Blue Rogue Broadcast: Adam hangs out with some Suspicious Characters

Big Adam

Hey Assassins! Big Adam here.  I’ve been hanging out with the Monks for the past several challenges, but thought I’d stop in here for a challenge or two as my goals are more assassin-y than monk-y at that moment.

I have three main fitness goals I’m focusing on right now:

GOALS

Bodyweight Strength: I’ve been doing a modified version of the StartBodyWeight (http://www.startbodyweight.com/p/start-bodyweight-basic-routine.html) program for the past few months and have seen consistent improvement.  I’ll be sticking with this as I reach for my goals of a 1-hand pushup, pistol squat, and handstand pushup.  Though my strength gains have been consistent, I’ve noticed that my lack of mobility is making it difficult to progress in squats. With that in mind, my second goal is…

Mobility: This is not something that I’ve traditionally focused on.  I think that my flexibility in some areas is decent.  I’ve always been able to touch my toes.  But there are many areas that could use improvement - particularly my ankles, hips, and shoulders. To that end, I’ll be incorporating some NERD FITNESS YOGA into my weekly routine.

Body Composition: I want to reduce my body fat %.  I’m currently fairly slim and not what anyone would call overweight, but I’ve always had a stubborn belly that doesn’t want to go away.  I don’t have a specific number in mind.  I just want to see a flat stomach in the mirror.  To that end, I’m adding diet and sleep quests to this challenge.  My diet has been mostly Primal (basically paleo + full fat dairy) for the past few years. I saw significant initial progress after adapting a Primal diet, but it tapered off before I got where I wanted to be.  I’ve been on a plateau for a while, so I think it’s time to shake things up.

I eat a TON of fruit.  Like, 4+ apples in a day isn’t unusual.  I think that that, in addition to more calorie dense primal foods like Greek Yogurt and Nut Butters, is what is keeping me stuck.  So to that end, I’ll be cutting these foods out for a 4-week period.  I’ve found that if I keep foods in the house and attempt to restrict the amounts, I experience a lot of resistance, but if I just don’t buy them, I don’t have too much trouble.  So I’m giving this a shot.

For sleep - we all know that it’s important and I’ve found that I need to keep a consistent bedtime or else I end up suffering for it.  So I’m attempting to establish a habit of consistent sleep.

QUESTS:

Strength and Mobility:

Bodyweight Circuit + Stretching 3x/week

At least 2 Full Yoga Sessions/week.

Daily Movement and Stretching of some sort outside of Yoga or Workout days

Diet:

Don’t buy any Fruit, Nuts, or Dairy for the 40-day period.  Snacking on fruit or nuts at a party is fine, but I won’t buy any for myself.  This is in addition to my usual “Eat Primal†guideline that I’ve been following for the past year.

I expect this to be the biggest challenge for me within this challenge. My other two quests aren't a huge stretch for me, while this will probably take some willpower.

Sleep:

Establish and keep a consistent circadian rhythm by going to bed within a consistent timeframe.  10:30 bedtime on weekdays and 11:00 bedtime on Weekends.

• Like 1

Sky Pirate Monk

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7

NF Character

Battle Log

Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit - Vyse the Blue Rogue

Starting Stats:

Strength:

Crow Stand: 45, 45, 45 (3 sets of 45 seconds.)

Beginner Shrimp Squats: 8, 8, 7

Pullups: 8, 8, 7

Uneven Pushups (Using a basketball for elevation): 8, 7, 7 (with each hand)

Mobility:
Not sure how to measure this one. Anyone know of any good flexibility tests?

Body Composition:

Waist: 35 inches

Hip: 39 inches

Sky Pirate Monk

NF Character

Battle Log

Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit - Vyse the Blue Rogue

Solid goals! Have you thought of some alternate foods to replace the nuts/dairy/fruit (i.e., for snacks and such)?

Mobility:
Not sure how to measure this one. Anyone know of any good flexibility tests?

NF published a flexibility challenge recently. I haven't tried it, but it looks like a good assortment of benchmarks that you could use to measure your progress!

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5  

Supple Lioness Mobility

Solid goals! Have you thought of some alternate foods to replace the nuts/dairy/fruit (i.e., for snacks and such)?

NF published a flexibility challenge recently. I haven't tried it, but it looks like a good assortment of benchmarks that you could use to measure your progress!

Perfect! Thanks! I thought I remembered seeing something like that, but couldn't remember where!

• Like 1

Sky Pirate Monk

NF Character

Battle Log

Hey Adam, we've got some of the same goals for bodyweight skills.  I'll keep an eye on your challenge to see how you're doing!

