obax slinks into The Fort

obax

Day the Second (thus far)

Ran in the morn, without pleasure. Choosing the treadmill was the right choice, and running on an empty stomach was not (for that distance, if I'd done my usual shorter distance it probably would've been ok). After about 2.5k, I had to stop, I just had no energy to keep going. I sat on the couch and drank a bit of water, and debated when I could get that last 1.5k in, and decided I had time now, so after a break, I finished it off (it was less that I wanted to finish than that I knew I wouldn't want to do it when I got home, nor make it up later in the week during a different run). I had to go for 5 minutes, then rest for a minute, then go for another 5 minutes, but I got the full 4k in (just over, since the treadmill measures in miles, and I like number than end in 5). This is why I don't like exercising in the morning... For the record, I was going at 6mph, which is 10 min/mile, which is just over 6 min/km (my ultimate goal has always been 5 min/km, which I've technically achieved once in my life, but not consistently).

Tonight I have a massage and then will do my physio. I'll probably leave my extras out, since massage people always say go easy (or don't do anything) after a massage, but I'm not not doing the actual physio bits.

Food is on plan so far (+ a couple little xmas chocolates, which I'm ok with). The lack of potatoes last night at dinner left me feeling hungry-ish (I think it's my body objecting to the lack of carbs rather than that I'm actually hungry), but that passed eventually.

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Way to get that distance in, even when you didn't want to.

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Day the Second (addendum)

Change of plan! My massage person ended up working my neck and shoulders a lot more than I thought she would (I asked to focus on hamstrings and calves, and a most delightful foot massage), but there was time and I had a major headache, so mush she did! She strongly suggested it might be a good idea to let things settle, and I debated for a long time. I really didn't want to miss 3 physios in a row, so I thought about leaving out some of the exercises target the muscles she worked, and that left me with one exercise. So in the end I just had a really long hot shower and stretched all the things. I still have a headache, but the rest of me feels pretty good now (except my left hip flexor, it refuses to loosen up...)

Food plan was stuck to, except there was no avoiding potatoes at dinner (sheppard's pie, potatoes are fairly integral, and it's a bit of a dick move to scrape out the filling and leave only potatoes). If I'd known I might have chosen a different breakfast, but my dad makes most of my dinners and he rarely plans ahead (which is not a complaint, my parents feed me, it just makes it harder for me to plan ahead too). Overall, I am unfussed.

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

After about 2.5k, I had to stop, I just had no energy to keep going. I sat on the couch and drank a bit of water, and debated when I could get that last 1.5k in, and decided I had time now, so after a break, I finished it off (it was less that I wanted to finish than that I knew I wouldn't want to do it when I got home, nor make it up later in the week during a different run). I had to go for 5 minutes, then rest for a minute, then go for another 5 minutes, but I got the full 4k in 

Great job gritting your teeth and badass-ing your way through your full 4k!

I really didn't want to miss 3 physios in a row, so I thought about leaving out some of the exercises target the muscles she worked, and that left me with one exercise. So in the end I just had a really long hot shower and stretched all the things. I still have a headache, but the rest of me feels pretty good now (except my left hip flexor, it refuses to loosen up...)

As someone who has been through extensive rehab, I can reassure you that while part of the process is just doing your exercises and checking the boxes, part of it is also learning how to listen to your body and make the adjustments that you need.  As long as you're not skipping sessions out of laziness, it is sometimes better to skip the physio when your body just needs a bit more rest.  

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

As someone who has been through extensive rehab, I can reassure you that while part of the process is just doing your exercises and checking the boxes, part of it is also learning how to listen to your body and make the adjustments that you need.  As long as you're not skipping sessions out of laziness, it is sometimes better to skip the physio when your body just needs a bit more rest.  

I know this rationally, but it still felt like I was being lazy. In the end I think it was the right choice, though, things were still a little cranky yesterday, and today they feel much, much better. Back at it tonight, and I have nothing else going on so I'll have lots of time for a full physio session and stretching session too!

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Hope the headache goes away.Great job of making good food choices and yet not being annoying about it too.

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-13

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Day the Third

Physio: done. All things: stretched. Food: ingested (appropriately).

Extras: Bulgarian split squats - 3x12; knee pushups - 3x14 (I couldn't remember how many I did last time. I was pretty sure 14 was correct, and decided to do that again. I'm feeling like I'm getting close to to the point where increasing by 1/set every time I do them is a little unsustainable. I dunno. I'll have to try 3x15 next time and see. I might just hang out there for a little while)

I've missed my bedtime by a bit, partly 'cuz I chose to post this, and partly 'cuz I just realized I forgot to ice my shoulder, and whenever I forget to ice my shoulder it's always extra cranky the next day. So, off to the freezer!

Tomorrow is hockey, yay!

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Day the Fourth

Did my physio before hockey. I left out 1 exercise to save time, as well as the extras. Stretched some of the things after hockey. Ate mostly to plan today. So, all in all, a sort of ok day.

