go kill this challenge!

• Like 13

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Reserved for stuff related to my theme for this year

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Reserved for Epic Quest items

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Reserved for weekly tracking updates and spread sheet stuff

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Reserved for Systems Design stuff

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Reserved for Octalysis Project

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Reserved  for /* SURPRISE! */

med_gallery_17054_2106_89816.jpg

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Staking a claim to follow along.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

So pumped for another ShadowLion challenge!

[ Level ?? ] Thunderbro Maximus of the Thunderlords Legion

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

Looking forward to following this challenge, ShadowLion.  Much respect, dog soldier.

Thanks! I think it's going to be a great year!

Staking a claim to follow along.

Great to have you aboard!

So pumped for another ShadowLion challenge!

Will do my best!

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Interesting bit of history. Thanks for sharing.

So much on the internet... Here's a painting of a Dog Soldier with his sash pinned to the earth with a lance. I would definitely call that commitment!

a9b75550ccc7b6025cdb44771b5d6fc7.jpg

Wow, Cyber Security, good luck with that.

"I knew he was bluffing"

Thanks. I'm just learning some basics, the kind of stuff that any web developer should be aware of, but the opportunity to have access to the range and participate even at a beginner level is just too good to pass up. 

I'm driving a stake into the ground here!!! Watching listening feeling learning!

Let's tear this challenge apart!

Yes! Hoka hey!

The Dog Soldier history is so interesting. Committed to following you.

Thanks! This should be a great challenge for all of us!

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Hoping to pop in and see how a good friend is going with her challenge.

Woden uses ravens, I use an iphone.

• Like 1

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

Hoping to pop in and see how a good friend is going with her challenge.

Hey, Thom! Happy Belated Solstice!

As if I wasn't gonna follow my greatest NF inspiration...

This whole planting your stake in the ground business makes some cross-thread surprises of my own a lot easier. Once again, the collective Ranger hivemind at work!

Just what are you up to, D_R? You got me curious now...

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

And a merry solstice to you as well good friend.

• Like 2

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

Great challenge goals, good luck with them. I'm also doing a distance based running goal, but I chose to do 60 kilometers not 60 miles! 60 miles is seriously impressive! 

• Like 1

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

Whoo hoo! 

• Like 1

Level 75 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59