the pen gets mightier

thewrittennerd

Hey there! I'm 'back' for my second attempt at a challenge - I didn't record through the end of my first one here, so I'm gonna stick it out for a full first round with the rebels before I start posting to a guild. :tongue:

I'm Kathryn! I'm a massage therapist whose world was completely changed when I went to school for that. I'd never been very active before, and I went into that field focusing more on the mental health benefits, but I came out with a whole new way of looking at the human body and our relationship to movement and posture. I've been expanding that interest and knowledge ever since, and last fall I started college for an undergrad in exercise physiology. The goal is a doctorate of physical therapy so I can keep expanding that scope of practice and know-how. I'm very passionate about sharing this with others!

But it's both weird and exhilarating to be back at school after such a long break! My own health really fell by the wayside as I got overwhelmed with things, although I'm already doing much better than how I handled my workload in high school. I've got a 4.0 (which is better than I ever even dared to imagine for me), but also a couple extra pounds and - more importantly to me - the loss of most of my good eating habits and exercise. Pretty much everything except school suffered for the past 15 weeks, so I'm trying to build back up some good habits and get some steam rolling before the next semester hits.

I've been a reader and lurker for a couple years around here, and honestly Nerd Fitness was what spurred me on to trying a lot of things I'd put off or been too scared to. I've been a World's Okay-est Runner as of April 2014, which marked the first time I'd ever started actually running in my free time, ever. I've since been in a few handfuls of 5ks and really enjoy it, but after considering the time and potential-joint-wear involved, I've decided against packing on miles (an old goal having been a marathon) and decided to just train for shorter-distance speed. The goal is to add a 10k road race this year; I've got a few normal 5ks I do annually and I'm signed up for the 'Rugged Maniac' 5k obstacle course this September!

BUT. This challenge focuses on a different pattern of movement for me! I'd always secretly sighed at all the 'lost time' from my childhood where I didn't do any sports or gymnastics. I'm going to go ahead and follow that dream and try out aerial silks for this challenge! And, y'know, supportive things that've gotten away from me.

My three specific goals for this challenge!

1. follow my chosen workout routine (2x/week) & go to aerial silks class (1x/week)

// success will be based on missing no more than 3 workouts (out of 12) this challenge! so far: 11/12

2. in bed by 11 for the first week, 10:45 for the second, 10:30 for the third, and 10:15 for the fourth! sleep has fallen by the wayside, and I miss it dearly. so why is it so hard to go to bed before midnight?

// success will be based on missing no more than 5 bedtimes (out of 26) this challenge! so far: 16/26

3. at least one serving of vegetables per day; doesn't matter if it's expertly crafted together as a meal or if I'm just heating up a frozen baggie to cram them in my facehole, it's just gotta happen
// success will be based on missing no more than 5 servings (out of 26) this challenge! so far: 21/26

If I succeed: 
I get to buy that neat-o wooden brush/scrubber/massager for the shower, because heck yes self-massaging.
If I fail: no coffee money for a week, and an extra $40 in savings. which helps me, but also ouch. 

I try not to check into things online TOO often, as that creates bad chains of me checking other, less-productive websites, but I'll be making an effort to update this as often as I reasonably can! And I'll be looking around at everyone else's, as well. Good luck to all of us!

• Like 2

Did someone say aerial silks? Yay! I started about two years ago, now. You'll love it. (and learn to live with the associated bruises, burns and other silks pains) :)

There are a few of us circus-y types over in the Assassin's guild. Feel free to pop over into the Assassin's Den (our chat thread) and say hello!

Have a great challenge!

I encourage you to check other newbies and support and follow some of them. If you have a solid group of people behind you, there is no end to what you can do.

Race: Halfling     Class: Rebel

Recruit 1st 2nd 3rd 4th  5th 6th  7th  8th 9th 10th  11th 12th 13th  14th  15th

Current Challenge

Writer's Guild

Fictionfirst Used Books (Feel free to like my page!)

DID SOMEONE SAY AERIAL!?!? :D! Oh hai!!!! I am one of the assassin ambassadors as well as an aerialist so I of course must say HELLLOOOOO and welcome back to the rebellion!

