ixaera assassinates a few quests~

freck

Greetings my new comrades! This is my first non-Recruit challenge and I am here, being assassin-y with you all. I chose assassins because my workouts are mostly bodyweight / light dumbbell / pullup bar. I actually have no real interest in parkour or obstacle courses, but becoming functionally stronger and healthier is a huge goal of mine.

Currently out of town on vacation until the 6th, so the first two days of this challenge will mostly be a bust. It also means I'm tapping this out very slowly and will possibly be adding a theme later? This will be WAY simpler than my last challenge and a lot more focused and easier to grade.

Quest 1:

I drink massive amounts of diet soda. I will be going two days a week without any, replacing it with tea instead.

Bonus days for extra credit, final score will be the average of all four weeks.

2 = A

1 = B

0 = F

Quest 1:

I drink massive amounts of diet soda, which gets expensive and probably isn't good for me, and I want to start replacing this with tea instead. I'm rolling this goal up in a general "don't use the work cafeteria more than twice in a week", which will also result in less general money spent and fewer rando junk snacks, too. Two per week encourages me to moderate the cookie and soda intake both! Golf scoring, lower numbers win.

2 or less = A

3 = B

4+ = F

Quest 2:

10k steps per day, minimum 60k per week (grading this way so that steps can be made up -- 20k would count as 2x 10k)

Final score will be the average of all four, bonus are possible.

60k = A

50k = B

40k = C

all else F

Quest 3:

p90x3 6 days per week

Same scoring method as the other quests -- bonus are possible, final score is an average

6 = A

5 = B

4 = C

all else F

Life Quest:

Meditate meditate meditate. I wanted to make this a writing quest, but since meditation isn't part of a challenge anymore, I have fallen off the wagon ALREADY which is ridiculous b/c it's so helpful. 

7 days a week. I need this. NEED. Scoring is 1 point for each session no bonus possible, average of four.

7 = A

6 = B

5 = C

all else F

Boop beep boop.

Week 1 (final):

Visits to cafeteria: 2 = A

Steps: 65,544 = A

# of p90x3 workouts: 5 = B

# of times meditated: 3 = F

Week 2 (final):

Visits to cafeteria: 2 = A

Steps: 65,364 = A

# of p90x3 workouts: 7 = A+

# of times meditated: 7 = A

Week 3 (final)

Visits to cafeteria: 3 = B

Steps: 72,718 = A

# of p90x3 workouts: 6 = A

# of times meditated: 7 = A

Week 4 (final)

Visits to cafeteria: 1 = A+

Steps: 62,617

# of p90x3 workouts: 6 = A

# of times meditated: 6 = B

Starting weigh in = 105

Ending weigh in = 104.8

• Like 1

Challenge Threads

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21

BATTLE LOG (Current)

MFP | Instagram

I drink up to about 60 oz a day. Much needed!!

If you can conquer that, you can do anything. Soda was hard to quit, the withdrawal is like coming off a narcotic cold-turkey. I've been "clean" a year and a month now, lol. You definitely want to track the difference in your soda consumption and replace the calories with good stuff so you don't end up losing weight, as I recall you hover around 103? Try to stay there if you can (or increase, muscle is your friend lol) for superior energy and resilience against being sick. 'Tis the season and all that. 

Simple goals don't necessarily mean easy, but you've got this thing.  

• Like 1

Level 13 Shape-shifting Warrior Monk

STR:45 | DEX:18 | STA:10 | CON:37 | WIS:37 | CHA:27

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Battle Log : MFP : Instagram : Challenges - 1, 23456789101112

I drink almost entirely diet soda, actually! MANY years ago, it was all regular Dr Pepper or bust, and I switched as part of the effort to lose weight way back when... worked a little bit, but I made a very successful switch and haven't ever gone back to regular.

Anyhow, I am now BACK from New Orleans + 2 lbs b/c all the Cajun food and pralines. Probably unsurprisingly, my 10k step goal was demolished on Monday while I was still there, but didn't make it on Tuesday because I drove for 8 hours and didn't have it in me to finish it out when I got home. I gave up a bit on tracking calories while there.

