obax slinks into The Fort

obax

As you can see from the emblem under my pic, I've been with the Assassins for some time now (and really, I'm an Assassin at heart, I think). However, I thought I'd wander over here for the new year to see what the fuss is about (ie. my current goals are a little more Rangerly than Assassinly, even though my long-long term goals are definitely Assassinly). This challenge is going to be essentially the same as my last one, but the 4-week time frame will (hopefully) make it a little easier to stay consistent with my goals.

The Back Story

First, my epic quest involves me getting hired as a police officer. When I started here, I was getting in shape for the physical, which I have to redo every 6 months. One of the components (the one I have the hardest time with) is running a shuttle run test. I hate running with a passion, but it seems to me that the best way to get good at running is to run, so I don't really have a choice. The other thing I'm training for is pushups. They're part of a secondary physical held by some but not all of the police services in my area. A perfect score for my age group would be 37 knee pushups without stopping, so that's the long-term goal I'm aiming for.

Second, last October, I separated my shoulder while playing hockey. My last challenge focused on the physio for that, which I'm progressing nicely with but still have a ways to go.

Goal #1 - Physio+

Do my prescribed physio daily, as well as the extras that I've added in on my own. The physio alone takes about an hour or so to do, with the extras added in it takes about 15-20 minutes longer (assuming I buckle down and do it and don't take extended hockey-watching breaks between sets, which I have a habit of doing). I have a tendency to leave this 'til the end of the night, but with it taking that long I need to get to it a bit earlier in the evening so I have time to stretch after and wind down before bed.

The extras consist of pushups and Bulgarian split squats one day, and butt exercises (given by my massage person) + superman hold and elbow planks the other day.

For the record, my current 'extras' numbers are as follows: knee pushups - 3x14 (increase by 1/set each time I do them); BSS - 3x12; superman hold and plank - 3x45s

Goal #2 - Stretch Them Things

I hate stretching and can't figure out why, 'cuz I always feel better when I do it regularly. It often gets skipped when I do my physio late in favour of a reasonable bed time. Since I've already resolved to do my physio in a timely manner, I should have plenty of time to stretch. Do this daily.

Goal #3 - Run Around the Block

This goal is fairly simple, it's to run 3x/week. The distance of my new route is almost exactly 4k, and involves a couple of hills. For now I'm just focusing on getting out and going, but I'll eventually start timing myself to give an extra push of motivation. I was in the process of letting this slide when I injured my shoulder, and since then I've run very little. I absolutely need to get back to it if I'm going to pass the physical the next time I have to do it (April some time). To help with motivation with this, me, Starpuck and polgara19 have an Accountabilibuddies thread going (with Starpuck's brilliant idea to make it more fun), so part of this goal is to check in there regularly too.

In really inclement weather, going for 15-20 minutes on the treadmill is a fine replacement, but I have to make the speed as fast as I can maintain, not just an easy jog.

Related to this, I think a lot of my motivation issues around running is an attitude problem. I tend to think of myself as a person who does not run and hates running, but who is forced to run in order to achieve a goal. For the next four weeks, I'm going to try to adjust my thinking so that I'm a person who runs, which is convenient, since it will help me achieve a goal. I'm not certain I'm ready to try calling myself a runner yet, but maybe this'll be a step towards that. I have had a few good runs, after all. Maybe a new attitude will help more of them be at least not horrible...

Goal #4 - Eat Better

This December was not a good one for me. Other than my physio goal, all the others went right out the window. December is always very busy and exhausting for me, as I work in a post office. The first thing to go was the healthy eating goal, and my GI tract has informed me that my eating habits between the last challenge and now have only deteriorated. I'm not going to track things, I know how to eat healthy without tracking and I'm not overly concerned if I loose weight (though taking some fat off would be a nice side effect).

Within this goal, I'd like prepare lunches ahead of time (mostly likely Sundays), so I can come home on my break and not have to think about what I'm going to eat, or be tempted to run to Wendy's instead. I love salad, so that'll be what I do most often, but soup/stew is also good (or a bit of both!). I'd also like to eat grainy or starchy things at only one meal/day. If I'm doing salads at lunch, that just means I have to decide oats or not oats at breakfast, then just not take rice/potatoes at dinner when appropriate.

And that's that.

