LadyWitch returns: This time its personal!

LadyWitch

Greetings fellow Adventurers, nerds and all round fantastic people!

I'm LadyWitch and I return to you after a very long journey exploring (getting lost in) the Great Caves of Depression. Where I fought the terrifying monsters Fear, Apathy and Suicidal-thoughts. A back injury early on in my quest led to me being dragged ever deeper by the Miserys, and I became lost... It took many wrong turns and dead ends before I started to find my way back towards the light, but things are finally starting to lighten, and with support from my spirit guides, Kris (my husband), Kitty and Cherry I am finally gaining ground. My footing is now stable enough that I can start setting myself some simple goals, to try and help me get back on a well travelled path...

My goals for the next 4 weeks (Loving that change btw!):

FUEL: Its time to get my eating back under control. My evening meal isn't a problem, as me and my husband cook a meal together from scratch most nights. Its the rest of the day that's the issue. I currently work from home, and therefor have unrestricted access to all the CRAP that is in the house. For this first challenge, I'm going to keep it simple. I am going to track everything I eat on 5/7 days each week. I'm going to use the YouFood app to record everything, as I hate counting calories! If I manage 20/28 days, then I will treat myself with a chai tea kit from my local cafe (their chai tea is AMAZING!!!).

HYDRATE: Drink more water. I normally have no problem with this, but I've noticed that my water consumption has fallen drastically over the last couple of months. My aim is to get back up to 6-8 pint glasses a day. I'll track this using Plant Nanny. If I manage this on 20/28 days then I will treat myself to a new water bottle.

WALK: I'm going to get my ass to Mordor! It doesn't matter HOW I get there, but I'm going to (Obviously this will take more than 4 weeks, but I figure if I can average 5 miles a day then I'll make it!) I've barely been leaving the house, and my physical fitness has deteriorated massively... Just walking to my friends house 5 minutes away exhausts me currently. If I manage to hit my target on 20/28 days then I will treat myself to a new rucksack.

DANCE: I've signed up for a tribal belly dance class on Thursdays (starting this week), I've done arabic before, but never tribal. I'm going to pay for the 12 week course up front, with money I got for Christmas, so that I can't use 'finances' as an excuse to not go. (Its also a mile each way walking, so this will help with my 'Walk' goal). The four week challenge coincides with the first 4 weeks of the class, so if I make it to all 4, then I will treat myself to a pamper night (hot, candle lit bath, paint my nails, re-dye my hair etc) 

I'll do my measurements and photos in the morning. I'm expecting to weigh in at my heaviest ever, but thats fine. 2015 was a shit year for me, and I'm lucky to have survived it at all... So gaining a few extra pound (or stone) is the least of my problems. I'm going to only weigh in at the beginning and end of the challenge, and avoid the scale like the plague in between. I'm trying to switch my focus from 'how much I weigh' to 'how much I can do'. I have a friend who is starting to train as a personal trainer this month, so I've offered to be a guinea pig for him... That will hopefully come into play in the next challenge, but I need to try and get my baseline fitness up a bit first!

So, welcome to my journey. It'll be a bumpy road, and there will no doubt be times when I get lost in the caves again, as I'm not fully free of them yet, but I'm positive that I can make it through (and I've not been positive about anything in a long time!)

Edited to add measurements:

Weight: 195lb (13st 13lb or 88.5kg)

Bust: 43in

Waist: 37in

Hips: 47in

• Like 5

Check out my character here!

Previous challenges: one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven, twelve, thirteen, fourteen, fifteen, sixteen, seventeen, eighteen, nineteen,

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain.

Hello stranger, it's great to see you back! 

I'm really sorry to hear 2015 treated you so badly, but here's to a great 2016. I love your challenge, especially the way paying for the belly dancing up front and walking there and back kills three or four birds with the same stone. That's a really clever way of integrating everything. 

Looking forward to watching you ace this one LadyWitch! 