We assassins are a friendly bunch with a love of SO MUCH ENTHUSIASM and also cat GIFS. (And of course we are also badass aspiring to be ninja people!) With your aerial and bodyweight workout goals I think you would fit right in with us!

I will be checking in on you throughout the challenge and If you have any questions please ask away and by all means please stop by our guild threads and say hello!

Here are some posts that may be of interest to you:

The Assassin Guild Info, FAQs & Announcements(official assassiny challenge info)

The Assassins' Den guild chat thread (come talk to us! ridiculous cat GIFs encouraged!)
The Assassin Phonebook (what are current assassins doing?)

Also good luck with all your school work! I know it can be super hard to keep on top of new fitness goals on top of a busy school schedule!!

NINJA ASSASSIN GYMNAST CAT! :)

tumblr_myzybqqUuM1sedjuto1_400.jpg

Assassin extraordinaire!!

Current Challenge

5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34

35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41

sylph: hey there! I think I posted in your thread a little while ago. I'm super excited to start trying out aerial silks! I'm fully aware the learning curve is probably going to be immensely steep for me, but if the environment is as supportive as I'm hoping it will be (my first class is this Sunday the 10th!) then I'm going to make sure I muscle up the discipline to stick with it. I'd already noticed my goals seem to align with the Assassin guild for now (and for most of the foreseeable future), so I'll be checking them out further for sure!

petefeet: thanks!

dancezwithkittehz: thanks a bunch! haha I was wondering if an Assassin guild ambassador would come in ;) As I mentioned above to sylph, I'm very excited to be trying out aerial stuff and will be checking out the Assassins guild further! I can pretty much guarantee that's where my next challenge is gonna go. :) And thanks for the good luck wishes about school! I've never tried so hard academically in my life, haha, it's worth it but also just so incredibly time-consuming, I'm hoping my time organization skills improve this second semester! I was good for the first month or so and then I started teetering off the edge... 

--

As for a general update for this thread! It's Tuesday, which means I've already gotten through 2 workouts this week (the 3rd one will be tomorrow - this first week is all bodyweight work outs, but my first official silks class will be next Sunday the 10th!), and I've been meeting all my veggie requirements so far. I've already missed one 'in bed by 11' rule, but I'm not gonna let that ruin my ability for keeping that up otherwise. :) This is my third week of trying out a new bodyweight workout system and I'm enjoying it so far! I'm gonna try to get some photos taken so I can keep them as comparisons for progress photos for myself, just to help keep track of things. (Since my weight will mean a lot less than the visual journey, as I'm not going to go down TOO much in weight no matter what - I'm 5'6" and ~152. For me, possible weight loss will be incidental to getting more fit, although I'd always been in the mid-130s to lower-140s, and this still represents me at a personally 'heavier' weight than my 'normal'. Less concerned with the weight itself than what it means, though, and what it means is that I need to make more time for me to get moving!) 

I'm also going to go through my first post and add in the negative and positive reinforcements, if I fail or if (when!) I ace this challenge. I think having something to look forward to will help me focus. ;) 

• Like 2

It sounds like you are off to a good start! :)

I too have a goal to get in bed by 11. I am mostly successful so far! (I am by nature a night owl, but I have a gnarly commute that requires I wake up way too early for me at 6, ugh!)

I do warn that if you get seriously into aerial/ strength training, that depending on your body type your weight may actually go up because muscle is heavier. It really depends on your body tendancies. For example starsapart I think actually has dropped in lbs throughout her getting crazy buff, but I on the other hand keep getting heavier the stronger I get. I am much much smaller in measurements, but the actual weight goes up because I am replacing light fluffiness with dense muscle! I think progress photos are a great idea, and maybe taking measurements, to track things because those will let you know actual size you are losing vs looking at weight which can be fiddly!  (I am super short and muscle tastic. I've always had super muscular legs and they keep getting denser and denser though not actually any bigger. My sizes in clothes have gone down but my lbs have gone up from 145 to around 156 last I checked and I wouldn't be surprised if it has gone up more actually! I should check! I'm 5 ft tall. My profile picture is me about 3 months ago and I have noticeably shrunk down in any areas that had fat remaining as well as in my face since then.)

