Kyellan, the Gray Sentinel: The Horns of War

Kyellan

"War!" Rika hissed

When I started out, enough people called me out on hissing non-sibilant words that I feel the need to pass on the experience. :)

• Like 2

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

When I started out, enough people called me out on hissing non-sibilant words that I feel the need to pass on the experience. :)

Haha, good point. I knew it didn't quite feel right. Thanks!

"You are what you do. Choose again, and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

Challenges

109 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 |

Okay, time for a challenge update. I'll get to my story update a little later on today.

I'm tracking calories every day. My MFP is looking good, and I've been coming in under my TDEE-500 calorie goal regularly. I'll weigh in for the week tomorrow morning, so we'll see where it stands.

My last 5k run was Sunday--but it's supposed to rain on Sunday. So either I'll go out in the rain, or I'll go Saturday morning. It's supposed to be a warmer day despite the rain, so that probably wouldn't be terrible. I'll try to keep it to 5k this time... no accidental 4-milers. My knees were not too happy with me on Monday & Tuesday about that.

At lightsaber class on Tuesday I used both hands equally, and encountered no pain problems with my hand at all. I think it's finally really getting better. I had some aches in it the other day, but that seemed to be more connected to tight muscles in my back than my actual hand being an issue. My grip is getting stronger, I'm no longer feeling occasional tingles, I can hand-write without pain again, and I think it may be finally healing back to good.

Still tracking all my YNAB expenses. It's just like tracking calories, really. I think, despite higher heating and electric bills this month, that I'm actually going to end up with some money to put toward down-the-road things. It'll be much clearer after my paycheck next week.

Additionally, I'm trying to add at least one short weight lifting session every couple of days. I've got a weight bench in my living room now, and despite the fact that I really didn't want to this morning, I went down to the bench, put on my gloves, and did a 5x5 lift at 70+bar, plus a 3x5 set of inverted rows. Trying to get all the muscles ready for the Mudder. I need to be able to pull my weight over a wall before March or so, something I've never been able to do in my life.

Overall, doing well and feeling better. I'm actually looking forward to my next run... hoping I can recapture a bit of the 'in-the-zone' feeling I found in my 4th mile last week.

Edit: And oh yeah--I'm officially signed up for the Mudder, on Team Nerd Fitness. Holy crap, I'm actually going to do this. That is all.

• Like 6

Challenges

You're doing fantastic man!!  Out pacing me so far, that's for sure!  I need to step up my game! 

I need to be able to pull my weight over a wall before March or so, something I've never been able to do in my life.

Edit: And oh yeah--I'm officially signed up for the Mudder, on Team Nerd Fitness. Holy crap, I'm actually going to do this. That is all.

Why march?  The mudder isn't until June.  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Why march?  The mudder isn't until June.  

Because, if I can do it once in March, and then keep training, I'll be able to do it the requisite multiple times on Mudder Day :D Looking ahead, you see.

• Like 2

Challenges

Because, if I can do it once in March, and then keep training, I'll be able to do it the requisite multiple times on Mudder Day :D Looking ahead, you see.

See there you go thinking again!  haha.  Good call.  I like it. 

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

By the end of the training day, the recruits were half-frozen, dead-tired, and covered in freshly-forming bruises. Hawkfeather hadn't gone easy on them today--unarmed combat drills, weapons drills, calisthenics and more had all been on the agenda, and the pace had been relentless. Kyellan felt as though he'd been beaten with the chef's meat tenderizer from head to toe, but beneath the pain on the surface, he felt a lively spark burning deep within.

They had shed their training gear just inside the door, and slowly made their way up to the priory's second floor and their chambers for some much-needed rest. The corridors weren't exactly warm during a winter's eve, but Kyellan barely noticed, despite his rumpled state of half-dress. The halls were much quieter--several cohorts had already formed and ridden out during the day, making their way to the impending war front, where they could do the most good for the most people.