Hockey went well. The team we were playing is made up of mostly former varsity players, so the best we can hope for is not losing too badly. My personal goals for the game were to win some face offs and to play like I wasn't afraid (about my shoulder). I was only a little successful at the first one, I would've preferred to win more, but I didn't play centre the whole game, so it was hard to find the rhythm. I was very successful at the second one, the only time I thought of my shoulder was when I caught an edge and fell on my left side (meaning I naturally used my left arm to break my fall). No pain, not even a twinge. That said, there wasn't a lot of rough stuff that might have taxed my shoulder, I couldn't catch any of them... But I'm taking that as a win anyway.

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Day the Fourth

Did my physio before hockey. I left out 1 exercise to save time, as well as the extras. Stretched some of the things after hockey. Ate mostly to plan today. So, all in all, a sort of ok day.

Hockey went well. The team we were playing is made up of mostly former varsity players, so the best we can hope for is not losing too badly. My personal goals for the game were to win some face offs and to play like I wasn't afraid (about my shoulder). I was only a little successful at the first one, I would've preferred to win more, but I didn't play centre the whole game, so it was hard to find the rhythm. I was very successful at the second one, the only time I thought of my shoulder was when I caught an edge and fell on my left side (meaning I naturally used my left arm to break my fall). No pain, not even a twinge. That said, there wasn't a lot of rough stuff that might have taxed my shoulder, I couldn't catch any of them... But I'm taking that as a win anyway.

Big win for getting over that fear!

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Big win for getting over that fear!

I dunno if I'm 100% over it yet, I'll have to see how the next few games go. This is my goal for the rest of the season, and I feel like this wasn't a very 'scary' game due to the lack of contact. The real test will be when I start to get some stamina back, I don't feel like I'm playing at 100% yet because I just don't have the stamina to go that hard. I like to play a pretty physical game, so we'll see how I feel about it when I get back to that.

• Like 1

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Sounds like a great step forward in the hockey!  Better to take lots of little steps forward than giant steps forwards and backwards!

Level 6 Ranger

Current Challenge - Scrubs!

Previous Challenges - Theme-Free LazinessMedieval MarginaliaBrandon Sanderson's Way of Kings Theme - AgainWay of Kings 1Top Gear ThemeStargate SG:1 themeIron Druid theme!

2016 Battle Log (Long term goal tracking)

Day the Fifth (thus far)

Ran 4k-ish on the treadmill again. This time I ate a clif bar before, even though I didn't want it, which I think helped. I say 4k-ish because somewhere between the 9 and 10 minute mark I accidentally hit the string on the safety magnet key thing and knocked it out, which stopped the treadmill and rest the timer. I decided I was close enough to call it 1 mile and just ran another 1.5. I stopped twice (plus the momentary unplanned stoppage), my plan was to stop only once, after 15 mins, but my legs just wouldn't go.

For the Ranger mini, I said I'd run outside at least once this week. I'll probably do that Sunday (maybe Saturday, but probably not). I think it's gonna be unpleasant, if my treadmill runs are any indication...

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Ran in the morn, without pleasure. Choosing the treadmill was the right choice, and running on an empty stomach was not (for that distance, if I'd done my usual shorter distance it probably would've been ok). After about 2.5k, I had to stop, I just had no energy to keep going. I sat on the couch and drank a bit of water, and debated when I could get that last 1.5k in, and decided I had time now, so after a break, I finished it off (it was less that I wanted to finish than that I knew I wouldn't want to do it when I got home, nor make it up later in the week during a different run). I had to go for 5 minutes, then rest for a minute, then go for another 5 minutes, but I got the full 4k in (just over, since the treadmill measures in miles, and I like number than end in 5). This is why I don't like exercising in the morning... For the record, I was going at 6mph, which is 10 min/mile, which is just over 6 min/km (my ultimate goal has always been 5 min/km, which I've technically achieved once in my life, but not consistently).

Tonight I have a massage and then will do my physio. I'll probably leave my extras out, since massage people always say go easy (or don't do anything) after a massage, but I'm not not doing the actual physio bits.

Food is on plan so far (+ a couple little xmas chocolates, which I'm ok with). The lack of potatoes last night at dinner left me feeling hungry-ish (I think it's my body objecting to the lack of carbs rather than that I'm actually hungry), but that passed eventually.

Good for sticking it out with the running. Slow but steady progression is better (I think) than pushing all at once.

When you cut carbs, you have to replace with protein and good fats (butter, cheese, olives, nuts, coconut, etc. etc.) Your body will get used to the change, and that might also temporarily give you a feeling of no energy, but it passes quickly (one-two days), or that is what I found when we switched to low carb- high fat with Banting (similar to Paleo).

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

Day the Fifth (addendum)

All food was ingested appropriately. I have not yet done my physio or stretching. I will do the first shortly, but will probably skip the second. I'm 81% certain I'm getting a cold. So far it's just a stuffy head, and it seems to come and go throughout the day, but I'm generally feeling not quite right. We'll see if it matures into full blown sickness or what, but tonight I feel like crap. I just napped for an hour (and I generally do not nap, ever), and already feel like I'm ready for bed..

