Incipient Order of Taggers - Let's Hack the Tag System for Good

I'm in! Let me know where I can help.

Put you on the Tagger team. More instructions coming soon!

Done my first flagging under the radar on ItsDaniel's thread. He's doing a Knight/Crusader theme so I pointed him towards this place and suggested he might fit under Paladin

Perfect! I want to get a couple of quick and easy guides/cheat sheets together. One for different ways for us to tag and flag, and another for those who want some instructions on how to tag their topic posts.

I propose we seek to keep the occupation tags as broadly-defined as possible lest we run into the complication of overly specific class definitions.  For example, we needn't have Viking and Barbarian tags when one would serve for both.  Similarly would be Wizard/Warlock/Mage/Sorcerer, Bard/Skald/Musician, etc.  People can define themselves within their tag as specifically as they want.  We all craft an identity of sorts beneath the umbrella of our NF classes, after all.

That said, I humbly submit the following...

Tentative definitions, at least.  Feel free to edit or tweak where necessary.

Those are terrific! They have been added to the Master Tags List as is.

Oooh just found this! I really liked the discussions i saw on the challenge update thread and am totally stoked you've put this up, SL. I'm in, as a guild flagger if there's still room!

Sent by TARDIS delivery service. Apologies for typos caused by interactions with the time vortex.

Always room for you Raxie! You are on the flag team.

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

I already commented but have to say again, this is a great idea. When in need i will make sure people see this thread!

I propose we seek to keep the occupation tags as broadly-defined as possible lest we run into the complication of overly specific class definitions.  For example, we needn't have Viking and Barbarian tags when one would serve for both.  Similarly would be Wizard/Warlock/Mage/Sorcerer, Bard/Skald/Musician, etc.  People can define themselves within their tag as specifically as they want.  We all craft an identity of sorts beneath the umbrella of our NF classes, after all.

You are right on point Rurik, making too much tags would cripple the practical use of the system. Though i feel like (or want to be like) a viking. Thus having the tag Barbarian is not quit what i set out for (maybe a bit more on the roleplaying part of this). Not coming up with a real solution to this problem but pointing out a practical issue (for me at least).

• Like 4

... a little odd in the head ...

Love the descriptions, Rurik! Not sure I fall under the Barbarian category myself yet, but I'll agree on the use of that term as Vikings are way more specific (a.k.a. all vikings could be considered a sub-section of barbarians but not all barbarians are necessarily vikings). "Mage/Magician/Arcanist" sounds like a good term for the other tag. That said, here's my humble contribution

Magician - They might be studious wizards, passionate sorcerers or wise shamans, but magicians wield powers that allow them to reshape the very fabric of reality and bend it to their will. It takes effort and discipline to master such powers and control their use, so although widely varying in their method of approach, all magicians posess unbreakable willpower and iron discipline. They might study ancient tomes, meditate to harness the power within or pray to the spirits, but they do so with absolute conviction.
  • Like 4

Lvl 58 Multitasker

I'm not sure how I can help, but I did want to say that I think this is a great, and needed, idea! (Although I still think a Bard class would be useful.) Good luck!

• Like 2

Level 38 Lupine Pirate = STR: 98 || DEX: 91 || STA: 102 || CON: 76 || WIS: 88 || CHA: 75

Current Challenge: 

Past Challenge List: Challenges 1-38

Battle Log: Battle On, Eli!

"You're the best kind of crazy." -Murphy, Dresden Files

"That's wolves for ya; good guys!" -Wolf, 10th Kingdom

I'm curious, what are people thinking about the Bard class? I've heard some say that it would be for circus/dance/flow arts, but I've heard others say Jester would be more suited to the role and Bards would be better for music/poetry/writing. Then again, they all seem to go hand-in-hand -- I could see Bard covering all of that.

Whichever tag we decide is for flow arts, I'm all over it! :)

• Like 2

Lvl 5 Lightbending Bard
STR: 10 | DEX: 10 | STA: 7 | CON: 9 | WIS: 15 | CHA: 5.5
"If the desire to write is not accompanied by actual writing, then the desire must be not to write." - Hugh Prather

Feel free to drop by my current challenge!

