• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

jrosto

Jrosto - A Barbarian Cleans Up His Act

This first 4 Week Challenge will be pretty interesting.  I had gotten pretty good at setting 6 week goals, let's see how I do with a four week challenge.

This one may be extra challenging as I have a cold or something coming on.  Went to bed last night with a scratchy throat, woke this morning with rapidly developing something.  Not yet bad enough to call my medical team, hopefully I'll be able to hold it at bay.

Epic Quest for 2016: Do a pull up all the way to my transplant scar. 

Main Quest for This Four Week Challenge: I've been offered a job as a Porter at one of the upscale Dallas shopping areas.  It's part time in the mornings, and I don't have to be around people (kind of important as I don't have an immune system).  My main goal for this challenge is to try and maintain my exercise routine while working.  

SMART Quests:

1.  Push and Pull my own Weight:

I can do one good pull up.  By the end of this challenge I would like to be able to get in three pull ups per set.

It has been awhile since I've tested my push ups.  I'll do a test set tomorrow to see where I am at, probably around 15 or so.  I would like to be able to do a good set of 20 push ups by the end of the challenge.

Grading my success by the end of the four weeks.

A = Complete at least three Tactical Hollow Body Pull Ups and 20 Push Ups.

B = Complete at least two Tactical Hollow Pull Ups and 15 Push Ups.

F = Anything less.

2.  A Barbarian’s Got to do What a Barbarian’s Got to do: I will continue to perform the Simple and Sinister workout 5 times a week  I need to continue to progress towards owning the Simple portion of the program. My time PR for doing 10 sets of 10 one handed swings with a 24 kg kettlebell is 9:25.  My goal for this challenge is to compress that time to less than 7 minutes.

A = Performing 10 sets of 10 one hand kettlebell swings with a 24 kg kettlebell in less than 7 minutes.

B =  Performing 10 sets of 10 one hand kettlebell swings with a 24 kg kettlebell in between 7 and 8 minutes.

C =  Performing 10 sets of 10 one hand kettlebell swings with a 24 kg kettlebell in between 8 and 9 minutes.

F=  Performing 10 sets of 10 one hand kettlebell swings with a 24 kg kettlebell in greater than 9 minutes.

3. Mini Quests: For me, the weekly Assassin Mini Quests are an important part of these Challenges.  I will continue to support the team to the very best of my ability during this one  :)

Each of the minis will be graded separately.  

4.  Stop Living Like a Barbarian:  When I got sick we started using the office as a catch all room. That's were we kept the oxygen generator and my medical equipment.  I ran tubing in hook on the walls to supply my oxygen wherever I was at in the house.  The office is now a pit and really does look like some kind of Barbarian lives there.  My goal for this challenge is to get it cleaned out, all of our documents organized and filed, and make the office presentable once again.

A = The office is clean and presentable, picture worthy.

F = It's not.

Reward for Successful Completion of This Challenge: 

My reward for the successful completion of this challenge will be a new Nerd Fitness shirt (once they become available)  :).

Motivation: On January 1st, 2015 I received a life saving double lung transplant.  I have to honor the family that gave me the gift of these lungs.  On what is most likely the worst day of their lives they made the decision to help others.  Words cannot express just how much my family and I appreciate this gift. They gave us a future.

I need to take care of these lungs and this body to the very best of my ability.

Here's to another awesome Challenge my Rebel friends!

These goals may be adjusted based on how quickly I kick this cold/whatever.  As I sit here typing my temperature is rising.  First goal is to stay out of the hospital :)

• Like 12

Thanks everyone, I am getting to feeling much better today.  My fever broke last night with teeth chattering shivers, and I am feeling drained, but much better.  No hospital visit for this Barbarian this time :)

... Do we get to see pics of the office at the end?

Is it ever possible for you to regain an immune system?

Yep, I'm going to post pictures of the office at the end, clean or not.  That's my motivation :)

With the way things are today, the body never accepts new lungs.  They are a very large organ that is exposed to the outside world.  I will always be taking my anti-rejection drugs.  For anti-rejection, I take Prograf, Cellcept, and Prednisone.  I'm down to only 15 mg of pred/day.  The pred and Prograf doses should go down over time.  That will allow my immune system to do a bit of it's job, but not much.  

A big issue with my system is that there is the potential of it attacking my lungs instead of a virus.  Last Feb I was infected with a Coronavirus.  A usually mild virus that most people don't even treat with OTC drugs.  My body couldn't handle the virus so attacked my lungs and I went into a pretty severe acute rejection event.  That was no fun.  The Team stopped the rejection event and I didn't have any lung damage.