Ps. Sorry for the slinking, I can't help it. I'll try to start, uh............ doing whatever it is that Rangers do to locomote their persons from one place to another from now on. No promises, though...

(Edit: changed the challenge title to reflect the fact that I learned the Ranger HQ is The Fort, of which the Great Hall is only a part. Sorry, I'm new here, and apparently not very good at the intelligence gathering bit of infiltrating...)

• Like 4

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Hi Obax! Welcome to the Rangers :)

Good goals and I missed the chance back in the day when we were both Assassins to really follow and support like the good Wolfie I am, so I'm here now and ready to see you get down and funky! Ranger style..

park-ranger..gif

Wolf

"Let the Boomstick do the talking."

• Like 1

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 2 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Howler/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 192#

Stats: MIGHT: 12 / CONSTITUTION: 9 / DEXTERITY: 11 / PERCEPTION: 10 / INTELLECT: 9 / RESOLVE: 13

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Omnis Vir Lupus

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

Yay Black OPS!

I have also started to adjust my attitude to one where I like running (tho sometimes I think I just like the uninterrupted podcast listening time - yay Serial!). We are runners!

(Oh. Following. Of course)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Level 6 Ranger

Current Challenge - Scrubs!

Previous Challenges - Theme-Free LazinessMedieval MarginaliaBrandon Sanderson's Way of Kings Theme - AgainWay of Kings 1Top Gear ThemeStargate SG:1 themeIron Druid theme!

2016 Battle Log (Long term goal tracking)

Hi Obax! Welcome to the Rangers :)

Good goals and I missed the chance back in the day when we were both Assassins to really follow and support like the good Wolfie I am, so I'm here now and ready to see you get down and funky! Ranger style..

park-ranger..gif

Wolf

"Let the Boomstick do the talking."

Welcome, welcome!! I don't get around to others' threads as much as I'd like to either, so no worries. As long as I can wear the hard hat, anyway...  :)

Yay Black OPS!

I have also started to adjust my attitude to one where I like running (tho sometimes I think I just like the uninterrupted podcast listening time - yay Serial!). We are runners!

(Oh. Following. Of course)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Howdy! I'm actually looking forward to this running thing, which I'm having a very hard time wrapping my head around.... I've always said that I really need a running partner, hopefully this'll be the next best thing!

I don't think I'm ready to try to change my attitude to 'I like running' quite yet (maybe never), but 'I'm someone who runs' is a good first step.

• Like 2

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Yahoo, another assassin in the camp!

• Like 1

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Welcome, welcome!! I don't get around to others' threads as much as I'd like to either, so no worries. As long as I can wear the hard hat, anyway...  :)

Howdy! I'm actually looking forward to this running thing, which I'm having a very hard time wrapping my head around.... I've always said that I really need a running partner, hopefully this'll be the next best thing!

I don't think I'm ready to try to change my attitude to 'I like running' quite yet (maybe never), but 'I'm someone who runs' is a good first step.

'Someone who runs' is an excellent first step!

Level 6 Ranger

Previous Challenges - Theme-Free LazinessMedieval MarginaliaBrandon Sanderson's Way of Kings Theme - AgainWay of Kings 1Top Gear ThemeStargate SG:1 themeIron Druid theme!

Challenge Day -2

Geocahced with my sister today, which took a surprising amount out of me, I'm not used to having to walk in/on snow. There's not even that much.... Doing stuff in the cold always tires me out extra too.

Physio will happen shortly, though not in a timely manner. I'm less concerned about that on weekends, but I'm already tired, so it'll be a challenge to stretch some things after. Gonna skip the pushups, I pushed it a little much today by attempting to climb a tree. I wisely abandoned it quick-like, I only got one branch in, but things have been little cranky since (and are crankier now that I've settled in for the night), so I'll just stick with the basic physio exercises, and ice it good afterwards (I might leave a couple of the more challenging exercises out, depending on how it feels) I have a physio appointment on Monday, so if it's still cranky by then I'll have him look at it, but I think just taking it easy tonight and tomorrow should be fine.

• Like 1

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Welcome to the Ranger Corps. We have a lot in common. I'm someone who runs as well. I'm not crazy about it, but I like being able to move when I need to. I also like the feeling just after a run. Trust me, with the headspace thing you just worked out, it gets easier. I'm also a volunteer Police Chaplain, I think it's great you are working to become an officer.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Welcome to the Ranger Corps. We have a lot in common. I'm someone who runs as well. I'm not crazy about it, but I like being able to move when I need to. I also like the feeling just after a run. Trust me, with the headspace thing you just worked out, it gets easier. I'm also a volunteer Police Chaplain, I think it's great you are working to become an officer.

