Polgara19 travels to the Shattered Plains

Polgara19

I am halfway through Brandon Sanderson's wonderful WAY OF KINGS, and I am loving it!  So, even though I haven't finished it, or the sequel, I am risking spoilers and theming my challenge on it! 

The world created by Brandon Sanderson is a stony, harsh place, with storms so bad the grass itself hides from them.  Much of the action revolves around the Shattered Plains, a broken, jagged mosaic of plateaus, surrounded by a labyrinth of chasms.  

The Shattered Plains

e6e5814f5716c408b9a5a3e66c87a9f1.jpg

Kaladin

Kaladin is a slave fighting in the king's army under the Highprince Sadeas, and was assigned to a Bridge Crew.  Bridge crews carry massive wooden bridges that permit the armies to cross the chasms between plateaus.  Bridge crews carry the massive bridges for hours and hours on end, with almost no break.  Sadeas works his bridge crew hard, and Bridge 4, Kaladin's bridge, typically loses more members than any other.  Until Kaladin starts training them.  Kaladin has them train every day, so when they do have to run their bridge, their endurance is better.  Second, he experiments with carrying the bridge on it's side in order to protect the crew from arrows.  This month, I will train to be part of Bridge 4.

ba39aeca37caeff236d60e142ce73c8b.jpg

Bridge crews need to run for hours (Train for a 10K)

-Goal: Complete 4 weeks of training for my 10k (and later half)

Week 1: 5k, 3k, 3k = 11k

Week 2: 5k, 4k, 3k = 12k  (Ringette tournament this weekend, may only get 2 runs in - and that's ok!)

Week 3: 5k, 4k, 4k = 13k

Week 4: 6k, 4k, 4k = 14k

Bridge crews need to be able to carry a massive weight, and then maneuver it into position under attack (Achieve a Pull-up, 3X10 Toe push ups, Get down to 63.5kg)

-Goal: 3X5 @40lbs assistance

Start: 3X5 assisted @ 55lbs

Progression: Pull up work 3X/week - Bodyweight rows, assisted pull ups

-Goal: 3X10 knee push ups

Start:

Progression: Push ups 3X/week - knee push ups, toe push ups

-Goal: Weight 66.5  Start 67.8

-3X treats/week.  Treat defined as: 2 cookies, SMALL handful of candy, SMALL bowl of chips

Shallan

Brightness Shaman is a young noblewoman who has travelled halfway across the world for the opportunity to study under the King's sister, Jasnah.  She is an accomplished artist and naturalist, but under Jasnah's tutelage her studies expand and flourish.  

shallan_davar_by_sarctic-d84knyq.jpg

Study as hard as Shallan (Pick up new topics at work)

-Goal: Be vetted in A

-Goal: Follow up on training for C/D/E and plan way forward

-Goal: Determine vetting process for French

Note: this goal is deliberately vague in order to protect my job!  Trust me that it's quite specific!

Dalinar

Brightlord Dalinar is a Highprince of Alethkar, but after 6 years of war on the Shattered Plains, he has started to question the way the Highprinces compete against each other.  As a result, he makes fewer and fewer plateau runs, choosing instead to focus on patrolling and maintaining the warcamp

541b2bb3ea46965c75ca4306c7834129.jpg

Maintain my war camp like Dalinar (Domestic Rangering)

-Goal: Make deck playable

-Take starting picture

-Wash rags

-Clean up plant pots

-Excavate back corner and create plan of action for discoveries

-Sweep

-Goal: Follow trial weekly cleaning routine (and note changes needed!)

-Monday clean bathrooms

-Tuesday wash sheets/towels

-Tuesday grocery shopping

-Thursday wipe bathrooms

Life in the Shattered Plains is tough, but hopefully I will also manage to finish THE WAY OF KINGS by the end of the challenge!  This is of course complicated by the fact that I am on the waiting list from the library...  I will live in hope!

