Tankgrrl: The Ranger's Apprentice

TankGrrl

Welcome,

Alright so this is a respawn because although I have 8 challenges under my belt I have been away for quite some time. Time to go back to square one and kick some good habits back into gear. Hopefully the new challenge format is going to be just what I need. I have run with Scouts before and battled evil with the Adventurers but these days I feel Rangers is more where I'm at.

I apologise in advance if my updates are short and sweet but time is not something that I have to spare as I'm currently working full time, commuting 2 hours a day and finishing my law degree in summer school.

Keeping it simple, I'm just going to steal some goals from the new starting challenge (Thanks Spezzy!)

** The main quest: drop 20kg of spare tire **

**Quest 1: Diet**

• Eat a vegetable with one meal every day - Super easy right?!
  • Track food on MFP at least 5 days per week - I'm so lax now but I used to make much better choices when I saw the cold hard facts about what I was eating

**Quest 2: Fitness**

• Do an 'activity' at least 3 times a week - yoga, kettlebell, walk, run, whatever

**Quest 3: Level up my life**

• Reduce caffeine consumption by 50% - Currently I'm having a can of Pepsi Max everyday and I always reach for caffeine to keep me going when I'm studying
  • Like 5

Level 10 - Ironborn sellsword        Weight loss goal: 90kg --> 70kg      Endurance goal: non-stop 5km       Power goal: 10 full form pushups

Find me: My Fitness Pal | Fitbit | Feb 16 challenge

"I don't want to have a dozen sons. I want to have adventures" ~ Asha Greyjoy

Following along. Those are great goals, and you are wise to make your goals achievable with a 2 hour commute.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

You're here and having another go. You got this.

Woden uses ravens, I use an iphone.

• Like 1

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

Commuting two hours a day? Good grief. My sympathies, I've been there and it sucks.

By law degree, do you mean LLB, JD, or LLM? I think most schools in Australia do JDs, right? *attorney fistbump*

Hello my fellow legal eagle. I'm doing the JD. I'm so close to completing my PLT that I can smell the freedom, only 4 more weeks until my final assignments of all time are due in.

Thanks for stopping by :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD which may explain a lot

• Like 1

Level 10 - Ironborn sellsword        Weight loss goal: 90kg --> 70kg      Endurance goal: non-stop 5km       Power goal: 10 full form pushups

Day 1:

Q1: Dinner had capsicum and onion in it and there was definitely some carrot and onion in the roll I had for lunch, so yeah

All food logged

Q2: 20 mins of Yoga before breakfast today. I've been sort of following this youtube series and really enjoying it.

Q3: Only caffeine today was from tea (I'm not counting that because I'm English and you can pry my cup of tea from my cold dead hands)

Today was a good day even though it was the first day back at work after 2 weeks off. These easy goals feel like a walk in the park, but then it's the stinking to them that the challenge.

• Like 4

Jumping in and suggesting an upgrade to attorney super secret handshake

This is how we attorneys roll

6BSpFe9jYy3Xq.gif

• Like 3

Alright so this is a respawn because although I have 8 challenges under my belt I have been away for quite some time. Time to go back to square one and kick some good habits back into gear.

Respawn or not, you're here now and that is what counts.  Glad to see you around again!

[ Level ?? ] Thunderbro Maximus of the Thunderlords Legion

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

~~ A side goal or a willpower vortex? ~~

Okay so it's day two and I've kind of picked up a side goal. I know, I hear you "You always get all goal orientated, burn out your will power and give up. Don't be a dill"

I'm off on holidays to Europe in 9 weeks and I need to save some cash. Before Christmas I was blowing $100 or more a week on lunch and snacks at work. That is a key cause right there of my weight gain in the last couple of months. It has to stop.

So I need to save the cash, and stop my snacking habit. Two birds one stone right?

So here is my side goal, the only money I'm allowed to spend at work is on a $5 pork roll (the cheapest available filling lunch option in the city). Else I have to bring leftovers or food from home. Anything I buy in the weekend grocery shop and bring with me is fine because it won't be snacks and rubbish.

Two days in and I've only spent some change in my desk draw on a pork roll yesterday. Today's lunch is leftover black bean chicken.

Last time I was this frugal I was a penniless student and I happened to be the slimmest I've ever been. These days I'm far more wealthy but totally overweight.

Let's see what happens. It's only a side goal.

• Like 2

That's a great sidegoal for both financial and waistline reasons. I highly recommend you keep it up.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Sounds like two birds with one stone. Besides, that's the idea behind the switch to a 4 week challenge format. It's not like you risk comitting to the wrong goal for too long ;)

I think this 4 week thing is going to rock.... but then I have a short attention span

• Like 1

**day 3 exercise**

5 x 8kg KB Getups

50 x 12kg KB 2hand swing

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

• Like 2

*** Day 4 AM update ***

Tiny woot this morning:

I was too lazy to make breakfast this morning and just sat there drinking tea and reading Facebook. While I was in the shower I was beating myself up because I knew that I would be hungry by 10am and end up buying a cafe breakfast, breaking my side quest!

