Kyellan, the Gray Sentinel: The Horns of War

Kyellan

Health problems for a loved one and trouble getting medical help...I've been there, and it's one of the worst kinds of frustrations. And deepest sympathy on the loss of your dog. These guys have it right--take care of yourself. And congrats on doing as well as you are on your goals, even with all the rest going on. Just don't stress if you need to refocus. 

• Like 1

~Arrowan

Human, Adventurer 

Level 4

STR 9/ DEX 6/ STA 15/CON 8/WIS 16/CHA 7

"Use what talent you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang 

except those that sang best." -Henry Van Dyke

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the support.

I'm feeling a little better this morning. There's snow in the forecast, so I decided to work from home instead of going into the office, which alleviates a little stress. I also used the extra time in my morning to do some work with the weight set:

5x5 bench @ ~85

3x5 inverted rows at the second safety catch level (moved up from the lowest level--harder, but still doable)

20 bodyweight squats (still developing form here, and knees were feeling a bit weird after class last night and still this morning, so I didn't want to push too hard and hurt something)

We'll see how the day goes. Trying to take it one moment at a time right now.

Hoping the weather won't prevent me from going to lightsaber class tonight, but it might. We'll see.

EDIT: I almost forgot--as a Christmas present for my two best friends, I compiled a document containing all 260+ pages of the webcomic that we co-produced between 2006 and 2008. If anybody's interested in being entertained by some mid-2000s geekiness for a while, here's a link.

I was the artist, and wrote the final 20-ish comics. My friend Dave wrote most of the scripts, and Patrick served as a producer/creative consultant/compiler/general comedic input, and was also the original speaker and/or source for many of the jokes we translated into humorous drawings.

• Like 3

"You are what you do. Choose again, and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

Challenges

109 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 |

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the support.

I'm feeling a little better this morning. There's snow in the forecast, so I decided to work from home instead of going into the office, which alleviates a little stress. I also used the extra time in my morning to do some work with the weight set:

5x5 bench @ ~85

3x5 inverted rows at the second safety catch level (moved up from the lowest level--harder, but still doable)

20 bodyweight squats (still developing form here, and knees were feeling a bit weird after class last night and still this morning, so I didn't want to push too hard and hurt something)

We'll see how the day goes. Trying to take it one moment at a time right now.

Hoping the weather won't prevent me from going to lightsaber class tonight, but it might. We'll see.

EDIT: I almost forgot--as a Christmas present for my two best friends, I compiled a document containing all 260+ pages of the webcomic that we co-produced between 2006 and 2008. If anybody's interested in being entertained by some mid-2000s geekiness for a while, here's a link.

I was the artist, and wrote the final 20-ish comics. My friend Dave wrote most of the scripts, and Patrick served as a producer/creative consultant/compiler/general comedic input, and was also the original speaker and/or source for many of the jokes we translated into humorous drawings.

Sounds like a good morning.  Glad you were able to work from home and reduce some of that stress.  

If you're worried about your form, can I suggest recording yourself and posting the videos in the Form Check subforum?

• Like 2

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Bad news: no story update today after all. Hopefully tomorrow.

So, my life has kind of slowly turned into a living hell, like slowly boiling a frog. It only kind of caught up with me today. My dog is dead, my wife is currently trapped in her office and unable to come out because she's suffering from health problems and can't find a helpful physician, and work is so incredibly stressful that I want to yank out all my hair.

Things seem okay on the surface, but underneath... it really isn't.

I'll be okay, and this too will pass (I'm not in danger or anything here, folks), I just don't have the mental wherewithal to concentrate on anything extra right now.

Dude, take care of yourself!

Also, stop being, like, my twin or something.  It's starting to creep me out a bit.  (Also selfcare.  Selfcare selfcare selfcare.  It helps.  Honest.)

• Like 2

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Sounds like a good morning.  Glad you were able to work from home and reduce some of that stress.  

