Kyellan, the Gray Sentinel: The Horns of War

Kyellan

I can't help but admire you runners. I hate it so much. >.<

I can't speak for Kyellen, but can I tell you a secret?  

I hate running too.  Hate it.  It's the most boring, annoying, crappiest exercise I do.  But you know what?  It helps me do all the fun stuff, like Tough Mudders.  So it's worth putting up with.  

I hate running, and I don't think it even helps with the fun stuff.  All the Tough Mudders and Spartans and OCRs out there can be and are done without a lick of running.  Yea, you might get a better time, but I'm never gonna run in an elite heat for an actual place.  I'll do it for the fun, the challenge, the endurance.  Speedy running ain't the thing for me.

Falls under the do what you love rule, for me.  That isn't running.

• Like 3

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

I hate running, and I don't think it even helps with the fun stuff.  All the Tough Mudders and Spartans and OCRs out there can be and are done without a lick of running.  Yea, you might get a better time, but I'm never gonna run in an elite heat for an actual place.  I'll do it for the fun, the challenge, the endurance.  Speedy running ain't the thing for me.

Second that. Running is just awful. I don't get how our predecessors could actually persistent hunt. 

• Like 1

Level 2 Paladin (Warrior/Monk)

Challenge 1 2 3

Lazy workaholic, Deeply flawed perfections, Pacifist warrior, Kind cynic

Upholding the Paladin code

100%
100%

10 pull-ups in 2016 For reals this time

50%
50%

Second that. Running is just awful. I don't get how our predecessors could actually persistent hunt. 

In general, I agree.  

That said, I've discovered that the running helps with the Mudders and such in more ways than just speed.  It prepares my legs and muscles to be used for long periods.  It helps prevent injury from going in cold to an 11+ mile Tough Mudder.  This most recent Mudder I did, I finished it and felt like I could have run the whole thing again.  I attribute that, at least partially, to having done some endurance running before the event.  

• Like 1

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

In general, I agree.  

That said, I've discovered that the running helps with the Mudders and such in more ways than just speed.  It prepares my legs and muscles to be used for long periods.  It helps prevent injury from going in cold to an 11+ mile Tough Mudder.  This most recent Mudder I did, I finished it and felt like I could have run the whole thing again.  I attribute that, at least partially, to having done some endurance running before the event.  

Ahhh.

See, this is why I do long rucks, and do a weekly-ish sprint workout.  Same thing, less misery. :P

• Like 2

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

I'm looking forward to adding biking and hiking to my endurance work as well, once I get my hands on a bike and the weather warms up a little. I plan on doing a couple of mountain trails in the spring, and I'd really like to get a hybrid bike that I could take out to explore some of the local back roads. A slightly better pace than running, but not dull like riding in a car.

Listening to you guys, maybe there is a runner in me after all. I honestly don't hate it, and it sounds like many other people really actually do hate it. Excuse me while I go and ponder this for a bit.

• Like 3

"You are what you do. Choose again, and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

Challenges

109 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 |

Listening to you guys, maybe there is a runner in me after all. I honestly don't hate it, and it sounds like many other people really actually do hate it. Excuse me while I go and ponder this for a bit.

Seriously.  I once went on a run with my girlfriend, who wanted to chat the entire time.  I straight up told her she needed to stop trying to talk to me, because I was focusing very hard on not murdering her.  And I actually love the girl.  That is the depth of my hatred for running.  Willing murder a loved one to stop.  And it was a long ass run.

• Like 2

Seriously.  I once went on a run with my girlfriend, who wanted to chat the entire time.  I straight up told her she needed to stop trying to talk to me, because I was focusing very hard on not murdering her.  And I actually love the girl.  That is the depth of my hatred for running.  Willing murder a loved one to stop.  And it was a long ass run.

Okay, I don't hate it THAT much, but it's not my preferred endurance exercise. I'll do it in certain situations (during capoeira warm-up and giving my dog a chance to trot instead of pull me).

• Like 2

Don't listen to these dogs, Kyellan! If you actually enjoy teh running, then teh running is what you should do! Watch videos on proper striding and cadence! Check out this piece on how to run fast with minimal hurting of the soft tissues!

Running does connote advantages. It is a calorie sink, and at higher distances it will burn more energy than HIIT (the EPOC stuff is turning out to not be quite the savior that everyone thought it was). It also has the double benefit of helping to regulate appetite and promoting longevity.

Make no mistake - I've found I get plenty of benefit from playing with my kettlebells and doing an occasional fast run, and as far as I'm concerned that's all I really want. But if you want more, go out and do it!