Usually when I finish a run, I feel like puking (it's worse in the heat, but it's a usual thing. There have been many days when I honestly thought I would add some 'fertilizer' to my mother's hostas...). I've had a few where I actually feel good after, but not very often...

I did notice we had some things in common. I'm excited about this trip over to the Rangers, a little change'll do ya good sometimes!

• Like 2

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Subbing.

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Whoa..  You're here too!  

Trying to adjust your attitude with the running sounds like an interesting approach.  There are a lot of runners (both enthusiastic ones and less-enthusiastic ones who are making it happen anyway) over here in the Rangers, so you should be able to find a lot of encouragement and support.  You Canadians, though, with your outdoor running in the wintertime....   ;)

I'm in kind of the same boat with food, where batch cooking and advanced preparation helps me stay on track much better than having to cook every day.  I've learned that crock pots and mason jars are awesome.  Over the summer, I did batch salad preparation with storage in mason jars, and the salads stayed fresh and wonderful all week.  Also, one crock pot stew could give me a week worth of meals.  If I got bored with them, I could always freeze the leftovers and eat them another time.  

Good luck this challenge!

• Like 1

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

So this is where you snuck off too! Subbing. :)

Subbing.

Welcome, welcome!!

Whoa..  You're here too!  

Trying to adjust your attitude with the running sounds like an interesting approach.  There are a lot of runners (both enthusiastic ones and less-enthusiastic ones who are making it happen anyway) over here in the Rangers, so you should be able to find a lot of encouragement and support.  You Canadians, though, with your outdoor running in the wintertime....   ;)

I'm in kind of the same boat with food, where batch cooking and advanced preparation helps me stay on track much better than having to cook every day.  I've learned that crock pots and mason jars are awesome.  Over the summer, I did batch salad preparation with storage in mason jars, and the salads stayed fresh and wonderful all week.  Also, one crock pot stew could give me a week worth of meals.  If I got bored with them, I could always freeze the leftovers and eat them another time.  

Good luck this challenge!

Freezing temperatures does make it harder to find the motivation to get out for a run, but not nearly as hard as blazing heat does (for me at least). The big issue is footing, my city isn't great at clearing sidewalks effectively (they're really good at turning them into skating rinks, though!), and I'm not super comfortable running on the road (especially in the dark).

I'll have a look at that salad link. I've seen the Mason jar salad thing before, but don't have any Mason jars. I tried to do the same thing in a Tupperware container, but it only sort of worked, I think it would've been soggy if I'd done it for longer. My current plan is to pre-cut the lettuce and store it, and pre-cook the protein and store it separately, then just chop the extras like peppers and green onion when the time comes. I did it for a couple days a few weeks ago and it worked pretty well, I'll just have to see if it'll work for 5 days in a row.

• Like 1

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

For the record, my new running route is almost exactly 4k, which will be a good distance for me, I think. (previously, I rarely ran more than 2.5k at any one time). It involves a couple of hills, which are also good for me (though unpleasant). It's a loop, so depending on what direction I choose to go, I can have a big hill or a really big hill and a short steep hill or a long slightly less steep hill. If I want to work on speed I can cut the loop in half and just focus on taking the hills as hard as I can, for a loop of 2k.

• Like 1

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Hills create all sorts of running badassness :)

I would say mix it up. Some days do the whole route- some days tackle the hills like a maniac! When I ran my Spartan Beast on Halloween of 2015, I was glad for all the hills I did because there were some 45 degree inclines that I had to hike 100+ feet up lol... With a 50# sandbag. #EmbraceTheSuck and I was thankful for the hills I decided to face during my training.

I still don't like running though, unless it's in nature/on the trails. Running in Texas heat sucks butt lol. But, at least you're still doing it :)

Wolf

"Let the Broomstick do the talking."