Soda = uhhhhh not yet this week.

No p90x3 yet b/c I was super out of town, and I did not find motivation to meditate while in the shared hotel room. I expected the first two days to go about this way, and today is my "real" first day anyway.

\o/ here we go!

• Like 1

Challenge Threads

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21

BATTLE LOG (Current)

MFP | Instagram

Adjusting Quest 1. I believe if I can just straight up avoid the work cafeteria, I would automatically accomplish this goal--so I'm going to go with a max of 2 visits to the work cafeteria per week. The bonus of doing things this way is that I also save money AND eat fewer cookies, too.

• Like 1

Challenge Threads

BATTLE LOG (Current)

MFP | Instagram

I LOVE p90x3. It's short, works muscles, and then I have time to move on with whatever else I want to do because I'll be honest, fitness is not my #1 hobby. I like video games, books, cooking, nutrition science, and getting lost on the internet. But I wanna look good and be healthy, too, so this works out super well for me! (I work full time, have a long-time boyfriend who I GUESS wants some of my attention, and a pretty healthy social life, so time is definitely a big factor for me.)

Yesterday went well, got all mah points including meditation, which I nearly fell asleep during twice, but spent one cafeteria visit. AND I'll be spending one today as well because I forgot my lunch, which made me realize that's a legit reason to go down there, so if I stick to healthy food and don't get diet soda, it won't count as a visit at all. (To illustrate my habit, I buy 2 cans every time I go in there...)

I did Eccentric Upper, then stepped around on my floor stepper thing while watching an ep of Supernatural to get my 10k steps. On track for an A this week there, even with the 2 out of town days. \o/ If I'm feeling up to it, may double up on some p90x3 this weekend to make up points, but yesterday I was still sweating out New Orleans butter and rum and didn't get it as good as I wanted, and also didn't have time to work on the mini-challenge this week. SIGH. Hopefully tonight, maybe while I'm cooking dinner.

Got work happening today but hoping to nab time to dig around in other people's logs today finally.

WE GOT THIS. 

• Like 2

Challenge Threads

BATTLE LOG (Current)

MFP | Instagram

Another day another gold star

Did go to the cafeteria b/c food is important and forgot lunch. Did NOT purchase any diet soda (opted for a bottle of water) and only looked longingly at the double chocolate chip cookies (no room for those little dudes today). So I'm not subtracting a second visit today, since my purchase was a chicken, bacon, avocado salad with a cilanto lime vinaigrette and bottled water. TOTALLY legit cafeteria visit, you guys.

In fact, did not have any diet soda at all today, because the convenience of the cafeteria was taken via this challenge. Success.

Steps & p90x3 = completed. Today was Triometrics and I'm STILL not back on my game post-vacation. Six days was a doozy, I guess.

Totally meditated, only nearly fell asleep/daydreamed one time.

Tomorrow I have post-work plans that will no doubt stretch well into the wee hours, which sort of ENTIRELY destroys my schedule of how I do things successfully here. Going to attempt waking up early to do Pilates X, but that's an especially tough one for me when awake and fed and not still suffering from post-vacation grungies, so I am not expecting fireworks while tired and pre-breakfast, here. The plan is extra walking around work, perhaps desk pushups in lieu of table ones, and maybe meditating on my lunch break (though I usually don't take one and have an errand to run, it's Friday, maybe no one will notice??????)

Plan B is to double up on p90x3 and walking on Sat/Sun

Oh! And I was especially happy with today's fooding, so here it is:

2 eggs + cup of kale + 1/2 oz feta cheese + some pepper sauce I bought in New Orleans

chicken + bacon + avocado (about 1/4 of a fruit) salad with cilantro lime vinaigrette and a little more feta

a piece of a bar of dark chocolate (Green & Black's 85%, about 1/5 of a bar)

5 oz salmon w/ 1 cup carrots, 1/2 cup broccoli, 1/3 of a green bell pepper. salmon had 1/2 tbsp butter, and there was some olive oil involved in the veggies (baked and steamed, so tasty)

• Like 1

Challenge Threads

BATTLE LOG (Current)

MFP | Instagram

I like your Plan A and Plan B strategies. In case of Unforeseen Circumstances, you can ditch the pilates for something more approachable/that you can complete lol. 