I hope you love your aerial class! When I started I literally could not lift myself at all and I could barely do any skills but I kept at it and had SO MUCH FUN and inspite of getting my ass thoroughly kicked I stuck with it. I am now 2 years in and I get more and more in love with aerial the longer I keep at it! If you have to modify things down to conditioning exercises vs the actual skills don't fret. We all have been through that and I guarantee the muscles and skills will come with time! :D

• Like 1

Current Challenge

5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34

Getting to bed on time is hard when there's so many OTHER things you could be doing! But then the morning comes and you have to get up, and that entire plan falls apart. I'm trying to remember how crummy I feel when I've underslept, to convince myself to go to bed earlier! It's hit and miss, but I'm sure we'll get there! :) 

Thanks for the reassurance! I'm familiar with the phenomenon - it's why I tried to emphasize that I'm going to be using mostly non-weight measurements to keep track of me. But it's always nice to hear others think the same way about their size and health! That's why I think photos might be best. I COULD take measurements in inches, too, but I figure my clothes will let me know when things change, hah! When I first started running, I dropped weight rapidly - I'd been about 135-140 since throughout high school, but I dropped down to 124 at my lowest after just a few months. That equaled about two pant sizes for me. When I added weightlifting, though, I managed to gain up to about 145 - while staying the same exact size, which blew my mind and was a really neat, personal proof of the fact that muscle weighs more than fat! But, I dropped back down around when I started school - because I stopped working out - and I've slowly been climbing back up in weight despite not exercising, so I know that what I've got right now is mostly a higher BF%, not muscle tricking my scale. I'm VERY eager for that to be the case, though, if that's the body type I end up adopting through this exercise! :P That's fantastic to hear about you, though, good for you! 

I can't do a pull-up yet, but that's one of the things I'm working on! I'm fully expecting to not be very good at anything, but I'm just going to keep telling myself that that's temporary. I've already gotten better at the workout I'm doing, and progressing through some of the exercises, so I know there's hope, haha! It's nice to hear someone else started from zero and worked their way up. :) 

I finally officially signed up for the Sunday class today, after making that earlier post! So excited. 

• Like 2

Continuing through strong! I've hit all my challenges so far, and even threw in an extra run yesterday. It was after my workout, though, and I felt like my legs had gone through a woodchipper afterwards, so I think I'm gonna try to stick with runs being on days where I'm not doing the bodyweight stuff! 

I have one pretty big dietary (and monetary) indulgence that's been causing me grief, and that's buying coffees at my favorite local coffee place every morning! So I've now made a deal with myself that I can only buy a coffee for every day I work out - which means 3 coffees a week, maybe 4 if I add on a run. It's less to limit the coffees themselves (although tragically, 3 coffees a week WOULD be a decrease) but also to just keep me thinking about when I'm buying them. I'm making it a mindful decision instead of just habit, and while it's hard to Drive On By, I know it'll get easier! I'll be keeping this up throughout this challenge, as I think it'll help with a) my sugar intake, but especially b ) my wallet. :)

• Like 1

Oh coffee. I feel you on this too. Luckily the sugar thing has never been my issue (I like mine with half and half but no sugar), but UGH so EXPENSIVE!  For me I drink coffee daily but I make it myself to save $. Limiting yourself to a specific number per week seems like a sound way to go with this!

It's good that you are figuring out what works for you with workouts! Even if you had to have deeeeed legs for a day to figure it out! Hehehe. I feel like when a run or a workout are both in the "hard" effort for you territory it is a lot to do both in one day! I can usually only manage multiple workout type things in a day if I am not going full on into the hard effort territory with at least one of them. So maybe I can manage two "moderate" and "easy" workout things in a day but definitely not multiple hard effort things. (And times I HAVE done that have...not gone well. Lol. Yay experimenting!)