I take my vitals, including lung capacity, twice/day and we have a pretty strict protocol on when to call the Team and when to call and head to the ER.  

• Like 3

It was great reading up on your last challenge, and I am really looking forward to following along with your first challenge of the new year. Glad to hear that you are feeling better. 

• Like 1

With the way things are today, the body never accepts new lungs.  They are a very large organ that is exposed to the outside world.  I will always be taking my anti-rejection drugs.  For anti-rejection, I take Prograf, Cellcept, and Prednisone.  I'm down to only 15 mg of pred/day.  The pred and Prograf doses should go down over time.  That will allow my immune system to do a bit of it's job, but not much.  

A big issue with my system is that there is the potential of it attacking my lungs instead of a virus.  Last Feb I was infected with a Coronavirus.  A usually mild virus that most people don't even treat with OTC drugs.  My body couldn't handle the virus so attacked my lungs and I went into a pretty severe acute rejection event.  That was no fun.  The Team stopped the rejection event and I didn't have any lung damage.

I take my vitals, including lung capacity, twice/day and we have a pretty strict protocol on when to call the Team and when to call and head to the ER.  

Thats heavy! I'm not at all knowledgable about transplants, so while I knew there was a risk of rejection I didn't realize the risk would always be there. I'm glad you have these protocals and glad you're taking such good care of yourself! 

• Like 1

Good luck with the job, and I hope you get over the virus soon. I know it's probably not the case for someone experiencing it firsthand, but reading about your transplant and all that is amazing.

• Like 1

Wow, a great and inspiring challenge. I think it's awesome that you want to be a steward of the lungs you've been given. That's amazing.

I hear you on the catch-all room. The things just seem to keep piling up. I'm equally motivated to get mine cleaned up.

I'll be looking forward to your progress. 

• Like 1

Week 1, Day 1 - A new challenge for the new year.  Let's kick some rear :)

Still recovering from my cold and my body was feeling pretty drained.  Did not work on push or pull ups today.

2.  A Barbarian’s Got to do What a Barbarian’s Got to do:

Same as the push/pull ups.  No energy for exercise.  I did look at my kettlebells longingly though :)

3. Mini Quests:

Have not seen this week's quest posted yet. 

4.  Stop Living Like a Barbarian:  

I did get a little clean up done in the office this afternoon.  I couldn't allow the entire day go to waste :)

• Like 3

Monday Macros

Weight = 153. Weight loss this week = 2 lb. Total weight loss = 98 lbs. Macros for the week = Carb/Fat/Prot - 18/58/23%. Daily avg cals = 2,358.  Body Fat = 12.8%.

Calories were a bit low, but macros are pretty much spot on.  I rested from exercise this week so wasn't much concerned with the calorie count.  When I can get back to swinging my kettlebells, I'll focus on reaching at least 2,600 cals/day.

Good news is that I didn't gain any weight over the holidays :)

I am feeling much better now and should be back in it tomorrow :)
  • Like 4

Week 1, Day 2 

The Assassin Mini for the week falls right in line with this.  The challenge is to set AMRAPS (As Many Reps As Possible) for various push up exercises.  Today I did a set of 50 push ups from the kitchen table.  When I was progressing to a real push up after my transplant, the most tabletop push ups I did was a set of 15, so I guess I set a new PR today :)

I'm still a little drained from being ill so laid off the kettlebells for another day.

3. Mini Quests:

This week's mini is "The Push".  We are to document AMRAPs in various push up progressions.  Wall, Table, Knee, Standard, Diamond, Typewriter, Uneven and One Arm Push Ups.   Looks simple on the surface,  but I think this will take some strategy to achieve the best results for each variation. 

Nothing today.

• Like 2

I'm glad you're feeling like doing some exercising! Great job with your new PR!! Unfortunately for me the mini was posted after I'd worked on my push-ups yesterday and today I'm really sore. It may be a day or so before I can attempt my AMRAP's.

• Like 1

Week 1, Day 3 - Wheew.... I am getting a late start to this one. 

Worked on pull up progressions today.

Today was my first day at the new job.  I got in 10k steps at work.  After work I picked up our granddaughter from school...

...and the excuses go on.  I need to find time for my kettlebells, they are calling my name.

3. Mini Quests:

I'll continue with the AMRAPs tomorrow.  I figure every other day is good for setting that many AMRAPs. 

Nothing today.

• Like 2