After washing off most of the caked-on sweat and finding something warm and dry to wear, Kyellan found that he still couldn't sleep. He stared blankly at the ceiling for a time--it was difficult to tell how long--but finally, he rose again from his simple bed and made his way to the recruits' common room, only a few doors down from his own.

He'd expected to find it empty, but instead nearly everyone was there. Rika, Arik, Lorne and Athe all occupied spaces near the hearth in companionable silence. Jace and Bonn were nowhere in evidence, but it was hardly a surprise--those two slept like the dead, save for the obnoxiously-loud snoring.

Lorne looked up with a smile as he entered. "Welcome to the midnight watch."

"Oh, is that what we're doing?" Kyellan found a thin cushion and pulled it into a warm spot by the fire. "I thought this was just the place for people who couldn't sleep."

"That too," Athe agreed with a yawn.

"With everything Hawkfeather put us through today, you'd think we'd all sleep like Jace," Rika said.

Arik pursed his lips in thought. "The priory feels different tonight. The energy has changed. There's a sense of... dissipating warmth, I think. Perhaps it's made us all feel a bit colder."

"Aren't you just a ray of sunshine," Athe teased, but Kyellan felt a sense of agreement fill the room. The place had changed, and so soon, so quickly. It felt empty, and Kyellan wasn't sure he liked the feeling--as though it might never be the same again.

"It's only another week and a half until the swearing ceremony," Kyellan said after a moment, trying to lighten the mood. "Hawkfeather seemed pleased with us today... in his way."

"Do you think they might send any of us home?" Rika asked, clasping her hands with a worried look.

"Bonn, maybe," Arik said, and they all laughed quietly. Poor Bonn--always the butt of that particular joke. Good thing he wasn't around to hear it for tonight's thousandth repetition. "I think the rest of us will be all right."

"Well, don't you all worry about it," Athe said, relaxing into the chair she'd managed to secure and waving one arm languidly. "Even if they send you all home, I'll be sure to make you proud when I join my first real cohort."

"If you're getting in, I'm getting in." Kyellan turned toward her and folded his arms. "No way I'm getting beaten out by a merchant baby."

Athe hurled a cushion at him, which bounced off Kyellan's face with marksman's precision. Everyone laughed again as Kyellan blinked, grinning foolishly.

"That's for insulting my parentage," Athe sniffed playfully. "Peasant."

The evening devolved into a quiet cacophony of friendly insults and laughter, until everyone was thoroughly relaxed and finally very tired. One by one, they retired to their rooms, until Kyellan and Athe were the only two left in the common room. They sat together on cushions in front of the dying embers in the hearth, eking out what little remaining warmth they could from the fading orange glow.

"Do you really think they'll swear us in?" Athe asked, resting her head on his shoulder.

Kyellan was quiet for a moment. "I don't know. I hope so."

"Me too." Athe stretched, yawned, and got to her feet. "Get some sleep, dunderhead. You'll need it for when I kick you all over the training yard again tomorrow." She vanished through the doorway a moment later.

Kyellan hitched a woolen blanket around his shoulders and turned about, leaning his back against the warm stones beside the fireplace. He leaned his head back against the wall, intending to rest for just a moment before returning to his chambers.

When he awoke, it was dark.

And he smelled smoke.

END CH. 1

-------------------

• Like 5

Challenges

Wow, Jedi, Lichtenauer student AND a bench in a living room. I think we would understand each other.  ;) 

Living room

• Like 2

Level 2 Paladin (Warrior/Monk)

Challenge 1 2 3

Lazy workaholic, Deeply flawed perfections, Pacifist warrior, Kind cynic

Upholding the Paladin code

100%
100%

10 pull-ups in 2016 For reals this time

50%
50%

Wow you ended this chapter with a real cliffhanger. (Did you know, that there isn't a German word for "cliffhanger"? A lot of people use the English expression instead of describing it. ;))

Good that your hand is healing. I suspected, that it got better, because you mentioned last year, that typing also hurt.

