The Easy Does Its

I'm reading everyone's drink suggestions, but quoting on mobile sucks. So my blanket response is yes, tea! I will try more tea!

I may just start automatically making a cup of tea with dinner, since that will keep me occupied drinking something non caloric.

Fiddle-on, I'm so sorry about your injury. That sucks! What sitting down hobbies do you do to pass the time?

Just a FWIW- It took me about 3 years of drinking tea to actually enjoy drinking tea (same with coffee). I think good gateway teas are the mint teas, cinnamon spice, and so on. For caffeinated teas, I LOVE Good Earth sweet & spicy. Not the easiest to find around these parts, but I drink it every day in the morning and have for about 2 years. It tastes so yummy.

I also still don't like the taste of green tea, so I don't drink it at all even though the health benefits are greater.

Level 6 Halfling Adventurer

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/8773

Tea? Are we talking tea?  :peaceful:

Herbals are always a great choice - if anyone has a David's Tea nearby, they make excellent herbal/dessert teas. (Forever Nuts is THE TEA I recommend to hesitant first time tea drinkers)

You can get a bit of a sweet fix w/o the calories. I've also made the switch to splenda/sugar twin etc, but I understand if some people don't want to use artificial sweeteners. 

Mint teas are very refreshing and if you're looking for something a bit sweet and not bitter, you can never go wrong with a honeybush/rooibos tea. 

Tea? Are we talking tea?  :peaceful:

Herbals are always a great choice - if anyone has a David's Tea nearby, they make excellent herbal/dessert teas. (Forever Nuts is THE TEA I recommend to hesitant first time tea drinkers)

You can get a bit of a sweet fix w/o the calories. I've also made the switch to splenda/sugar twin etc, but I understand if some people don't want to use artificial sweeteners. 

Mint teas are very refreshing and if you're looking for something a bit sweet and not bitter, you can never go wrong with a honeybush/rooibos tea. 

Hmm. Just looked, and they've got a couple locations within 20 miles. I'll have to check them out next time I head in that direction.

Karen

Otherwise know as Fiddle

Current Challenge

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/108280-fiddle-eats-less-and-fiddles

Past Challenges:

Jan 2016, Feb 2016, March 2016April 2016, May 2016June/July2016, July/August 2016, Sept/Oct 2016, Nov 2016, May 2017

Welcome to the club, both of you!

Thank you :)

Great goals! Reducing cigarettes can be tough; got anyone in your real-life that can support you as well?

Yes, it is, but I think reducing in small steps fits me. I once tried a cold turkey, only worked for a week.

When I succeeded in this challenge and try to reduce even more, I will talk to my friends. Then I have something to proof my seriousness and the extra support is definitely needed.

Maybe you could use a thermosflask filled with tea when you leave the house. Could prevent you from buying something unhealthy.

Overall I think my week started good. Yesterday I smoked 11 (from at least 16 on a usual day) and I will complete today with 10 (go to sleep in 2 hours and only smoked 9). Besides I did a work out yesterday :).

It is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love.

Fiddle-on, I'm so sorry about your injury. That sucks! What sitting down hobbies do you do to pass the time?

Way too much time on the internet :nevreness: . I also read a lot, and I've got an office job that's mostly sitting. Before finding Nerd Fitness, most of my for-fun activities were sitting (except hiking). So passing the time isn't an issue. Trying to stay in shape has been harder. This challenge, I'm trying to get a little more serious with strength training, because I can do that without a lot of walking.

Karen

Otherwise know as Fiddle

Current Challenge

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/108280-fiddle-eats-less-and-fiddles

Past Challenges:

Jan 2016, Feb 2016, March 2016April 2016, May 2016June/July2016, July/August 2016, Sept/Oct 2016, Nov 2016, May 2017

I'm back to my pre-Christmas size! So everything here on out is going to feel like real progress.

• Like 4

Karen

Otherwise know as Fiddle

Current Challenge

Past Challenges:

My big issues lately has been sugar in my tea.  My office is so cold, that having a hot drink is practically a requirement.  I don't drink coffee and hot chocolate is a rare treat these days.  So tea, lots and lots of tea.  I am slowing working on cutting out the sugar though and trying new flavors that are easier to forgo the sugar with (orange I can almost do sugar free).

