The Easy Does Its

Are you trying to make slow, steady changes to your lifestyle?

Do you feel like your accomplishments in your guild might go unnoticed next to the guy deadlifting 500 lbs or the woman running two marathons?

Do you need encouragement and reminders that lifting one more pound a week or losing half a pound a week still adds up to huge progress if you stick with it?

If you answered yes to these questions, then this group is for you!

I'm looking for up to nine nerds of any guild to band together to make small changes for eventual big results.

Who's with me?

Please introduce yourself if you want to join and I'll add you to the list!

Members:
1. Grizzy

2. Kath

3. PositiveBlue

4. jackiethewaite

5. E_Mo

6. bker1370

7. 221Tea

8. The Chameleon

9. Atemu

10. msblt82

11. fiddle-on

• Like 2

I'm Grizzy. I've been trying to make big, sweeping changes for years and nothing has stuck. So I'm trying to go slow this time and looking for support.

With diet, I want to start out by just trying to bring down my food consumption to normalish; eating 3 plates of food a day instead of 4 or 5.

With exercise, I want to exercise everyday, but to start, most of my workouts require no more than 15 minutes.

For life, I want to continue doing something that makes me happy; reading a book every week.

This is easy, but I need the focus and discipline to not get bored and quit because it's not particularly ambitious.

• Like 1

Hey Grizzy, sign me up! This sounds like a great idea. I'm trying to start slow so that I can actually achieve my goals, & not overwhelm myself.

My name is Kath, and I am starting my first challenge. Well, my second first challenge. (The first one I started I took on more than I could chew, and ended up dropping out.) So this time around, my goals are more manageable. 

My goal is basically weight loss for this challenge - setting up some positive habits that can continue on after the challenge is over. My three quests are:

1. Eat within my calorie budget.

2. Drink 64 oz of water a day.

3. Do my zumba workout at least twice a week. Starting small on this because my activity is really low right now, but I plan on having this become a regular thing.

I will pop in regularly with updates and support. :)

I'm Grizzy. I've been trying to make big, sweeping changes for years and nothing has stuck. So I'm trying to go slow this time and looking for support.

With diet, I want to start out by just trying to bring down my food consumption to normalish; eating 3 plates of food a day instead of 4 or 5.

With exercise, I want to exercise everyday, but to start, most of my workouts require no more than 15 minutes.

For life, I want to continue doing something that makes me happy; reading a book every week.

This is easy, but I need the focus and discipline to not get bored and quit because it's not particularly ambitious.

Those sound like great goals! What sort of exercises do you like/plan to do? Also your life goal sounds really fun, is there a book you have in mind for the first week? :D

Hey Grizzy, sign me up! This sounds like a great idea. I'm trying to start slow so that I can actually achieve my goals, & not overwhelm myself.

My name is Kath, and I am starting my first challenge. Well, my second first challenge. (The first one I started I took on more than I could chew, and ended up dropping out.) So this time around, my goals are more manageable. 

My goal is basically weight loss for this challenge - setting up some positive habits that can continue on after the challenge is over. My three quests are:

1. Eat within my calorie budget.

2. Drink 64 oz of water a day.

3. Do my zumba workout at least twice a week. Starting small on this because my activity is really low right now, but I plan on having this become a regular thing.

I will pop in regularly with updates and support. :)

Those are awesome goals. What's your calorie budget look like? I always have the WORST time counting calories and I HATE it. Which is why I'm trying the 3-plate strategy.

I really gotta get a zumba dvd. It looks like so much fun! Either that or buy a new ddr mat. Mine broke. :(

Those sound like great goals! What sort of exercises do you like/plan to do? Also your life goal sounds really fun, is there a book you have in mind for the first week? :D

I plan to do at least 3 sets of at least one easy bodyweight, dumbbell or light barbell lift on Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday will be at least 1 mile of walking or jogging. Saturday is a 10 minute stretching or yoga session. Honestly if I get sweaty doing these, the time commitment for the shower should be worse than the time commitment for the workout!