Your dedication in general is inspiring. That's why I liked your update.

• Like 2

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

Hey, I'm a little late to the party... but following anyway. :-)

Thanks for coming along :D

Wow, Jedi, Lichtenauer student AND a bench in a living room. I think we would understand each other.  ;) 

I'd say that's a good bet.

lightsaber-living-room.jpg

Wow you ended this chapter with a real cliffhanger. (Did you know, that there isn't a German word for "cliffhanger"? A lot of people use the English expression instead of describing it. ;))

Good that your hand is healing. I suspected, that it got better, because you mentioned last year, that typing also hurt.

Your dedication in general is inspiring. That's why I liked your update.

So, if you weren't going to use the English expression 'cliffhanger', how would you describe it in German? I ask out of overwhelming curiosity :D "Ein Kapitel, was verlässt mir mit keine Auflösung"  ? (Sorry if I butchered that)

Thanks for following along. I'm also very happy that my hand is feeling better. My Sifu might actually let me test for my white sash soon if it really is getting better!

• Like 4

Challenges

So, if you weren't going to use the English expression 'cliffhanger', how would you describe it in German? I ask out of overwhelming curiosity :D "Ein Kapitel, was verlässt mir mit keine Auflösung" ? (Sorry if I butchered that)

Before I could have jonkingly said: "Jetzt hast du uns aber an einer wirklich spannenden Stelle hängen lassen. ;-)" (Just because you would know, that I wanted to make a wordplay and didn't want to use "hängen lassen" / "leave somebody hanging" in a negative way.)

For me a cliffhanger is, when a unit of a told story ends at an exciting moment or an unclear situation. Here the author mentioned smoke at the end. (( German: Der Autor beendete sein Kapitel an einer spannenden Stelle, indem er den Geruch von Rauch erwähnte. Es ist nicht klar, was als nächstes geschehen wird.))

I'm really not that good in translating word by word, so don't take it as accurate translation.

• Like 1

STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

Welp, I went ahead and started my NerdFitness character.

Looks like the Epic Quest stuff is the only part available for free--the actual class level is only unlocked by joining the Academy. (Not that I begrudge them at all, they've got to have a good lead-in for the Academy, since it's basically using a simplified version. It's a fantastic marketing idea. My hat off to the team for that one.)

I think there's a good argument for managing things however works best for you. I tried Habitica/HabitRPG, and found it way too persnickety and finicky for my taste. I personally like the idea of having a list of the bigger goals/intentions, and letting the smaller stuff fall into the challenges. I've built a lot of good habits (and a default tendency to do something when I say I'm going to) over the past year by being accountable to myself and to you all here on the forums. I'm not sure I (personally) need an XP bar or stat points or what-have-you, but I know it would be very helpful for a lot of folks.

So, anyway, I just wanted to share what I've found. The interface is pretty cool, and with a few tweaks I think it will make a nice public list of major goals and (eventually) achievements. 

Here's my character, if you're interested in checking out what I've got started.

• Like 5

Challenges

Neat! I'm glad you're getting so much out of the new system. It all seems to work well as its own thing as well as a lead-in for the Academy. Fun!

Also, I'm glad to see that you appear to be working on a general prep-based approach to training. One avenue of training versus another doesn't have the power to help you in these things; you need a little bit of everything.

Glad to hear your grip is doing better. Be careful with it - all those small muscles don't quite react like the big ones do, and you don't want to flirt with damaging them.

It all looks good from out here. I have no idea if I can put the funds together in time, but if I can, I will look for the team. :)

• Like 2

So, I made my first attempt at sushi this morning. I constructed an inside-out smoked salmon & avocado roll. It was delicious, but my technique was not sound.

I probably should have taken a picture, but my wife and I were so eager to see if it tasted like sushi that I forgot. :/ Next time. The answer was 'yes', it DID taste like sushi! So now I just need to get it to look like sushi. :P

I haven't updated the story because I'm taking a bit to ponder what's going to happen next. Will likely update again either tomorrow or Monday.

