• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Woot! Did a yoga class this morning and did a little kettlebelling this evening without a problem. Getups were no problem. I did two sets of swings, and I'll see how I feel tomorrow before I increase that. But I am moving around 95% normal.

• Like 2

On 1/5/2016 at 7:52 AM, Darth Yoga said:

I'm still a beginner at the TGUs but they seem like exactly the sort of thing where I'd expect a very rapid improvement in the first few months. It is a complex movement, and your body needs to learn how to organize itself efficiently for maximum power. So when you start out, it feels like, "Damn, I can barely do this with 20lb" because you are not using your strength efficiently. One you get the hang of it, even though you aren't vastly stronger, you are now using 90% of your strength to do the weight, rather than 20%.

Just in the past few weeks, 35lb TGUs have gone from "No f-in way" flailing like a bug on the ground to "Yeah, lets get a 35lb kb after this challenge." And that is strictly an increase in skill, not strength.

You're on the right path. I am a big man and I was bigger when I started S&S a few months ago. I couldn't do a TGU to save my life the first few tries, but I took my time without weight. Now, two months later, I am working my way toward the "Simple" standard. It's still a long way off, but I can do a 24kg getup 5x1/side continuously now. All it takes it just taking your time with it. I'm trying to get the 32kg to go up, but I'm stuck at the tall sit with it. But, time and effort will have me putting that 32kg in up and down. 

So, keep up the good work. S&S has been one of the best programs I've ever done. I'm a lot leaner and stronger in ways I wasn't getting with a barbell. The latter is my fault because I'm sure you can train the right way, but I wasn't. This just simplified things for me.

Power to you!

• Like 2

On 1/3/2016 at 4:48 PM, Darth Yoga said:

S&S question - Three sets of five prying goblet squats seems kind of excessive as a warm up if you spend any time at the bottom actually "prying" or curling. Am I reading it wrong? 

My impression was that ONE prying goblet squat involves squatting down, doing various twisting/prying movements to open the hip, and doing a few curls basically to rock back and forth, and then coming up. Are you actually supposed to do five of these squats on each of the three circuits of mobility drills? Maybe my yoga background means I wildly overestimate how long you are intended to stay in the squat each time, but it is 2-3 minutes for me to do one set of 5 of these. Even if I really blow through them, three circuits of the mobility drills is well over five minutes, and with the squats done in the way they are described it is more like ten minutes. And it does clearly say, "Do five reps, resting between them if necessary." Geez, if I took any rest between the squats, this starts being a 15 minute warm-up, for a 15-20 minute workout. And if you did 3 circuits of the finishing stretches (it says do 1-3) you'd surely be spending more time on stretches than on the main workout.

I realize some people do that, because they really value mobility so highly, but I'm assuming this is not the case with Simple & Sinister, because right after describing these drills, Pavel admonishes, "DON'T BE A SISSY. KEEP YOUR WARM-UP SHORT." in all caps, in bold, circled in red. 

I'm trying to really be good and do this program by the book, but I'm really tempted to just do one real good prying squat for each circuit of the mobility drills.

Honestly, I do the pry on the first five, then I do slow descent on the last two sets of goblet. I can always tell when I have loosened up because I can go much deeper. Just feel out your body on it. I like the goblet just for mobility sake. I am much more flexible than two months ago because of them. i could bbarely get below parallel when I started. Fitness is being able to move. The rest is a byproduct.

1 hour ago, Swinging Papa Bear said:

Honestly, I do the pry on the first five, then I do slow descent on the last two sets of goblet. I can always tell when I have loosened up because I can go much deeper. Just feel out your body on it. I like the goblet just for mobility sake. I am much more flexible than two months ago because of them. i could bbarely get below parallel when I started. Fitness is being able to move. The rest is a byproduct.

That makes sense. I'm no longer doing Simple and Sinister as my main workout, but I do  it occasionally.  Glad it is working so well for you

10 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Wow. A 24kg get up is impressive.

Thanks, Sloth.

I honestly didn't know if that would go up when I first tried it. It was an immediate sense of "Um, is this going to come down on my head?" Turns out, you can get a lot stronger just through confidence (not overconfidence). 

There's something to be said about prepping your mind for work that lets the body know what to bring to the party. When I got my 32kg bell about two weeks ago, I did some swings with it and, then, went back to the 24kg for the get up. The 24 felt like a paperweight, relatively speaking. The CNS was primed by the heavier weight. Just keep up with what you're doing. You will get where you want to go.

• Like 2