Mark D Rebels Against Gravity

Mark D

After a couple challenges as a Warrior I've decided to take a step back. I think I jumped into barbells a little too quickly, and while I'd like to get back into them at some point this challenge will be back to basics.

Goal the first: get my eating back on track after the excesses of the Thanksgiving thru New Years season. Cut WAY back on beer and sweets. Meat and veggies. My goal is to drop six pounds over four weeks, a modest goal but I think doable.

Goal the second: do a push up. A proper one from the floor. I've been doing them on the stairs at home and can currently do ten from the third step up. I plan to get back to the gym and use the Smith Machine for this purpose.

Goal the third: work toward a pull up. I don't expect to get there in four weeks, but I think I can make some progress using the latest pull down machine at the gym, then graduating to inverted rows, assisted pull ups, and negatives.

Upper body strength has always been an issue for me, I've always had powerful legs but not so much in the arms, so I'm hoping to remedy that.

• Like 3

I'll be following along, sounds like we have similar goals!

I am switching my focus to body weight workouts for the next 3 months to work on my currently non-existant push up skills and the dream is to be able to do at least one pull up.

Moonkin 

Race: Dryad Class: Druid 

Challenges:            

Battle Log: 

Character:  https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/44134

"The harder the world, the fiercer the honour"

Following! I have similar goals (which will be posted as soon as I write them out...)

“What is the nature of the search? you ask. The search is what anyone would undertake if he were not sunk in the everydayness of his own life. To become aware of the search is to be onto something. Not to be onto something is to be in despair.†- Walker Percy

Sancte Sebastian, ora pro me.

Following along! Will you be judging your first goal on the weight lost or by what you eat/ don't eat?

Mostly what I eat and don't eat, using weight loss to determine if its working.

Establishing starting point: this morning my home scale read 238, meaning I gained about six pounds over the Thanksgiving/Christmas season. Not as bad as I feared. I can do sets of ten push ups on the third step on a flight of stairs. Can't do a push up from the floor. Can't touch my toes (secondary goal).

Indont have a life goal, I'm concentrating on fitness goals.

• Like 1

And since the NY Jets have lost their last game, and the Steelers won, that means no Jets playoff games. Which will drastically reduce the amount of beer I'll drink over the next month.

And I can wash my Jets hoodie.

• Like 1

This morning, up before the birds started chirping (4:30) to get to the gym when they open at 5:00.

Inclined push-ups on the Smith Machine (hooks in 4th peg from the bottom).  

15/7/10/8 reps (I didn't rest long enough before the second set, and ran out of gas on the last).

30 second stretch-to-touch-toes between sets.

Lat pull-down:

110 lb, 10/10/8 (couldn't complete last set).

My plan is to lower the bar on the smith machine when I can complete 3 sets of 15 with a two minute rest between sets.  I'll increase the weight on the lat pull down when I can do three sets of ten.

• Like 1

I can report that my arms are SORE this morning, so I guess I did something right!

Yes. Is this DOMS or is it from this morning's workout and therefore tomorrow's DOMS will be worse?

sent from my tiny particle accelerator

Granny Nogg - Level 10 Warrior

Battle Log| Challenge 8 |Challenge 9 | Challenge 10

My Job | My Epic Quest | Instagram

"Those are not my monkeys."

Yes. Is this DOMS or is it from this morning's workout and therefore tomorrow's DOMS will be worse?

It was from yesterday morning's workout.  I've actually had much worse DOMS when I've worked my legs, I'm convinced lunges are one of the torments of Hell......

This is in my shoulders, biceps and triceps, and down my back.  Just enough that I know I did something.

• Like 1

It was from yesterday morning's workout. I've actually had much worse DOMS when I've worked my legs, I'm convinced lunges are one of the torments of Hell......

This is in my shoulders, biceps and triceps, and down my back. Just enough that I know I did something.