Right now I'm reading the discworld books. Since I started it yesterday, I plan to count what I'm currently reading- Equal Rites- as my first book for the challenge. I consider the challenge started basically when I post my thread. :D

• Like 1

Hello!

Do you mind if I join in here?

I found in previous challenges that the accountability groups were the best way to stay on track. 

This is a new year with a new start.

My Goals are:

1) Keep the Kitchen counter clean from dishes (it never gets truly bad but I want better than things are now)

2) AM Workout of some form or another

3) Healthy snacking

Sign me up! I'm a teacher and going back to school on the 27th January. These are my goals.

Level one challenge:

Diet:

Eat a vegetable with one meal everyday.

Two coffees per day and lots more water.

Fitness:

Walk every day (5 minutes) - this could even be in the form of standing up at your desk and walking around the office.

Level Up Your Life:

#100happydays Take a picture of one thing that makes me happy everyday.

• Like 1

Days completed

0%
0%

Hello!

Do you mind if I join in here?

I found in previous challenges that the accountability groups were the best way to stay on track. 

This is a new year with a new start.

My Goals are:

1) Keep the Kitchen counter clean from dishes (it never gets truly bad but I want better than things are now)

2) AM Workout of some form or another

3) Healthy snacking

I would love to have you! I agree; I feel like it's so easy to get lost in the shuffle on the guild boards. Having a small group of people dedicated to cheering you on is great!

At some point I may want to mimic your first goal, but with the dining room table. We never really dine on it; it just becomes a sort of dumping ground for whatever comes into the house without a designated place.

Sign me up! I'm a teacher and going back to school on the 27th January. These are my goals.

Level one challenge:

Diet:

Eat a vegetable with one meal everyday.

Two coffees per day and lots more water.

Fitness:

Walk every day (5 minutes) - this could even be in the form of standing up at your desk and walking around the office.

Level Up Your Life:

#100happydays Take a picture of one thing that makes me happy everyday.

Good to see you here! I generally struggle to eat sufficient veggies, so your first diet goal resonates with me.

I'm curious; is your goal of two coffees per day more or less than you usually have? I know some people try to start drinking black coffee to improve their metabolism. Also, what counts as 'lots' of water for you? I would set a goal of a certain number of glasses so you have a clear idea of whether you succeeded each day!

Also, if you feel comfortable I would love to see some of your favorite pictures of what makes you happy! That's such a cool goal!

Welcome to Nerd Fitness!

I would love to have you! I agree; I feel like it's so easy to get lost in the shuffle on the guild boards. Having a small group of people dedicated to cheering you on is great!

At some point I may want to mimic your first goal, but with the dining room table. We never really dine on it; it just becomes a sort of dumping ground for whatever comes into the house without a designated place.

Good to see you here! I generally struggle to eat sufficient veggies, so your first diet goal resonates with me.

I'm curious; is your goal of two coffees per day more or less than you usually have? I know some people try to start drinking black coffee to improve their metabolism. Also, what counts as 'lots' of water for you? I would set a goal of a certain number of glasses so you have a clear idea of whether you succeeded each day!

Also, if you feel comfortable I would love to see some of your favorite pictures of what makes you happy! That's such a cool goal!

Welcome to Nerd Fitness!

Two coffees would be a lot less than what I currently drink. There have been days when I've drunk nothing but coffee, and no water. I only realise it when I go to the bathroom or my kidneys hurt. [emoji38]

Drinking more would be drinking at least 2L / day. Replacing coffees with water. Carrying a water bottle around with me in each class. Drinking before I'm thirsty. Drinking when I'm feeling hungry/bored/procrastinating.

Walking more is getting up off the computer during any spares and walking to the bathroom, drink fountains, photocopy room, library etc. to negate all the sitting down in front of a screen. It's a part of the job, but I want to get my steps up and be less sedentary.

I'm also trying to declutter my house during the holidays. What an awful job it is. I also want to go out to the beach more before school starts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Days completed

0%
0%

Those are awesome goals. What's your calorie budget look like? I always have the WORST time counting calories and I HATE it. Which is why I'm trying the 3-plate strategy.

