• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jburns08

jburns 1st challenge

Hi all,

This is my 1st challenge, so i figured it would be good to piggy back of some current goals I've been working on.  Also I should probably throw out a brief into.  I do shaolin kung fu, and a traditional form of yang taiji.  Most of the goals are to help me push through some plateaus in my kung fu practice.

Fitness:

Morning flexibility routine

10min morning jog 

Diet:

Paleo Breakfast 3+ times a week

Paleo Dinner 1+ time a week

Level Up:

Meditate 3+ times a week.

Walk my alarm back to wake up at 5am every morning.

Track my budget for the month using YNAB.

• Like 1

Small and specific. To the point. I like it.

Good luck! Let us know if we can do anything to help you out!

• Like 1

Thanks!  I will certainly be posting if any issues come up.

Not sure if we're supposed to keep ourselves up to date in this thread, or another but either way...

Got up 10min earlier this morning, and got some stretching in, unfortunately no time for a jog until I push my wake up back a little more.  I was able to make a nice bacon, egg and veggie scramble this morning though.

I'm hoping this will be a nice start to my day, and I won't slowly become more exhausted as the week goes on.

Small and specific. To the point. I like it.

Good luck! Let us know if we can do anything to help you out!

It's completely up to you how much you post: daily, once a week, whenever you think of it.

Very sensible goals :-)  Welcome in!

^What these two said.

Post when you feel up to it!  I know sometimes I vanish.  Then again, you'll notice a lot of people will vanish now and again.  Ultimately, if the option is between posting in the challenge or DOING the challenge, I think we would all prefer if you quietly kept chugging along on the challenge front.

Welcome to NF! :)

• Like 1

Huanying, fellow kung fu enthusiast! I've been practicing Hung Gar (Southern Shaolin) for the last year or so. Welcome to the Monks! I'm sure you'll find your stay enjoyable :D

Thanks.  It's nice to meet another kung fu player here!  I've been lurking on the boards and through I would finally jump in and try to get involved.  It's been great reading about all of the different arts being done by the members here.

• Like 2

Week in review!

Fitness:

Morning flexibility routine - I've been doing this, but it is not very successful, I'm too cold in the morning to make it a good stretch.  I'm going to shuffle it to the evening, so I still keep the flexibility.

10min morning jog - My morning wake up hasn't pushed back early enough to have time for this yet.  I will replace the flexibility in the morning with this.

Diet:

Paleo Breakfast 3+ times a week - Check!  3 days of bacon, eggs and veggies, 2 days of fasting (not intentional, just falling back into old habits).

Paleo Dinner 1+ time a week - Managd 2.  I'm hoping I can keep this going as I make a big shift in my training, and will need to bring dinner with me in the morning.

Level Up:

Meditate 3+ times a week - I'm at 2, so just need to squeeze the 3rd in tonight.

Walk my alarm back to wake up at 5am every morning - I'm now awake by 515, and usually get moving about 530, so I say on track!

Track my budget for the month using YNAB - Budget is fully up to date.

So it's all going well, but next week I'm making the shift to train 4hr, 2x a week, then my normal 2.5hr, 3 other days.  It is going to be a big strain on this, but I think I can make it all happen!

• Like 1

Hmm, looks good so far.

I can understand moving your flexibility training to the evening as opposed to the morning. You're stiffer in the morning because you haven't moved as much. That said, I've been led to understand that flexibility work is flexibility work. You get gains in your stretches through practice, and while there is research suggesting that you're at your most open later in the day, practice gives benefit regardless. Just, you know, stay safe and don't rip anything, 'cuz that sucks.

'course, on the other hand, pushing it back does make room for jogging.

Big training change coming up, huh? Good luck with that. Is that just for the week, or is that something more permanent?

Yeah, because I help teach at the school (which I love), I'm finding less and less time to work on my own form and improvement.  I also feel like I've been hitting a bit of a plateau in my improvement.  I'm still learning new forms, but not doing a good job of internalizing them, or making them my own.  So I'm going to start going training right after work 2 days a week.  That means I'll be increasing my time from 1.5hr shaolin, 1hr taiji to 3hr shaolin, 1hr taiji on those days.  Hopefully it will be a permanent change, and maybe increase the number of days a week as I adjust to it.

Its going to be brutal, but I'm excited.