• Like 1

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

Slightly late on my week one update... Had a bit of a shitty weekend really, and its kinda thrown everything else out. Had a call on Friday evening (while my husband was off at his gaming group) from my uncle to say that my dad was in hospital for some tests, could I go over to take care of my mum. Didn't really have a choice in the matter, so I said yes, begrudgingly. So, I packed a bag, called a taxi and headed over. Had a panic attack in the car, and again on their doorstep, but managed to pass off how pale I was by blaming it on car sickness. So... My mum can't do anything for herself anymore. She can't stand unaided, can't walk at all, and can't even light her own cigarettes anymore. After I arrived, my uncle went to bed (he's also disabled, but not as severely as my mum) and mum decided to sleep in her rise and recline chair, to 'help me'. I go to bed. 20 Minutes later she's pressing her alarm call to go to the loo... Then another 30 minutes pass and she wants to go again. The next call she wanted a cigarette lighting and a cup of tea... All in all, she buzzed for me 8 times in 7 hours... Needless to say I didn't get a wink of sleep, and now know why my dad has been getting stress related illnesses (they just so happen to occur on a Friday evening, when he knows I wont be working the next day... Not saying he does it consciously, but I think being at the hospital for tests is far less stressful than looking after my mum). He's fine though, he'd been having severe headaches due to his blood pressure being through the roof. He got sent home on Saturday afternoon, and I promptly escaped. I was there for just under 24 hours and was essentially in a anxiety attack the entire time... Was shaking, nauseas, headache, migraine like visual disturbance, could barely eat anything while I was there... Of course Saturday morning I was meant to take my cats to the vets for their yearly check up, in the afternoon I was meant to be gaming, and then in the evening I was supposed to be out celebrating a friends birthday... I didn't do any of it. I could've gone to the party, but I was feeling so ill by the time I got home, that I just forced myself to eat something, had a hot bath and went to bed. 

I know that it sounds like I don't love my family, but I do. My mums health problems are all caused by either her smoking (which I think is the reason I'm now under investigation for asthma) or the fact that she was a carer for her parents and my uncle, for my entire life. She once promised me that she would never put me in that situation. A promise she's forgotten. I don't have the temperament, or the stomach, to be a full time carer; or the desire for that matter. Emptying her kimode nearly made me puke, and heaving her in and out of her chair fucked up my back (which I have ongoing problems with). Anyway, as of yesterday (Monday) she's been taken into a care home for 10 days, so that my dad have have a break, and they can hopefully get an overnight care package in place. As much as I hate to say it, my dad and my uncle would both be far better off if she stayed in the care home. And so would she probably. Either way, I've decided that for my health, I can't do another overnight like that. If they ask, I'll say no (easier said than done!) It kinda helps that I'm job hunting, as my current role I work from home, and can technically work from anywhere that has a landline internet connection... Although I have told them that I can now only work from my connection due to needing a fixed IP address (yes, I lied, no I'm not proud of it). But when I get a 'normal' job, I wont be able to drop everything and go over every time they need me to. My asshole of a brother will have to get off his ass and help them instead.

Anyway... job hunt is going well. Have an interview booked for next Tuesday (19th) for one job, and had an email to say I've been short listed for another (don't have a date yet for that one). Both jobs are higher salaries than anything I've ever applied for, and have some fantastic perks... Down side is that they are both customer service roles that require lots of contact with the public... For the last 5 years I've worked from my sofa, with zero contact with my clients (thats all handled through the 'mother company'). But at the same time, I've been deliberately applying for jobs outside my comfort zone, as I feel like I've been stagnating for the last few years. It's time to get out there, get some decent pay and experience under my belt, and finally have paid holiday entitlement (so that I can actually go on holiday, or even just take a day off, without panicking about all the money I'm not earning :P Oh the joys of self-employment!)

Onto my goals:

FUEL: Well, I started well with tracking everything I ate via YouFood. But it kinda got derailed over the weekend, and I've been struggling to get back into it ever since. Will recommit today! I think I probably managed 4/7 rather than my goal of 5/7 but I'm fairly happy with that.