I am glad to hear your challenge is going well so far! :D

Current Challenge

Hey there! Just found your thread here. How has your week been? Did you get to the aerial silks class yesterday? How was it? [emoji2] I've actually tried silks twice as well. I was waaay to weak to be able to do anything other than stand on a knot, but it was super fun anyways! I wish I could do aerial silks to. [emoji4]

I'm really impressed by all you guys who hade bed time goals in your challenges. Those things are hard to comply to! But just the same, so important if inte wants to stay healthy or get results from workouts.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

dancezwithkittehz: I'm thinking I may buy a bag of coffee for at-home brewing to save money, yes! So far, keeping track of the number (and limiting that) is working okay to wean myself off in the meantime. 

I think the 'hard' vs 'moderate' or 'easy' workouts thing is a good point! Just the week prior, I'd had a bodyweight workout and then went for a jog, and I felt tired but fine, but I think I went easier on both aspects then. I pushed very hard in the bodyweight workout last Thursday and should have known better than to go for a run a few hours later, lesson learned!

fridelisan: Hi! I was actually going to post today about the silks class, because I did indeed go! It was amazing. I had been a liiiiittle worried, in the back of my head, that maybe I'd built up my interest in silks too much based on nothing: I've never done anything more 'acrobatic' than basketball and a little amateur yoga! I'd say my biggest fitness weakness is a lack of coordination. But I LOVED the class I went to on Sunday! I'd say a strength of mine is being very reasonable about the fact that getting good at things takes a while, too, so I'm not at all bothered by the fact that I couldn't do 'much'. I already did more than I expected to do! Just a basic footwrap (I managed an aerial footwrap/to do it while in the air ONCE, during about a dozen attempts, but I was getting tired by the time the instructor had me try it, and the coordination was difficult - I'm sure I'll get better!), a basic climb, some simple poses, and some variation on a straddle - she knotted it low to the ground and I basically jumped/fell back into it. I felt very cool doing an inversion the first day, haha! 

When I got to the class, there had apparently been some sort of scheduling mishap, though, because it was for a Lyra class - but there were more of us than 'usual' (5, since me and someone else both were confused about the time, pff). It was me, 3 other newbies, and a very talented 11 y/o who'd clearly been going there for quite some time. So we did dual lyra and silks for half the class, then just silks, with just me and the 11 y/o! I loved the small scale of it. And trying out the lyra was neat too! For some reason, doing 'coffin' in that was terrifying for me (as far as feeling like I was going to fall), but the silks felt entrancingly instinctive for me, I loved them! (Lyra was also fun, I'm just thinking I probably picked the right one to start with!) 

We did something like this and I had a nice surprise! Either my body awareness was lying to me, or I did my deepest-ever attempt at the splits like that - and it felt completely fine. I've never been very flexible, but I recently was working on it since I knew I was going to start these classes, so I know what my attempt at splits usually feel like. I'd heard before that strength is a huge component of flexibility, because your muscles will only let you go into positions if you're strong enough to hold yourself there and your body 'senses' that it's safe. I'd wondered on the facts behind that, but I'm also thinking that perhaps the muscle engagement necessary to attempt the splits while suspended like that IS what helped me! Food for thought, for me at least! 

I'm VERY excited for my next class, and my roommate will actually be coming with me this next Sunday. :) Thanks to all the other silks/pole/assassin people who posted in here to encourage me!

• Like 3

I love, Love, LOVE hearing about people's first experiences on the silks. It sounds like you had a great time, learned some things and did really well for your first time (a foot knot in the air on day one? Amazing!)

I, too, have my deepest splits while in the air. I attribute it to gravity giving a hand and no friction between me and the floor to get into position means I don't have time to convince myself that I should really stop since there's no way I can possibly be flexible enough to go any farther. :D

• Like 2

It was a very messy knot after several attempts! And my big toe was caught initially. But it happened, and felt very rewarding - that was hard to maneuver! Haha I BET it's fun to read people going 'I was FLYING it was AMAZING' after their first class! I couldn't believe how much I loved it. It's absolutely the 'why am I working out anyway?' answer that I needed, I can already feel more motivation to keep up with my bodyweight workouts at home, if it'll help me do more in class.