• Like 1

Thanks for checking in!  It has been brutal, but great.  I've managed to smooth out some forms that were getting pretty rough.  Mostly it's making it tough on timing, trying to make dinner in the morning before work.  

It also ended up being rougher because the instructor went out of town this weekend, so I've pretty much been at the school more than home.  Has been great for practice, but exhausting, lol.

Well the week in review is a bit late, but it has been a crazy busy weekend.

Fitness:

Morning flexibility routine - Evening flexibility is going well.  I'm slowly on my way to the goal of splits by the end of the year!

10min morning jog - This has not been going well.  I managed 1 run last week.  It could be the extra training time, or just that I hate running is making me put it off.  This is possibly a lost cause for this challenge.  The positive is, I'm getting the cardio from my extra training time.  So as far as the improvement I'm getting it, just not from this.

Diet:

Paleo Breakfast 3+ times a week - Check!  Made some great egg\chorizo muffins that have been great this week

Paleo Dinner 1+ time a week - Check!  The weekend ended up being not so great, but I was back on the horse monday.

Level Up:

Meditate 3+ times a week - Making this, sometimes its more of a moving meditation, but I'm getting my mind in the right place regularly.

Walk my alarm back to wake up at 5am every morning - This one is rough.  With the extra training time, I'm finding it harder to wake up any earlier.  I may just need to give my body some time to adjust to the more rigorous schedule.

Track my budget for the month using YNAB - Still sticking on this, and excited to finally be putting a small amount towards some savings goals again.

• Like 1

Hahaha, 'round these here parts, we call that "Play." It's the best way to get your cardio on that we can think of around here. It's not a bad trade.

Meanwhile, it sounds like you're on the way with food, flexibility, and meditation. I feel you on the alarm troubles, though. It's rough. :( Hang in there!

It is very much my preferred method of cardio, because I hate running.  Plus I have always felt that using your sport to build cardio just give you the skill in a way that is more applicable.

I'm feeling pretty good about most of my goals, I really need to start thinking about what I'm going to be doing next month!  Although I'm kind of low on ideas.  There isn't much more training I can do, or more time left in the day, lol.

Well, if you're training as much as you can, then, there's not much else to worry about as far as that goes. So... at that point you start looking at everything else. You look at your diet, your sleep, your job, your life, your hobbies, your habits. Fitness might be the name of the game around here, but that doesn't mean just physical stuff.

Well last week has gone pretty well.  Sleep is still the big struggle, but slowly getting better.  I'm probably not making 5am, but getting to 5:15 has helped a good deal in the morning. 

Diet is going well, except for a big cheat this weekend.  We had a seminar on hookswords saturday, so it made for a nice 7hr day at the school.  The form has multiple full sits, including 4 in a row at the end, so my legs were toast.  Went home sat in a nice epsom salt bath and had about 4 beers, lol.  But back to good food today.

I'm excited to finish up my first full challenge here, just need to keep pushing through the last week!

• Like 1

Well last week has gone pretty well.  Sleep is still the big struggle, but slowly getting better.  I'm probably not making 5am, but getting to 5:15 has helped a good deal in the morning. 

Diet is going well, except for a big cheat this weekend.  We had a seminar on hookswords saturday, so it made for a nice 7hr day at the school.  The form has multiple full sits, including 4 in a row at the end, so my legs were toast.  Went home sat in a nice epsom salt bath and had about 4 beers, lol.  But back to good food today.

I'm excited to finish up my first full challenge here, just need to keep pushing through the last week!

I feel seven hours practicing more than covers for 4 beers.  It's not a cheat, it's a reward!

Glad everything is going well for you!

• Like 1

I feel seven hours practicing more than covers for 4 beers.  It's not a cheat, it's a reward!

Glad everything is going well for you!

That is a very good point.  They certainly felt earned, lol

• Like 1

Well the last week finished out strong.

I'm declaring all but 2 of my goals completed.

I'm still not back to 5am, but I am up between 515 and 530 every morning so that is an improvement.

I also didn't get the running in, but I am getting the increased cardio in via more training, so the spirit of the goal was met, just not the goal itself.

I'm looking forward to starting up my next challenge this week!  Hopefully I'll have the thread started by the end of the day.  I have the goals written out at least.

cheers! and thanks for all the comments and support!