HYDATE: Um... I've been drinking the water, but forgetting to water my plants in Plant Nanny. Tracking aside, I've been drinking 6 pints of water, plus several cups of tea, so I'm on target with this goal. The only day I didn't drink enough, was when I was at my parents, so I'll log this as 6/7.

WALK: OK... Reading back my original post, I apparently didn't specify what my actual step goal was... My fitbit does a happy dance at 10,000 steps, and I haven't had it go off once... My breathing has still been playing up (have another week of tracking my breathing before the doctors will give me anything) so I'm going to cut myself a little slack here... If I can manage 5,000 steps I'll be happy and mark it as a successful day. I still only managed that on 2/7 days, but its a start. I'll aim for 4/7 this week and then 5/7 next week.

DANCE: I did it. It was fun. Its also reminded me that I wanted to find a studio to run a monthly burlesque workshop, where me and my friends can go to practice in a safe space. I've even managed to get a couple of quotes for studios sorted... Anyway, this goal was to attend every week, so thats a pass for last week. 1/4 done.

Bit of a long, rambling update, but I got there in the end...

Previous challenges: one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven, twelve, thirteen, fourteen, fifteen, sixteen, seventeen, eighteen, nineteen,

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain.

Ummm... Rather late with my w2 update, but oh well... That's life!

FUEL: Had a decent week tracking my food on YouFood. Managed 5/7 days, so YAY!

HYDRATE: I've been drinking the water, but am getting really annoyed with Plant Nanny (its a whiney little bitch!) so I haven't actually been tracking... Still going to give myself the brownie points for this though.

WALK: I only managed +5000 steps on 4 days last week, rather than 5. But I'm not going to beat myself up about it. Still been having issues with my breathing (have now got asthma inhalers to try for a month, so hopefully I'll see some improvement)

DANCE: I didn't go last week. Was feeling crap. No excuses... Just didn't go. No points for this week.

Opps... Forgot to do my w3 update... oh well on to week 4...

Start:

Weight: 195lb (13st 13lb or 88.5kg)

Bust: 43in

Waist: 37in

Hips: 47in

End:

Weight: 200.5lb 

Bust: 42in

Waist: 36in

Hips: 47.5in

Well... That sucks. Gained 5.5lb in 4 weeks. But still somehow managed to loose and inch on my bust and waist (not that I can tell from the fit of my clothes).

FUEL: 8/28 (maybe?!) definitely didn't manage this at all. I kept forgetting to take a photo for YouFood until after I'd eaten :P Need to find some way of holding myself accountable for my food choices. I keep using 'my husband likes to bake' as an excuse for eating all the crap, but half the time its shop-brought crap and is therefore more crappy than crap. Anyway, I wont be rewarding myself for this, and will need to rethink my goal for the next challenge.

HYDRATE: Although I stop using Plant Nanny in the first week (it is seriously whiney!) I definitely upped my intake of water, and I've been hitting my goal most days. Not sure of the exact number of days hit though, so I'll hold off on the reward for now.

WALK: I've definitely increased the amount of walking I've been doing, but it's still no where near where I was this time last year. I have 3 weeks until I start my new job which is going to involve 90 minutes of walking to get there/home each day. Before this happens I need to have upped my steps considerably so it doesn't kill me. I may not have hit my goal, but I will need the new rucksack for work, so I may just get it for myself anyway :P

DANCE: Well... This didn't happen. I went to one class, skipped two and then decided to ask for a partial refund. Its not that I didn't enjoy it, because I did. I'm not really sure what made me not want to go, but I guess it doesn't really matter at this point. Goal failed!

Over all, not a great success. BUT I'm still here, I didn't quit completely, I made a couple of changes that have stuck (so far) and I can build on them in the next challenge.

Hello stranger, it's great to see you back! 

I'm really sorry to hear 2015 treated you so badly, but here's to a great 2016. I love your challenge, especially the way paying for the belly dancing up front and walking there and back kills three or four birds with the same stone. That's a really clever way of integrating everything. 

Looking forward to watching you ace this one LadyWitch! 