• Like 4

Got certified healthy at work today. Weight loss independently confirmed (and on record!), blood test numbers all in normal ranges. BMI is of course still overweight (I... don't know if I'll ever see 180, but whatever) but everything else is rock solid.

Besides the whole getting stabbed part, a pretty decent start to the day. Of course, as a monk, I am impervious to pain, so the getting stabbed part wasn't too bad either. :D

I'm working on the story in my head. Should have an update either today or tomorrow.

• Like 6

Challenges

Got certified healthy at work today. Weight loss independently confirmed (and on record!), blood test numbers all in normal ranges. BMI is of course still overweight (I... don't know if I'll ever see 180, but whatever) but everything else is rock solid.

Besides the whole getting stabbed part, a pretty decent start to the day. Of course, as a monk, I am impervious to pain, so the getting stabbed part wasn't too bad either. :D

I'm working on the story in my head. Should have an update either today or tomorrow.

Screw BMI.  Those tables are so full of crap.  I'm pretty sure they'd tell me I'm overweight (which is ludicrous).  

Great news all around though!  

• Like 2

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

wait what?! You mean needles, don't you? Scared me for a moment.

As far as metrics go, BMI is the wrong one. Right ones include how many miles you can run and how many pounds you can lift, and how many calories it takes to figure out how to be happy and healthy both.

I'm with Kishi on this topic. I also once tried to go for BMI, but threw that concept away by now. Non-Scale-victories are much more satisfying and mess less with my head.
  • Like 2

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

Ahhh, BMI.  I'm with you.  I will never see 180 pounds, and even if I did, I/we would still be on the top end of "normal." 

But as I feel about it, normal people don't have the ability to deadlift 405 pounds anyway, so I don't particularly care.

• Like 3

It's true that BMI is a flawed metric. It's also true that my body composition is still a bit soggy. :D Either way, I'm happy with what I've accomplished so far, and looking forward to accomplishing more.

Storytime!

-----------------------------

Two terrifying apparitions were barely visible in a dim greenish light down the hallway. As Kyellan watched, they threw themselves against the door to Brokentree's chambers. He could barely make them out, but their haggard appearance: long, ragged hair, hunched stance, and pale flesh with a strange glow were all too apparent.

Revenants, he thought, as a chill rippled through him. But how had they gotten past the wards, erected by the wisest of the Sentinels and maintained by the Knight Council? No necromancy should have been able to cross into the priory's lands, much less into the priory itself! And why were they targeting Brokentree's chambers, of all the rooms in the priory?

As the revenants scratched at the door and slammed themselves bodily into it, Kyellan thought of the Knight Sergeant's crest mounted on Brokentree's door, and the chill got worse. On their own, creatures like this were mostly mindless--but the fact that they had passed by many doors to target one with a Sergeant's crest meant the worst... someone was controlling them.

They're trying to take out the leadership, Kyellan thought. He wasn't sure exactly how he came to that conclusion, but it seemed the only logical one to his mind. The distant shouting grew louder, and he grew more certain. Someone--or something--had breached the priory's wards, and released revenants inside to cripple the priory, only mere hours after the majority of the knights had departed for hospitaller missions.

Best case, someone had been watching and waiting for just this moment. Worst case, there was a traitor inside the walls, and someone had let the necromancer and his minions through.

The wooden doors to the chambers were sturdy. It would take some time for the revenants to breach Brokentree's. Only a few dozen yards down the corridor in front of him, if he passed the branch which would take him to the creatures, was the small armory kept on each floor. The priory had several, strategically located so that if the knights needed to arm themselves in a hurry, they didn't have any bottlenecks.

No time to wake the other recruits. If he didn't act now, more people would die, and Sergeant Brokentree was next on the list. None of the knights kept weapons in their rooms, which meant that if the revenants breached that door, she would die, helpless against their teeth and claws.

Keeping his steps light and his breath held tightly, he darted past the branch and left the sounds of crashing and scratching behind. The creatures, intent on their task, didn't even look his way in the gloom. He padded in his bare feet down the freezing flagstones of the corridor, as quickly as he could without making a lot of noise. At last he reached the door to the armory, and opened it. No reason to keep the weapons locked up when they might be needed in an emergency. He appreciated the trust that the Sentinels extended their recruits. If you made it far enough to be admitted to a training cohort, you weren't going to be the type to steal weaponry or murder anyone in their beds.