I really gotta get a zumba dvd. It looks like so much fun! Either that or buy a new ddr mat. Mine broke. :(

I used to do DDR! Not gracefully, but still.

I'm shooting for around 1200 calories per day. I will see how it feels for the first week and then adjust if needed. 

I tried zumba for the first time today. Wow, it looks easy, but it definitely has you working up a sweat fast! I was able to make it about 26 minutes in to the work out before needing to stop haha. I'm enjoying it so far though.

Also welcome new faces! :D

Have any room for another? I have only been successful in one challenge, and it was because of an accountability group. I completed my last challenge, but didn't post for the last two weeks of it.

I usually have 2-3 weeks of being really good and intense with my workouts and eating, then one or the other fades a bit. Then they both fade, and the cycle continues. 

This time I am trying to make much smaller and realistic goals. Calorie counting is totally unfun, so I got a diet and exercise log and I will write down everything I eat during the day. This way I can roughly track how much I'm eating, and it is easier to put it into myfitnesspal if I decide to do so.

My second goal is to go out to eat less and drink less alcohol. Easier said than done, but it is easily measured.

Third is to exercise 4 times per week, doing whatever I choose to do. I really love 30 Days of Yoga with Adriene, so I am going to try to keep on track with that. I also just got access to my tiny, tiny work gym, so I can get some cardio in there after work.

Small steps hopefully to bigger success in the future.

Level 6 Halfling Adventurer

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/8773

This sounds like just the group for me. I've had the same issues with going gangbusters for 3-4 months and then having my "cheat day" roll into a cheat year.

E-mo: sounds like we've had similar experiences! This time around I'm trying to forgive myself for any slip ups and not use that as justification to fall further off the wagon eating-wise.

Jackie- I feel you on the caffeine/coffee. Two years ago I transitioned from drinking 4-5 regular pops A DAY to diet pop, and my goal for the next challenge is to ease myself off the diet as well. I did a similar photo challenge last year (1 photo for every day) and loved it!

My goals are slow to start:

1) prepare a healthy breakfast every work day - This is such a struggle for me.

2) complete 12 stronglifts workouts

3) Lose 4lb

Looking forward to seeing everyone's progress!

• Like 1

Is there room for me, too?

I love this approach and feel like my goals for this (my first) challenge are pretty modest.

Main Quest

Lose fat.  I want to lose 2 inches from my body measurements (neck, chest, waist, hips, biceps, thighs, calves).

My Big Why
I want to set an example for others in my life that it’s possible to change.

3 Diet and Fitness Goals that Will Get Me There
  1. Go to bed early (by 10pm at least 3 days a week)
  2. Walk more (7,000 steps per day OR 49,000 steps per week)
  3. Fast in the morning (twice a week… until 12pm and maybe even 1pm)

Leveling Up My Life Goal
Give a compliment, piece of encouragement, or positive reinforcement to someone once each week. Has to be in person or over the phone (though I promise to be supportive to accountabilibuddies and others online, too! I just think I'm already pretty good at that...)

Plenty of room for all of you newcomers! Welcome!

Have any room for another? I have only been successful in one challenge, and it was because of an accountability group. I completed my last challenge, but didn't post for the last two weeks of it.

I usually have 2-3 weeks of being really good and intense with my workouts and eating, then one or the other fades a bit. Then they both fade, and the cycle continues. 

This time I am trying to make much smaller and realistic goals. Calorie counting is totally unfun, so I got a diet and exercise log and I will write down everything I eat during the day. This way I can roughly track how much I'm eating, and it is easier to put it into myfitnesspal if I decide to do so.

My second goal is to go out to eat less and drink less alcohol. Easier said than done, but it is easily measured.

Third is to exercise 4 times per week, doing whatever I choose to do. I really love 30 Days of Yoga with Adriene, so I am going to try to keep on track with that. I also just got access to my tiny, tiny work gym, so I can get some cardio in there after work.