Hi Deftona!!! Thanks :) Its great to be back! I have been semi-active on the Academy facebook page, but even that had fallen by the wayside lately... But I'm back with a vengeance! Can't wait to start kicking 2016s ass!!! 

• Like 1

Welcome back! I feel like there are a lot of people respawning this challenge (me, too), so best of luck with that. I really like the way you've set up your challenge and especially your attitude about the whole thing. It's great to hear you're starting to be positive again :) Lots of love and good thoughts heading your way!

• Like 1

"The way you spend your days is the way you live your life"

Challenges: Current | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

As a fellow fighter of depression - I offer you big hugs  *hugs*

good luck!

• Like 1

Level: 15 Race: Human Class: Adventurer (Sailor Senshi/Aes Sedai)

STR: 14    DEX: 12    STA: 16   CON: 28   WIS: 26    CHA: 15 

(unspent points: 6? challenges worth)

Weight Loss Progress (SW 12/5/15 272)

Mini-Goal: Get back down to my low 152.2 - SW 6/1/17 170.4 - CW 6/10/17: 166.6

regained the last few months - back on track losing in June

My Battle Log|My NF Character Sheet

Challenges:

1/16-2/16-3/16-4/16-5/16-6/16-7/16-8/16-9/16-11/16-12/16-1/17-2/17-

Thanks for all the encouragement folks! Done my weigh in and measurements this morning, and added them to my initial post. I'm 1 lb off my heaviest... Which doesn't surprise me at all. I actually expected to be over 14 stone, so it was almost a pleasant surprise. My fitbit is charged and on my person, and I've already walked to the doctors and back. Bad news: I've had a cough for 9 weeks now. Already tried a 5 day course of antibiotics (did nothing) and had a chest x-ray (which was normal). My GP now thinks I may have asthma. Which doesn't help with the exercise side of my life! I have to do this breath flow test twice a day for the next two weeks and then book an appointment with the asthma nurse... She had me do one while I was there so she could show me how to do it, and it came out at 320(ml?) which is apparently low... Might explain why the 10 minute walk there had me puffing for breath :P and here I was thinking I was just unfit! Will pop to the chemists later to get the breath flow thingy and my anti-depressant refill.

Otherwise, today is looking ok-ish. My husband has a horrid cold and has taken a sick day (he's still in bed at 9.30am which is very unusual for him) so that derails some of my plans (mostly I'd planned on tidying the bedroom!) but I will go for a walk later and pick up some nice healthy freggies and meats so that I can start getting my diet back under control. YouFood has been logged for my breakfast (not particularly healthy - GF granola and DF yogurt with extra raisins) but its a start. I haven't got any 'change food' goals this challenge, so as long as I'm aware of what I'm having, then its a start.

Think I'm going to try making some parsnip (and carrot?) soup later... If I make a big pot of it, then it can do for lunches for the rest of the week. Evening meals will be a meat and veg combo... So then I just have to be more aware of snacking and try to find healthier alternatives for breakfast (that aren't egg based - I get sick of eggs!)

. Bad news: I've had a cough for 9 weeks now. Already tried a 5 day course of antibiotics (did nothing) and had a chest x-ray (which was normal). My GP now thinks I may have asthma. Which doesn't help with the exercise side of my life! I have to do this breath flow test twice a day for the next two weeks and then book an appointment with the asthma nurse... She had me do one while I was there so she could show me how to do it, and it came out at 320(ml?) which is apparently low... Might explain why the 10 minute walk there had me puffing for breath :tongue: and here I was thinking I was just unfit! Will pop to the chemists later to get the breath flow thingy and my anti-depressant refill.

Sorry to hear about your potential diagnosis. But don't worry, I have asthma too and with the right medication it won't stand in the way of exercise. If you remember Iggy (Iron Glider), he managed to all but cure his asthma by losing weight and getting fitter so hopefully you will see some health gains from your healthy lifestyle too. 