Bahahahaha torments of hell. I guffawed and had to clean my phone screen. Yes. Hell should include lunges. Walking lunges. With rice crispy knees.

Because of a car situation I didn't get to the gym yesterday, but did do some push-ups on the stairs last night.  I REALLY need to work out in the morning, I just don't have the energy after a full day of work.

I've been eating pretty well.  We used the new spiralizer last nite to make zucchini "noodles" with a bolognese sauce (made with turkey) which was very tasty.

My wife and I both find that when we eat better we sleep better.  Well, largely SHE sleeps better, which means I sleep better.  

• Like 1

Well in the first week of the challenge I lost two pounds, according to my home scale.  It's a start.

I've eaten pretty well. lots of meat and veggies, very little bread or flour.  I had a few beers on Friday, lunch out on Friday is my reward for not smacking anyone all week at work,

It was rough getting to the gym due to weather and car issues (in a nutshell, I forgot to get my parking sticker for my car, to park at the train station, so my wife had to drive me.  Which meant either playing musical cars each morning, or leaving her car behind mine and not going to the gym.  I didn't want to use her car for the gym because then she'd need to waste time changing seats and mirrors, and I didn't want to stink her car up either.  I'm  good husband.

I did do some push ups on the stairs at home, and some stretching.  I also got back to using the stairs instead of escalators during my daily commute, and decided to see just how many stairs that is.  There are two places with significant numbers of stairs, coming up from the PATH train and the NYC subway. The trip from PATH platform to street level is 102 steps in two "runs" (there are landings on the runs, but none more than one or two paces.  "Runs" are separated by a walk of some distance.)  From subway to street is another 78 stairs also in two runs.  So 180 stairs, and according to a google search there's an average of 12 stairs to a flight, so I climb the equivalent of 15 flights of stairs each morning.  This week I think I'll count what I go DOWN as well, because I go up them on the way home.....

All told not a bad first week.

No, not bad at all, Mark. Smart thinking on those stairs. That's good body weight work!

Huzzah to a 2-pound loss. And lol to the lunch out reward. If the alternative is workplace violence. ...I know, I know, ...you're kidding. Mostly...

So are you going to get a sticker for your car this coming week, or consider the stairs good enough?

No, not bad at all, Mark. Smart thinking on those stairs. That's good body weight work!

Huzzah to a 2-pound loss. And lol to the lunch out reward. If the alternative is workplace violence. ...I know, I know, ...you're kidding. Mostly...

So are you going to get a sticker for your car this coming week, or consider the stairs good enough?

I got the sticker, so I'm good to go for that.

Getting to the gym is hard in winter anyway, I have to get up at 4:30 to get there, then get to work on time.  I'm keeping the push ups and stretches at home as an alternative, and doing the stairs either way.  I'm hoping to progress well enough that in Spring I can get back to barbells, as I mentioned I think I jumped into that a little too quickly, wound up getting hurt a couple times, and found it hard when I have a head cold which is pretty much constant in winter.  Riding hte NYC subways will do that to you, I'm sure I come in contact when germs they haven't NAMED yet, let alone cured.

Ah! I remember you mentioning the barbells and backing off for awhile. Do you have dumbbells with plates at home? If so, that could take the place of the gym when you can't get there, and be a stepping stone to the barbells?

This morning, got up before the birdies to go to the gym.

I decided that, since I have a goal of reps/sets for each exercise I'm doing, I should make sure I meet the total reps goal if not the sets, then increase the difficulty of I can't make the reps in that number of sets.

So were was this morning's workout:

Inclined push-ups (goal is 15 reps and 3 sets):

Bar on 4th set of pegs up on Smith Machine

15/15/7/8.  (1 1/2 minutes between sets, and a 30 second stretch-to-toes after each set).