If you're worried about your form, can I suggest recording yourself and posting the videos in the Form Check subforum?

I should probably do this. Once I get some wherewithal back and can get together some 20 seconds of courage, I'll do this. Definitely don't need an injury.

Dude, take care of yourself!

Also, stop being, like, my twin or something.  It's starting to creep me out a bit.  (Also selfcare.  Selfcare selfcare selfcare.  It helps.  Honest.)

I've been working on that. Making sure I get in my morning meditation, some quiet time, etc. Part of the problem is, my downtime/self-care used to be very clear-cut, but my thoughts, interests, and focus are changing so much lately that I'm no longer 100% clear on what helps me recover and what just stresses me out more.

It's going to take some soul-searching, or whatever, I think... to figure out what I can do that actually recharges me.

------------------

So I did make it to lightsaber and back safely last night, although the drive home was quite... entertaining. The snow was falling so thick at times that it felt like a movie set. I followed the plow trucks home ~25 miles or so down the highway, but by the end they were putting off such a god-awful smell that I ended up nauseous and with a headache when I finally made it home.

I was the only student who made it, natch. Sifu has been working on some basic "numbered" techniques to teach for Kung Fu for quite some time, and he's working to apply the same principle to our lightsaber work. It's just so everyone can get on the same page quickly, once the technique is learned. He asked for my input last night on the effectiveness of a couple different options, which was really quite an honor. We also discussed some martial history and philosophy. It ended up being a bit more of a bonding session than a workout, but I have zero problems or regrets with that. I am very happy to feel like I'm slowly moving toward the inner circle of his students.

Some good news: my hand IS actually much better, and I proved it this morning. I of course had to dig out from a 6-inch snowfall, which meant breaking out the snowblower. I double-gloved my hand without pain, and snowblowered the entire driveway, plus some shoveling, plus some roof-raking, with only a couple of distant twinges that barely rated a 1 on the pain scale!!

Also... I, uh, snowblowered the driveway, plus shoveled, plus roof-raked, and didn't really even think twice about it. Huh. I spent over an hour outside doing moderate physical labor, and I'm not even tired. ...interesting. O.o

• Like 3

Challenges

I've been working on that. Making sure I get in my morning meditation, some quiet time, etc. Part of the problem is, my downtime/self-care used to be very clear-cut, but my thoughts, interests, and focus are changing so much lately that I'm no longer 100% clear on what helps me recover and what just stresses me out more.

It's going to take some soul-searching, or whatever, I think... to figure out what I can do that actually recharges me.

Stop being my damned twin already.

I don't want SevenFootGeek to mistake you for me and break your hand.

Also... I, uh, snowblowered the driveway, plus shoveled, plus roof-raked, and didn't really even think twice about it. Huh. I spent over an hour outside doing moderate physical labor, and I'm not even tired. ...interesting. O.o

How much snow did you guys get?  Boston got a dusting + ice, so we didn't need fancy amounts of snow removal.

• Like 1

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Way to be dedicated! Good for you. And that's awesome that the outside work didn't even phase you. A sure sign of progress :)

• Like 1

~Arrowan

Human, Adventurer 

Level 4

I'd call that more than interesting.  That's awesome!  Definite progress.  

• Like 1

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Stop being my damned twin already.

I don't want SevenFootGeek to mistake you for me and break your hand.

How much snow did you guys get?  Boston got a dusting + ice, so we didn't need fancy amounts of snow removal.

Maybe we're just, like, really supposed to be bestest friends? :D

We got six inches easy. It was all super light and fluffy though, so no heavy watery snow to haul around, for which I'm grateful.

Way to be dedicated! Good for you. And that's awesome that the outside work didn't even phase you. A sure sign of progress :)

I'd call that more than interesting.  That's awesome!  Definite progress.  

Progress indeed! It's nice knowing that I can actually take care of my house the way it deserves. It'll last longer that way, too!