• Like 1

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Spoilers: I opted out of getting up early and am likely gonna do Pilates + Eccentric Lower tomorrow. Getting some walking in, though, but even if I don't make 10k, I'll have plenty of time to make up the lack tomorrow. No plans! Hurray!!

Some positive news is that I spent my last cafeteria visit this morning on diet soda & a chocolate chip scone, then at lunch talked myself out of a cookie and another diet soda at lunch b/c I want an A. So today will include a banana and a small chunk of dark chocolate instead of more baked goods \o/

Just did the standard push up portion of the mini-challenge and was super pleased that I could pull off 16 of those now. (I was at 3 about 3 months ago.)

• Like 1

Challenge Threads

BATTLE LOG (Current)

MFP | Instagram

Totally ate too much yesterday, so I'm sorta glad calories isn't a quest this time around lol (alcohol might be, I'm still formulating how I want to approach that... as of last month or so I've straight up stopped attending things where I'm the drunk-er-tainment, so my drinking too much is usually just with other friends who are also drinking a lot at the time.)

Went to a DELIGHTFUL Japanese restaurant yesterday, where we ate all the things (they serve food tapas style). Drank some Orion beers, had tonkatsu ramen, some tiny dumplings, part of a rice sandwich (similar to a rice ball). Only got half my steps in and no p90x3. Today's goal is 2x p90x3 and 15k steps, or at least 12.5k steps so I can do 12.5k steps again Sunday. But 15k isn't a huge deal for me, so probably that.

No meditation yesterday :( Was going to in my office, but was constantly being poked by a client who sends us bad data for more information, so I was actually working balls to the wall yesterday. (Even got in some OT.)

• Like 1

Challenge Threads

BATTLE LOG (Current)

MFP | Instagram

No such thing as eating too much for a bodyweight <110 lbs, lol. I'm sure others might set that threshold even higher, lol....sounds like a lot of fun was had at the restaurant. 

Sometimes sacrifices must be made in order to have that Life thing, so good for you on figuring out  another path to your A. Now do the thing! 

• Like 1

I found you! :D I have cut soda and other similar drink stuffs out of my diet by using my teapot. I got an electric kettle from a friend who was moving, and it heats up about 2 liters of water. I wake the teapot, pour in the water, add the bags, and BOOM by noon I have around 2 liters of fluids and my body is uninterested in other, less worthy liquids. Plus, it helps keep me feeling full so I don't eat ALL THE THINGS and turn into a junk food monster.

• Like 1

Week 1 recap

Went about as well as I expected overall, for losing 2 days to travel, and 4 days prior to that to travel also, which kicked my ass in terms of eating less wholesome food and not working out or stretching. I LOST my chin up. I hope to get it back quickly, but dang!

I updated my post 1 with week 1's final, but to sum up, it's A, A, B, F because I lost 2 days of meditation to simply not having a single moment alone Monday & Tuesday, yesterday I simply felt like, what's the point I'm failing this week anyway (which is dumb, I'm averaging things, so the extra point would have helped, but my bf got me watching a really stupid movie and it went by the wayside very easily). I can't remember why I didn't meditate another day. Probably dumb reasons!

The cafeteria method is working out well... focusing on the habits that lead to to the bad habit seems to be a good starting place for now, and next challenge may focus on my RaceTrac stops on the weekends (but it's more likely to focus on alcohol, either way, RaceTrac is a future habit nixed).

This week I plan to bring a solid A game across the board and continue examining what's working and what's not!

Here we go, Week 2~

(FYI, I never took any starting stats besides weight, so I guess that's all I'm looking at this time. Not my favorite because at maintenance it's not a good way to gauge progress--though I do have travel weight to shuck off, not much of course)

• Like 1

Challenge Threads

BATTLE LOG (Current)

MFP | Instagram

It sounds like your cafeteria habit is a lot like the "win at the grocery store" method, and even better it's working just as well! When my husband quit smoking, he made it clear that we would no longer be going to bars. In Florida, you can smoke inside so long as the establishment isn't a restaurant as well, so by removing the venue it helped with the habit. :-)

Anyway, I'm really glad that it's working for you!