That's a good point! Gravity definitely helped, but I hadn't thought about the lack of friction from the ground! It WAS pretty nice not having to constantly scoot my feet forward or backwards, and hanging from my arms felt nicer than awkwardly reaching to the floor with my fingertips for balance and support.

Unfortunately, the only silks instructor this gym has is going on maternity leave at the end of February! Best of luck to her kiddo and she, but it means I either try out something else at that gym (they offer several different things, but I think she's the only lyra teacher as well) or I find a new gym. I'm okay with the idea of trying pole in the meantime, buuuuut I'm very hyped about silks right now and looked around for more gyms. There's two that are further away but, admittedly, seem even nicer/more formalized than this one, that actually have classes divided by skill levels. They're set up in 'sessions' at both of those gyms, so I'm thinking I'm going to attend one of their 'beginner' level sessions once I can't go to this first gym anymore. 

On one hand, it's a shame there's not more gyms. On the other, I know how rare this is compared to other athletic forms, so I'm kind of relieved I have so many options at all, even if these other gyms are each an hour away (!). I'm telling myself it's not so bad, and it's for ME, so! (Besides, I'm sure I'll always want to sit down for an hour after a class...or two hours... :P )

I love, Love, LOVE hearing about people's first experiences on the silks. It sounds like you had a great time, learned some things and did really well for your first time (a foot knot in the air on day one? Amazing!)

Seconding this that I most definitely did not get a footlock (I think that's what you mean by footnot!) in the air on day one...Or month one. Or I think maybe even by month 3. hahahahaha. I was sooooooooooo weaaaaaaaaak when I started. This is definitely an accomplishment!!

Unfortunately, the only silks instructor this gym has is going on maternity leave at the end of February! Best of luck to her kiddo and she, but it means I either try out something else at that gym (they offer several different things, but I think she's the only lyra teacher as well) or I find a new gym. I'm okay with the idea of trying pole in the meantime, buuuuut I'm very hyped about silks right now and looked around for more gyms. There's two that are further away but, admittedly, seem even nicer/more formalized than this one, that actually have classes divided by skill levels. They're set up in 'sessions' at both of those gyms, so I'm thinking I'm going to attend one of their 'beginner' level sessions once I can't go to this first gym anymore. 

On one hand, it's a shame there's not more gyms. On the other, I know how rare this is compared to other athletic forms, so I'm kind of relieved I have so many options at all, even if these other gyms are each an hour away (!). I'm telling myself it's not so bad, and it's for ME, so! (Besides, I'm sure I'll always want to sit down for an hour after a class...or two hours... :tongue: )

What a bummer that she is going on maternity leave, but that's nice that there are maybe some other gym options for you. My gym is a pretty formal place where things are divided by skill levels but we don't do the thing where you have to sign up for full sessions. I think it'd definitely be worth trying it out! I think a big part of how much you will like  somewhere will depend on how you like the instructor and possibly also your fellow students; for me my aerial people any my dance people have become like family to me over time so aerial classes/dance classes are not just WOOHOO cool class but they are also quality time with some of my favorite people!!

I am sooo glad to hear you are enjoying things!!

Current Challenge

Oh gosh, it's surprising both of you with the air footlock! I'm pretty pleased with myself then, haha. I think part of my ability to get it at all might have been that the instructor didn't give any indication that it was hard (well, she said it was, but she also clearly thought I could get it down!) and so I didn't psych myself out at all! I also took 3 weeks to do bodyweight workouts at home before signing up for classes, which I think really helped. I'm starting from nothing as far as gymnastic ability, but I'm at least a few levels in on strength! Thanks for all the encouragement : ) What I could NOT do, however, was jump up into a straddle/inverted straddle (something like this on a knot, but I didn't hold the two pieces together, just let myself hang) until she lowered the knot to just about my waist. I assume that's going to take a combination of core and leg strength to leap up into from the ground!

Hearing that your gym-mates are a community of friends in and of themselves is actually really nice to hear! I hope I'll get that as time goes on. I could use more in-person places where I get to talk to people outside of work. It'd be a really great extra. And I suppose that's even more encouragement to pick one gym and stick with it for as long as possible! 