Lat pull-downs (goal 10 reps and 3 sets)

110 lb

10/10/7/3

Did the stairs on the morning commute too.  I realized I never counted the stairs on the way home, I need to do that one night this week.  It won't be the same as the morning, the one train station is very deep, so I walk up those stairs in the morning and down in the evening.  Once I have a count for the trip home, I'll know how much I walk both up and down both ways.

Breakfast today is an egg tortilla (basic recipe provided by NF a couple months ago) with chicken sausage, sweet potatoes and spinach.  Lunch will be a salad with leftover sliced steak and dressing made from a mix my wife buys that is pretty much all spices, little if any sugar, mixed with balsamic vinegar and olive oil.  Snack is an apple and some strawberries.

My wife is upset because after a week of eating healthy she hasn't lost any weight.  I keep suggesting she take a closer look at her calories, because if she's consuming too many calories for her basic requirements and activity level she won't lose weight even if the calories are all from veggies and healthy protein.  For some reason she resists this, insisting that she eats healthy.  I'm afraid she thinks she's OK because she doesn't eat at much as I do, but (a) I'm male, so I have a higher base metabolic rate ( B) I'm a BIG guy (even when I was in shape I weighed north of 200 lb) which means an even higher base metabolic rate and © I have a much higher activity level than she does from my daily commute (fitbit records generally 6000-7000 steps a day if I don't try to do anything extra, plus the aforementioned stairs).  

• Like 1

Go job getting to the gym early!  Way to get the week started!

"Destiny is important, see, but people go wrong when they think it controls them. It's the other way around." - Terry Pratchett

Lift: 1 of 24                                             Eat Right: 1 of 42                              Stay Sane: 1 of 42   

This morning, got up before the birdies to go to the gym.

I decided that, since I have a goal of reps/sets for each exercise I'm doing, I should make sure I meet the total reps goal if not the sets, then increase the difficulty of I can't make the reps in that number of sets.

So were was this morning's workout:

Inclined push-ups (goal is 15 reps and 3 sets):

Bar on 4th set of pegs up on Smith Machine

15/15/7/8. (1 1/2 minutes between sets, and a 30 second stretch-to-toes after each set).

Lat pull-downs (goal 10 reps and 3 sets)

110 lb

10/10/7/3

Did the stairs on the morning commute too. I realized I never counted the stairs on the way home, I need to do that one night this week. It won't be the same as the morning, the one train station is very deep, so I walk up those stairs in the morning and down in the evening. Once I have a count for the trip home, I'll know how much I walk both up and down both ways.

Breakfast today is an egg tortilla (basic recipe provided by NF a couple months ago) with chicken sausage, sweet potatoes and spinach. Lunch will be a salad with leftover sliced steak and dressing made from a mix my wife buys that is pretty much all spices, little if any sugar, mixed with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Snack is an apple and some strawberries.

My wife is upset because after a week of eating healthy she hasn't lost any weight. I keep suggesting she take a closer look at her calories, because if she's consuming too many calories for her basic requirements and activity level she won't lose weight even if the calories are all from veggies and healthy protein. For some reason she resists this, insisting that she eats healthy. I'm afraid she thinks she's OK because she doesn't eat at much as I do, but (a) I'm male, so I have a higher base metabolic rate ( B) I'm a BIG guy (even when I was in shape I weighed north of 200 lb) which means an even higher base metabolic rate and © I have a much higher activity level than she does from my daily commute (fitbit records generally 6000-7000 steps a day if I don't try to do anything extra, plus the aforementioned stairs).

Smart on the workout goals for reps vs sets.

Def going to look up that egg tortilla recipe! Glad you mentioned it.

Agreed about your wife and not losing anything. Does she care about statistical analysis? It's well known among dietitians and nutritionists that those who track their food daily lose on average 50% more weight than those who don't track.

Granny Nogg:

Here's the link to the recipe, it's Tortilla Espanola:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2015/08/13/how-to-make-tortilla-espanola/

We made it somewhat heavier on the sausage.  We find it's enough for breakfast for both of us for three days, we just cut it into six pieces.