Level 32 Minifig Jedi Assassin

Current Challenge  | Battle Log | "Epic" Quest

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6789101111.51213141516171819, 2021222324, 25, 262728293031323334

"A man who wants to do something will find a way; a man who doesn't will find an excuse." -Stephan Dolley, Jr.

"You don't get stronger by skipping workouts." - me, to myself, about 3 times a week

Hey Adam, we've got some of the same goals for bodyweight skills.  I'll keep an eye on your challenge to see how you're doing!

Hey, thanks! I'm jealous of those pistol squats you've got.  Good luck on your challenge!

Sky Pirate Monk

NF Character

Battle Log

Hey, thanks! I'm jealous of those pistol squats you've got.  Good luck on your challenge!

Thanks, but I'm not to full pistols yet.  I'm currently working on "seated" pistols - partial range of motion.  I'm sitting back to a board that's about 18" off the ground and then I pop back up.  I was re-reading this post for the third time when it finally hit me that I need to maintain tension in my working leg the whole time.  Previously, I'd been releasing tension at the bottom of the squat and had no strength to push myself back up!

• Like 1

Level 32 Minifig Jedi Assassin

Current Challenge  | Battle Log | "Epic" Quest

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6789101111.51213141516171819, 2021222324, 25, 262728293031323334

"A man who wants to do something will find a way; a man who doesn't will find an excuse." -Stephan Dolley, Jr.

"You don't get stronger by skipping workouts." - me, to myself, about 3 times a week

OHO WELCOME!!!!!  I was wondering when your thread would go up!

giphy.gif

Oooo no dairy, I like it.  Well, you know, for health reasons.  Dairy wonks me out too but I just need cheese once in a while............

• Like 1

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

OHO WELCOME!!!!!  I was wondering when your thread would go up!

giphy.gif

Oooo no dairy, I like it.  Well, you know, for health reasons.  Dairy wonks me out too but I just need cheese once in a while............

Hahah. You have the best gifs.

Greek Yogurt is my usual dairy indulgence.  Which isn't too bad, but I eat a LOT of it. I'm going to see what effect it'll have on my body and mood and everything else if I lay off for a month.

• Like 1

Sky Pirate Monk

NF Character

Battle Log

Hahah. You have the best gifs.

Greek Yogurt is my usual dairy indulgence.  Which isn't too bad, but I eat a LOT of it. I'm going to see what effect it'll have on my body and mood and everything else if I lay off for a month.

Cottage cheese is my dairy indulgence... but man, does it do me in.  It even screws with my skin.  Food is wild...

I'll have it as a rare treat but I used to eat it daily for macros and just can't anymore. ;_;  I miss yogurt, too.  But it's for the best...............

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...

The challenge has been going pretty well so far.  Diet and movement have been on-point.  I still crave something sweet after I finish a meal, but I've been settling for tea instead of fruit.  It hasn't been as difficult as I anticipated.  Of course, I'm only four days in, but so far so good.

Sleep has been decent.  I got to bed at 10:30 on Monday and Tuesday, then screwed myself up with a nap on Wednesday, but was able to get to bed by 11:30.  I'll learn not to take naps eventually.  Got to bed on-time yesterday, but woke up at Midnight with an unexpected sore throat and spent the night tossing and turning.  Today I'm sick.  Usually there is some build up to me getting sick, but this just came out of no where.  I went to sleep feeling fine, then woke up sick.

Since I'm feeling under the weather today, I may just do a long Yoga session in place of my usual Bodyweight workout.  I've done two already this week, so I'll still hit my goal if I do the third one on Saturday.

Also! In non-challenge news: I started my first Swing Dance Class on Wednesday this week!  It was great. Since this was the first lesson, we covered things that I've done before but it was nice to have an instructor providing little tips on posture, connection, and all that.  There were also a few cute girls my age, which adds an extra dimension of fun to the dancing.

• Like 2

Sky Pirate Monk

NF Character

Battle Log

Ugh, lots of people have been getting sick here too!!  I blame the rapid weather change. :(

Glad to hear things are going well overall though!!!!

Swing dancing sounds like a lot of fun! It's on my bucket list to learn something like that.  Is it a weekly class? Super cool.

Also, sleep is tough.  What is your reasoning for wanting to get to bed on time - is it schedule related to sleep quantity related? If it's the latter I'd say getting a nap in should count towards it not against it.

Swing dancing sounds like a lot of fun! It's on my bucket list to learn something like that.  Is it a weekly class? Super cool.

Also, sleep is tough.  What is your reasoning for wanting to get to bed on time - is it schedule related to sleep quantity related? If it's the latter I'd say getting a nap in should count towards it not against it.