As for the challenge: bedtime is still a huge problem for my self-control. I have to get it together! I'm reminding myself of how hard it is to get out of bed on time in the mornings, and that that would be solved if I was sleeping earlier. The vegetables are going great still! I think next challenge I'm going to keep it but increase it to two servings of fruit/veg a day to keep the streak going. c: And I skipped my workout proper yesterday, because I just was not prepared for how sore I was going to be after silks for the first time! (My biceps still cringe when I massage them, haha, and my legs are sore in all sorts of weird places when I get up after sitting for longer than a couple minutes.) In retrospect, if that happens again, I think I should do the warm-up and then just go through what I CAN of it, and then stretch. I felt like it would be useless to do the workout if I couldn't do it to my full strength, but that's just silly! So I'll keep that in mind for later. 

Tomorrow, though, I've got a session scheduled with a personal trainer (at a regular gym, not the aerial one) ! I'm looking forward to some one-on-one feedback and to see how they handle the session. And it'll make my workout more interesting, because I won't know what's going to happen!

Lots of folks (most?) don't get an in-air footknot during their first lesson. 

Inversions are hard for lots of people, so don't feel like you're behind on that. I know a couple people at my gym that didn't get an unassisted inversion for a long time. 3-4 months, maybe? At least two sessions, which were 7 weeks. So yeah, lots of core, mostly. You'll get there if you stick to it.

What I could NOT do, however, was jump up into a straddle/inverted straddle (something like this on a knot, but I didn't hold the two pieces together, just let myself hang) until she lowered the knot to just about my waist. I assume that's going to take a combination of core and leg strength to leap up into from the ground!

Like this?

a2d75db1e5a298eee290b95e9c6ba00e.jpg

Inverted straddle is the correct name! It looks like this person is doing it on a hammock (aerial yoga hammock to be specific I think because she is pretty low to the ground, but anyway). You can basically make a silk function like a hammock by knotting it (hammock is one undivided silk that loops. And is in fact what I am using in my profile picture up in the left corner!)

Learning inverted straddle on a knot/in a hammock is a great beginner inversion but it's still hard and takes lots of abs. (Eventually you will work up to doing a completely unassisted straddle without the knot/hammock, but I still like to do the hammock ones for conditioning because I can continue doing those in a training session after I have exhausted myself too much to keep doing the unassisted ones anymore. And I freaking love hammock. Me and hammock are good pals!)

Current Challenge

I really sounds like you had a fantastic class! And that foot lock is impressive! I would never have been able to do something like that on my first class. I haven't even tried it yet (in any of my tried silks classes). I'm really glad you had a great time! :) 

Getting into bed in time is really hard. I can see why you're struggeling with it. Do you have any techniques to remind yourself to go to bed earlier? 

Would it work to set an alarm or something when it's time to go make yourself ready for bed? :P

Now that I know what the hammock is, I know we've got a few set-ups of that in our gym! In fact the teacher had two of us use them today while practicing something (superman I believe). 

Sorry I disappeared for a little while there! I started class last Tuesday and have been really working to make sure everything else stays as-planned for my goals. Aaaaand aerials plans changed a bit! For the better though :) 

I've joined a more structured gym right away, rather than waiting! It's a 7-week session, just had week 2's class today! AND one of my roommates joined with me, and we're going together. It's great having someone with me! :) And I like the idea of having an organized class system over here. It's a little further, but I'm so happy with this instructor and the other people in my class. 

But! I actually broke my toe at the first session in the new gym, last Sunday. I was mounting a trapeze (it's a mixed aerials class, although we do mostly silks by far) and misunderstood the instructor about the order of what we were doing, so my legs weren't bent enough, and I used a lot of momentum, because I'm definitely eagerly throwing myself into everything, haha. Second toe on the right foot, the most distal phalanx - I have the x-ray pics somewhere on a CD the nurse practitioner gave me, but I'll have to look for it to share. Nurse recommended staying off trapeze, but I disagree. :) But I AM laying off running completely, I'm doing bodyweight workouts with modifications as needed, and I'm going to start using the stationary bikes at my gym-gym instead of running. It's not too bad! A bit of bone chipped off, essentially (avulsion fracture!), but it's minimally displaced so I just tape it to the one next to it. Definitely not scared away from anything, in fact I'm mostly just happy I got a dumb-but-healable injury like a broken toe, and not a sprained ankle. (But I am amused that I've been running for two years, no injuries, and two classes into aerials, I broke the first bone I've ever broken. Hah!)