• Like 3

Challenges

Class last night was good. Lots of strong aerobics, and work on the hips is one of the things I need a lot of anyway, so the double-kicks and roundhouses were good for me (even if they were painful!) Then we split up to work on our forms, and got three new Monkey King moves. Very happy that we were good enough for Sifu to let us push forward a bit. :D

This morning, I got up after 7 hours' sleep (trying something new... maybe I'm getting too much at 8 hours?) and felt decent. I read for a little while, and then gritted my teeth and went out into my cold living room to the weight set. 

I realized that the bar I'm using is more like 15 lbs, so it's good to have a round number to be working on.

I tried something new this morning for my first exercise. I looked up the form for the deadlift, watched carefully, and decided to give it a try. ...and now I think I know why everybody loves it so much! I don't think I've ever used that much of my body in a single movement, all together, before. It almost felt like it should pull in the lower back, but I kept it neutral with my chest up (thank you, Sifu!) and there wasn't an ounce of pressure there.

Wow. Yeah. I kept it at the same weight as my bench, just to get a baseline, but I can definitely see myself doing more of those.

5x5 Bench @ 85

1x5 Deadlift @ 85

3x10 Bodyweight Squats

I'm using classic Simpsons episodes as my background for these weight sessions, so it's a double enjoyment. :D

Disclaimer/reminder to myself: I'm not trying to set any records here with the weights. The weights are merely part of my overall scheme to become as well-rounded as possible. I don't want to be the strongest person ever, I just want to be strong enough, fast enough, flexible enough and with enough endurance to be able to do pretty much any activity I want, when I want to do it. Go hiking? No problem. 10 mile bike ride with friends? You got it. Lift furniture and appliances without injury? Yep. Walk 35 minutes or more from the road up a mountain to a castle in Germany? No sweat.

You get the idea.

• Like 3

Challenges

That just reminds me, that I really should visit more plces in Germany. Burg Eltz looks very intresting. I just don't have friends in this part of Germany.

Es ist schön, dass du jetzt einfach den doofen Schnee ignorieren kannst, indem du dich mental in den Sommer versetzt. *grins*

I'm glad you found a way to ignore the damn snow and the cold weather by thinking of summer activities. (No word by word translation)

And next time you watch the Simpsons in German xD (Any progress with Darkwing Duck? I'll send you a link, if you couldn't find it.)

• Like 1

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

That just reminds me, that I really should visit more plces in Germany. Burg Eltz looks very intresting. I just don't have friends in this part of Germany.

Es ist schön, dass du jetzt einfach den doofen Schnee ignorieren kannst, indem du dich mental in den Sommer versetzt. *grins*

I'm glad you found a way to ignore the damn snow and the cold weather by thinking of summer activities. (No word by word translation)

And next time you watch the Simpsons in German xD (Any progress with Darkwing Duck? I'll send you a link, if you couldn't find it.)

The wife & I decided on the Moselle valley for the majority of our trip (looking for mostly relaxed travel in a quiet area), but it does look like that Renaissance Faire market near Frankfurt is going to be on our list! =) 

Und ja, habe ich Darkwing Duck gefunden, aber erst werde ich Die Gummibären anschauen. :D Es war meine lieblings Karikatur, als ich Kind war!

Challenges

The wife & I decided on the Moselle valley for the majority of our trip (looking for mostly relaxed travel in a quiet area), but it does look like that Renaissance Faire market near Frankfurt is going to be on our list! =)

I totally forgot for which one we settled. But I guess you'll send me a reminder.

Und ja, habe ich Darkwing Duck gefunden, aber erst werde ich Die Gummibären anschauen. :D Es war meine lieblings Karikatur, als ich Kind war!

Interessant. "Disneys Gummibärenbande" ist also deine Lieblingszeichentrickserie aus den 80ern. Der Titelsong ist ein richtiger Ohrwurm.
  • Like 2

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

I totally forgot for which one we settled. But I guess you'll send me a reminder.