• Like 1

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 2 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Howler/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 192#

Stats: MIGHT: 12 / CONSTITUTION: 9 / DEXTERITY: 11 / PERCEPTION: 10 / INTELLECT: 9 / RESOLVE: 13

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Omnis Vir Lupus

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

Hills create all sorts of running badassness :)

I would say mix it up. Some days do the whole route- some days tackle the hills like a maniac! When I ran my Spartan Beast on Halloween of 2015, I was glad for all the hills I did because there were some 45 degree inclines that I had to hike 100+ feet up lol... With a 50# sandbag. #EmbraceTheSuck and I was thankful for the hills I decided to face during my training.

I still don't like running though, unless it's in nature/on the trails. Running in Texas heat sucks butt lol. But, at least you're still doing it :)

Wolf

"Let the Broomstick do the talking."

I was talking about this with my sister tonight, and I think for now I need to just focus on going regularly. I'm pretty good at maintaining effort throughout the run, regardless of the length, but right now it's more important that I go than that I perform 100%. Once I'm back in the habit of regularly running, then I'll start worrying about types of training.

I will say, when I was training for the shuttle run the first time, I found that introducing hills into my runs was a big help, that's when my ability really took off. I may hate them, but hills are good for me and for what I need to do, so they'll definitely be included.

• Like 2

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

I was talking about this with my sister tonight, and I think for now I need to just focus on going regularly. I'm pretty good at maintaining effort throughout the run, regardless of the length, but right now it's more important that I go than that I perform 100%. Once I'm back in the habit of regularly running, then I'll start worrying about types of training.

I will say, when I was training for the shuttle run the first time, I found that introducing hills into my runs was a big help, that's when my ability really took off. I may hate them, but hills are good for me and for what I need to do, so they'll definitely be included.

That right there is 100% pure distilled badrangerassery. That is the stuff success is made of.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Oh hey, random(ish) question for you. I think I've kind figured out 'badrangerassery', but what is the exact definition of the verb 'to ranger'?

Generally to overwhelmingly succeed at a goal with copious amounts of overkill.

• Like 2

Generally to overwhelmingly succeed at a goal with copious amounts of overkill.

Ah, of course. I shall endeavor to Ranger all the things, then.

Guaranteed, it will be max 2 days before I use that word as a verb at work or something IRL and people look at me weird...

• Like 1

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Following of course! 

Ps. Sorry for the slinking, I can't help it. I'll try to start, uh............ doing whatever it is that Rangers do to locomote their persons from one place to another from now on. No promises, though...

Hah! :) 

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: It's all future KB Girl's problem

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Day the First

So it turns out that trying to climb a tree on Saturday was really not the right choice. It was right sore yesterday, and I skipped my physio altogether. 'Tis feeling much better today, but still cranky. I had a physio appointment, and he suggested to give it another night off and get back to exercises tomorrow. A somewhat inauspicious start to this here challenge..... The plus side of taking a night off physio is that I have tonnes of time to stretch! Which I will do, thoroughly.

Stuck to the food plan today. My salad was maybe a little overdressed with creamy caesar, which is probably not the best choice of dressings, but it was damn tasty. Oats for breakfast=no potatoes at dinner, despite the fact that it was my dad's oven fries, which I love (ok, I had one, and they were exceptionally good tonight. I had to leave the kitchen so I wouldn't eat more).

Run number 1 happens tomorrow morning, likely on the treadmill. I decided that not having to brave the cold will help get me going first thing in the morning on my first run after a long hiatus. I will go until the distance thingy says 2.5 miles, which google tells me is just over 4k. I also have a masasge tomorrow evening, so I may lay off the extras. I am displeased with the whole morning run thing, but realistically that's when I'm going to need to do it if I'm going to keep up with my physio too.

Also, I've finally figured out 3 of my Ranger Feats for the mini. I can't figure out a strength one, but I got the others!

• Like 1

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Sorry to hear that climbing the tree was such a bad idea.  Glad the physio suggested taking time off - I hope it helps.  

I was on the treadmill this evening - you can do it!

Level 6 Ranger

Sorry to hear that climbing the tree was such a bad idea.  Glad the physio suggested taking time off - I hope it helps.  

I was on the treadmill this evening - you can do it!

I can't know what I am and am not capable of doing until I try it. Now I know I'm not ready to climb a tree. Ladder, yes; tree, no. My physio assures me I'll be able to climb again one day, but said anything overhead/pulley will be the mostly likely to cause crankiness and probably the last to come back. One step at a time.

• Like 1

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Keep taking care of yourself and doing the workouts that are safe.

• Like 1