Have you tried bringing a lemon or two to work? I've been drinking green tea more regularly. Even if I brew it exactly according to the directions, it always tastes bitter. Adding a squeeze of lemon (you could do a squirt from one of those prepared lemon juice things, too) makes all the difference! Just a tiny bit of fructose and it adds some complexity.

• Like 1

Green tea... omnomnomnom

So, I'm doing great on my goals tonight!  But tonight I am really struggling. I posted a longer version in my thread, but basically, I have had a really stressful bad day and I want to emotional binge eat so bad it's all I can think about.  I'm trying to stay distracted between tv/books/games.  It's also the weekend my son is at his dad's so super quiet house.  Blah.

Level: 15 Race: Human Class: Adventurer (Sailor Senshi/Aes Sedai)

STR: 14    DEX: 12    STA: 16   CON: 28   WIS: 26    CHA: 15 

(unspent points: 6? challenges worth)

Weight Loss Progress (SW 12/5/15 272)

Mini-Goal: Get back down to my low 152.2 - SW 6/1/17 170.4 - CW 6/10/17: 166.6

regained the last few months - back on track losing in June

My Battle Log|My NF Character Sheet

Challenges:

1/16-2/16-3/16-4/16-5/16-6/16-7/16-8/16-9/16-11/16-12/16-1/17-2/17-

Green tea... omnomnomnom

So, I'm doing great on my goals tonight!  But tonight I am really struggling. I posted a longer version in my thread, but basically, I have had a really stressful bad day and I want to emotional binge eat so bad it's all I can think about.  I'm trying to stay distracted between tv/books/games.  It's also the weekend my son is at his dad's so super quiet house.  Blah.

I'm sorry you are feeling that way. :(

I find that sometimes just having something like gum, or ice-cubes, or a good cup of coffee (SOMETHING in my mouth lol) help keeps the emotional binging at bay. Could always browse the NF forums too for inspiration to stay strong, or try meditation. (Taking some deep calming breaths to sort of clear your head and keep your thoughts from circling back to food helps.) I'm here if you need to vent or need a cheerleader haha. 

Today has gone pretty well for me. I got sparkling water at the store which squashes my soda cravings. (Yay!) And all the shopping I did gave me an excuse to walk around lots. \o/

• Like 2

Thanks, Kath.  :)  I am feeling better today after a good night's sleep.  I chugged water, read some inspiring things on NF and other sites, and then dug in to finish my book.

I'm glad you had a good day!

• Like 2

Challenges:

Green tea... omnomnomnom

Bleh. I know it's the day after now, but one thing that helps me when I'm feeling like that is taking a nap. A 20 minute nap is usually enough to settle my cravings for an hour or two, and sometimes even longer. Or get out of the house so that it's just that little bit more difficult to give in. I hope that things look up today.

Fiddle

• Like 1

Karen

Otherwise know as Fiddle

Current Challenge

Past Challenges:

@msblt82 - I know how hard it is to struggle with binge eating, especially with stress/depression etc this time of year. I'm trying to find ways to satisfy cravings w/o negating my diet too. The "drink water!" never really worked for me. One thing thay has helped is getting a bit of chocolate protein, mixing that with a bit of splenda and steel cut oats for a sweet fix. Is it the BEST for me? No - but its fewer calories and more protein/fibre than a chocolate bar.

Maybe look at some of your go-to binge foods and see if you can modify them?

Also pat yourself on the back for acknowledging the stress and actively trying to remedy bad habits!

• Like 1

Hello! Is this group still taking in people because I want to tag along?

Anywhales! Hi! I am Hans (in no way my real name nor have any affiliations with the antagonist from Frozen with the similar name)

My new year goals are the following:

1. Eat clean and in controlled portions. I repeat--do not go overboard (i was about to write donut--tehe)

2. Work on my daily activity level! Rucking for 10-30 mins erryday, pump in some early morning workouts before going to college and body weight workouts etc. Basically, stay active.