• Like 3

Level 6 Ranger

Current Challenge - Scrubs!

Previous Challenges - Theme-Free LazinessMedieval MarginaliaBrandon Sanderson's Way of Kings Theme - AgainWay of Kings 1Top Gear ThemeStargate SG:1 themeIron Druid theme!

2016 Battle Log (Long term goal tracking)

This series looks good - I'll have to add it to my (ever-growing) list of things to read.  Once I've finished the ones I already have, of course!

• Like 2

Big Show: Human Swift Hunter

Respawning. One day at a time.

Battle Log: #OperationWeddingSuit

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 

Aaaaand I have another book on my list....

Following along, of course. Also, now I'm SO curious what you job is!?!! (I've already decided you're a spy. Do we have spies in Canada? Instead of James Bond, we just have someone in a toque who says '*ahem* Pardon me, but I need to steal your state secrets. I'm very sorry, just doing my job. Thanks.')

Also, remind me again where you play ringette? My sister is refereeing a tournament in the near future, I'm curious if she'll be throwing you in the penalty box :)

• Like 2

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

I absolutely love this  series. I really enjoy the Mistborn books, but the Way of Kings is my favorite. Those drawings were so amazing, where did you get them? Maybe they were in your book? I just have the Kindle version. Such an inspiring story. Can't wait for your challenge.

• Like 2

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

This series looks good - I'll have to add it to my (ever-growing) list of things to read.  Once I've finished the ones I already have, of course!

I like your goals, and they line up with the characters really well! I've added The Way Of Kings to my to-read list, it sounds interesting! :)

A warning to all you thinking to read this - it is a massive massive book.  Bigger than GRRM's stuff.  Also, it is probably not a great introduction to Sanderson since it is strangely structured (wonderful, but even he admits that you need to trust him to get into it).  If you haven't read any Sanderson before, I suggest  you start with MISTBORN, or STEELHEART.  STEELHEART is technically YA, but an awesome post-apocalyptic, urban fantasy, superhero/villain story with a twist.  Truly excellent.  

Aaaaand I have another book on my list....

Following along, of course. Also, now I'm SO curious what you job is!?!! (I've already decided you're a spy. Do we have spies in Canada? Instead of James Bond, we just have someone in a toque who says '*ahem* Pardon me, but I need to steal your state secrets. I'm very sorry, just doing my job. Thanks.')

Also, remind me again where you play ringette? My sister is refereeing a tournament in the near future, I'm curious if she'll be throwing you in the penalty box :)

Heh, I guess I didn't phrase that very well.  If I'm more specific, I think it would be very easy to figure out where I work and then by extension who I am.  Not sure I want to be that 'out' on the internet!

I play ringette out of Markham, but we are going to the Waterloo tournament Jan 15-17. 

I absolutely love this  series. I really enjoy the Mistborn books, but the Way of Kings is my favorite. Those drawings were so amazing, where did you get them? Maybe they were in your book? I just have the Kindle version. Such an inspiring story. Can't wait for your challenge.

I do love Mistborn - such a mind bender!  Have you read the new Wax and Wayne yet?  I haven't and am dying to read it.  If possible, I think I like Wax and Wayne more than the original Mistborn characters!  I'm really looking forward to finishing Way of Kings, don't give it away!

As for the drawings, I just found them googling around.  Some were on the Wiki, some were just on people's pinterest.  I am also reading it on Kobo, so it is unillustrated!

Updated my challenge with my starting weight since I could finally weigh myself after getting home from the holidays yesterday.  67.8kg, which I am very very satisfied with!  Aiming to lose 1.2 kg over the course of the next 6 weeks.  Conservative, but I don't want to 'diet'!

• Like 2

Level 6 Ranger

Previous Challenges - Theme-Free LazinessMedieval MarginaliaBrandon Sanderson's Way of Kings Theme - AgainWay of Kings 1Top Gear ThemeStargate SG:1 themeIron Druid theme!