He grabbed a torch from a sconce on the wall and lit it with the flint and steel in the wall cubby below it. The yellow light was immensely gratifying. The weapon racks stood lined with gleaming, polished weaponry, and the walls held racks of armor of all kinds, shapes and sizes, cared for each and every day by the armorers assigned to the floor. 

No time to don armor. It would take him too long, especially without help. Instead, he grabbed a sword belt and buckled it around the waist of his nightclothes. He grabbed another, on a baldric, and looped it around his chest. He arranged his left hand with a medium-sized wooden shield, put the torch in his left hand, and drew the sword from his side.

He must have looked ridiculous. No time to worry about it, though.

Gripping the sword so tightly that his knuckles ached, Kyellan went back to the branch of the corridor, standing just around the corner for a moment. The sounds of the revenants attacking the door went unabated, but he heard no sign that the door had given way.

Alone, against two revenants. In the halls of the priory. With no armor, no shoes, no helmet... just a sword, a shield, and a torch.

I'm going to die, he thought. Then, after a moment: Better to die fighting, than let the Sergeant down.

He stepped around the corner, lifted his weapons, and advanced on the revenants. Slowly, one step at a time.

Intent on their task, the revenants didn't even look up until he was almost within striking distance. The torch seemed to be the thing that gave him away in the end. They looked up as the flame approached, and bared their hideous fangs inside the dead faces of the men they had once been. The scratching and pounding on the doors subsided, and they watched him approach for a moment, their slavering faces intent, curious, but hardly alarmed.

Kyellan stopped, his heart hammering against his ribs. They watched him for a moment more, their heads twisting on their necks, milky eyes staring... and then resumed their assault on Brokentree's door. Whoever had given them instructions had been very clear about it.

This close to them, the smell was overpowering. Revenants were animated corpses, twisted into hideous facsimiles of their former selves by the dark power that dragged them from their graves. Dread clawed at Kyellan's guts, his heart pounded harder in his chest, blood rushed through his ears. He still couldn't hear anything from Brokentree's room.

"Fine," Kyellan muttered aloud. The revenants didn't even respond to his speaking aloud. "You're going to ignore me? Then ignore this."

He brought his torch and shield up close to him, and drove the point of the sword forward as one of the revenants fell back from the door. It didn't even try to evade him. The point entered the rotten skull just above and forward of the ear, skewering the creature's head with a squelching sound that nearly made him sick. The corpse jerked for a moment, then shuddered and went limp, dragging Kyellan's sword to the floor with its sudden weight. It wrenched from his hand and clattered to the ground.

The other revenant stopped, turned, and stared at him again. This time, it took a step toward him.

Kyellan backed up, drawing the other sword off his back. Fear clutched at him, made his hands tremble, threatened to drop him to the ground, but he fought it back. "All right, ugly. Come get me," he snarled, much more bravely than he felt.

As the revenant advanced, he looked past it for a moment to Brokentree's door. "SERGEANT!" he yelled, as loudly as he could manage. "It's Kyellan! There's a sword outside if you'd like to come and give me a hand out here!"

• Like 5

Challenges

Nah!  He's the best swordsman in his class.  He'll be fine!  (I hope)

Me too!

~Arrowan

Human, Adventurer 

Level 4

STR 9/ DEX 6/ STA 15/CON 8/WIS 16/CHA 7

"Use what talent you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang 

except those that sang best." -Henry Van Dyke

Okay guys, I'm totally sold on small-batch cooking.

I needed to make my lunches for the week, and I decided on making a chicken teriyaki stir-fry. I'd heard many things about the benefits of cooking the individual parts of a meal in smaller batches. It's something professional chefs do, I guess, in order to bring out the flavor better. Well this time, I did the diced chicken a quarter at a time, letting it brown thoroughly on one side before mixing it up to cook through, and then tossed them in the sauce at the end. I did the vegetables in thirds, using the same principle.

OHMYGOD. It's heavenly. It's the best teriyaki I've ever had outside of a high-end Japanese restaurant. Letting the chicken brown and really caramelize in those small batches infused the flavor into the entire meal once I mixed it together. The vegetables did the same.

Yes, it took longer, but you know what? I'll be thanking myself for that extra half-hour every day this week, when I crack open those entree containers at lunchtime. If you don't already do this, you should totally try it. It brought this meal from 'pretty good' to 'awesome' with only a little extra effort.

Going running this afternoon. Tons of other stuff to do in the meantime. Just wanted to drop by and leave you with this little wisdom before I run off to the next thing!

• Like 3

Challenges

Sounds good. And makes total sense.