3. STUDY! NO BE LAZY! Haul your butt over to your study table.

To type or not type that is the thing my fingers will have to do... Get on with your magic, typing fingers!

Class and Profession: Rangers/Druid
Background: 27 year old Nerdling. Idk what to write anymore so imagine that this is a cool intro

Spoiler

Quote:

The extraordinary is in what we do, not who we are--Lara Croft.

Bleh. I know it's the day after now, but one thing that helps me when I'm feeling like that is taking a nap. A 20 minute nap is usually enough to settle my cravings for an hour or two, and sometimes even longer. Or get out of the house so that it's just that little bit more difficult to give in. I hope that things look up today.

Fiddle

Napping is an interesting idea, I'll have to try it, Getting out of the house definitely helps!

@msblt82 - I know how hard it is to struggle with binge eating, especially with stress/depression etc this time of year. I'm trying to find ways to satisfy cravings w/o negating my diet too. The "drink water!" never really worked for me. One thing thay has helped is getting a bit of chocolate protein, mixing that with a bit of splenda and steel cut oats for a sweet fix. Is it the BEST for me? No - but its fewer calories and more protein/fibre than a chocolate bar.

Maybe look at some of your go-to binge foods and see if you can modify them?

Also pat yourself on the back for acknowledging the stress and actively trying to remedy bad habits!

thanks, 221Tea!  chocolate protein is an interesting idea.  I've been trying to feed my sweet tooth with fruit so far.  I used to buy those Special K chocolate protein bars as a treat.

• Like 1

Challenges:

So it wasn't the best weekend eating wise, however I got a lot of good exercise in. We went on a two hour hike which was pretty challenging on some parts and really got the heart rate up. Today I went to the climbing gym and did 20 minutes of cardio and an hour of climbing. It is a good way to challenge my fear of heights while working out. And tonight I will do day 26 of 30 Days of Yoga with Adriene. 

Food wise was another story. I went out to eat twice and ended up with bar food both nights. Nachos on Friday and half a hamburger and french fries on Saturday. Also had 4 beers this weekend. I was really good during the week, so maybe they balance each other out? I am recording all my food, though.

As for my to-do lists: I am accomplishing everything on my to-do list, which feels great.

Onto next week!

• Like 1

Level 6 Halfling Adventurer

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/8773

Well, one week in and how is everyone doing?

I am doing well (detailed daily reports in my battle log and detailed weekly wrap-up in my challenge thread).

B'ker Level 1 Half-elf Ranger  STR: 3  DEX: 3  CON: 3  INT: 3  WIS: 2  CHA: 2

Bker Survives December Challenge Tracking Spreadsheet

Walking to Mordor (2019) Spreadsheet

MyFitnessPal | FitBit | Instagram

Walking to Mordor 1879.44 miles/1779 miles

Mini Challenge:  Week 1:  | Week 2:  | Week 3 | Week 4 | Week 5 |

Hello! Is this group still taking in people because I want to tag along?

Anywhales! Hi! I am Hans (in no way my real name nor have any affiliations with the antagonist from Frozen with the similar name)

My new year goals are the following:

1. Eat clean and in controlled portions. I repeat--do not go overboard (i was about to write donut--tehe)

2. Work on my daily activity level! Rucking for 10-30 mins erryday, pump in some early morning workouts before going to college and body weight workouts etc. Basically, stay active.

3. STUDY! NO BE LAZY! Haul your butt over to your study table.

To type or not type that is the thing my fingers will have to do... Get on with your magic, typing fingers!

Welcome, Hansjay!

haha, donut.

One thing I really have to remember about myself... I completely fall apart over the weekends.

Couldn't lift weights yesterday because by the time I remembered, it was nearly midnight and I was drunk. So I did some half-assed squats. Not really proud of that.

I didn't feel like week 1 was terrible. I mean, I only once got A's across the board, and I failed two days of diet, and did sort of poorly a few other days. But I got on the scale last night and I was up four pounds. FOUR. Granted, it was the evening, but still. That means I was nearly back at my highest weight ever.

I'm tempted to up my goals, but I think for now it's better to just try harder to bring my A-game to my current goals, rather than sort of half-doing them and calling it a B or C.