The Easy Does Its

I found a David's Tea shop near my office - some of the blends on the website look awesome.

It's also right next to a Paul's, a French styled bakery....there may be some extreme will power in my future.  I'm a sucker for a good bakery (my current favorite is far enough out of the way that I would have to plan to go there - no "accidental" visits).

Well, today is Monday.  Whatever obstacles appeared over the weekend are gone and it is a new day.  Tally Forth!

"I have to bring my A game" she says with a mocha in her hand...

That's brilliant. The mocha shall give you energy, my good person.

To type or not type that is the thing my fingers will have to do... Get on with your magic, typing fingers!

Class and Profession: Rangers/Druid
Background: 27 year old Nerdling. Idk what to write anymore so imagine that this is a cool intro

Spoiler

Quote:

The extraordinary is in what we do, not who we are--Lara Croft.

3. STUDY! NO BE LAZY! Haul your butt over to your study table.

I should at this to my own challenge :lol: 

I made some progress with my goals. Not as much as I hoped, but Rome wasn't built on one day either.

• Like 1

It is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love.

If I ignore the weekend, I'm happy with week one. I just tend to be bad with diet on the weekend because there's no structure to it.

I did work out on Saturday, a full strength training workout for the first time since who knows when. I've done enough bits and pieces over the months, plus back PT that I wasn't too sore after.

I'm tracking this challenge with smileys on a calendar, one face for diet, one for physical, one for life. I've only got one frown all week, for diet on Thursday. A bunch of neutral faces, but every single day has at least one smile.

• Like 1

Karen

Otherwise know as Fiddle

Current Challenge

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/108280-fiddle-eats-less-and-fiddles

Past Challenges:

Jan 2016, Feb 2016, March 2016April 2016, May 2016June/July2016, July/August 2016, Sept/Oct 2016, Nov 2016, May 2017

Just got home from 2.5 days of conferencing for work. It was great, but I'm an introvert and feel completely disoriented by all the mingling.

Week 1 went great in terms of my goals. The only one I missed my target for was going to bed early.  I've already given more compliments and encouragement in one week than I set as a goal for myself all month! So maybe I'm not so bad at that after all!

All of that said, I am sort of questioning whether these are the right goals for me.

I've been following the NF Academy for about 4 months and had been following the blog for 3 months before that. So I have a pretty solid routine of lifting three times a week, eating mostly Paleo, etc. Before this challenge started, I'd spent several weeks here and there tracking my food and/or watching my macros very closely. But I have some history with disorder eating, so I have to be careful with that kind of thing.

I wanted to use this 4-week challenge to build on the good habits that I've already developed. But I'm finding that focusing on my challenge goals makes it a little easier to cheat on those habits that I'd developed (which are not explicit goals here). Decision-fatigue, I guess. Mostly, I'm worried that I'm falling off the Paleo wagon a bit, because tracking food is not one of my goals.

I've been pretty disciplined about the Paleo diet for a while but was getting kind of tired of all the tracking. Now that food isn't an explicit goal, I feel myself having more cravings and wanting to indulge in all the things I haven't been indulging in these past several months. I suppose this might just be some backlash or whiplash or something from all that tracking I was doing. I know in the long term, I want to find balance: eating Paleo as much as possible, while still indulging in some sugars and carbs when I want and within reason. What's tricky is finding the right balance so that I'm not feeling deprived and then wanting to indulge, if that makes sense.

Thoughts?

Go to Bed Early

16.67%
16.67%

Walk More

25%
25%

Fast in the Morning

37.5%
37.5%

Compliment or Encourage Someone

125%
125%

Just got home from 2.5 days of conferencing for work. It was great, but I'm an introvert and feel completely disoriented by all the mingling.

Week 1 went great in terms of my goals. The only one I missed my target for was going to bed early.  I've already given more compliments and encouragement in one week than I set as a goal for myself all month! So maybe I'm not so bad at that after all!

All of that said, I am sort of questioning whether these are the right goals for me.

I've been following the NF Academy for about 4 months and had been following the blog for 3 months before that. So I have a pretty solid routine of lifting three times a week, eating mostly Paleo, etc. Before this challenge started, I'd spent several weeks here and there tracking my food and/or watching my macros very closely. But I have some history with disorder eating, so I have to be careful with that kind of thing.

I wanted to use this 4-week challenge to build on the good habits that I've already developed. But I'm finding that focusing on my challenge goals makes it a little easier to cheat on those habits that I'd developed (which are not explicit goals here). Decision-fatigue, I guess. Mostly, I'm worried that I'm falling off the Paleo wagon a bit, because tracking food is not one of my goals.

I've been pretty disciplined about the Paleo diet for a while but was getting kind of tired of all the tracking. Now that food isn't an explicit goal, I feel myself having more cravings and wanting to indulge in all the things I haven't been indulging in these past several months. I suppose this might just be some backlash or whiplash or something from all that tracking I was doing. I know in the long term, I want to find balance: eating Paleo as much as possible, while still indulging in some sugars and carbs when I want and within reason. What's tricky is finding the right balance so that I'm not feeling deprived and then wanting to indulge, if that makes sense.