• Like 1

Quitting smoking is so hard! (From what I gather, anyway.) My mom was a heavy smoker for decades, swapped to e-cig about 5-6 years ago and hasn't switched back. I'm unsure about the health safety of the e-cig but it's infinitely better than her old habit. She no longer coughs up black tar on an hourly basis, anyway. I'm glad he succeeded!! Big props to that guy.

TMI: Today I can feel T.O.M. approaching like a GRRM Winter. The cravings have NOT hit yet thank goodness, but the bloating and water retention is here in FULL force.

Today was a gold stickie day. No visits to the cafeteria at all, brought all necessary food so didn't even have to face temptation. Drank a couple of cups of tea and a bunch of water (had a leftover weekend DP 10 at home, though). Did All The Things, though got a massive sneeze attack during meditation that is kind of ongoing now. Plus random toe pain. Thinking it's the shoes. I have difficulty finding proper sporty shoes because of the odd foot size. Just imagine being a parent to a 10-year-old who just joined track or something, only I guess 10-year-olds don't have the market necessary for really great supportive shoes. Now take that size and apply it to an adult (if I really count ha). SORT OF ANNOYING.

Right now I use a pair of women's size 5 Nikes that are honestly too loose and probably getting poor game on my tootsies now that I've kept up with the stepping challenge for a while now. I should look into this problem. *peers inside wallet, stares at abyss, abyss stares back, sighs*

• Like 1

Challenge Threads

BATTLE LOG (Current)

MFP | Instagram

If you're experiencing foot pain, consider adjusting your step goal until you can work up a solution. Foot pain > compensatory gait > knee pain > hip pain. If it is merely shoes being too big, do you think thicker socks would be a reasonable temporary fix?

• Like 2

If you're experiencing foot pain, consider adjusting your step goal until you can work up a solution. Foot pain > compensatory gait > knee pain > hip pain. If it is merely shoes being too big, do you think thicker socks would be a reasonable temporary fix?

It was the first time it happened, and it started about 30 minutes after I got off my floor stepper, so I'm not totally sure. I will be trying a second pair of socks with them tonight, definitely. (Felt like a cross between bone pain in the small toes and a toe cramps, just on the right foot.) If it continues, worsens, or becomes really obvious it's about the shoes + stepping specifically I will very much back off. I have had two friends recently with knee or foot injuries and I don't want to ride in that boat.

• Like 2

Challenge Threads

BATTLE LOG (Current)

MFP | Instagram

Sounds like a good plan, the price of admission to the injury boat is too damn high. 

• Like 2

Pre-trivia night check in:

So far still 0 cafeteria visits this week, but sneaky bad habit me has figured out I have pocket change and there's a vending machine with coke zero in it :| Meanwhile, um, at least no extra cookies??

Steps & p90x3 achieved today + meditation, which I kept trying to waking-dream through (that was weird).

Foot update: is shoe, but not in the way I thought. There's a lot of room in the toe box of these shoes b/c they're about a half a size too big, but the shape across the wide bones at the ball of the foot is strange and is trying to creep around the inside of the shoe. It's REALLY hard to describe, and not enough to really capture in a picture, but some of the sole is actually ending up a little bit on my instep. This squeezes my right foot just a little bit on the outstep. I only caught this because during the explode and holds in Agility X, I really felt it and investigated. 

Looks like I'll be on the hunt for shoes-that-really-fit again. This will take a while due to budget issues on top of weird-size shopping issues, and if anyone happens to already know of well made court shoes (good for p90x3) that come in women's 4/4.5 or kid's 2.5/3, please don't hold out on me :) I prefer the women's size in sports shoes, just because adult shoes tend to be more durable and more supportive.

ETA: Started on the mini-challenge today and figured, hay, I can do bodyweight, those aren't hard. Did 133 and got straight up bored (and sweaty, but mostly bored). I know already that I'm not really able to do a pistol squat, but the shrimpies should be fun and are new to me!

• Like 1

Challenge Threads

BATTLE LOG (Current)

MFP | Instagram