Thanks for the warning - I've read the Reckoners series (so far), the Rithmatist, his finale to the Wheel of Time, and book 3 of the Mistborn series is on my list for during this challenge. And I have no fear of long books, as long as they're good ones! ;)

• Like 1

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 

Thanks for the warning - I've read the Reckoners series (so far), the Rithmatist, his finale to the Wheel of Time, and book 3 of the Mistborn series is on my list for during this challenge. And I have no fear of long books, as long as they're good ones! ;)

It's not just that it's long, but strangely structured.  Apparently it is structured as 3 separate books woven together.  So it means that you keep meeting new main characters long past the point you would expect to!   Now it sounds like I'm trying to warn you off, but really just want to make sure you know what you're getting in to!

Did you enjoy the first Mistborn books?

• Like 2

Level 6 Ranger

Awesome challenge! I really like the theme you've woven into it as well. Looking forward to following along on your progress. (And repeating what others have said, thanks for the book ideas!)

Welcome aboard, you'll love Sanderson!

Day 0

Spent the day cleaning and unpacking and wrangling the children.  Then, I got to go to the gym (I consider the gym a break).

So, I warmed up on the elliptical (still have a wound on my heel), then went and did some assisted pull ups.  Could only do 1X3 at 55lbs, had to increase assistants to 70lbs for next 2 sets.  Then, was astonished to learn that my gym has replaced one of the Smith machines with a power rack!  However, it, and the two squat racks were busy for the next 30 min.  Grr.

So, I did some over head press and upright row, plank, and then finally some squats.  Then, ran 1 mile on the treadmill in 12:30.  

But of course, when I got home and found myself alone, I had many many cookies.  

Oops.

After dinner, I got out my foam roller and gave myself some work.  Until it was stolen by my kids.  5yo said "It hurts but feels nice after".  Out of the mouths of babes!

The biggest struggle today was actually that I didn't want to work out since it wouldn't count towards my goals!!!  I so desperately want to channel Kaladin, Shallan, and Dalinar, that it seemed like waste to not contribute towards them!

I requested a hard copy of WAY OF KINGS since I am still #17 on the ebook list.  I have no hope of getting the ebook before the end of the challenge, but the hard copy... 

• Like 3

Level 6 Ranger

Holy crap. this is really cool.  As if I needed another series to investigate!  Great challenge too!

• Like 2

[ Level ?? ] Thunderbro Maximus of the Thunderlords Legion

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

A warning to all you thinking to read this - it is a massive massive book.  Bigger than GRRM's stuff.  Also, it is probably not a great introduction to Sanderson since it is strangely structured (wonderful, but even he admits that you need to trust him to get into it).  If you haven't read any Sanderson before, I suggest  you start with MISTBORN, or STEELHEART.  STEELHEART is technically YA, but an awesome post-apocalyptic, urban fantasy, superhero/villain story with a twist.  Truly excellent.  

Heh, I guess I didn't phrase that very well.  If I'm more specific, I think it would be very easy to figure out where I work and then by extension who I am.  Not sure I want to be that 'out' on the internet!

I play ringette out of Markham, but we are going to the Waterloo tournament Jan 15-17. 

I do love Mistborn - such a mind bender!  Have you read the new Wax and Wayne yet?  I haven't and am dying to read it.  If possible, I think I like Wax and Wayne more than the original Mistborn characters!  I'm really looking forward to finishing Way of Kings, don't give it away!

As for the drawings, I just found them googling around.  Some were on the Wiki, some were just on people's pinterest.  I am also reading it on Kobo, so it is unillustrated!

Updated my challenge with my starting weight since I could finally weigh myself after getting home from the holidays yesterday.  67.8kg, which I am very very satisfied with!  Aiming to lose 1.2 kg over the course of the next 6 weeks.  Conservative, but I don't want to 'diet'!

I love the Mistborn series with Wax and Wane. The third book comes out in late January, my son bought it for me for Christmas, super excited to read it! Just finished the Rithmatist, and loved it too.