• Like 1

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

Sorry to hear about your potential diagnosis. But don't worry, I have asthma too and with the right medication it won't stand in the way of exercise. If you remember Iggy (Iron Glider), he managed to all but cure his asthma by losing weight and getting fitter so hopefully you will see some health gains from your healthy lifestyle too. 

I actually dont mind the fact that I may have asthma, I just want an actual diagnosis, so I can start fighting back!

• Like 1

Hi LadyWitch! Sorry to hear about your 2015 being harsh. But here you are! That's all that matters :) Just for you to know: 2012-2013 were hard on me, and I gained weight (from 75 kg to 90 kg), but you know what? This is a whole new chance for you to start fresh, and look at things a whole new way. Recovery is hard, but so are you. When it gets hard, tell yourself that the bad feelings will pass. Because they will. Maybe focus on a nice hobby, when the bad vibes hit you?

I'm curious to see how you'll do! :)

• Like 1

-:*~ Journal ~*:-

Good to see you back :)  I made a comeback last challenge, though it didn't go as well as planned.  I feel like I fell into that cave of depression too.  Last year was horrible for me fitness wise.  Fighting my way back though!  Hope you feel better soon.  For you and the hubby.  

• Like 1

So Monday and Tuesday were both on track with my food tracking and water consumption, but I've not been doing as much walking as I'd like, mostly due to the fact that my lungs feel like crap! Been tracking my 'peak breath flow' twice a day, on day two of that now, only another 12 days to go of that. Still hoping to start belly dancing on Thursday, but I'll have to see how my lungs go... Hoping to get some housework done today, and going to help a friend get some bits up on eBay. 

• Like 1

Hope your lungs improve soon, that sounds pretty unpleasant. Hope the breath tracking helps, too. 

What sort of things do you think you'll be learning in belly dancing?

Sarah Barr - Level 13 Warhobbit

STR 18 | DEX 7 | STA 17 | CON 38 | WIS 28 | CHA 12

Challenges:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19 20  21  22  23  24  25 (Current)

Accountabiddlydoodlies Group                 Current Weight: 106.1kg                      Recipe Book               

"I hold... that a man should strive to the uttermost for his life's set prize" - Robert Browning

Instagram (Things I have painted or made.)

To-Do List
Idiot Jar Limit: £5.00        Current Idiot Jar Total: £0.00     Current Idiot Jar Forfeit: [TBD].

So, I've been tracking my food and water intake, not been doing so well on the walking, as I've got a cold on top of the suspected asthma, but I'll be damned if I let it stop me going to the first belly dancing class tonight. My husband has been off work ill all week, which has kinda stalled most of the things I'd planned on doing with this week, but I have done some more job hunting, and will hopefully have an interview on Tuesday next week. Its not the most ideal job, as its a half hour train ride away, but at this point any job is better than no job!

• Like 2

Hey Girl --- I'm so glad you found me on FB. We actually have lots in common.

I have super serious anxiety and depression issues. Treated by a shrink on a normal basis. It sucks when that is out of wack. I totally get it.

Buuut some helpful tips for your asthma.. Note I'm not a nurse or a dr... But I've had asthma since I was a kid.. In school they taught us how to handle asthma attacks w.o our medication for a small period of time in an emergency. First, caffeine helps open your airways during an asthma attack, it is a stimulant you know. So a small piece of chocolate or a caffeinated beverage will help open those airways up when it feels like you're breathing thru a coffee straw.

Second, half the battle w asthma, is recognizing it and not panicking and having an anxiety/asthma attack when you start getting tight. When you're walking try breathing in your nose and out your mouth to get a rhythm going so you don't start sucking air.

Anyway -- good luck w ur dancing today. I can't wait to hear how it goes!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Current Challenge Thread ---> Here!

Mom. Wife. Engineer. Kicking Ass & Taking Names!

Hey Girl --- I'm so glad you found me on FB. We actually have lots in common.

I have super serious anxiety and depression issues. Treated by a shrink on a normal basis. It sucks when that is out of wack. I totally get it.