Thoughts?

Personally, I struggle a lot with eating healthy long term. I've got a huge sweet tooth, and sweets are just so easy to come by that I get seriously tempted every day (candy jar on a co-workers desk, vending machine in the break room, friends house with junk food, and so on). The only thing I've found that works is to give myself an allowance. So I get one sweet per day, usually 5-10% of my total calories. A giant slice of cake is too much, but three or four bites is just fine. That way I'm still eating healthy, but I know when and how I can indulge. And it makes a nice reward at the end of the day when I manage to save it that long, which is my real goal.

It would be so much easier if junk food was rarer, though.

Karen

Otherwise know as Fiddle

Current Challenge

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/108280-fiddle-eats-less-and-fiddles

Past Challenges:

Jan 2016, Feb 2016, March 2016April 2016, May 2016June/July2016, July/August 2016, Sept/Oct 2016, Nov 2016, May 2017

@The Chameleon - that makes sense - I was actually thinking about that today, if I would stick to the habits I am forming this challenge during the next one, or if they would just be replaced by new goals

@221Tea - my week is going pretty well, thanks.  Glad to hear yours is too. :)

• Like 1

Level: 15 Race: Human Class: Adventurer (Sailor Senshi/Aes Sedai)

STR: 14    DEX: 12    STA: 16   CON: 28   WIS: 26    CHA: 15 

(unspent points: 6? challenges worth)

Weight Loss Progress (SW 12/5/15 272)

Mini-Goal: Get back down to my low 152.2 - SW 6/1/17 170.4 - CW 6/10/17: 166.6

regained the last few months - back on track losing in June

My Battle Log|My NF Character Sheet

Challenges:

1/16-2/16-3/16-4/16-5/16-6/16-7/16-8/16-9/16-11/16-12/16-1/17-2/17-

double post

Challenges:

How's the week going for everyone?

I caved and in a scramble didn't grab my breakfast this morning but that's been my first slip up.

Got back on track with lunch.

One slip up in almost two weeks is pretty impressive, especially since you didn't let it linger.

I've had a couple days where I snacked on junk food all afternoon because I was too tired not to, but overall, I'm happy with how I've been eating. Although I've kind of fallen off tracking this week. I've just been really, really tired, and anything extra just feels like too much work.

The best part of this challenge is that taking the time off from walking is making a HUGE difference in my foot. It's a lot less sensitive when I push on it, and I've been able to wear more types of shoes. It still hurts to walk on it, but where before the wrong shoes were like walking on knives. Now it's just an ache.

I'm behind on e-mails being sent to prospective clients, and on writing in general. I'd like to catch up this weekend, but I don't want to spend more than a couple hours a day on it because I've got other stuff to do as well. I need more hours in the week.

• Like 1

Karen

Otherwise know as Fiddle

Current Challenge

Past Challenges:

hope everyone is having a good weekend!

• Like 1

Challenges:

Hello all, how is everyone doing after two weeks?  I had another good week.  Two A weeks so far, two more to go.  I AM going to kill this challenge LOL.

focus reality

Time to get started on week 3!

New week

Good luck everyone, and if you are having a rough time of it remember the following:

Bad days

and always

Awesome

• Like 1

B'ker Level 1 Half-elf Ranger  STR: 3  DEX: 3  CON: 3  INT: 3  WIS: 2  CHA: 2

Bker Survives December Challenge Tracking Spreadsheet

Walking to Mordor (2019) Spreadsheet

MyFitnessPal | FitBit | Instagram

Walking to Mordor 1879.44 miles/1779 miles

Mini Challenge:  Week 1:  | Week 2:  | Week 3 | Week 4 | Week 5 |

So I just realized the challenge is actually only 25 days, not four weeks and now I'm staring at a calendar trying to squeeze in my last remaining strong lifts workouts in the next 12 days =P

I've been trying to only schedule two weekday gym nights because I know that come 5:00, I'm usually exhausted and just want to get home. Alternatively, if I postpone until later in the night, there is a good chance that the sweat pants go on at home and I just don't get out the door.

What's everyone's strategy for hitting the gym? Are you an early bird/before work? Don't let yourself go home until you get the work out in on the way home?

What's everyone's strategy for hitting the gym? Are you an early bird/before work? Don't let yourself go home until you get the work out in on the way home?

I have to do it right after work or it isn't happening, especially after I have dinner. Likewise on days off. If I don't do it right away in the AM I won't do it at all.

• Like 1

Level 6 Halfling Adventurer

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/8773

The only thing I've found that works is to give myself an allowance. So I get one sweet per day, usually 5-10% of my total calories. A giant slice of cake is too much, but three or four bites is just fine. That way I'm still eating healthy, but I know when and how I can indulge. And it makes a nice reward at the end of the day when I manage to save it that long, which is my real goal.