This is why I love challenges because I wasn't going out let myself down like that. 10 mins to commute time and I threw some oats and a banana in the microwave while I packed my backpack. I tried to eat it but it was too hot and my Fitbit was buzzing away telling me I had to leave. So like Matthew Damon on Mars I solved the problem in front of my face (I solve 10 problems a day by pretending I'm Matt Damon in the Martian BTW) and threw the piping hot porridge into a coffee travel mug, grabbed a spoon and left the house.

By the time I was on the train, this little bears porridge was just right and my belly was full :-)

Quest update:

Pork roll for lunch yesterday and I have some leftover rice and meatballs with me for today so I'm on track with the side goal.

D3 food logged.

No activity (but I've done 2 for the week already, so maybe tomorrow)

1 small glass of Coke Zero yesterday (not shop bought, leftover from Xmas)

My Nemisis:

I didn't get much done at work yesterday because I got distracted thinking and planning for my holiday in March. It turned out later that my time was wasted because my SO had already looked that stuff up.

Then later in the evening I had planned 3 hours to do a Uni task, once again I got distracted doing holiday research and didn't get it done.

Lack of focus will ruin my impeccable planning. I am going to call my new Nemisis......

Distractor!

And he must be vanquished!

• Like 3

Now that you have identified Distractor your enemy may be beaten to a pulp! Have fun and get in some swings for me.

** Day 6 update **

Q1: Last night's curry had capsicum in it and my lunch roll had some salad. Also, I've updated my MFP with all my food so far this week.

Q2: No further activity but I've certainly got one more in me this weekend.

Q3: 5 work days with no soft drink purchased and no caffeine tablets taken (I don't drink coffee BTW because I don't like it)

Anti-woots

I thought I'd jump on the scale this morning and see if a week of no snacks or soft drink had had any difference. Stupid scale decides that I've actually gained a kilo. Don't worry I don't obsess over the scale or judge my self worth by it. I was just hoping for a little high five. I guess it is shark week so it may just disappear in a puff of smoke next week, I'll live in hope.... or I'm actually in deep denial about what I'm actually putting in my mouth and 4 weeks of tracking with MFP should knock that delusion right out of me.

The side quest went well this week. It was a close call at a couple of points but I stuck to the rules and only spent a total of $15 in the whole work week. I'm prepping some turkey hash for a couple of packed lunches this week so I can not rely on rice. I discovered that leftover rice for lunch makes me feel really bloated in the afternoons.

I did some rangering cool stuff this afternoon and bottled up the beer that I brewed back before Xmas. Every mead hall needs it's mead right???

I've never brewed before so it was a fun new skill to add to my skill tree. Luckily the brewery place keep the cases in cold storage for me so they aren't sitting round the house asking me to drink them everyday. I must take my time ;-)

• Like 3

Sounds like a great week. You are wise not to let the scale be an indicator of success. A pound can be anything. The beer sounds amazing.

The scale is the devil.  A far more accurate indicator of your general fitness is judging your well-being and appearance in the mirror.  If you appear to be losing weight, you likely are.  But performance and well-being are equally as important, from my experience.  :)

[ Level ?? ] Thunderbro Maximus of the Thunderlords Legion

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

** Day 10 update **

Q1: 10/28 veges a day

Q2: 4/12 activities

Q3: 3/14 caffeination events

Side Q: 7/20 days sticking to budget

So what's up this week?

Vege a day is still really easy, even if it's hidden in some sauce etc. This is probably because I have been cooking at home far more than before Xmas. I have a routine down now where I whack the dinner on as soon as I get in from work, eat as quick as possible and then go and study for 3 more hours before bed.

I have slacked a little on the activity which is probably creating my lethargy at the moment. It was only 2 sessions last week in the end (KB and yoga) but I squeezed in another 20 mins of yoga while dinner was cooking last night and a quick 15 min yoga/KB mash up this morning before work. So I'm counting 4 out of my goal of 12.

I was seriously grumpy and Thangry (thirsty/angry) yesterday morning. It was 38c and was sweaty and tired before I got to work. Once there I discovered that my entire previous day's work had been lost. I was in such a bad heads pin that I couldn't get myself started on what I needed to work on, sooo..... I gave in a little on my side quest. I popped over the road to the supermarket and bought a large can of energy drink ($2.80). Having been off caffeine for a week it had the max effect and I was cool,refreshed, focussed and working like a beaver within 5 mins. I didn't stop to yawn until 3pm and managed to redo all the work I did the day before. Worth the money.

Also on the side quest, I spent money on lunch on Monday. I'm not counting it as a fail though because it was the first time some of my new colleagues invited me to join them for lunch. I'm on work experience so getting into the team was totally worth the extra spend. Networking WIN

I cooked up the Ranger turkey hash on Sunday to give me 3 lunches for this week. I had the first yesterday and it was delicious. Yummo!

• Like 3

Sounds like good progress. Your variances were well thought out and for good reasons, and well within the bounds of your goals. Well done.

• Like 1