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

I love the Mistborn series with Wax and Wane. The third book comes out in late January, my son bought it for me for Christmas, super excited to read it! Just finished the Rithmatist, and loved it too.

I will tackle The Rithmatist after Way of Kings, the second books whose name escapes me at the moment, and Shadows of Self! Did you enjoy it?

Yay Sanderson!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Level 6 Ranger

It's not just that it's long, but strangely structured.  Apparently it is structured as 3 separate books woven together.  So it means that you keep meeting new main characters long past the point you would expect to!   Now it sounds like I'm trying to warn you off, but really just want to make sure you know what you're getting in to!

Did you enjoy the first Mistborn books?

I relied enjoyed the first two, they didn't go in the direction I was necessarily expecting them to.  The third one is finally next on my reading list, and then next month I go through the entire next trilogy all in a row rather than reading other things in between!  I've been jumping around too much between series for my liking recently.

• Like 1

Brilliant!!  I had trouble getting into the first book and set the series aside, but I'm looking forward to seeing how this challenge goes for you!

• Like 1

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Walk to Mordor Spreadsheet

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

I relied enjoyed the first two, they didn't go in the direction I was necessarily expecting them to.  The third one is finally next on my reading list, and then next month I go through the entire next trilogy all in a row rather than reading other things in between!  I've been jumping around too much between series for my liking recently.

I loved the fact that the Mistborn books were unexpected!  I am really looking forward to the new books, in fact, I think I like Wax and Wayne better than the previous Mistborn characters (can you believe it!!).  

Nothing like mainlining a series though - I did it with the Dresden files and Iron Druid most recently!

Brilliant!!  I had trouble getting into the first book and set the series aside, but I'm looking forward to seeing how this challenge goes for you!

I'm not surprised you struggled - it's a bit strange and just keeps introducing characters.  I think it's really best if you are already a Sanderson Junkie before tackling it!  

Thanks for joining me though!  Maybe I'll get you hooked on it!

Level 6 Ranger

Woo hey there linemate!     Great looking challenge.  I love the thought and organization you put into the themes.   Really well done!   Can't wait to challenge along with you this month!

Level 75 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

Well, Day 1 is off to a bit of a slump.  I feel like Kaladin hanging in the high storm - can't fight, can't go anywhere.  Sigh.

Well, that was a bit melodramatic.

The problem is that Mondays are the day I have the hardest time getting out and doing exercise - I'm home with kiddo 2 all day, picking up Kiddo 1 from school, grocery shopping, etc.  I have all this pent up motivation and excitement from the starting the new challenge, and nowhere to direct it!

Additionally, we went on a cleaning blitz yesterday so even though my Dalinar challenge is to take care of my war camp and clean the bathrooms today, the bathrooms are sparkling.  So can't even tackle my trial routine!  

Argh!

• Like 2

Level 6 Ranger

The problem is that Mondays are the day I have the hardest time getting out and doing exercise - I'm home with kiddo 2 all day, picking up Kiddo 1 from school, grocery shopping, etc.  I have all this pent up motivation and excitement from the starting the new challenge, and nowhere to direct it!

Don't think of Mondays as Mondays then.  Monday carries with it a lot of negative connotation when you're a Monday to Friday type...

4b90ab78463bb9681f8d48860d20441f.jpg

Think of Monday as your Pre-Wednesday!  That way the excitement of Hump Day will carry you all the way through the week!  :onthego:

• Like 1

[ Level ?? ] Thunderbro Maximus of the Thunderlords Legion

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

HOLY CRAP! HUGE Sanderson fan over here!

I love the Mistborn books and Steelheart. Way of the Kings has been AMAZING so far. I'm about half way through it at the moment and Words of Radiance awaits me once I'm done. 

Awesome challenge, Polgara! Although Kaladin is a great character, I was and still am a HUGE Kelsier fan. Loved that character.