Unrelated to any of this (and probably meaningless to y'all, since no one knows what I look like), but I think I'm ready for a new hairstyle. I took so long to grow my hair out so I could put it up in a top knot type deal (inspired by Samurai Jack), it seems like a shame to cut it off again, but I'm not sure it's doin' it for me. It's still a few weeks 'til my next hair appointment, so we'll see how I feel about it then.

• Like 1

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

I dunno if I'm 100% over it yet, I'll have to see how the next few games go. This is my goal for the rest of the season, and I feel like this wasn't a very 'scary' game due to the lack of contact. The real test will be when I start to get some stamina back, I don't feel like I'm playing at 100% yet because I just don't have the stamina to go that hard. I like to play a pretty physical game, so we'll see how I feel about it when I get back to that.

I bet as you ramp it up, each time you will feel more comfortable with it.

• Like 1

To Do List for the Weekend

Saturday:

- grocery shop for Couscous salad (minus the shrimp, plus green onion, and with cilantro instead of parsley) and a sausage and kale soup that I can't find the recipe for online but comes out of a Chatelaine magazine, plus various other sundries

- make the Couscous salad (it's Potluck!!)

- clean the small pile of dirty laundry and put away the enormous pile of clean laundry

- video games if time --> no time

Sunday:

- make soup, cut up some lettuce and find a box to put it in --> the lettuce size box is being occupied by someone else's lettuce, so I will cut as I go

- run outside --> not gonna happen, because blizzard :(

- online chores: renew library book, check out the training thingy for the volunteering I want to do in the spring, check out the learning thingy for the volunteering I'm currently doing, email dude about training sessions

- run on treadmill

- video games if time

• Like 3

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

I liked the fact that video games are planned for both days. :tongue:

• Like 1

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

I liked the fact that video games are planned for both days. :tongue:

But only if there's time.

I'm actually really jonesing for a good, day-long video game session. I figured I'd get at least one in over the christmas/new years holidays, but nadda! Not even a couple of hours! It'll be on my Weekend To Do Lists until I get to play some!

• Like 1

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

I created a character in the character creation thing. They really need a more gender-neutral option for the pictures... I picked the woman one 'cuz I'm a woman, but my boobs aren't nearly that shapely, and I would never choose unfashionable and impractical square-toed high-heel boots like that. I actually like the assassin fox-woman one better, but I decided to stick with the Ranger class, since that's where I'm hanging out at the moment.

If anyone cares to look, I turned the words 'Savage Human Ranger' in my signature into a link to the character profile. I have to think some more about things to put on my epic quest lists.

• Like 1

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Hills create all sorts of running badassness :)

I would say mix it up. Some days do the whole route- some days tackle the hills like a maniac! When I ran my Spartan Beast on Halloween of 2015, I was glad for all the hills I did because there were some 45 degree inclines that I had to hike 100+ feet up lol... With a 50# sandbag. #EmbraceTheSuck and I was thankful for the hills I decided to face during my training.

I still don't like running though, unless it's in nature/on the trails. Running in Texas heat sucks butt lol. But, at least you're still doing it :)

Wolf

"Let the Broomstick do the talking."

Honey child, existing outdoors in Texas, in the summer (or fall even) is just, hell. If it's not the heat, it's the bugs. And yes, everythings bigger in Texas.

Born and raised in the Dallas metro, until my hubby rescued me.

Level 20 Daywalker

Fitbit

Rinna joins the Fellowship to Rivendell      318.24/458

Spoiler

"The only way to lose is to give up."

-Tanktimus the Encourager

"You can't beat someone that refuses to give up."

-Björn Járnhamar

I created a character in the character creation thing. They really need a more gender-neutral option for the pictures... I picked the woman one 'cuz I'm a woman, but my boobs aren't nearly that shapely, and I would never choose unfashionable and impractical square-toed high-heel boots like that. I actually like the assassin fox-woman one better, but I decided to stick with the Ranger class, since that's where I'm hanging out at the moment.

If anyone cares to look, I turned the words 'Savage Human Ranger' in my signature into a link to the character profile. I have to think some more about things to put on my epic quest lists.

I haven't even looked at the Epic Quest thing. At the moment just continuing my old fashioned way. Reading through your To Do List, reminded me that I haven't started on washing yet! I scheduled Kinect Starwars "training", but have to compete with kiddos and hubby to get a turn on the XBox, so that will hopefully still happen later today.

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

Day the Sixth

Did not eat appropriately, but that was planned. It was Potluck, after all. Did not stretch, did not physio. Potluck went a lot later than I expected it to, and when I got home I just went to bed. As it turned out, I couldn't get to sleep, so I probably could have done my physio, but instead I lay in bed and worried about whether my shoulder would cause problems with my next physical test, and whether I'd be able to get myself in shape enough in time, and regretting being lazy about running through December.

Day the Seventh (thus far)

Running outside will not happen, a winter storm has occurred and shows no signs of letting up for at least a couple of days. Which means I will not meet the Stamina feat for the Ranger mini this week. I'm uncertain if I can just do this in a later week (ie. do 2 feats in one week) and still call it good...

Running will occur later on the treadmill. I'm not feeling super great today, but I'mma do it anyway.

Also still plugging away at my To Do list.

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge