*Waves nervously from the corner*

Hi everyone!

My name's Dale. I've just joined the site & forum and wanted to say hello.

Some back-notes. I'm horrible at getting my thoughts down in words so I beg your indulgence in the following ramblings:

I've been going to the gym on and off for quite a few years now but have never made a long-term go of it. I used to go three times a week a few years ago, mainly to weight train with no particular goal, but then I had an accident where I was knocked down by a car when crossing the road. Ruptured two tendons (ACL and MCL) in my left leg. Leg brace and depression ensued. Boring story.

Rehabbed up to a point of no instability and although it still hurts now and then, any lingering pain is of no concern to the doctors apparently. Last January, four months after my accident, I got back to the gym and started weight/circuit training three times a week with the goal of not looking like a moose when I went on holiday in the summer. Problem was not being to put too much weight on my knee. Did okay but nothing spectacular. Felt better about myself though.

I got back to the gym in August on a new circuit but never really got back into it, no enjoyment and, if you'll excuse my language, felt like a right tit trying pull-ups while hoisted with rubber bloody bands. Despite the fact I can't do a single one. My knee bloody hurt after some loaded squats too so I gave up on it after a month or so. I've since gotten depression again (getting through it but it's a bugger some times) and the tablets I'm on are making me hungry constantly and bloated. So now I'm feeling and looking like the walrus. The crappy diet and zero exercise probably isn't helping on that front either. :dispirited:

I've decided to join in order to force myself into some accountability. I'll try and log my workouts on here starting tomorrow (arse back to the gym finally) and see how things go from there.

I've two main goals:

1) To comfortably fit in all of the L clothes I've got. Straining them at the moment. I've a few XL items kicking about but that's it and I refuse to buy more.

2) To stop feeling uncomfortable in my own skin.

Not sure what workout I'm going to start doing though. The fitness trainers in the gym are generally good - I'm considering seeing if I can make appointments for every session so I'm given a good kicking, have someone to motivate me and remove the option of cheating and skipping things. Has anyone any experience of this?

If you've bothered reading all that - well done and I thank you.

If it made the slightest bit of sense you might want an appointment with the doctor.

Any advice, etc. is greatly welcome.

Cheers,

Me.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

MrParsnip the level 0 Fremen
Current challenge

Hullo and welcome! If you're comfortable working out at the gym, that's great. There are also some body weight workouts around on the NF site that you could look into as well, if you're worried about doing free weights with your knee. I'm all about a fitness progression called Convict Conditioning, but there are many ways to get in shape, and everyone has what works for them. So if something doesn't work for you, do something else! There are a lot of options, and there are loads of friendly people on the boards who can help point you in some good directions.

Glad you're here, and good luck! :)

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit." - Aristotle

If you have the inspiration, you have the talent. Strive to be happy. :)

Thanks Sco. I'll have a look at the Convict Conditioning thing. Thanks for the heads-up.

Yeah, I'm comfortable going to the gym for the most part. It's quite small though so can be tough getting on certain equipment when it's busy. I hate feeling like I'm being watched/judged though so try and get there when it's quiet.

It's getting there the first time that's the big step I think.

Thanks for the welcome too, makes me feel better about being able to do this. :peaceful:

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Current challenge

Welcome to the Rebellion. Many here follow a form of paleolithic eating for diet and swear by it, so it might be something to consider. Others just focus on cutting out the junk and have success. As for the knee pain on the squats, you may want to have someone make sure your form is good.

Welcome MrParsnip,

I feel you for knee pain, but, as the guys have already said, you find what you enjoy and run with that.

Like you, any squat or knee bending i used to do would hurt like buggery, but with proper form you should be able to help that out.

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

Thanks for the advice and support peeps, I really appreciate it. :)

I'm going to start by cutting the junk and getting my exercise on. I'll make sure about my form re: the knee too!

Current challenge

I have found that this site has a lot less judgment and gives a lot more encouragement than other sites.

So here, people will offer advice, critique your plan and give you plenty of praise to help you, help yourself.

This is my weekly Blog, From Fat to Bat; one man's journey to be Batman...

This is my Intro thread...

Convict Conditioning:: Push Ups - lvl 2 || Squats - lvl 1 || Pull Ups - lvl 2 || Leg Raise - lvl 1 || Bridges - lvl 1 || Handstands - lvl 0

Current Body (2012.02.12) :: 5'10" || 270 lbs || Waist: 48" || Thigh: 25" || Arms: 14" || BF%: 36 || Young Bruce Level

I have found that this site has a lot less judgment and gives a lot more encouragement than other sites.

So here, people will offer advice, critique your plan and give you plenty of praise to help you, help yourself.

From what I've read and experienced so far, you're absolutely spot on with this.

Thank you all so much! :D

Current challenge