Leaving this here for myself and anyone else that wants to see pistol squat progressions PLUS a troubleshooting guide:

http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/whats-preventing-you-from-doing-pistol-squats-how-to-progress-pistols

A great resource! I'll make good use of this.

Sea Level

Vintage Sea-elf Assassin

Current Challenge: Sea Level I : Respawn
Pro Aris et Focis

"To the Sea, to the Sea! The white gulls are crying, The wind is blowing, and the white foam is flying."

Week 2 wrap-up

Quest 1 - Sandbag Floor Press - did 5x125# on Week 1 and 5x130# on Week 2 - Progress!

Quest 2 - Seated Pistol Squats - dropped the bench height from 18" to 16" - still working on 3 sets of 6

Quest 3 - Eat at a calorie surplus - did a terrible job of tracking this week. 7-day average weight dropped by about a half pound.

Quest 4 - Less focus on phone - stuck to the no phone till the kids are in bed rule pretty well.  Didn't do as great with shutting it off by 10 so I could head to bed, but I have extra motivation to do that now that Steve's book is out and I'm excited to read at bedtime.

Level 32 Minifig Jedi Assassin

Current Challenge  | Battle Log | "Epic" Quest

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6789101111.51213141516171819, 2021222324, 25, 262728293031323334

"A man who wants to do something will find a way; a man who doesn't will find an excuse." -Stephan Dolley, Jr.

"You don't get stronger by skipping workouts." - me, to myself, about 3 times a week

Week 3 wrap-up (and reminder that I need to post more than once a week)

Quest 1 - Sandbag Floor Press - 5x132.5# this week - Progress!

Quest 2 - Seated Pistol Squats - Left leg is feeling strong, right leg still a little wobbly (6/5, 5/4, 4/4 this week)

Quest 3 - Eat at a calorie surplus - did a better job of tracking M-F, still dropped on my 7-day average weight.  reminder to log it here and compare my calories burned with calories consumed.

Quest 4 - Less focus on phone - same old, same old, though I found myself being more mindful of staring at my phone when the kids were around and asking myself why I was really wasting time flipping through Twitter/IG/FB.

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6789101111.51213141516171819, 2021222324, 25, 262728293031323334

"A man who wants to do something will find a way; a man who doesn't will find an excuse." -Stephan Dolley, Jr.

"You don't get stronger by skipping workouts." - me, to myself, about 3 times a week

Out of curiosity... do you modify your Habitica goals to match your NF Challenge goals?  It's something I've thought about doing but have yet to try.

Love your challenge, BTW. Glad I found it. :)

I have in the past, but didn't this time for no good reason. If I have a goal that involves doing something daily or weekly, I'll put it into Habitica.  You may remember the calf raise protocol from a few challenges back.  I added 3 "dailies" to Habitica for the 3 times a day I'm supposed to do my calf raises.  I also had a challenge goal from April 2015 of writing down one positive thing that had happened that day that I've stuck with thanks to Habitica.

I should probably add the no-phone-time in there.  I also have a +/- habit for making/skipping my workout, but I added that mostly for the bonus points because I rarely need the external motivation to not skip my workout.  It's already an ingrained habit.

I like the +/- idea for training.  My training days are pretty variable... enough that I haven't been able to make it a Daily.  I forgot about the negative habit feature.  I can move my training around to fit my schedule, but actually dock myself for truly skipping a workout.  That's a good idea!

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Week 4 wrap-up (and so much for the reminder to post more than once a week)

Quest 1 - Sandbag Floor Press - 5x135# this week, right on target

Quest 2 - Seated Pistol Squats - 6/6, 3/3, 3/2 on Wednesday, 4/3, 2/2, 2/2 on Friday

Quest 3 - Calorie Surplus - Tracked Monday, partial Tuesday, full Wednesday, full Thursday, full Friday

Monday - consumed 2659, burned 2137, surplus = 522

Tuesday - consumed ?, burned 1804, surplus = ?

Wednesday - consumed 1920, burned 2265, surplus = nope

Thursday - consumed 2078, burned 1807, surplus = 271

Friday - consumed 2200, burned 2119, surplus = 81

Quest 4 - Less focus on phone - feel like I did okay with this, but didn't do a good job of tracking it.  Added it as a daily on Habitica.

Challenge wrap-up

Quest 1 - Add 10# to my sandbag floor press - A - went from 5x125# on Week 1 to 5x135# on Week 4

Not sure how much longer I can go adding 2.5# per week, but I'm going to keep riding it until I stall out.

Quest 2 - HIt 3 sets of 6 reps of seated pistol squats for each leg - B - I actually came really close to hitting this goal on Week 1, so I dropped the height of the bench I was sitting back on and that made a big difference in difficulty.  I ended up getting to 1 set of 6 on each leg at the lower height.  I'm also going to switch up my training days to hit pistols on Monday and Friday and hopefully give myself some more recovery time.

Quest 3 - Eat at a 250 calories surplus each day - C - I did pretty poorly at tracking/reporting for this one, so I'm not even sure if I hit my daily surplus.  However, I do know that my average 7-day weight went DOWN each week, so I did not get the end result I was after.

Quest 4 - Less focus on my phone, more focus on my family - C - not quite sure how to grade this one.  I feel like I did okay with the no-phone-from-6-to-9 rule and got the habit started, but it didn't automatically translate to more focus on my family.  A subgoal was to read more at bedtime instead of staring at my phone and I did accomplish that.  I finished the book I was reading at the beginning of the challenge and then started and finished Level Up Your Life.

Overall, I think I made good progress and learned some things to take into the next challenge!

• Like 1

Nice work!  Especially on that floor press.

What did you think of "Level Up Your Life"? Wondering how much I would get out of it since I'm not a newbie to the concept.

I really enjoyed LUYL.  I was afraid it would just be all of Steve's "greatest hits" blog posts in book form, but it wasn't.  There were definitely lots of familiar themes.  The thing that's different about the book is that it's much more "Game of Life" focused than just "Nerd Fitness" focused. I hadn't really ever put much thought into the whole Epic Quest thing, so it was enlightening from that viewpoint.  My main goals since joining NF have been to gain size/strength and the book prompted me to expand my horizons and think about the bigger picture - and also put some concrete goals together.

I'd recommend it.  It's only $10 on Kindle and $12 in hardback from Amazon.  Worth the money.

I really enjoyed LUYL.  I was afraid it would just be all of Steve's "greatest hits" blog posts in book form, but it wasn't.  There were definitely lots of familiar themes.  The thing that's different about the book is that it's much more "Game of Life" focused than just "Nerd Fitness" focused. I hadn't really ever put much thought into the whole Epic Quest thing, so it was enlightening from that viewpoint.  My main goals since joining NF have been to gain size/strength and the book prompted me to expand my horizons and think about the bigger picture - and also put some concrete goals together.

I'd recommend it.  It's only $10 on Kindle and $12 in hardback from Amazon.  Worth the money.

Awesome! Thanks!

Wolverine

Level X Mutant