Buuut some helpful tips for your asthma.. Note I'm not a nurse or a dr... But I've had asthma since I was a kid.. In school they taught us how to handle asthma attacks w.o our medication for a small period of time in an emergency. First, caffeine helps open your airways during an asthma attack, it is a stimulant you know. So a small piece of chocolate or a caffeinated beverage will help open those airways up when it feels like you're breathing thru a coffee straw.

Second, half the battle w asthma, is recognizing it and not panicking and having an anxiety/asthma attack when you start getting tight. When you're walking try breathing in your nose and out your mouth to get a rhythm going so you don't start sucking air.

Anyway -- good luck w ur dancing today. I can't wait to hear how it goes!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Thanks so much for the advice! I guess I was one of the lucky ones to not have childhood asthma (rather surprising actually considering the amount my mums smokes) but it does mean I've been completely unprepared for this... Quite frankly its been terrifying! But I have people around me who understand asthma (turns out my husband had it as a kid, and one of my best friends is currently under assessment for it too) so the fear at least is improving... My breathing not so much!

Belly dancing was fab! I've done arabic before, for about a year, so some of the movements are similar, but the actual structure of the classes and how they choreo routines (as in they dont, its all follow the leader) is very new. One of my friends also joined yesterday, and turns out that two other friends who I haven't seen in a while also go! So it was a happy reunion... My abb's ache like crazy this morning!

On the negative side of things... My work situation is getting increasingly terrible. I've been a self-employed moderator for 4-5 years now. I basically work as a contractor for 'the mother company' who provide me with projects to moderate (talking on-line moderation here, forums, FB, etc). Recently one of the big projects that I work, decided that they weren't renewing half of their sites, so my work hours dropped. Then yesterday (before dancing) I had an email to say that they were further reducing hours and as such the team would need to shrink. After dancing I had another email to say 'Oh by the way, we're cutting you from the team altogether'... I'd been half expecting it, but it was like being kicked in the gut. I'm meant to get 45 hours a week from them, I'm going to be lucky if I get 10 now. Needless to say, this caused my depression to flare up, and I spent an hour or so crying, and found myself back in the 'I don't know why I bother, I'd be better off dead' mindset... I've been job hunting since before Christmas, as I knew my hours were going down, but other than one interview with what turned out to be a pyramid scheme, I've not heard back (I know that the holiday period puts lots of things on hold, so I'm trying to be patient). I MAY have one on Tuesday, but I don't know for sure yet... Anyway, I had messages off of two friends... One works for Virgin and offered to do an internal referral for me (the job in question is lower paid than I'd like, but at this point any job is better than what I have) and the other is the guy who got me into moderation in the first place, he was laid off before Christmas and has been in talks with another moderation company, and has offered to drop my name into the conversation... Both of them made me remember that there are ppl who care, and it helped bring me out of the negative thought cycle... So now its the waiting game. Waiting for next weeks work schedule to be published, and waiting for interviews... All the while trying to think of this as an opportunity rather than my world falling apart...

Super glad you liked the belly dancing class. It sounds like so much fun!

Fingers crossed for better job prospects - that is such a frustrating experience.

How are you liking the YouFood app?

I've been a bit lax with the YouFood app... I keep forgetting to log stuff! Going to re-commit to it today and do better :)

Ugh -- the job thing sucks.  Def sorry to hear that.  

The belly dancing sounds awesome!! And awesome that soo many of your friends are already doing it! : ) 

Belly dancing is one of my passions (hell, any kind of dancing really!) but my health has been so bad lately I've not been doing anything... So this is a step in the right direction!

I've written my week 1 update... A bit late, but better that than never. It's over on the first page of the thread if anyone wants to go and read it... Its a bit rambling and a bit whiney, but oh well, had a shit week, and ended it feeling like I'd been beaten up. Week 2 is (so far) shaping up to be better... Fingers crossed its stays 'better'.

Ooooh made parsnip and carrot soup for dinner last night... first time I've ever made soup, and it was DELICIOUS!!! Between us, we managed to finish the entire batch... So much for having left overs for lunch today! But I'll know to make more next time :)

• Like 1