It schedule-related.  When I take naps, they usually throw off my sleep schedule - and not in a 1:1 ratio.  Often a 30-minute nap equates to 2 hours of staring at the ceiling when bedtime comes.  My circadian rhythm gets thrown off really easily.  Naps, a couple late nights in a row, sleeping in: They all confuse my body so I can't get to sleep when I want to.

• Like 2

Sky Pirate Monk

NF Character

Battle Log

Week 1 was pretty solid.  I hit all my workout/yoga goals and went 6/7 days on my diet goals.  The only "slip-up" came when I went to dinner with my family on Sunday.  We went to a Chinese Restaurant.   I didn't realize until I sat down: "Wait, there's probably nothing even remotely paleo on this menu".  I decided to just roll with it and enjoy the meal.  Got some good Chicken and Broccoli with garlic sauce over white rice.  Sleep was mixed.  I got to bed by 10:30 each worknight, and went to bed at 11 on Friday night, but then slept about 12 hours because I was feeling sick.  It felt great, but made it tough to get to sleep on Saturday and Sunday night.  Guess I'll need to control my wakeup time as well if I want to stay on a consistent schedule.

Sky Pirate Monk

NF Character

Battle Log

Time for a proper update. Let's get some numbers down:

Bodyweight Circuit + Stretching 3x/week: 3/3

At least 2 Full Yoga Sessions/week.: 3/2

Daily Movement and Stretching of some sort outside of Yoga or Workout days: Check!

Diet: 6/7 (Rice+Sugary sauce at Chinese food)

Sleep: 4/7  This goal may be tougher than I thought.

I'm pretty happy with this first week.  I hit all my workout goals and was consistent with my diet.  I only went 4/7 with my sleep goals, but those were all the result of not being able to sleep.  I did actually get to bed and turn out the lights on time every night.  I just was unable to sleep due to either taking a nap or sleeping too late the previous day.  Going forward, I know I need to keep a fairly consistent wake-up time as well as bedtime.  I'm slowly figuring this sleep thing out.

Workout #s:                      Mon:                           Wed:                                 Thurs:

Crow Stand:                     50, 45, 45                    50, 50, 45                          50, 50, 45

Beginner Shrimp Squats: 8, 8, 8                          8, 8, 8                                9, 8, 8

Pullups:                            8, 8, 8                           8, 8, 8                               8, 8, 8

Uneven Pushups              8, 8, 7                          8, 8, 7                                8, 8, 7

Sky Pirate Monk

NF Character

Battle Log

Week 2 - on the other hand - has been pretty weak challenge wise.  So far, we have:

Bodyweight Circuit + Stretching 3x/week: 3/3
At least 2 Full Yoga Sessions/week.: 2/2
Daily Movement and Stretching of some sort outside of Yoga or Workout days: Movement yes, Stretching No on Tuesday
Diet: 2/5
Sleep: 2/5

Now even though this week hasn't been great challenge-wise, it has been extremely great in just about every other wise.  I went up to NYC Monday through Wednesday this week for the launch party of Steve's new book.  I stayed with a friend from camp, attended a free Kung Fu lesson, and explored the city up until the launch party on Tuesday Night.  I've never been to NYC before, so it was a bit of an adventure for me to navigate the subway, swim through the oceans of people, and try not to bump into anyone while I gawked at the skyscrapers like an ignorant yokel.
Kung Fu was awesome.  The lesson was with City Wing Tsun - I was invited by another Camp-Friend who lives in the city.  I loved the atmosphere: the instructors were great and everyone was constantly moving and training with no standing around and little talking.  Very different from what I experienced at my old Wing Chun school.
The book launch itself was - of course - a blast.  The Brooklyn Zoo is hands down the coolest gym I've ever set foot in.  Makes me want to check out the parkour/ninja-warrior gym near me.  From the website, it doesn't look quite as legit, but it might come close.  We had parkour training, trampolines, breakdancing, bar routines, sample Ninja-warrior obstacles, a big half-pipe to run up, wall-rock-climbing, and a salmon ladder.  Oh yeah, and I got my book signed by Steve.  AND got to reconnect with some pretty awesome people from camp while meeting new nerds. AND one of the camp Headmasters made a surprise appearance.

All in all, great trip.  My diet and sleep suffered with the craziness of travel and the difficulty of eating paleo while eating out, but it was worth it.  Besides, the diet slip-ups were all pretty mild.  Rice, beans - that sort of thing.  The "worst" thing I had was a smoothie.  And anyway, totally worth it for a sweet trip.