I'm glad you got your run in, although your weekend blew up. Hope you enjoyed it. :)

• Like 1

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

Okay, time for the challenge summary. I can't believe it's already February!

I went running yesterday, here's proof. I had to switch the running app I use, because we have a work fitness benefits program, and it only syncs up with MapMyFitness. So, poor Runkeeper has now fallen to the wayside. :(

Yesterday was actually a very enjoyable run. It was about 50 degrees out, sunny, and with a slight breeze to keep the sweat off. My Kung Fu buddy came along, and we ran a little under 4 miles. I wouldn't say it was effortless, but it was definitely not the desperately-gasping like usual.

Crap. I think you guys might be right... there might be a runner in here.

Screenshot_2016-02-01-08-19-26-e14543328

--------------------

Challenge Summary

Track Calories: Check. I'm down under 210 reliably, and heading for 199. 

Running: Check. I had the one week where I did the lightsaber party instead, but it didn't derail me and was an acceptable trade for the day.

Hand Recovery: Check. My hand is about 98% recovered. I did the January lightsaber dueling day like normal last Saturday, with only very minor ill effects, and it's already better. 

Budgeting: Check. January was a tightly-controlled month, and it feels much better to be in control again. This year is going to be SO much better, financially-speaking, than prior years!

Overall it was a good month for my habits and my challenge. It kind of sucked on a personal level, but that seems to have evened out a bit. My wife is finally seeing improvement health-wise (it was asthma), and the insane work project is wrapping up at last. There will be other projects, but they don't usually require this level of stress from me. 

I'm heading into February with a clearer head and a calmer mind, with an eye on greater strength and better endurance. More running and weight-lifting are in my future, and maybe cycling once spring comes on for real. 

• Like 4

Challenges

Okay guys, I'm totally sold on small-batch cooking.

I needed to make my lunches for the week, and I decided on making a chicken teriyaki stir-fry. I'd heard many things about the benefits of cooking the individual parts of a meal in smaller batches. It's something professional chefs do, I guess, in order to bring out the flavor better. Well this time, I did the diced chicken a quarter at a time, letting it brown thoroughly on one side before mixing it up to cook through, and then tossed them in the sauce at the end. I did the vegetables in thirds, using the same principle.

OHMYGOD. It's heavenly. It's the best teriyaki I've ever had outside of a high-end Japanese restaurant. Letting the chicken brown and really caramelize in those small batches infused the flavor into the entire meal once I mixed it together. The vegetables did the same.

Yes, it took longer, but you know what? I'll be thanking myself for that extra half-hour every day this week, when I crack open those entree containers at lunchtime. If you don't already do this, you should totally try it. It brought this meal from 'pretty good' to 'awesome' with only a little extra effort.

I will definitely be trying this. Chicken is so difficult to make "awesome."

Crap. I think you guys might be right... there might be a runner in here.

Nothing wrong with that!

• Like 1

Challenge Summary

Track Calories: Check. I'm down under 210 reliably, and heading for 199. 

Running: Check. I had the one week where I did the lightsaber party instead, but it didn't derail me and was an acceptable trade for the day.

Hand Recovery: Check. My hand is about 98% recovered. I did the January lightsaber dueling day like normal last Saturday, with only very minor ill effects, and it's already better. 

Budgeting: Check. January was a tightly-controlled month, and it feels much better to be in control again. This year is going to be SO much better, financially-speaking, than prior years!

Overall it was a good month for my habits and my challenge. It kind of sucked on a personal level, but that seems to have evened out a bit. My wife is finally seeing improvement health-wise (it was asthma), and the insane work project is wrapping up at last. There will be other projects, but they don't usually require this level of stress from me. 

I'm heading into February with a clearer head and a calmer mind, with an eye on greater strength and better endurance. More running and weight-lifting are in my future, and maybe cycling once spring comes on for real. 

Great challenge for you! You're in control with calories and money, and you were consistent with running goals and taking care of that hand. Seemed like you made advances socially and physically by being dedicated to training and getting quality mentorship time with your Sifu.

Making it through despite the personal struggles is huge as well. I'm glad things are looking up at work and with your wife's health. I know how hard it is to have a sick loved one. Pass on our well-wishes to her. 

Thanks for the amazing story along the way! Do we get to find out what happens next? 

• Like 2

~Arrowan

Human, Adventurer 

Level 4

STR 9/ DEX 6/ STA 15/CON 8/WIS 16/CHA 7

"Use what talent you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang 

except those that sang best." -Henry Van Dyke