Love this idea. I do something similar occasionally... when I find myself overcome by cravings, I know I need to work a little more pleasure into my life ;)

Week 2 was hard for me. Maybe it was because my boss was in town and being super hard on everyone and I constantly wanted a beer when I got home, maybe it's because I had an errand to run every single evening after work, maybe it's because my SO and I are both trying to navigate buying a house and figuring out the ifs/whos/whats/whens/wheres/whys/hows of possibly having a wedding at some point in the forseeable future, maybe it's because I kept forgetting to take my vitamin D supplement and I'm SUPER TIRED because of it (I have a deficiency). Speaking of which, I should go take that now.

Generally, my food intake quantity was good... But I kept going out to eat just to get out of the office for an hour.

I drank... More beer than I counted and definitely more than I should have.

I did exactly 1 lifting workout, and I cried at the end because I was frustrated and tired.

But I think I'm mostly back on track this week. Just lifted and finally got comfortable with squatting with the barbell again. Warming up is necessary!

I think I'm going to try to remind myself that technically speaking, my eating/drinking goal means that if I want an A, I can't have a beer. Considering being strict Sunday-Friday and only drinking on Saturday... Which will probably mean I average out to 1 caloric drink a day, rather than an average of 2 a day because I have 1 every day and then like 7 on Saturday...

I also think I need to switch back to the warrior class... I think I'm more of a 'warrior with ADD tendencies.' Which actually kind of sucks because I want to be well-rounded in my fitness, I just don't really enjoy running or yoga or hiking in any serious capacity, just in a 'sometimes I'm in the mood for it' capacity.

I like to do my gym workouts first thing in the morning. It's not always easy to get out of bed (especially now that it's cold), but I know that working out in the morning makes the rest of my day go such much better. My best strategy, though, is to sleep in my workout gear. Even if I get up and start doing other things in the morning, it's like I can't take a shower or change my clothes without first going to the gym...

Love this idea. I do something similar occasionally... when I find myself overcome by cravings, I know I need to work a little more pleasure into my life ;)

I've found this to be helpful too. I'm not a cold turkey kind of gal. So this week's treat are those little 150 cal ice cream cones. I eat well the rest of the day and make a little room to accommodate a small treat and I don't feel like I'm cheating. I find if it's an "I worked hard and tracked/exercised today and I can have this without going over!" then it's an accomplishment/reward, not something to feel guilty about. The key is moderation and it being the exception, not the rule. =) 

Week 2 was hard for me. Maybe it was because my boss was in town and being super hard on everyone and I constantly wanted a beer when I got home, maybe it's because I had an errand to run every single evening after work, maybe it's because my SO and I are both trying to navigate buying a house and figuring out the ifs/whos/whats/whens/wheres/whys/hows of possibly having a wedding at some point in the forseeable future, maybe it's because I kept forgetting to take my vitamin D supplement and I'm SUPER TIRED because of it (I have a deficiency). Speaking of which, I should go take that now.

Generally, my food intake quantity was good... But I kept going out to eat just to get out of the office for an hour.

I drank... More beer than I counted and definitely more than I should have.

I did exactly 1 lifting workout, and I cried at the end because I was frustrated and tired.

But I think I'm mostly back on track this week. Just lifted and finally got comfortable with squatting with the barbell again. Warming up is necessary!

I think I'm going to try to remind myself that technically speaking, my eating/drinking goal means that if I want an A, I can't have a beer. Considering being strict Sunday-Friday and only drinking on Saturday... Which will probably mean I average out to 1 caloric drink a day, rather than an average of 2 a day because I have 1 every day and then like 7 on Saturday...

Stress is rough! Definitely a stress eater/exercise avoider here. Usually after I get 2-3 weeks into a program, I start looking forward to the work out time. Because it's something that requires my entire focus, you know? Maybe start thinking about that as dedicated Grizzy-Time and not a chore. Easier said than done, but it's 30 minutes you can focus on your butt and arms, and not work/home search/beer. And moderation on the beer - try to make that Saturday beer a reward for a good week of eating!

Stress is rough! Definitely a stress eater/exercise avoider here. Usually after I get 2-3 weeks into a program, I start looking forward to the work out time. Because it's something that requires my entire focus, you know? Maybe start thinking about that as dedicated Grizzy-Time and not a chore. Easier said than done, but it's 30 minutes you can focus on your butt and arms, and not work/home search/beer. And moderation on the beer - try to make that Saturday beer a reward for a good week of eating!

Yeah, I definitely get this! I often look forward to workouts, but this last week, every time it was workout time I was just falling asleep, so it didn't happen. Maybe everytime I want a beer I should distract myself with some relaxing stretching and meditation! (since I gotta rest and shouldn't be throwing in extra strength workouts willy-nilly).