I'm hoping to finish out the weekend on a strong note. I already got my workout in.  I'm going to a concert tonight and staying at a friends house where hopefully I'll be able to get to sleep at a decent hour.  Good luck and godspeed to everyone else!
  • Like 2

Sky Pirate Monk

NF Character

Battle Log

Dude, sounds like an AWESOME week!!!  The Brooklyn Zoo photos looked amazing.  I wish they were touring anywhere remotely near me, I think the closest is Atlanta, 6 hours away... blech.

Dude, sounds like an AWESOME week!!!  The Brooklyn Zoo photos looked amazing.  I wish they were touring anywhere remotely near me, I think the closest is Atlanta, 6 hours away... blech.

It was awesome!  Bummer that there aren't any near you.  All of the events looked pretty freakin cool! I wouldn't be down for 6 hours of driving though.  Thankfully I could take the train from Philly to NYC and avoid most of the hassle of travelling.  I just got on the train, pulled out my book, and enjoyed some Brandon Sanderson for the duration of the ride.

Sky Pirate Monk

NF Character

Battle Log

Week 2 Recap!

Bodyweight Circuit + Stretching 3x/week: 3/3 (Monday's Circuit was a short one due to time constraints.  But then I did Brooklyn Zoo on Tuesday which was a workout on its own)
At least 2 Full Yoga Sessions/week.: 2/2
Daily Movement and Stretching of some sort outside of Yoga or Workout days: 6/7 No stretching on Tuesday.
Diet: 3/7
Sleep: 2/7  

So, not too great on the Diet and sleep goals.  On the bright side, I haven't bought any fruit, yogurt, or nut butters.  On the not-so-bright side, I've been letting my diet and sleep slip whenever I have the excuse of travel, social events, or parties.  Not the worst thing in the world, but I'd like to be more disciplined in those unusual days.

Workout #s:                      Mon:                           Thurs:                            Sat:

Crow Stand:                     45, 50, -                      50, 50, 50                          55, 50, 48

Beginner Shrimp Squats: 8, 8, -                          9, 9, 8                                9, 9, 9

Pullups:                            -, -, -                           8, 8, 9                                 9, 9, 8

Uneven Pushups              8, 8, -                         8, 8, 8                                 9, 8, 8

I'm almost ready to level up my Squats to Assisted One-Legged Squats!  Yay!

Sky Pirate Monk

NF Character

Battle Log

So far, I've been batting 1000 in week 3.  We'll see if it keeps up.  I want to start doing more of the Squat and Shoulder Mini-Yoga-Sessions throughout the week.  Although the long Yoga sessions feel great, it's my shoulders, hips, and ankles that are tight and restrict my mobility more than anything else.  For now I'll keep doing what I've been doing and just try to get squat/shoulder sessions in when I have time.  Maybe I'll change things up in the future.

Side note: Do I have any fellow Digimon fans here?  I finally watched the first few episodes of Digimon Tri and smiled ear-to-ear the whole time.  I felt the way that Star Wars fans probably felt watching "The Force Awakens"

Sky Pirate Monk

NF Character

Battle Log

Week 3 has continued to go well.  I've been hitting my daily goals.  I skipped my workout on Wednesday, but did it yesterday instead, so I should still hit my 3 BW Circuit workouts this week.  I'll likely be snowed in all day Saturday so there will be plenty of time to work out. And it may function as a warming strategy in the event that we lose power!

I've noticed that the diet aspect of this challenge has been - surprisingly easy.  I thought this would be super-difficult for me.  I've had very little success restricting fruit, nuts, and dairy in past challenges.  I'd end up feeling stressed and deprived and guilty over more than I said I would.  But if I just don't buy it and tell myself going out to buy some isn't an option, then I only miss it for a second before I move on.  Weird.  I think this is one of those instances where going 100% is easier than going 80 or 90 percent.

I've noticed a few interesting things about how my body responds to eating all meat/veggies/eggs with little to no fruit, nuts or dairy.  Firstly, I must have been getting a lot of my daily calories from those sources, because I'm eating considerably larger dinners in order to feel full.  My weekly batch-cooking reserves went down FAST this week and I needed to do more mid-week cooking than I usually do.  On the plus side, my grocery bill has been smaller since veggies are generally less expensive than fruit, and nut butters are a particularly pricey snack.  Secondly, my digestion has been much better all around.  Very few instances of gassy, rumbley stomach. No urgent bathroom runs.  And although I'll feel satisfied after a big meal, I've rarely felt stuffed or bloated.  This seems to be a nice balance.  I don't know how much it's affecting my body composition (though I'll take some measurements this weekend), but it does seem to have a small positive affect on my overall comfort while being easy to maintain.

• Like 1

Sky Pirate Monk

NF Character

Battle Log