Jrosto - A Barbarian Cleans Up His Act

jrosto

The office is done!  Well...  I have to buy a frame for a Bret Hull autographed picture, but other than that it is done :)

510336E3-7C10-4B1F-8963-10AFE463CA50.jpg

The rocking chair was given to my Sweetie by the artist that created the Frito Bandito when she was pregnant with her first child.

When I started this project, we could't hardly even open the door.  Very happy to have reclaimed the room

The next two days are going to be spent at hospital and various clinics doing all of my 1st annual post-transplant check up.  We'll see how my little n-1 experiment of using the primal blueprint, bone broth, exercise and supplements has worked to counteract the body damaging side effects of my meds.  If all goes well, we may get to reduce the dosage of a couple of the harsher meds.

• Like 6

Barbarian Assassin / Level 5

STR: 16.5 | DEX: 4.8 | STA: 8.9 | CON: 8.7 | WIS: 6.6 | CHA: 6.8

My Current Six Week Challenge - Jrosto - A Barbarian Cleans Up His Act

Previous Challenges - #1, #2, #3, #4

My NF Introduction Post : My MDA Journal : My MDA Phase 1 Success Story

Simple & Sinister Workout Log

Keep Calm and Send in the Penguins!

It has been a busy two days, bouncing between different clinics and the hospital completing the set of annual post-transplant tests.

The prelim results are very good.  I am ahead of the curve in most areas, especially lung function and fitness level.  My n-1 experiment on ways to counteract the bone damaging effects of my meds needs some tweaking though.  My spine is in good shape, but my hips have lost 10% bone density since the last test (prelim result, more detailed results not posted yet).

I've also caught another virus.  Most likely a minor virus, but have to wait for it to be gene tested to be sure.

More detailed test results/comments behind the spoiler.

Yesterday's testing results are a mixed bag of outcomes. On the plus side, the lungs are doing awesome. My standard Pulmonary Function Test (PFT) resulted in a new record for my FEV1 (the amount of air I can forceably expel in one second). 114% of predicted normal and my total lung capacity is stable (FVC) at 103%. Last two FVC's were 104 and 102%. My Pulmonary Ventilation/Perfusion Scan looked really good to my untrained eye. The blood and air flow looked very consistent throughout the lungs. The tech wouldn't comment on these, so I'll have to wait until the results are posted on MyChart (or I hear from the Team) to know for sure. But they look like the normal images on the 'net, much better than my old lungs. X-Ray and CAT Scan were both good. Scar tissue from the surgery in my lower right lung has actually decreased. That's super cool and great news for an IPF patient.

I get to taper my prednisone down to 10 mg/day over the next two weeks, stop taking my prescribed iron supplement, cut my protonix dose in half, and hopefully reduce my Prograf dose.

The preliminary resluts of the bone density test found that my spine is in good shape, and my hips not so much so. This is just from the Tech performing the test, and not an official result, but my hips have lost 10% bone density since my last test. That is a disappointing result. I was really expecting an increased bone density and was surprised by this result. When I saw the doctors in the late morning, they had not yet received the official results. One thing that I will probably have to do is another 50k iu cycle of Vit D, and increased daily dosage depending on the results of my blood work.

I also have another virus in my sinuses. They have to get the sample genetically tested to identify the strain. It's either close to a common cold, or something much more interesting. Based on my other symptoms we are betting on common cold, but waiting for results to start treatment.

And lastly, the Team is not happy with my new job. They do understand why I'm doing it, and did not come out and tell me to stop, but would really like for me to find something else.

The ECHO of my heart and arteries was canceled as unnecessary. I tried to talk them into doing it anyway to prove that I didn't have issues with plaque buildup, but not this time. Couldn't argue too much as one less test to pay for, and they'll see any plaque build up on the CT Scan.

Today's testing started with an Arterial Blood Gas test. For this test they draw blood from an artery in the wrist. The artery is pretty deep and this test is not a lot of fun. This test checks how well the lungs are passing oxygen to the blood, and carbon dioxide out. My results were perfectly normal

The next test was the full series of pulmonary function testing. When I was sick, this was my least favorite test of all. I would come very close to blacking out several times during this procedure. Now is not nearly so bad. The most important result of this test to me is the DLCO (Diffusing capacity of the lungs for carbon monoxide). Basically this test is a real time measurement of how well gasses are transferring through the lungs into the blood. My result was right smack dab in the middle of what is considered normal for healthy lungs in a man of my age, weight and race. Another A+ Rig

The last test of the day was the Bronchoscopy with biopsy. This time they didn't hardly knock me out at all, I was able to watch and hear all that was going on. I was looking forward to some deep sleep The bronch went well and everything looks very good. The head of the team did the procedure and he is very happy with my progress. He is also very unhappy with my having to work doing what I'm doing, and with my virus. He would really like us to stop watching our granddaughter after school. That's not going to happen. We are just going to have to be more careful with touching and sensitization going forward.

So all in all very good results for this first annual set of post-transplant testing

I still have to do a 24 hour urine test this weekend. This test checks kidney function. Then there's the colonoscopy next Friday.

I plan to get caught up with everyone over the weekend.  Thanks for hanging in with me you guys, I do appreciate you.

• Like 5

I'm sorry, I seem to have missed it, what is your new job?  It's interesting reading about your test results.  It sounds to me like you're doing as well as, or better than, could be expected.  I'm glad to hear that.

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

:D

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for...

Current: RES: CUTE 2021 - cute is consistent

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

Testing seemed to go really well. Hopefully the bone density will improve with the Vit D and less Presidone, and the KB swings.

I'm sure as a medical team, the main thing they look at is to keep you physically healthy. But you of course need to stay emotionally healthy too, so of course you are going to spend time with your grandkids.That would be a non option for me if I was in your place. Maybe you can find a different job that they would be happier with. 

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

...what is your new job?

Official title is "light janitorial and Porter".  I clean bathrooms and pick up cigarette butts.  The team doesn't like it due to the exposure to solvents, infection and the elements.  I need it because as of Jan 1 my medical expenses are now half our total income and, well, we need to eat.  I'm happy to have the job and the company that hired me did so pretty much as a favor.

I'm really happy with the results of the tests.  I've been feeling really blech this weekend and I'm not sure if it's due to the virus or just leftovers from the Bronchoscopy.  I got my veggie garden bed ready for planting yesterday and that may have been a bit much, I felt pretty rung out after.

This challenge certainly did not turn out as planned.  I did get the office cleaned up, and that is a major plus.  I'm disappointed in the rest of my efforts though.  I've let stressing over things that I really have no control over affect my basic gogetitness.    I need to just cowboy up and carry on.

I'll get there :)

• Like 4

Monday Macros

Weight = 151. Weight loss this week = 2 lb. Total weight loss = 100 lbs. Macros for the week = Carb/Fat/Prot - 19/56/25%. Daily avg cals = 2,445. Body Fat = Forgot to check this morning %

Cals were a little low, but macros were spot on.  This week is also going to be a bit low on cals, and probably high on protein.  A few days of low residue, a day of clear liquids, and colonoscopy day = low cal week.  

Now to the elephant in the room... a total of 100 lbs lost since starting the Primal Blueprint.  Who'd a thunk it.

• Like 5