I already commented but have to say again, this is a great idea. When in need i will make sure people see this thread!

You are right on point Rurik, making too much tags would cripple the practical use of the system. Though i feel like (or want to be like) a viking. Thus having the tag Barbarian is not quit what i set out for (maybe a bit more on the roleplaying part of this). Not coming up with a real solution to this problem but pointing out a practical issue (for me at least).

I went ahead and added you as a tagger as you know several guilds well and can work across guild lines. Hope that meets with your approval.

I am considering a few subtags, like techno or viking. Not sure if this would muddy things up, though. Everyone has ten tags they can add to their topics, so it may be best to let the Barbarians, for instance, decide if they want a set of subtags that they create. Then individual could differentiate themselves further. 

Love the descriptions, Rurik! Not sure I fall under the Barbarian category myself yet, but I'll agree on the use of that term as Vikings are way more specific (a.k.a. all vikings could be considered a sub-section of barbarians but not all barbarians are necessarily vikings). "Mage/Magician/Arcanist" sounds like a good term for the other tag. That said, here's my humble contribution

Awesome!

I love the ideas flowing around here. I'd love to get involved, but I guess beyond taggin my own threads I lack the time to feasibly do so.

But subbing nonetheless.

I'm working on getting some sample flag and tag intros together that those pressed for time can adapt and use to speed up the process of letting fellow rebels know what we are doing. Those might be useful to you when you are out on the forums and posting in threads anyway. 

I'll let everyone know when I have them done. It's down my priority list at the moment, though, because I'm waiting to see if the new changes on NF will mean we need to adapt some things.

I'm not sure how I can help, but I did want to say that I think this is a great, and needed, idea! (Although I still think a Bard class would be useful.) Good luck!

Arrrgh...Arooo, Lupine CutLass! Thanks for the thumbs up. Keep yer eye out here an' ye may see some opportunities teh spread the word.

• Like 3

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

I'm curious, what are people thinking about the Bard class? I've heard some say that it would be for circus/dance/flow arts, but I've heard others say Jester would be more suited to the role and Bards would be better for music/poetry/writing. Then again, they all seem to go hand-in-hand -- I could see Bard covering all of that.

I'll throw this open for discussion. We are getting quite a few classes already, and probably don't want more than one or two more, but this particular one has enough adherents across the forums that it might be a good candidate for a separate tag. What do you all think of Jester?

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

I'll throw this open for discussion. We are getting quite a few classes already, and probably don't want more than one or two more, but this particular one has enough adherents across the forums that it might be a good candidate for a separate tag. What do you all think of Jester?

I think this mirrors the Barbarian/Viking discussion.  Jester seems like a specialized Bard to me so if we are keeping it general then I think we could keep it to just Bard and allow people to sub tag as they see fit.  

• Like 5

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

"Jester" has a connotation that I know some circus/flow/dance performers wouldn't appreciate. 

• Like 3

On another note separate from below, has anyone implemented class tags into their challenges yet?  Contemplating itself, but wondering how we're deploying this concept overall.

Maybe we could go old school with "Fighter" or "Warrior" and have them contain all the archetypes therein for the melee-rager-armsman class.  In the eyes of many games, if not history itself, Vikings are generally relegated to the barbarian rager role anyways.  That was my sole intent there.

If Mage/Magician/Arcanist is too specifically "magical," adding them to the Scholar class would be another option.  A general pursuit of mental improvement and mastery over willpower, motivation, and self-improvement.  Ravenclaw on steroids, if you will.

I feel like Bard is an excellent class to contain any generalized entertainment arts.  Singers, storytellers, circus, dance, flow, etc.  In the interest of keeping our tags to a minimum, I'm sure we could adapt Bard as a catch-all for such hobbies and interests somehow.

This challenge I'm feeling the Call of the Skald myself, another version of the Bard itself.  My motivation for much of the work I'm doing around the forums and even the fiction narrative I'm working into my challenge has to do with inspiring others through my creative efforts.

• Like 3

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

On another note separate from below, has anyone implemented class tags into their challenges yet?  Contemplating itself, but wondering how we're deploying this concept overall.