Small steps hopefully to bigger success in the future.

One of the reasons I'm loving this new 4 week challenge format is because I also have a few weeks of being really good. Renewing that sense of excitement every 4 weeks rather than 6 will help. I also always lose count of what week it is after week 3 or 4!

I agree that calorie counting totally sucks. It's easier for me to have a general idea of 'okay, I know I ate 2 burritos last week, and that one of those is at least 500 calories, so if I drop one this week I'll be doing significantly better.' Writing stuff down is the way to go!

I like your goals. The big thing is to not try and change completely overnight, but to do just a little better this month than you did last month!

Count me in.

Hooray!

This sounds like just the group for me. I've had the same issues with going gangbusters for 3-4 months and then having my "cheat day" roll into a cheat year.

E-mo: sounds like we've had similar experiences! This time around I'm trying to forgive myself for any slip ups and not use that as justification to fall further off the wagon eating-wise.

Jackie- I feel you on the caffeine/coffee. Two years ago I transitioned from drinking 4-5 regular pops A DAY to diet pop, and my goal for the next challenge is to ease myself off the diet as well. I did a similar photo challenge last year (1 photo for every day) and loved it!

My goals are slow to start:
1) prepare a healthy breakfast every work day - This is such a struggle for me.
2) complete 12 stronglifts workouts
3) Lose 4lb

Looking forward to seeing everyone's progress!

I feel the cheat year. *Glares at the 20 lbs I gained this year*

I hate making breakfast. Or lunch. I eat out way to much because of it. *attempt to discreetly nom on purchased starbucks breakfast*. I need to see if I can persuade my fiance to start packing my lunch, since I make dinner most of the time. :P

I love stronglifts/starting strength, but my mobility is too poor for it right now. I hope to get it going again next challenge!

Is there room for me, too?

I love this approach and feel like my goals for this (my first) challenge are pretty modest.

Main Quest

Lose fat.  I want to lose 2 inches from my body measurements (neck, chest, waist, hips, biceps, thighs, calves).

My Big Why
I want to set an example for others in my life that it’s possible to change.

3 Diet and Fitness Goals that Will Get Me There
  1. Go to bed early (by 10pm at least 3 days a week)
  2. Walk more (7,000 steps per day OR 49,000 steps per week)
  3. Fast in the morning (twice a week… until 12pm and maybe even 1pm)

Leveling Up My Life Goal
Give a compliment, piece of encouragement, or positive reinforcement to someone once each week. Has to be in person or over the phone (though I promise to be supportive to accountabilibuddies and others online, too! I just think I'm already pretty good at that...)

When do you fast? I've tried to quit breakfast, but I can't do it on work days. I just end up sitting there looking at the clock until it's noon and I can have lunch.

I love your life goal. I frequently try to make a goal such as that, but I'm so shy in real life and I never succeed. :(

Happy Tuesday everyone!

How did your first day go? Anything that went better than expected? Anything harder than expected? Remember, in the first few days of the challenge, it's sometimes necessary and TOTALLY OKAY to refine your goals based on what you learn.

Maybe you decided to have one soda a day, when you were having five, and you just can't do it. Well, adjust to limit yourself to three or four.

Maybe you were going to work out 30 minutes a day, but you haven't quite figured out how to work that in. It's fine to start at five minutes a day and add another five minutes in each subsequent week.

Maybe you were going to be vegetarian before six, but have eaten nothing but meat and bread and cheese since you could chew solids. Resolve to eat a salad for lunch one day a week, or make spaghetti squash or a stir-fry for dinner.

Don't be afraid to adjust to make things easier if it's too hard. If we're each 2% better this month than last, and we do that each challenge, we'll be 24% better in a year. And that matters.

• Like 1

Can I still join? I'm new and would be happy to have a group for my first steps into a healthier future.

My current quests are:

Quest 1: No sugar for my coffee

Quest 2: Reduce my consum of Cigarettes on workdays to 8

Quest 3: Do a workout at least 2x a weak

Quest 4: Clean my room once per week

It is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love.