Interessant. "Disneys Gummibärenbande" ist also deine Lieblingszeichentrickserie aus den 80ern. Der Titelsong ist ein richtiger Ohrwurm.

Ha, that's what I get for failing a full vocabulary search. Vielen Dank! :D

Und ja, du hast Recht!

------------------------------

Gaming night yesterday was quiet and enjoyable. My usual DM took a new job, so he's going to be traveling a lot, which means more Pathfinder card game (at least until we finish the modules we have). My first experience with it was relatively unpleasant (6 players is too many for this one, folks) but with three people it actually flows pretty well. The one problem we have is that the diversity of a fourth character's skills would be pretty useful... I think 4 is probably the "sweet spot" for that particular game.

I've got a long day ahead, since I'm supervising an after-hours code release for work, which means I'll be working the day, and then tonight from about 6-10pm. Fortunately all the actual work is done by others and I'm just validating that it all works properly. Hopefully everything runs smoothly.

Tomorrow I'll be spending most of the afternoon with a new/old gaming group--some guys I've known for years and some people I've never met before are starting up a new (hopefully regular) gaming session. I'm quite looking forward to it.

I've decided that starting next week, I'll be "slimming down" my lunches. I've got some good ideas for making lower-calorie tastiness... my tracking is ending up either running very close to my goal or a little over these days, and I'd like to give myself a bit more wiggle room. I'm also feeling much more full with less food these days, so I know I've got the room to do it while still getting plenty of food for energy.

• Like 3

Challenges

Sounds like a good week/weekend for ya!  

Tomorrow I'll be spending most of the afternoon with a new/old gaming group--some guys I've known for years and some people I've never met before are starting up a new (hopefully regular) gaming session. I'm quite looking forward to it.

Paladin?  Yes? Yes? 

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Sounds like a good week/weekend for ya!  

Paladin?  Yes? Yes? 

Nope, no paladin this time. Vengeance paladin's already in the other game. This time I'll be trying out Barbarian... we'll see how it goes.

This is the character art I'm working from:

1365220029531-e1452916244173.jpg

Lower-calorie fare isn't bad to do at all, provided that you can feel full while doing so. If you can still feel and perform well, then it's a good move.

That's my hope. Gotta try it, at least.

Lernst du deutsch mit Cartoons? Das ist eine ziemlich kluge Idee. :) Ich habe mein Englisch mit Pen&Paper RPG Büchern erheblich verbessern können. 

Ja, und auch mit Bücher, Podcasts, und mehr. Die Cartoons sind meistens für Hörenübung[?]. Ich lese ziemlich gut, aber hören und sprechen noch nicht so gut. =)

• Like 2

Challenges

Well, snow canceled gaming day. Such is life in northern New England.

I did a strength workout today, given that I'm not honestly sure if the weather is going to allow me to get a run in this week.

4x5 inverted rows (second height level, that's a whole extra set from last time!)

3x10 bicep curls @ 30 lbs

50 crunches with punches (I've decided I actually like this Kung Fu warm up exercise!)

It didn't take too long, but the muscles definitely feel worked. Very glad I took the time to do it.

• Like 3

Challenges

Yay for extra sets! Sounds like you're having fun with it.

And yes, plenty of snow. But the shoveling is kind of a gimme workout, I feel. Hope your gaming gets re-scheduled!

• Like 1

~Arrowan

Human, Adventurer 

Level 4

Well, snow canceled gaming day. Such is life in northern New England.

I did a strength workout today, given that I'm not honestly sure if the weather is going to allow me to get a run in this week.

4x5 inverted rows (second height level, that's a whole extra set from last time!)

3x10 bicep curls @ 30 lbs

50 crunches with punches (I've decided I actually like this Kung Fu warm up exercise!)

It didn't take too long, but the muscles definitely feel worked. Very glad I took the time to do it.

See this makes me super jealous.  And makes me want to buy a house.  Being able to lift in you basement is awesome! 

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™