Here's a badass pic of Kal. Lookin lean and mean!

kaladin_by_zippo514-d6kpqah.jpg

Wolf

• Like 1

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 2 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Howler/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 192#

Stats: MIGHT: 12 / CONSTITUTION: 9 / DEXTERITY: 11 / PERCEPTION: 10 / INTELLECT: 9 / RESOLVE: 13

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Omnis Vir Lupus

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

HOLY CRAP! HUGE Sanderson fan over here!

I love the Mistborn books and Steelheart. Way of the Kings has been AMAZING so far. I'm about half way through it at the moment and Words of Radiance awaits me once I'm done. 

Awesome challenge, Polgara! Although Kaladin is a great character, I was and still am a HUGE Kelsier fan. Loved that character.

Here's a badass pic of Kal. Lookin lean and mean!

kaladin_by_zippo514-d6kpqah.jpg

Wolf

That's a super badass pic!

I get you on Kelsier, I guess I just kind of snub him since... well... I don't feel I got enough of him (spoiler vagueness!).

Sounds like we are actually about the same place in Way of Kings, I was just over half way through when my loan period ended.  *antsydance*

Day 1 Update:

Wrote a version of this last night, but the boards kept timing out and lagging, so I lost it.  Argh.

Managed to channel my first-day-motivation and go to the gym after dinner while the husband put the kiddos to bed.  Doing this is quite a treat for me, but isn’t really sustainable long term.  Regardless, I got my first run of the week in - 4.75km, and then tackled something I’ve been eyeing for a while but been too intimidated: the lat pull down!  *shrug* No big deal.

Kaladin

Bridge crews need to be able to run for hours (complete 4 weeks of 10 k training)

Week 1: 4.75km

Bridge crews need to be able to carry and maneuver a bridge (push up/pull up progression 3X/week)

Pull-up: 1/3

Push-up: 0/3

Shallan

I made some unexpected progress on this goal yesterday actually.  Got two emails from my supervisor, one of them discussing my upcoming vetting in A and allowed me to ask about the French vetting process.  The second email was to schedule training for H.  This hadn’t really been on my radar for this month, but is very welcome since it gives me a plan for moving forward!  

I feel like Jasnah has deigned to actually speak to me and has given me a plan for moving forward! 

Study as hard as Shallan (pick up new topics at work)

-Goal: Be vetted in A

-Goal: Follow up on training for C/D/E and plan way forward

-Goal: Determine vetting process for French (in progress)

-Goal: Schedule training for H, Training for H 

Look at me sneakily adding goals just so I can strike them off!

Dalinar

Was much too cold yesterday to tackle the deck, but Kiddo 2 and I tackled the kids books instead.  I didn't finish them, but made good progress and feel like I took care of something about my war camp that has been bothering me for a while!

Today's plan:

Kiddo 2 was supposed to go to nursery, but slept terribly so she's staying home with me instead.  Planning on taking a trip up to Lululemon to take a look at what I might like to buy with a gift card instead, then both kiddos have dentist appointments.  Had been planning on doing a strength workout at the gym this morning during nursery, but instead I'll do some push-ups, split squats, plank, and some stretching!

• Like 3

Level 6 Ranger

Way to go on fitting things in where they can be done!

Shallan

I made some unexpected progress on this goal yesterday actually.  Got two emails from my supervisor, one of them discussing my upcoming vetting in A and allowed me to ask about the French vetting process.  The second email was to schedule training for H.  This hadn’t really been on my radar for this month, but is very welcome since it gives me a plan for moving forward!  

I feel like Jasnah has deigned to actually speak to me and has given me a plan for moving forward! 

That's really cool that your company is investing in training for you and actively involved in getting you additional skills!

tinkerer
Level 14 Elven Blacksmith

current challenge - yearlong quest

14 13 12 11 10 9.1 9.0 8 7 6 5 4,2 4.1 4.0 3 2 1