But I love this class! Today we did a gazelle into a hip key, and I LOVED that! We also did candy cane, which I loved a bit less. And I did my first straddle/double crochet without the knot! By the time I swung up into the 'diaper' thing though, I basically stepped right through onto the ground, because it didn't stay tight enough without the knot. I'm sure I'll get it with practice though. :) 

Thanks for checking in on me, guys! I'm getting so much out of this class. It's great motivation to work out, outside of the classes! Now I want to be stronger and more flexible so I can do more up in the air. 

OWW! Did you kick the trapeze itself or hit the ground on the way out? Either way owwie! I am glad it hasn't discouraged you though!

Also wow you already have your hip key? Those things are my nemesis and I still don't quite have them (though this may largely be because I have been avoiding them because I know I don't have them? Lol.) Also I am impressed you already straddled up into double crochet! The strength to straddle up usually doesn't come that fast!

It sounds like you made a really good choice going to the super organized gym!  (I feel like more organized places also are more likely to be on top of their rigging safety knowledge! Added bonus!)

Current Challenge

Kicked the trapeze itself! I heard/felt it make an awful noise and it hurt like hell, but I just sorta played it off and tried again til I got the mount down. Once I got off the trapeze I could see the two toes I hit were white, compared to the rest of my foot which was flushed. Gradually I watched them turn purple, and the pain only slightly lessened, which is when I asked if there were any ice packs. Only one was broken, at least the other was just bruised! I got it checked at an urgent care center about 24 hours later, which I count as a personal win for me - I was really hesitant to do so, just because I was TERRIFIED I was going to be fine, and making a scene about nothing. Getting the avulsion fracture diagnosis was actually a relief! (I used to really not be taken seriously about medical issues as a child, and I've had a really weird way of processing needing to go to a doctor since... I've walked on probably-sprained ankles, had cavities ignored til I got abscesses, and thrown up at school/parties/etc (after not being allowed to stay home when I reported feeling ill) more than I could count. I've had to train myself how to listen to my body and get help when I need it, so this was a big deal for me!) I'm glad it didn't make me scared to keep going to classes, though. c: 

I think what's helping me is that even though I would say - compared to very fit people that I see online or in class - that I'm not that strong, the truth is that I'm far from a beginner to strength training. I LOVED getting into the hip key, I'm sure it wasn't pretty but it was really fun. Straddling without the knot was hard, and one of the last things we did, so even harder since I was tired. Lots of jumping and my legs just sort of flailing uselessly without flipping over, so I was really happy when I managed to get upside down, cross it over behind my back and swing upwards, even if I stepped right out of it/landed on the ground as soon as I tried to get it to hold me up in the air (does everyone call that part 'diaper man'? hah!). I'm sure I'll hit a sudden wall where my strength advantage doesn't exist anymore, and I'll progress slower, but right now I'll take what I can get. c: It is really interesting hearing where others were at/are at with their own aerial experiences! Even though I'm trying not to compare myself to others too much and just enjoy it for what it is - and it's definitely easy to enjoy. C: 

I'm loving it at the new gym! And more of a sense of accomplishment for me, with leveled classes. (Good point! Everything there DOES look much more clean and organized, and hopefully safe! Their ceiling is also a LOT higher, which makes it more fun to climb the silks! At the other gym I got to the ceiling on the first day...since the ceiling was maybe 15 feet up. Maybe. This other gym is huuuugely tall! I haven't gotten to the ceiling yet, I'm actually unsure if we're supposed to...I may ask next time!) 

Again, thanks for checking in and commenting. It's nice to have somewhere to report all this to. : )

• Like 1