Maybe we could go old school with "Fighter" or "Warrior" and have them contain all the archetypes therein for the melee-rager-armsman class.  In the eyes of many games, if not history itself, Vikings are generally relegated to the barbarian rager role anyways.  That was my sole intent there.

If Mage/Magician/Arcanist is too specifically "magical," adding them to the Scholar class would be another option.  A general pursuit of mental improvement and mastery over willpower, motivation, and self-improvement.  Ravenclaw on steroids, if you will.

I feel like Bard is an excellent class to contain any generalized entertainment arts.  Singers, storytellers, circus, dance, flow, etc.  In the interest of keeping our tags to a minimum, I'm sure we could adapt Bard as a catch-all for such hobbies and interests somehow.

This challenge I'm feeling the Call of the Skald myself, another version of the Bard itself.  My motivation for much of the work I'm doing around the forums and even the fiction narrative I'm working into my challenge has to do with inspiring others through my creative efforts.

I've already added Innkeeper to mine because of some of the domestic rangering goals I've got this challenge.  

• Like 2

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

"Jester" has a connotation that I know some circus/flow/dance performers wouldn't appreciate. 

This was my first thought as well - if it were me, I wouldn't want to be tagged as Jester, and would much prefer Bard. ^^

• Like 2

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

I definitely prefer Bard to Jester for circus/dance/flow performers, and I like the idea of Bard being inclusive of all arts and entertainment activities. In my own practice, dance, flow arts, playing music, and writing stories all sort of stem from the same creative well and influence each other, anyway.

• Like 4

only what you take with you

Challenges: Starstuff Wars Episode I, II, III, IV, V, VI  

NF character ~ Fitbit ~ Strava ~ Smashrun ~ MyFitnessPal

Food Log

I see a difference, and I'm just pointing out for discussion, not to boggle us down, anyway I see a difference between the occupasion 'Barbarian' and what I perceive as a Barbarian, or even Viking, kind of dude(dess). The occupasion seems like a brute force kinda guy, while I perceive the Viking and fellow men and women as a primal force, sure prone to fighting, but more than that a keeper of history that has nothing (or not much) to do with book knowledge and everything to do with all kinds of different primitive cultures and the uncivilised creature within.

Not sure if this belongs here, or if it's even helpful. It's late here, it kept messing with my head, keeping sleep away, which sux 'cause tomorrow 5am is pool day and I need to sleep.

• Like 1

Katrin the Morag Lvl 22 Cadet, half klingon, c-licensed trainer, mother of two, gaming nerd

Current Challenge

Road map to Level 50

I think this mirrors the Barbarian/Viking discussion.  Jester seems like a specialized Bard to me so if we are keeping it general then I think we could keep it to just Bard and allow people to sub tag as they see fit.  

I'll side with Shello on the entire approach, Barbarian being a broader group that includes Viking, Bard including Jester and Magician including Scholar (at least that was my intention when I wrote the description). We don't want to clutter the place with a bazillion tags or confuse people about which one they should use. Besides, anyone bothering to play along and add tags can add a few more of their own anyway. That way people can just do a search using tags in order to find others that will most likely have something in common, but the details and fine tuning are up to them. K.I.S.S. is the way to go

• Like 3

Lvl 58 Multitasker

This is a minor point, but a lot of people use tags for specific techniques or styles. This is cool, because if you are doing a pushup challenge, or asking for kettlebell advice, seeing the "also tagged" posts leads you to see other posts you might not otherwise see.

However, tags only match on an exact match. "push-up" does not match "push-ups" or "pushup" or "push up". 

If there are going to be tagging guidelines, maybe it could include some simple guidelines on this type of tags to increase the chance of a match. Such as: generally use the plural for nouns, use the "ing" form for verbs, and if it can be one word make it one word. (These guidelines based on a superscientific data analysis of the number of posts tagged /push[ -]?ups?/g and /run(ning)?/g  .)

If I was on staff, I'd love to slap together something that listed the 100 most popular tags. That should just be a simple database query. But the staff has their hands full right now!

I'm really fond of systems that auto-suggest tags when you start typing, but that would be a lot more involved to implement.