• Like 3

Challenges

Oh, nom. Avocado and salmon is my favorite sushi. :)

Did you go running on Saturday? I hope the weather was with you.

• Like 1

Spoiler

Oh, nom. Avocado and salmon is my favorite sushi. :)

Did you go running on Saturday? I hope the weather was with you.

It was delicious! :D For my next trick, I plan to make an entire sushi & miso soup dinner, with three kinds of maki rolls. I just haven't figured out which three yet.

I actually ended up running this morning! It was pouring rain, and my phone couldn't maintain a satellite connection (so the numbers are all messed up) but I did it, and I ran 5k+, so I'll take it.

Proof:

Screenshot_2016-01-10-10-37-33-e14524411

• Like 3

Challenges

Eh. Running in the rain is still fun, though. :) Good practice for the TM.

This was precisely my thought. I almost didn't go, because it was wet and cold. And then I thought... "but I'm planning to do a Tough Mudder. Wet and cold is kinda their thing." So I did, and I'm glad I did.

Challenges

Okay, so, Week 1 summary and some other stuff:

Run 5k 1x/week: Done, and I did it in the cold pouring rain. Good TM training. NEXT!

Log All the Calories: Phew, yeah, I did it. I really didn't want to log my food intake after dinner last night, because of the feels, but I did it anyway. Let's just say that it turns out that under stress and being forced to order out for food at the last minute (due to power outage) has shown me that I have no idea how to eat from a restaurant anymore.

However, one meal's bad decision (even a major one!) means nothing in the long term. My progress has not been harmed, and neither has my iron fortress of will. I learned, I logged, I continue to live.

Therapeutic Sword Training: My grip continues to get better, and my hand hurts less and less. I was able to use it at lightsaber last week for some light blocking/striking practice, it no longer hurts to type or write by hand, and I even tried it (gently!) on my Sifu's eagle catcher without pain! 

Log All The Expenses: This is also going well. YNAB is really helping me keep things under control. I'll have a much better idea when I get my first 2016 paycheck in a couple of days and do my reconciliation, but all the numbers so far look good and reasonable.

So far, a decent start to the challenge.

----------------------------------------------------------

Also! I figured out why my story stalled out. I actually took an entire 10 minutes this weekend and meditated on the problem... never done that before, and it worked great!

Turns out I'm missing a scene that's pretty much vital to the story progressing the way I want it to. So I need to go back and write an insert scene so that the events of Chapter 2 don't seem like total out-of-the-blue stuff. Will work on that today and post it later on. Then I can start Chapter 2 tomorrow.

• Like 3

Challenges

Run 5k 1x/week: Done, and I did it in the cold pouring rain. Good TM training. NEXT

Definitely good training!!  Being in June, it may not be as cold, but I can guarantee you will be getting wet at some point.  So very good training! 

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Bad news: no story update today after all. Hopefully tomorrow.

So, my life has kind of slowly turned into a living hell, like slowly boiling a frog. It only kind of caught up with me today. My dog is dead, my wife is currently trapped in her office and unable to come out because she's suffering from health problems and can't find a helpful physician, and work is so incredibly stressful that I want to yank out all my hair.

Things seem okay on the surface, but underneath... it really isn't.

I'll be okay, and this too will pass (I'm not in danger or anything here, folks), I just don't have the mental wherewithal to concentrate on anything extra right now.

Challenges

Take it easy, man.  There are... really bad days.  We've always got to find ways to take care of ourselves at unexpected times.  Take care of yourself and your wife, and we're here if you need us.

• Like 3

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Take it easy, man.  There are... really bad days.  We've always got to find ways to take care of ourselves at unexpected times.  Take care of yourself and your wife, and we're here if you need us.

Seconded.  I understand the stress that a job can put on a person.  Don't pull your hair out.  Take your time.  

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™