• Like 3

Joshua - Yoga Ninja Weasel #22 Weasel does 500 Pullups

I think of Bards as performers no matter what they do.  Music or performance acrobatics.

I was thinking of an "artisan" profession that covers everything from blacksmithing and sewing to fine-art painting and origami.

I think "scribe" could be a profession, or they could find their place between bard and artisan.  Scholar works.  Maybe writers would use both scholar and artisan or scholar and bard depending on how they felt about it.

We could also make a list of sub-tags.  I went with innkeeper because it's easier to understand than chatelaine, but with more thought, it could also encompass chef and self-employed.

• Like 4

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

5'8" & 220 260 pounds | Miles Walked: X

2019: | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |

I do really like the idea for "scribe" as we have a ton of amazing writers across all the guilds.

I also agree with Shello/D_R about almost umbrellaing the classes and having some things (ie "scholar") fall under another class ("magician").  That way people can tag themselves with the same top level and if they don't feel it fits them perfectly they can describe themselves more thoroughly in the post.  If we spread this out into too many classes no one will be able to find each other.

• Like 3

I think of Bards as performers no matter what they do.  Music or performance acrobatics.

I was thinking of an "artisan" profession that covers everything from blacksmithing and sewing to fine-art painting and origami.

I think "scribe" could be a profession, or they could find their place between bard and artisan.  Scholar works.  Maybe writers would use both scholar and artisan or scholar and bard depending on how they felt about it.

We could also make a list of sub-tags.  I went with innkeeper because it's easier to understand than chatelaine, but with more thought, it could also encompass chef and self-employed.

Ooh, yes please to the Artisan tag! I'd love to browse the challenges of crafty peoples.

• Like 2

Lvl 5 Lightbending Bard
STR: 10 | DEX: 10 | STA: 7 | CON: 9 | WIS: 15 | CHA: 5.5
"If the desire to write is not accompanied by actual writing, then the desire must be not to write." - Hugh Prather

Feel free to drop by my current challenge!

The way I see it:

Apprentice: Beginners at one of the other things, used in combination with other tags

Artisan: Any kind of craftspeople (i.e. I know Jakkals is into blacksmithing)

Barbarian: Can be a bunch of stuff. People who do hard, challenging stuff away from civilization (camping, hunting). Folks that do weird/heavy/brutal weapon workouts like hammers or axes. Rebels who are really into a viking or some similarly "primitive" theme

Bard: All types of artists. Singers, musicians, composers, poets, painters, whatever. Artisans are mainly about the practical use of what they create, Bards are more about the aesthetic value of their creations. Can also be used for people into performance arts, which encapsulates actors, jugglers, contortionists and all that jazz

Cleric: People who study or practice some sort of religion. The difference from a simple follower of the faith is that Clerics devote a lot more into it. I can think of people like Tanktimus and Thom Ulfhedinn to use as examples here.

Elder: Veteran NF users and/or those who jokingly refer to themselves as "elderly" or an "old fart"

Healer: Doctors and nurses, obviously. People into alternative or herbal medicine etc. I would also include people who apparently have an extremely positive impact on others, such as Bekah or ChristArtist.

Innkeeper: People with housekeeping goals, from decluttering to cleaning. Also folks who focus a lot on cooking

Magician/Scholar: I'd merge this for people with academic quests. Scholar can be a confusing term for writers, who in this system fall under "Bard" due to the aesthetic value of their texts, as opposed to the scientific value of academic papers, so I'd suggest Magician

Paladin: I see some overlapping here with my previous description of Cleric. Since Paladins are more zealous and militant about their faith, perhaps Cleric could be used by the more spiritual ones. Not sure here

Techno: It must be clear that this has to be used at least as a standalone tag, so that people can look up each other. Other than that, I like the current description.

Hope that was of assistance, instead of complicating matters further

• Like 12

Lvl 58 Multitasker

Very cool idea to add occupational tags! I found all of the magic-wielding descriptions confusing in terms of real-life application, but if they're meant to mean scholarly pursuits, then boom, mists of confusion cleared.

I'm only sad none of these apply to me! :)

• Like 4

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1